EVE Online 2014 Trailer

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

There's a few major things that EVE Online has been known for over the years. It's a complex game. There's a lot of material for making spreadsheets (if that's your thing). But one of the most agreed upon points is that it's trailers are always seen as some of the best in the industry. As an EVE player, I tend to agree that the trailers are awesome but the cynic in me also wants to say that they are not always based in reality. Take the Eve Retribution trailer from 2 years ago. It shows a guy who "made the mistake of his life" in killing "the wrong people". While this can happen, it never really happens like this. Its a fun trailer and incredibly campy but maybe not the most faithful to the game.

The 2014 Trailer is completely different in that all of these events can, and did, happen in EVE. Months ago, CCP asked for excerpts from people's recorded voice communications while they were playing the game with their friends. What makes this such an outstanding trailer is that it captures all of the feelings that make eve different from almost every other MMO. Its a game that transforms into something greater than the sum of its parts when you play with the right people and this trailer does more to explain why I keep playing more than anything else I could put into words.

What do you guys think?

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

It's not a game I'm particularly interested in playing, but I love that it exists.

Unbridled market economy and mafia-like tactics. It's a sight to be behold.

gnu2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They've done an excellent job with that trailer - even moreso as those are all legit fleet comms from around the ingame galaxy.

I think a lot of the recent changes CCP has made to the game have been for the better (infini-skillqueue!) and there have been so many little incremental quality of life improvements that take some of the clunkier stuff out of the game. It's a great time if any duders want to jump in, and we have a large support structure and a whole region to live in so you don't have to get herded into highsec mining by the tutorials and can just get on with exploding shiny spaceships.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 9

Haha, yeah, alright, that's pretty good.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ohhh man. That trailer REALLY makes me want to play this again. I really need to find a good UK based corp though. Every time I've played this game before I've ended up in corps that are US based.

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's definitely a pretty great trailer, probably the best they've done ever. I think it's amazing that those are actual players.

Anyway, it's shameless plug time. If your interest was piqued, there's a space guild by duders for duders. If you are ever interested in trying out EVE, please stop by Kite Co. Space Trucking.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

CCP has burned me way too many times over the past decade. Nice trailer, for sure, but I've played a fair bit and the game is nothing like this most of the time...

Ramone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

That trailer was amazing, I'm really tempted to jump back into EVE now.

Avatar image for shadowbladeedge
ShadowbladeEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By ShadowbladeEdge

@mister_v said:

Ohhh man. That trailer REALLY makes me want to play this again. I really need to find a good UK based corp though. Every time I've played this game before I've ended up in corps that are US based.

Not to shill to hard, but Kite Co. might be right for you. We have a good portion of EUs, and on the weekends people get on and/or earlier stay up later to hang around with each other. There are also plenty of people in Brave Collective, our alliance, who play during the EU timezone, so there's that too.

To add on, all Giantbomb members are always welcome to join Kite Co. Space Trucking. Join the in game chat channel giantbombing if you want to talk with us before hand.

If you're new, or want to start a fresh account, we can hook you up with a 3 week trial, instead of the regular 2 week one. Just PM me or jesterroyal or KingGriddra, or all of us, and we'll get you set.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v said:

Not to shill to hard, but Kite Co. might be right for you. We have a good portion of EUs, and on the weekends people get on and/or earlier stay up later to hang around with each other. There are also plenty of people in Brave Collective, our alliance, who play during the EU timezone, so there's that too.

To add on, all Giantbomb members are always welcome to join Kite Co. Space Trucking. Join the in game chat channel giantbombing if you want to talk with us before hand.

If you're new, or want to start a fresh account, we can hook you up with a 3 week trial, instead of the regular 2 week one. Just PM me or jesterroyal or KingGriddra, or all of us, and we'll get you set.

I was in Kite co for a while last year. Wasn't much going on in the EU timezone when I was on. Nice that it seems things have improved in that regard. If I sign back up ill hit you guys up again. ( I assume I have been booted at this point)

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We don't boot people under normal circumstances. You should still be in corp if you ever want to drop by again.

Avatar image for connerthekewlkid
connerthekewlkid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Just when I thought I was out they pull me back in"

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Edraii

Man, that does want to make me try again, just every time I get into eve things go horribly wrong!

First time - Got to busy with school to continue, was bad at the game
Second Try - Got in a nice corp that got a wormhole base up, corp leadership went awry and everything got nuked (iirc, might be subjective memory).
Third try - Got a job, guess how that went for eve!

Things change much over the last year or so?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

God damn does EVE make a good trailer

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edraii said:

Things change much over the last year or so?

They're adding manual control (WASD) on December 9th.

Boywonder03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just came here to say how hype this trailer made me for EVE. Those BNI and HERO clips were pretty great.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@edraii: Well, eve got less "obtuse" over the past year. Industry has a better UI that makes much more sense. Soon you wont lose skillpoints when you die (which is great). And there seem to be many more changes to come.

You just gotta get with a fun group of guys and hang out with them. Eve is a game about the community mostly so I'd encourage you to come back and give it a shot. I've got a full time job but theres always time for hobbies. And at least in Kite Co. we never issue some sort of demand that you show up or get kicked because we all know at the end of the day its just a game and should be a fun thing and not a responsibility.

me3639

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By me3639

Its an epic trailer and just shows to the know it alls, that yea people in hard core games do talk like that. That build up to when that guy is counting down is pretty awesome.

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Edraii

Yeah I was going to ask about Kite.Co, it sounds like it's alive and kicking? The name is quite appealing now since that job I mentioned was to drive trucks (light 3-3,5 ton trucks to be fair) for a living.

So do you take in objectively bad players that finally got the drake he wanted and lost said drake soon after because... yaknow, like I knew how to fly one? ;)

chadj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By chadj

I thought the trailer was absolutely amazing!

I'm already an Eve player (and a member of Kite Co). I've largely been playing Eve as a miner and industrialist. I like to think I'm living out Dave Snider's original Eve dream (see this bombcast at 48:00 for what I'm talking about).

I don't personally have a lot of large, or small, fleet experience. But there was the one time that I joined a huge 700 man BRAVE (our alliance) defensive fleet and this trailer was definitely very reminiscent of what I experienced. As we were waiting for the enemy to show up the leaders of my wing were giving out clear instructions on what to do, what to expect, how to stay alive longer, and what todo once you go boom. I had a blast that night.

Eve is great, everyone should give it a shot. Don't let its reputation stop you from trying! I'm terrible at games, heck I'm terrible at Eve yet I still really enjoying playing it .

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kinggiddra
@edraii said:

So do you take in objectively bad players that finally got the drake he wanted and lost said drake soon after because... yaknow, like I knew how to fly one? ;)

The only requirement to joining Kite Co. is being a duder. That's literally it.

No Caption Provided
Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Edraii

@kinggiddra said:
@edraii said:

The only requirement to joining Kite Co. is being a duder. That's literally it.

Oh I think I can manage that much, I heard there was a return trial thing for old players, is that return thing still running?

If not I'll see around my next paycheck (Should be Monday), I frankly don't remember much about the state of my stuff, is there any way to check skills/location and such while inactive? I was out in null last I remember, probably booted from the mining corp I was in back then.

[Edit]Does EveMon work while inactive?

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I love this trailer; these aren't huge game changing moments, that will forever alter the course of New Eden, just normal everyday adventures in space that became something special because that's what happens in the sandbox. It wont happen every time you undock, but it can happen and that's what continues to make EVE so very special. I'll join my Kite Co. friends in shilling our excellent corporation to all you fine duders who might be on the fence. If you have even the small interest, come give us a try!

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Edraii

Where are you located right now? Maybe I'm asking to much in this thread.

And yeah, that trailer is what brought my interest back!

