Anyone else playing?

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Does anyone else have an affinity for PB games like I do? Not very far into this, but I really dig the world building and exploration here even more so than other PB games. It's a very slow start, glitchy, and has all the jank present in other PB games, but I'm really into it. I'm not too keen on how stamina plays into combat (yet), but like most things in PB games, getting used to all its systems and upgrading stuff is the main lure. It's not for everyone, but if you like semi-broken ambitious games, give this one a shot. I'd also recommend checking out a combat guide on YouTube as the game doesn't do a great job of explaining it. It's timing based with special attacks and a stamina meter.

Do keep in mind that it does have a slow start, my first 2 hours were spent talking to people in the first town and accepting menial tasks. You do get a good amount of world building, but the voice acting....isn't great. It seems to be opening up a fair bit now that I'm getting a handle on the game flow. Oh, and this game does take its rules seriously and it looks like actions have great consequences.

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I plan on it. But I'll wait for a price drop. I love most every PB game. I wasn't even aware this game existed until the quick look showed up.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

#3 sparky_buzzsaw  Online

Definitely planning on it when there's a significant price drop.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I wish I was. Gothic 2 is one of my favourite games of all time so I love PB games. I even pre-ordered it but I promised myself I wouldn't dive in until finishing Divinity, so I may not get to play it for months. Glad to see the reception is generally positive from other people who like these types of games.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I don't have a huge affinity for past PB games. I have some fond memories of playing Gothic 1 and 2 when I was younger but I never got very far into them. I kind of picked this up because I didn't have much else to play while waiting for Wolf 2 and AC Origins. And so far I'm glad I did because I'm enjoying it for the most part.

What I like the most about it is how detailed the open world is and how fun it is to explore. And I like how leveling up and acquiring skills and new weapons/armor in this game actually feels significant. For example early on I was getting frustrated with how little stamina I had in combat, so I saved up in order to buy the skill that upgrades it and boy, it made a whole lot of difference. And that's basically how most of the game feels. Every step and choice you make in this game is noticeable and feels significant which also makes it exciting.

I've pretty much lost most of my good will with at least 2 factions at this point because of some screw ups and also personal decisions. But I have no problem playing as a lone wolf, although I read somewhere it apparently makes the game much harder later on.

Itwastuesday

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Itwastuesday

I really liked Gothic 2 a long time ago and I didn't play any Piranha Bytes games afterwards. I did buy this one. I think the world is fun to explore and the jetpack is a cool way to let the player poke around dangerous areas. That said, this game is R O U G H in so many ways and I'm not sure I would recommend it to just about anyone. I probably won't finish it.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I really dig it so far. Im only about 4 hours in though so everything kills me easily. Its definitely a typical mess of a game like all PB games but I really dig the setting and exploring the world. I just wish they were better as designing gameplay.

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By soulcake

Digging into it was a big fan of Gothic 2 at the time i am trying this one out and it's got me hooked even with all the jank. The part where you almost have to cheese your way out of every battle is something to behold but after you get your first companion ( for the love of god get him as fast as possible ) it tends to ease up, I am 7 hours in joined a faction explored the map a bit and generally having a fun time. If your into PB games or open world rpg's with a lot of jank try this one out on a steam sale. This might be my best worst game of 2017 if that's even a thing.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I will basically echo other sentiments. I have dropped 20 some hours into this thing, despite it having completely janky gameplay and even storytelling. The number of times the dialogue trees don't make sense has me vacillate from being amused by it to being frustrated by the utter lack of polish.

Having said that, I think I'm enjoying it? I can't seem to stop playing, either way. They do have a pretty good fast travel system that has me saying "Just one more quick quest" a lot, and staying up until 2AM. I am having basically the same reaction to this as I did to Risen on console. Which I guess is a good thing? I finished Risen 5 times and sunk like 250 hours into it. It's definitively my favorite pretty bad game of all time.

Anyway, in closing, I like PB's design ideas, and think they are forward thinking in a lot of ways. Or at least, they were...it's odd that they keep doing literally the same thing every game now. Not even really iterating, just doing the exact same thing. I would love to see them make something with the same base concepts, but better polish and maybe pushed just a little bit further.

