Mentioning Fan Translations on the Wiki

doomed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 20

#1  Edited By doomed

Should completed translations be listed on wiki pages for their associated games? What about in-progress ones (projects that are actively being worked on)?

The Mother 3 page mentions its fan-translation.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Yea, I was wondering if I could create a fan translation page for the wiki. On the one hand, it's a pretty damn important concept to many games, such as Mother 3 and Final Fantasy V. On the other hand, I can see how it could encourage piracy, especially with older games.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By StarFoxA

Typically I mention it. It's relevant to the game in question, so why not include it?

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By MikkaQ

Maybe a page on fan translations in general, speaking about some specific examples while keeping that content out of the page of the main game would be best.

It just doesn't seem relevant to a given game as to whether it's been fan-translated or not because it's all unofficial. It's a weird path to go down because do we then start cataloging other kinds of game mods? Total conversions? Popular texture packs? Like where does that end?

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

#5  Edited By musubi
@MikkaQ

Maybe a page on fan translations in general, speaking about some specific examples while keeping that content out of the page of the main game would be best.

It just doesn't seem relevant to a given game as to whether it's been fan-translated or not because it's all unofficial. It's a weird path to go down because do we then start cataloging other kinds of game mods? Total conversions? Popular texture packs? Like where does that end?

I concur. Having a concept page with attached games seems like a better idea.
huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By huntad

@MikkaQ: I vote for this as well. It can be mentioned on that page, or people can just find out it has one and google it.

StarFoxA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 12

#7  Edited By StarFoxA

@MikkaQ said:

I guess the difference is that since this site is English focused, fan translations are relevant to the English reading audience. Wikipedia definitely mentions fan translations (just as an example). It's possible to do that without mentioning texture packs, ROM hacks, conversions, etc.

MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By MikkaQ

@StarFoxA said:

@MikkaQ said:

I guess the difference is that since this site is English focused, fan translations are relevant to the English reading audience. Wikipedia definitely mentions fan translations (just as an example). It's possible to do that without mentioning texture packs, ROM hacks, conversions, etc.

But for someone looking to get info on the actual game, to have fan-created material on there just doesn't feel right. Like I kinda get the Mother 3 thing since it's the most prolific fan-translation I can think of, which even had a bound strategy guide, at the end of the day, the game was never released here and it's not in English. It's a Japanese game. The fan translation is just a supplement for people who can't speak Japanese. It has nothing to do with the original game as it is. I feel like a separate concept page for fan-translations, like the one we have for mods is a better place to put that information.

I just feel like having that within pages opens things up to like talking about Kaizo Mario on the Super Mario World page. It just feels weird to have non-commercial mods on a wiki that goes as far as listing individual SKUs and releases for a given game.

But whatever, I'm not exactly mad passionate for the wiki anyway, just my two cents.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King

@MikkaQ:

For many games, though, it's relevant as hell. With Tear Ring Saga, it's hard to talk about its reception outside Japan without mentioning that the game got massively more popular when a partial fan translation came along. Hell, Final Fantasy V could probably have an entire section dedicated to its fan translation, given how important it is to the game's history.

Hunter5024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#10  Edited By Hunter5024

I like knowing about fan translations, so I say we should, but I have 0 wiki points so feel free to ignore me.

sodacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

#11  Edited By sodacat

@MikkaQ said:

Wiki pages already have reception subsections, and critical and commercial reception don't have anything to do with the game either.