Fallout 4 Confirmed, Set in Post-Apocalyptic Boston

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 2

@humanity said:

@geraltitude: the fact that you can so casually mention making a lot of save backups when playing Bethesda games, like its this accepted norm that it's probably going to break at some point, is a real problem.

Despite what your experiences might have been with their games it's an established fact that Skyrim for PS3 was seriously busted and at some point they kinda just threw up their hands and said they can't fix it - and everyone kinda just accepted it. How insane is that??

I don't get why people find this so hard to understand.

Without being rude - my worldview is not your worldview. I make software. My whole family has made software for ages. It is totally normal, acceptable and not a problem for me to backup my saves. I'm used to it and I don't care. I don't expect other people to share how I feel just because, but how I feel is not illegitimate. I believe software is something fundamentally different than what you seem to believe. I believe complex software has a particular nature and the best way to guard yourself against lost time, etc, is a backup.

Software is made by companies and those in turn are made up of people. They have their limitations. From money to knowledge and experience to tools. Bethesda makes games within their limits. If you don't like those limits or find them off putting - the heck does that have to do with me?

Like I said - I played Skyrim on PS3 and I personally did not have any problems at all. Was it a bummer to not get dlc? Sure. But that's it.

What are you trying to say exactly? That because of the problems of others (which I think are irrelevant) I should dislike and distrust Bethesda? After I just told that I've never felt there to be a serious problem and that I don't care at all to backup my saves, don't care about bugs, and don't care about performance issues? What exactly is the purpose of your post to me? Do you think you can rewrite how I feel because "you are right"? You say it's an established fact but that's just popular consensus. In reality, *I* had no serious problems. So what happened to your fact? Well. It's irrelevant. To me.

Maybe you and other people who feel like you should not buy any Bethesda games. I've never been disappointed. Why would I stop?

As for the game not getting more updates on PS3.. It's just too hard for me to care. I never had real problems. Sorry for the people that did. But many PC-centric developers failed to update their PS3 games. Valve among them. Again it's not the best business practice. But I don't think it damns them forever.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@geraltitude: I'm not saying that you personally have to do anything. IF you want to keep supporting their products because you've never had any problems with them then that is all within your natural rights that I would never try to infringe upon. At the same time it should be equally easy for you to put yourself in the shoes of others who did experience problems that caused them to lose hundreds of hours of progress or understand those people that were upset by the fact that they paid the same money as 360 owners yet received less support for their platform.

So I'm not telling you to stop buying these games or anything of the sort, as long as we can agree that you're not going to say that since you never had any issues with them no one else should complain about it either.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

@humanity said:

@geraltitude: I'm not saying that you personally have to do anything. IF you want to keep supporting their products because you've never had any problems with them then that is all within your natural rights that I would never try to infringe upon. At the same time it should be equally easy for you to put yourself in the shoes of others who did experience problems that caused them to lose hundreds of hours of progress or understand those people that were upset by the fact that they paid the same money as 360 owners yet received less support for their platform.

So I'm not telling you to stop buying these games or anything of the sort, as long as we can agree that you're not going to say that since you never had any issues with them no one else should complain about it either.

As far as I'm concerned people are 100% free to love, like, dislike, hate, be angry, vengeful, etc, whatever it is towards Bethesda. I know the problems are real and I do appreciate how frustrating they can be for people. They are legitimate problems and Bethesda is legitimately at fault. I just encourage people to act on their feelings. Don't pre-order the game. Don't buy the game day 1. Let the dummies like me be the vanguard. This is a Bethesda game and people should expect it to release under all the same conditions as the last half dozen games.

For me, I just have to say that I still love their games and find a special magic there, faults be damned.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

@geraltitude: Thats fair enough, no arguments from me. I myself have fallen out of love with Bethesda titles since before Skyrim, but I also like a lot of other games that people regularly trash talk. You like what you like and it's most important that you're the one having fun I think.

Jesus_Phish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Were people really clamoring for more lore about "that cool narrator voice"?

Yes... Some of us would like to know more..

mrsmiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

@y2ken said:

I'm really into Austin's writing style already. Also I love that this is a fully fleshed-out article with lore theory and speculations, not just a two paragraph announcement. Which I guess is precisely why the guys hired you. Love it.

Also, I'm very excited about this particular slice of News Pie.

Hell yes. I have almost zero interest in this game, and yet I love this article.

Luck702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrsmiley said:
@y2ken said:

I'm really into Austin's writing style already. Also I love that this is a fully fleshed-out article with lore theory and speculations, not just a two paragraph announcement. Which I guess is precisely why the guys hired you. Love it.

Also, I'm very excited about this particular slice of News Pie.

Hell yes. I have almost zero interest in this game, and yet I love this article.

