The Unpaid Bill That Launched a Thousand Starships

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 38

"When the tax man came for Manny’s money, only the Russians were awake."

"Instead, he plans to take three regions from N3 and hand them over to the Russians."

These two lines had me laughing out loud. We're talking about an online video game but these sentences sound like they should be coming out of a fucking mob movie.

And wow, these guys have to conceal their real names? Is it to protect their identity? Is EVE Online that serious that these guys have to worry about getting assassinated or something?

Man, what a fascinating read. Great job Patrick.

bwmcmaste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

I absolutely loved reading this. Amazing article and true professional journalism, Scoops!

Turambar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

"Instead, he plans to take three regions from N3 and hand them over to the Russians."

These two lines had me laughing out loud. We're talking about an online video game but these sentences sound like they should be coming out of a fucking mob movie.

And wow, these guys have to conceal their real names? Is it to protect their identity? Is EVE Online that serious that these guys have to worry about getting assassinated or something?

There was an infamous case where a Titan pilot (I think. Or maybe it was just a fleet commander) had the electricity to his house cut right in the middle of a major battle by the enemy.

#EVE Is Real

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@patrickklepek The CFC didn't "take the bait". They called their bluff.

SoothsayerGB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Read the first two paragraphs, skimmed down to look at the size of the article and decided to save it for tom. Its to late in the evening to get this excited. I wont be able to sleep.

The title alone caused my blood pressure to spike. This Kleptoc guy is going places.

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I put some vids and pictures on my blog. Including the Titanomachy.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#157  Edited By FierceDeity

@patrickklepek The CFC didn't "take the bait". They called their bluff.

The bluff, in this case, was that the N3/PL coalition could field more supercapitals (Super Carriers and Titans) - in particular the Titans. The CFC/RUS alliance already held subcapital supremacy thanks to their greater number of players, but whether or not they could muster the number of supercapital ships required to take on the N3/PL supercapital blob was what was in question.

citizenjp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#158  Edited By citizenjp

What a crazy fucking game, man lol. I love it. Great article, Patrick.

gugagomes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@conmulligan: same here, so fascinating but I have no time/desire to play it

guppy507

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#160  Edited By guppy507

@spiritof said:

I've never played EVE Online.

I love EVE Online.

Cinnase7en

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@wumbo3000: You protect your identity because it can hurt you in-game. It can hurt your progress.

sqrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#162  Edited By sqrabbit

Terrific write-up, Patrick. I love hearing stories about EVE, despite having no desire to actually play it.

Couldn't have said it any better. Great write-up.

ulfsarrk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

holy moly , fantastic article .

gulinotm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Seppli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's why you don't shut down your government... lest the Ruskies get you!

aceofspudz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#166  Edited By aceofspudz

To anyone interested in EVE, Kite Co Space Trucking is the Giantbomb corp and they are part of a larger alliance, BRAVE Collective.

I joined a day before the B-R battle and have been having a blast. There's definitely stuff for new players to do.

We fly out of NPC nullsec, which is the part of EVE were players don't own territory but anyone can attack anyone. I'd say it's a great way to skip to the fun parts of the game, even if it doesn't generate stories like this one. The GB corp 'controls' a system insofar as they gank anyone who comes into it.

rox360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love that this game exists.

MosaicM80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really fantastic article! I thoroughly enjoyed reading this. I'm still kind of glad I don't play EVE because it sounds insane, but it's fun to read about!

fireforge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's an amazing story. Wonderful write up Patrick!

courage_wolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love the idea that some Concord bureaucrat forgot to fill out one of the forms for the system payment and the next thing you know hundreds of ships are on fire as the greatest battle the galaxy has ever seen takes place. Not even video games can escape from the clutches of inefficient bureaucracy.

Ontheocho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#172  Edited By Ontheocho

Good scoop, sir. Good scoop.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

Oh man I love EVE stories, maybe the best article of yours I've ever read Patrick!

jillsandwich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

This shit is fascinating. Great job scoops!

Vrikk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@spiritof said:

I've never played EVE Online.

I love EVE Online.

Exactly. Except I played for about 10 hours, got scared and amazed at the same time, and never returned because I realized it was a game for crazy people. I want to love it, I know I could love it, but I don't have the mindset to dive into something like it.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 11

Can I be a small time fighter pilot/ smuggler? I wanna be Han Solo but be able to shooting things. Are there fighters in EVE?

Karkarov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's a video game dude, and he's really just playing into his persona as the Mittani, leader of the CFC. The "They put their dick on the table, and we chopped it off" quote is hilarious smack talk, IMO. If you listen to the Vile Rat podcast that the other guy posted, he's really nice and articulate when he isn't playing into that persona.