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're out in null sec with the brave collective in a region called Catch. Its a system called W-MPTH. We put up a station there and dedicated it to Ryan Davis and its our home for however long we keep in Catch.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah... This makes me want to play again.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By jesterroyal
Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Edraii

Any easy way I can ask a few question without logging into eve instead of clogging this page? Since I'm not sure about/can't pay for a re-sub till monday anyway.

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You can direct message jesterroyal on GB. I'm sure he'll get back to you quickly, but feel free to contact myself, KingGiddra, and Shadowbladeedge if you don't get a quick response back. We can yell at Jester directly!

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Edraii

Well, Dug up my toon and I realized I'm stuck deep in Tribute (not verge, my bad) in a drake, somehow I think not getting shot on sight might have expired about a year ago. Was hoping there was some magic advice here!

I'll PM then.

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IIRC you can contact CCP and they'll move your character, plus whatever you ship you are in (and whatever you can stuff in the cargo) to a high sec location.

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Edraii

@sadisticwolf said:

IIRC you can contact CCP and they'll move your character, plus whatever you ship you are in (and whatever you can stuff in the cargo) to a high sec location.

Sounds like a lifesaver? I used to be part of a CO2 corp there when I was last active about 15 months ago and if I remember they do not like neutrals in their space... Or people that have been inactive for over a year, but who knows, maybe if I ask nicely (Given EVE, sorta doubt that)

If I log back in and was docked at a private station, will it eject me if I'm no longer a member or can I stay docked to sort things out?

SadisticWOlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By SadisticWOlf

If you have been kicked from your corporation, or if sov has been transferred to another entity, you'll remain in the station until you choose to undock. If you do undock, you will be unable to redock. A quick check of DOTLAN shows that portions of Tribute remain in C02's possession so as long as you haven't been scrubbed from their roster, you will likely still have docking permission. I've never had to contact CCP about moving, so I don't really know how you would go about doing so. I believe there is an option to "contact support" in their options menu, I'm sure that's the best place to start on asking how to be moved.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We're out in null sec with the brave collective in a region called Catch. Its a system called W-MPTH. We put up a station there and dedicated it to Ryan Davis and its our home for however long we keep in Catch.

How far is that from the first place we moved to after high sec? I stopped playing not long after we moved out of high sec. I'm wondering how much of a pain it's going to be to move all my shit.

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By flasaltine

@flasaltine: Hrm.. I think i saw you log in today =p

I did. I clicked a thing on the website and it gave me 4 hours of play time. I also think it fucked me from using it again in the future because I didn't use a plex or something. Still debating if I want to pay.

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mister_v: If you're talking about VLGDR in Syndicate, our new home is indeed a fair distance away. Depending on how much stuff you have, the corp's own hauling service may be able to help you out.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Subjugation

@mister_v: Do you remember which system we were in at the time you stopped playing? I assume you mean the places we lived after Orvolle (the system we lived in back during the huge fanfest surge) ? After that we moved to Poitot for a brief time, then moved out to the VLGD-R/ 9GYLO pocket, so I'm guessing your stuff is in one of those spots.

Honestly, depending on how much stuff you have, you may be better off just forgetting about it and just getting set up in our new place. It's pretty easy to make isk here and dudes will be more than willing to help you get on your feet if you're space destitute.

Mister_V

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@subjugation: Poitot that's it. I had some stuff in poitot but I think a lot of it was still in orvolle. How far away from there are you?

FirePrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've always thought about diving in EVE Online, but I don't know if I'll even be able to start properly, as it seems insanely complicated. If I do get the game, I'm thinking I'll play it on by the time christmas rolls along so I'll have some extra free time. Any tips?

IVmost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fireprince said:

I've always thought about diving in EVE Online, but I don't know if I'll even be able to start properly, as it seems insanely complicated. If I do get the game, I'm thinking I'll play it on by the time christmas rolls along so I'll have some extra free time. Any tips?