Yeah, I replayed the hell out of F3, but totally forgot about The Commonwealth angle from that Rivet City quest. Thanks for doing some homework Austin.

bolognarock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Needs more robots, Austin!

Avatar image for deactivated-5a0917a2494ce
deactivated-5a0917a2494ce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

Kalimando

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

@amyggen: @junkboy0: As far as I recall, both games barely functioned on ps3/xbox freezing, framerate, and all that good stuff plagued both releases. With games like bloodborne causing the PS4 to generate heat while having the graphical fidelity of FF13 or similar, I can see why they wouldn't want the game to be an HD extravaganza.

Not that I am particularly happy either; Bethesda could have easily taken what they got out of the RAGE deal to make a fine looking game, at the cost of splitting development between PC and console versions.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#211 FinalDasa  Moderator

@horseman6: A lot of those "facts" were based off a Kotaku story from months earlier. However the 2015 release date may have some traction. Several sites (Amazon, GMG, ect.) have preorders up with release dates set for 2015. Even Bethesda briefly had theirs set for 'TBA 2015' before switching it to just 'TBA'.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@amyggen: @junkboy0: As far as I recall, both games barely functioned on ps3/xbox freezing, framerate, and all that good stuff plagued both releases. With games like bloodborne causing the PS4 to generate heat while having the graphical fidelity of FF13 or similar, I can see why they wouldn't want the game to be an HD extravaganza.

Not that I am particularly happy either; Bethesda could have easily taken what they got out of the RAGE deal to make a fine looking game, at the cost of splitting development between PC and console versions.

Do you mean that they could've used the Rage engine? Because there's no way that engine would've scaled to a huge open world game.

NeoZeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pozo: I would be down for just about any other company/publisher going for a new engine but not Bethesda. Not a chance. I know it would make the graphics better but I've just been burned by them too many times to trust them with any tech anymore. Here's hoping it comes out alright this time around but I'm going to stay far away until at least a few months out and the actual end users have taken a crack at it. Definitely feel you on their game design. I played far too much Oblivion myself but it did become very predictable as each quest would show up and play out exactly as you expected.

@geraltitude: You were lucky then but I'm with @humanity on this one: Having to have back up saves as a usual tactic for a Bethesda game says more than you probably planned it to. Not saying it's a bad idea if you need them, but requiring them is never a good sign. Still, glad you didn't encounter any problems in those games: you're lucky!

@excast: It may have caused developers problems, but that far into the cycle, and having released a bunch of games for the system by that point, they should have had a handle on it by then. Sorry, I just heard that excuse too many times while struggling to play Skyrim. If they charged for it, it should work. No excuses. Here's hoping FO4 works for you folks but I'm gonna it this one out till I know for sure it actually works this time around.

hi_im_rob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My games of the Generation:

1. Mass Effect 2

2. Fallout 3

3. Red Dead Redemption

Needless to say, I'm pretty fucking excited.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horseman6: A lot of those "facts" were based off a Kotaku story from months earlier. However the 2015 release date may have some traction. Several sites (Amazon, GMG, ect.) have preorders up with release dates set for 2015. Even Bethesda briefly had theirs set for 'TBA 2015' before switching it to just 'TBA'.

Ive been thinking. The graphics while nice, are not great. Its kinda sad they dont have the wow factor their past games have. That has always been a good part of the appeal in their games in building a sense of wonder, and excitement. As I said the graphics are nice, but I think this would look really dated in late 2016. Which has me REALLY wondering if this is not set to launch by the end of this year. I think its going to happen which would be great!

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#216 FinalDasa  Moderator

@john1912: I thought it looked alright. You have to remember a few things. This is prerelease footage and we have no clue if this is in game, in engine, or just created for trailer use only. We also don't know if this is from a PC version, console version, or again something unrelated to the game and made only for the trailer.

That said graphics in open world games (assuming this will follow Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas' open world style) and never power houses. They have to render much more and the user can be facing or looking at any number of things at any given time. Enemies and NPCs could be in the area taking up horsepower that could be given to graphics. Or an overall memory issue with disc storage could stifle texture details or other graphic improvements we see in other, non open world, games.

Also, it's prerelease.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#217  Edited By John1912

@finaldasa said:

@john1912: I thought it looked alright. You have to remember a few things. This is prerelease footage and we have no clue if this is in game, in engine, or just created for trailer use only. We also don't know if this is from a PC version, console version, or again something unrelated to the game and made only for the trailer.

That said graphics in open world games (assuming this will follow Skyrim, Fallout 3, and New Vegas' open world style) and never power houses. They have to render much more and the user can be facing or looking at any number of things at any given time. Enemies and NPCs could be in the area taking up horsepower that could be given to graphics. Or an overall memory issue with disc storage could stifle texture details or other graphic improvements we see in other, non open world, games.

Also, it's prerelease.