If his persona is "being a dick" don't be stunned when people respond to him like he is one. It is funny he has apologists though. Here is a tip, being an asshole in a video game is still being an asshole.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@karkarov said:

@fiercedeity said:

It's a video game dude, and he's really just playing into his persona as the Mittani, leader of the CFC. The "They put their dick on the table, and we chopped it off" quote is hilarious smack talk, IMO. If you listen to the Vile Rat podcast that the other guy posted, he's really nice and articulate when he isn't playing into that persona.

If his persona is "being a dick" don't be stunned when people respond to him like he is one. It is funny he has apologists though. Here is a tip, being an asshole in a video game is still being an asshole.

We're talking about EVE Online here. Where scamming and ganking other players isn't just allowed, but seen as a legitimate gameplay choice. Getting upset that the leader of an alliance infamous for scamming and ganking plays into that seems pretty childish to me. Or is smack talk no longer allowed in competitive multiplayer games? Do we all need to be nice and sensitive, lest we dare offend someone's precious feelings? I'd much rather read this guy's actual thoughts and opinions than be fed some censored version.

wumbo3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 38

@turambar said:

@wumbo3000 said:

There was an infamous case where a Titan pilot (I think. Or maybe it was just a fleet commander) had the electricity to his house cut right in the middle of a major battle by the enemy.

#EVE Is Real

Holy shit. THAT'S AMAZING! That is just way too funny.

Slayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Patrick and GB for this amazing piece.

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fiercedeity: I am detecting a clear liquid of a salty nature from that guy. Get it while they are fresh!

Monkeyman04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't think I'll ever be able to fully get into Eve, but I love hearing the crazy stories that come out of it.

Landmine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@patrickklepek Great article, although I still have a tough time wrapping my mind around anything EVE related... and I sunk some significant time into that game.

FierceDeity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zakn said:

@fiercedeity: I am detecting a clear liquid of a salty nature from that guy. Get it while they are fresh!

Not sure what you're getting at there. All I'm saying is that there's nothing wrong with smack talk in multiplayer video game.

TranceQuina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're amazing, Patrick. I actually play this game and I don't get this kind of inside look anywhere else.

MichaelBach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#187  Edited By MichaelBach

Great read. EVE Online is bananas, I tried it one but didn't like it so much but it's really fascinating to read about.

mayor_mccheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#189  Edited By mayor_mccheese

Back when EVE started the early goon space guilds were filled with some embarrassing drama and a lot of nerdy shameful hiccups. Damn if they haven't come a long way to legit produce some really entertaining feats these last few years.

Good stuff as always, Patrick.

amlabella

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Man, what a crazy story. Thanks for the article Patrick!

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

Filed under "death."

I played EVE for almost a year, and while I understood the mechanics of the game, I look back on it as one of the most boring and banal things I've ever played. Then something like this comes up...

Possibly the best thing Patrick Klepek has ever done. This summary of the event is just incredible.

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, that Mittani guy's a dick. It's one thing to smack-talk, another to come across like a 15 year old in CoD.

Great write-up Patrick. Fascinating game.

Matoyak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#193  Edited By Matoyak

@fiercedeity said:

@karkarov said:

@fiercedeity said:

We're talking about EVE Online here. Where scamming and ganking other players isn't just allowed, but seen as a legitimate gameplay choice. Getting upset that the leader of an alliance infamous for scamming and ganking plays into that seems pretty childish to me. Or is smack talk no longer allowed in competitive multiplayer games? Do we all need to be nice and sensitive, lest we dare offend someone's precious feelings? I'd much rather read this guy's actual thoughts and opinions than be fed some censored version.

And none of that changes the fact that he comes across as an asshole. It's one thing to smack-talk in-game, another thing to be talking to a journalist and using the same words and phrases as a 15 year-old CoD player would be using in a CoD match.

EDIT: Actually, no. Your typical 15 year old would know better than to talk like that to a reporter.

RVonE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

So many degenerate nerds wasting their lives away in an imaginary world while making it look like something important. This is really fucked up...

You don't have hobbies that you're really into?

WhoopAssRambo3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sometimes. just some times, I want to quit everything and start playing that game.

zakn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mr_creeper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@arronaxxx said:

So many degenerate nerds wasting their lives away in an imaginary world while making it look like something important. This is really fucked up...

I know, right! Imagine that! On a website about video games of all places...

dolsande

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gosh darn, the stories from this game are interesting.

The_Vein

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That CFC dude sounds like a prick.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers