ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 11

#101  Edited By ProfessorEss

I only have two questions.

Will there be any? And will they still RULE?

Dezztroy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Would've preferred a game set somewhere in Europe but oh well.

Whitestripes09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

This is just speculation, but I wonder if there will be power armor customization? At 2:18 you see that suit of power armor that looks a bit more beefier than the one at 2:00. It also looks like it has a lot of different components and parts attached to it like it's been repaired a bunch of times in that work shop. We also see a laser rifle hanging on the wall behind the weird power armor with a bunch of different rifle stocks and scopes it looks like, which makes sense because New Vegas had weapon customization. It would be interesting to have that feature, but I could be completely wrong and that could just be a new variant.

Also, I bet the vault dweller is a bit upset that the dog didn't even alert him to find all that loot....

meccagojira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By meccagojira

@slab64: I hope we get into some A Boy and his Dog territory with that. I'm sure everyone knows it by now, but it's the piece of fiction that started the whole mad max type of post apocalypse story, and in turn was a huge inspiration for the Fallout series.

ejc93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By ejc93

Already knew he was a great writer based on all the pre-GB articles, but I'm really digging Austin's style when it comes to news coverage.

Avatar image for nocookiesforyou
NoCookiesForYou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After reading the "Wool trilogy" books i'v been looking forward to new fallout

totally going to make my character Juliet

Dude yes!

I've been reading the first book and It's really great.

EDfromRED

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 is the best game I ever experienced! Fallout 4 my $ is yours!

larmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

lol you can preorder it already without knowing anything about it.

Baal_Sagoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

That's how I want gaming news to be presented! Didn't neccessarily think I needed them that much at all but this is good. Very interesting read.
I'm not quite sure what to think of that announcement yet, I usually don't with these teasers. But the old engine isn't a problem, the indicated direction could be very interesting and I liked the previous entries. But I don't want just more of the same I think. Still, Fallout 4 will be an interesting game either way.

retrovirus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

My one big hope is that combat outside of any turn-based action like VATS feels good. It was a big turnoff for me in 3 and less so in NV due to the addition of iron sights, but I played through those games avoiding combat like the plague.

derganove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

There was a lot of pre-apocalypse footage in there. I wonder if we'll get more instances where we'll play in a non-post apocalyptic environment.

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

@slab64: I hope we get into some A Boy and his Dog territory with that. I'm sure everyone knows it by now, but it's the piece of fiction that started the whole mad max type of post apocalypse story, and in turn was a huge inspiration for the Fallout series.

A Boy and His Dog was pretty fucked up, right? I still need to read that or see that movie.

Afro_Stevens

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Half Life 3 confirmed.

Avatar image for deactivated-61356eb4a76c8
deactivated-61356eb4a76c8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Considering how good FO3 was and how amazing New Vegas was, I hope this is more of that.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I would be extremely happy if they released fallout 4 this year.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Now that's a well-written article. You the man, Austin.

Mmmslash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Unpopular opinion: All of these Bethesda games have had the same exact problems for the last decade and nothing has been fixed.

The combat (shooting, in Fallout) is abysmal (as in floaty, not much reactions from the stuff being shot, not being very satisfying generally), the animations awkward and stilted, and the writing ranging from pretty good to fucking terrible (Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood on one end of the spectrum, FO3's Brotherhood of Steel and "Steel be with you" on the other end).

I don't understand why Fallout gets a pass when every shit on something like Alpha Protocol. It also had real issues with the combat being ass, but it's writing was top notch, but somehow that didn't matter.

If it's the same clunky combat, the same mediocre writing, and the same terrible Gamebryo engine, I'm going to let this one pass me by. Vote with my dollars, etc.

Icecreamjones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By Icecreamjones

With this visual style a lot of folks are complaining but like? I wanna be able to play this without dropping 3 bills on a new GPU (the one I have is already just barely not able to meet the Witcher 3's minimum spec). If I can get 60 FPS in a huge open wasteland then fuck it this is great. Remember as good as Witcher looks, its got FPS issues for days.

Welvax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks @austin_walker for the thoughtful text. The intriguing tone of Fallout is the life and variety of the integral stories, those cut short, the new hopes. Other post-apocalyptic-ish games are way off target on this human element. A wasteland without people to care about, without the convincing mark of preexisting life, is a most barren place.

excast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mmmslash said:

Unpopular opinion: All of these Bethesda games have had the same exact problems for the last decade and nothing has been fixed.

The combat (shooting, in Fallout) is abysmal (as in floaty, not much reactions from the stuff being shot, not being very satisfying generally), the animations awkward and stilted, and the writing ranging from pretty good to fucking terrible (Oblivion's Dark Brotherhood on one end of the spectrum, FO3's Brotherhood of Steel and "Steel be with you" on the other end).

I don't understand why Fallout gets a pass when every shit on something like Alpha Protocol. It also had real issues with the combat being ass, but it's writing was top notch, but somehow that didn't matter.

If it's the same clunky combat, the same mediocre writing, and the same terrible Gamebryo engine, I'm going to let this one pass me by. Vote with my dollars, etc.

I don't think anyone would deny that some issues have existed in the past, but they are a little easier to swallow when a game shows real ambition with a massive world to explore filled with interesting side quests. And I honestly didn't think the writing in Fallout 3 or New Vegas were that bad. There were plenty of memorable characters and storylines.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Rasrimra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By Rasrimra

@kubqo: I'd recommend you start with Fallout 4.

CaptainCoke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Makes me wanna play Fallout 3 again.

Sykdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be skipping this if its in Boston. Fallout 3 was arguably one of the most disappointing games of all time. With its botches ui, bugs and poor story. The setting actually had a bit to do with that as well. Nice to see them shit on what fallout is about.

Bezerker85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Was so hoping the dog was gonna get in power armor of his own.

maddman60620

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

People who are saying the game "doesn't look that good" must've never played the earlier games... Fallout for me is more about the world you get into than the tres fxs, etc. Doom will be the eyecandy from Bethesda as far as looks go, Fallout 4 will be the great lore and environment type game.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@assinass said:
@meccagojira said:

A Boy and His Dog was pretty fucked up, right? I still need to read that or see that movie.

Yup. Very much a Harlan Ellison story. Haven't seen the movie or read the graphic novel, but the novella is good, if more than a bit fucked up.

As for Fallout 4, I'm probably just about alone in this, but I really wish we could get a new real fallout game instead of another post-apocalyptic elder scrolls. Fallout 3 was a pretty good game, but it was a pretty bad Fallout sequel.

ultrapeanut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yes! Let's get on a Duck Boat!

Vyniir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I can barely contain my happiness! It's been far too long in the making.

Also, great article Austin!

stryker1121

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but there's nothing duller than conversations about graphics when we have the promise of another giant, packed, Bethesda-style open world to explore. Were people really expecting some huge graphical leap after F03 and NV? You know what you're going to get with these guys by now, and quibbling over graphics (and to me the gfx in the trailer looked perfectly fine) seems short-sighted.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By John1912

Looking at this trailer more Im wondering if its not going to release this year! I hate to harp on the graphics, but they are not great. Nice, but hardly the wow factor of their past games. It does kinda look like they still used the Skyrim engine. This game will look pretty dated if it comes out mid, or late 2016. So really makes me think, maaaaybe it might come out this year!?

OLph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hmm, last time there were this much dog during a game hype we got a Fable game.

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#133  Edited By amafi

@olph said:

Hmm, last time there were this much dog during a game hype we got a Fable game.

What about that remote-controlled dog in Call of Duty: Ghosts? That was a pretty substantial amount of dog hype.

OLph

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ah, forgot about that dog (and I never bought Ghosts...)

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm just so excited!!

LarryDavis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, this whole fuckin' TOWN'S in my rear-view.

superpow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By superpow

Oh yes! I'm too excited to form coherent thoughts.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good read, Austin. Though I'll have to admit the trailer did nothing to sell me on it.

Based

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The fact that their is already a place to pre-order it on their site, makes me hope it'll come out in less than a year.

artraider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it looks like the same setting just a few miles north, set it in midwest or northwest or austrialia or south america.

NoneSun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Based Austin, makes it more fun to read this stuff.

senrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could care less if the graphics are absolutely leading edge, they look good enough to immerse me. Just make it polished and improve the gameplay and it will be incredible. I'm sure they have worked their asses off for 4 years and won't disappoint.

BobBarker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All hype for Fallout 4 was sucked out of me after the paid mod debacle. I think I'll wait to see if the mod community cares or not.

johnnymcginley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Austin is already raising the level of debate on Giant Bomb.

This could become an even greater community.

Scb360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kubqo: They both stand as their own story etc, but 3 is the best starting point and then New Vegas

Stubee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with many about the graphics. The models used in the trailer left much to be desired, but hey its a fucking next(current) generation fallout game, how cant I be excited?

DystopiaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm sorry but there's nothing duller than conversations about graphics when we have the promise of another giant, packed, Bethesda-style open world to explore. Were people really expecting some huge graphical leap after F03 and NV? You know what you're going to get with these guys by now, and quibbling over graphics (and to me the gfx in the trailer looked perfectly fine) seems short-sighted.

It's not the graphics that bother me it's that it looks like they're using the same engine, the physics and everything looks the same. All the dudes have the same running animation, the weird 90 degree elbows and robotic jogging gait, the way the objects on the table and bookcases look stacked exactly the way they did in the older games suggesting the weird physics "oh I picked up a plate look at this toaster on the other end of the table bounce up and down for no reason". I do think the textures and lighting and shit looks better (and I wouldn't really care that much if it didn't), but I was really hoping they'd upgrade the character movement and physics this go around.

That being said I'd play more Fallout no matter what the problems were

cthomer5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BRING ON THE TUNNEL SNAKES

vonsoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers