What would you call this concept?

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By mosespippy

A number of games use flocks of birds to indicate where the player should go. Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, I think some of the Prince of Persia games did, and so on. It's a subtle way to guide the player. Maybe there is a psychological or design term for it. Anyone have any thoughts?

jaycrockett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By jaycrockett

Environmental cues? No idea really, but there is a distinction between-in world visuals vs. artificial glowing colors, outlines, arrows, etc. Being bird-based might be a bit specific.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

I'd go with environmental cues. Cthulhu Saves the World does something similar with torches.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#4  Edited By Justin258

Flocking birds!

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mosespippy

Maybe Environmental Cues is the right term (if a bit broad) but other than this and natural lighting what other environmental cues are there?

Edit: If we do go with environmental cues than something bird related should be an alias so that people who notice all these birds in their adventure games can find it when they put bird in the search.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 30

#6  Edited By BeachThunder

You could create both concepts - Environmental Cues and Birds as Environmental Cues.

Also, did this really happen in Mirror's Edge? Maybe I'm a little unobservant/forgetful D:

mosespippy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mosespippy

@BeachThunder: I turned off the runner vision my first time through the game since I didn't want the game shoving in my face where I should go. Since I wasn't looking at red lines everywhere I probably noticed the rest of the environment more. Did you notice the rat (named November) or the Mirror's Edge signs anywhere there is a path to a hidden bag? Those were other subtle things to show where the player might want to explore.

Avatar image for the_laughing_man
The_Laughing_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By The_Laughing_Man
@mosespippy said:

A number of games use flocks of birds to indicate where the player should go. Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Mirror's Edge, I think some of the Prince of Persia games did, and so on. It's a subtle way to guide the player. Maybe there is a psychological or design term for it. Anyone have any thoughts?

Uncharted also kinda had shiney hand holds remember?