This post turned out longer than I thought. I guess the short version is, I'm playing it, don't know if I'm enjoying it, but it feels like I am but it also is kind of bad?

xamon0288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really enjoy PB games, flaws and all. They are endearing in weird ways. One of the biggest strength of those games are the world and the quests. Both come together to produce a quirky yet fun to explore game. Though I should add that PB kinda has been doing the same games in different settings since I am going to say Risen but they are still rather fun.

Elex is looking like it can be a lot of fun but I am going to wait before I grab it, too many games as is this fall.

On a side note, Spiders (Mars War Logs, Technomancer) games hit the same itch for me.

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

Those people who are waiting for a sale are probably smart. I already had to forfeit getting Mario Odyssey and Wolfenstein so that I could play this. Not saying I regret the purchase, but waiting might've been better.

xamon0288

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers: I feel like within 5 months, Elex will be like $15-20 which is the sweet spot for this game for me. Also with Wolfenstein, AC Origins and Forza, I have my cup for for the rest of the year.

TheSlipgate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By TheSlipgate

I've been playing, pretty good so far.

Combat feels a little dodgy tho, and I've gotten stuck on a fair few objects. But its to be expected from a PB game.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I have no past experience with "PB" games, so i went into this expecting something a bit more...put together. I love how absolutely weird it is that this game even exists, and the idea of exploring this world for a couple dozen hours is actually really enticing, but its hard. I just can't handle the character models constantly glitching out, and the clunky and ugly menus, along with just getting stuck on geometry and constantly worrying that moving naturally is going to crash the thing again. Do these guys tend to "fix" their games over time, or is this a fair portrait of their work?

spamfromthecan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gtb08: I'm not sure they've ever patched a game. At least not that I'm aware. There are lots of unofficial patches for their games on PC. But I am honestly not aware of any official patches for any of their games. Their games are what they are. And its part of the "euro jank" charm. I hate that term. But its "popular" term for these types of games.

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SethMode

This might sound sarcastic, but honestly it isn't. Can someone that is smarter than me explain what is going on in the story? I am into Chapter 3, and between the fact that English wasn't the devs first language, and how some of the quests can be done out of order with very little conceivable adjustment, I feel lost. I get that Jax has amnesia (I think?) but am I supposed to be clueless as to why he is where he is and why everyone can tell he is no longer an All? I remember Risen and Gothic having kind of similarly disjointed storytelling due to their open nature, but I don't remember feeling like something crucial is missing. Or again, maybe I am supposed to be lost. I did get like a Revan from KoTOR vibe at one point.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sethmode: I don't think it's ever implied that Jax has amnesia. He was shot down and double crossed by his own brother (that was the impression I got anyway). It's just a basic revenge tale as far as I figured. I'm not that far into the game though, but I assumed you're hiding your true identity to get ahead in the world you're finding yourself in on purpose, rather than him not knowing what he is and why he is where he is. The writing just isn't good enough to actually underline that enough I think. I sometimes feel like the dialogue over-explain the most basic ideas and sometimes it seems to leave out things it assumes you knows for some reason. But I get what you're saying, playing it I feel like someone on that team has this idea of what the story is and the nuances with which it is told, but it didn't entirely translate into the game.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

After putting about 25 hours into this game I think I am done with it. The combat is just too frustrating to continue playing. It's just a mess, plain and simple. The camera will bug out, switching targets will not function properly, my character will start walking in the opposite direction I'm trying to go while I'm using a health potion or stim pack and as a result will walk directly into the enemy, sometimes certain actions will just stop working completely, and this has not just happened once or twice. Sometimes I cannot roll anymore (not stamina related) for whatever reason, sometimes I cannot use items anymore. It's a shame but the combat is broken.

Like trying to beat some of the tougher monsters and some of the bosses later on in this game is just a matter of praying for the combat to not break, and then spending 30 minutes to an hour just retrying the same shit over and over because something always fucks up and gets you instantly killed. And then maybe finally you have that lucky run or have to cheese the fight to your advantage and it just doesn't feel like much of a satisfaction.

fugie7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

i think i will start playing this game once the video game rush release died down..lol

SethMode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Boy the "ending" of this game sure is something. And yes, by something, I mean a buggy, glitchy, framey, and confusing mess.