It is not as complicated as it seems the tutorials are pretty good for the basics of the gameplay. One of our members did a few forums post on his first four weeks of EvE which he mentions some of the stuff he learned. Although he is into mining which I don't recommend but he really likes:

http://www.giantbomb.com/eve-online/3030-14447/forums/1-week-in-eve-dont-fly-what-you-cant-lose-1487407/#14http://www.giantbomb.com/eve-online/3030-14447/forums/1-week-in-eve-dont-fly-what-you-cant-lose-1487407/#14

Vikkiman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Any tips?

Walk through the tutorials and learn the most basic of the basics, then dive right in to some fleet action. The biggest thing I see that holds newbros back is that they are worried about not being "good enough" and feel they have to spend time grinding isk and floating around in highsec before they can be useful in a fleet. It's just not true! Get in a cheap ship and go explode it by diving head first into some pvp. Every death is a learning experience and getting out there and having fun in EVE is crucial to actually staying with the game. Kite Co. has a lot of cool dudes that are more than happy to help you out and we never get tired of answering questions. Even if Kite isn't running a fleet, we are part of one of the largest alliances in the game that also happens to be noob friendly! Brave Collective is getting a huge influx of new players right now so you won't be alone. Just yesterday I saw about 5 different fleets dedicated to newbros.

Jumping in for the first time can be overwhelming but you'd be hard pressed to find a better group of duders to throw yourself in with. New dudes, get those trial accounts going! Retired dudes, dust off those old accounts, we didn't kick you! (Probably.)

Loading Video...

Edraii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh, is there any viable pvp build involving MWD's?

I just... kinda love MWD's is all...

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By kinggiddra

80% of PVP involves MWDs. There are certain builds which benefit ABs, but in most situations you would never be able to catch a ship that has an MWD fit.

Subjugation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Subjugation

@edraii said:

Oh, is there any viable pvp build involving MWD's?

I just... kinda love MWD's is all...

The vast majority of the time you'll have an MWD. Sometimes you'll have both an MWD and an AB. It all depends on the role of the ship you're fitting it to and what you expect to be engaging. Lots of factors to consider, but don't worry, we will explain the logic behind the fitting process so you will gain the knowledge to throw your own designs together.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#45 fisk0  Moderator

Yup, that was a fantastic trailer. Kinda wish I would've gotten into EVE, but just cancelled my account after about a year and a half without feeling it.

jesterroyal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fisk0: Its never too late. It always depends on the people you fly with, though. This has always been a game about making friends and doing cool stuff with them or at the very least interacting with other people.

Brendan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#47  Edited By Brendan

That trailer kicked ass, although I still don't want to play EVE. What are the subscriber numbers anyway? Isn't it normally rock solid at 250-500k or something?

oversteps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By oversteps

I really hope this trailer makes a headline here on Giant Bomb. It looks like Reddit is getting absolutely drowned by new players, so interest is now sky high!

The folks in Kite Co are amazing. Every time I would ask for help as a new player, four or five people would chime in with tidbits of advice, answering all of the questions I had before I even thought to type them out. Brilliant. If you're on the fence, please, please join these guys. You absolutely won't regret it.

As for the game itself, it's incredible because of how "real" it is. This trailer sums up everything that makes EVE so amazing, and all of it—literally, 100% of it—centers on one key fact: The people. That's EVE's spark. EVE is all about the people you fly with. Kudos to CCP for releasing a video that shows that off in the best possible way.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#49  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@jesterroyal: Yeah, I play(ed) with Kite Co, and they're a great group, but this just isn't my kind of game.

I guess I'll stick with offline space trading games (which is also why I was really disappointed in the recent Elite news).

kinggiddra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By kinggiddra

For anyone that's considering playing, I'd like to throw another curveball. Right now, EVE is being updated in six week patch cycles. For the last six months, EVE has had some of the most massive and interesting gameplay tweaks since its launch in 2003.

One of the biggest things I want to highlight that's coming on December 9th is manual control. It took CCP over ten years, but soon you will be able to actually pilot your ship using WASD. I know this was a deal breaker for a lot of people in the past. They're starting out with a small beta rollout and are currently working on implementing joystick support.

Loading Video...

Manual control is already on the test server and it's pretty awesome.

No Caption Provided