Lol, this is 100% how the game will look, or it will look worse. Graphics never improve unless their is a complete overhaul, which almost never happens. If it did that would tack on at least 6 months of dev time. Compared to their past games this is sub par.

It still looks "nice" Just a bit below the past standard of games they have put out. More so since this is a next gen game, and they should have had this up and running on a new engine. So again, this makes me think that they intend to release the game this year in order to be relevant, and competitive in the market. I would love to have it by the end of the year! If this doesnt come out till late 2016...The graphics are going to be pretty sub par :-/

korwin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#218  Edited By korwin

@amyggen said:
@kalimando said:

Do you mean that they could've used the Rage engine? Because there's no way that engine would've scaled to a huge open world game.

I assume you mean IDTech5. The Rage engine would totally work a treat because that's Rockstar's engine which they use for all their open world stuff :P

Semantics!

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#220  Edited By Zeik

@john1912 said:
@finaldasa said:

Ive been thinking. The graphics while nice, are not great. Its kinda sad they dont have the wow factor their past games have. That has always been a good part of the appeal in their games in building a sense of wonder, and excitement. As I said the graphics are nice, but I think this would look really dated in late 2016. Which has me REALLY wondering if this is not set to launch by the end of this year. I think its going to happen which would be great!

I still don't understand where people are getting this "wow factor" thing from about the other games. The only wow factor that came from those games is the big open environments.

The only "wow" that should result from this is "wow that's ugly":

This is even pretty decent by Fallout 3's standards.
This is even pretty decent by Fallout 3's standards.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#222  Edited By John1912

@zeik: They were fairly impressive games for their time. They look like shit now sure.... I recall coming out of the vault the first time was really pretty, and a iconic moment looking out over the expanse of the wastes for the first time. Char models like in the pic you used suck, but were serviceable for the time. Im not talking about Fallout alone either. Im talking Bethesda games in general. IE Morrowind, Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3. Those games felt at least like they were pushing into the higher end of what PC/Consoles could do for the time. This looks and feels like its stuck between crossing over from last gen to next gen which I never felt before from one of their new games. Their games always felt fresh, and exciting! This just looks and feels a little dated. Like I said, it looks "good", but if this has to sit for a year and a half before launch in 2016 its going to look pretty stale by that point.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#223  Edited By Zeik

@john1912: Like I said, the big environments were impressive, so yes, looking over the expanse of the waste for the first time was a "wow" moment, but that's pretty much the extent to which the graphics impressed.

I played Fallout 3 when it first came out and I distinctly remember thinking the characters were ugly as sin then too. I wasn't even into PC gaming at the time either, so it's not like I was spoiled by high end graphics. (In fact, I'm pretty sure I was still playing a lot of PS2 games at the time.)

There's plenty about Fallout 3 that I thought was impressive at the time, and from a technical standpoint they did push the hardware, but the graphics themselves were still pretty ugly, especially the characters.

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's an overview of the trailer from Brodual. They've done a ridiculous amount of videos for mods on Skyrim, and some New Vegas ones a long time ago.

Loading Video...

Granted, everyone probably knows the bigger details but it's still a neat watch. Looking forward to E3 a lot more now.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@capum15: Interesting speculation on your main char in that video! That could be a interesting take on things!

Capum15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@john1912: Yeah, I never would've thought of that. All the notes on the stuff in the garage was cool too. I tend to just watch trailers without analyzing them much, so it's nice to see videos like that.

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel so numb after watching that trailer... I don't know about any of you but my inner dialogue while watching the trailer went as follows: "(typical FO3 music, meh graphics, very hopeful) ok, so there's a dog in the game, they start it off slow, but they'll save the mind-melting stuff for last...(2 mins left, a slight twinge of worry, some old FO staples: deathclaw, power armor) they're building the anticipation, don't worry, they'll deliver, these guys made skyrim... (1 minute left; worries builds to a slight panic: they only have 1 minute to melt my face off w amazing storyline and wasteland monsters) ummm, guys? GUYS??? (40 seconds left: depression and anger setting in) YOU HAD 4 YEARS AND YOU GIVE US THIS?? The colors are too f-ing happy! This can't be it! (Rolling credits) Well, shit...

I'm too much of a fan to be turned off completely by a trailer that shows a fallout that I didn't have in mind. The trailer had a little too much of a warm feel and that's not why I love fallout. The graphics seemed marginally better than previous incarnations and they didn't introduce any intriguing monsters or characters besides a weird thing with crab claws and a deathclaw that had some kind of sail on its back. I'm still very excited for this game and the E3 conference though considering the team has had 4 years to work on the game, after 3 minutes of trailer gameplay, I'm not very impressed... Fingers crossed for E3

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#229  Edited By schnarfmcgee

@option: I was too until I watched that trailer... I'm hoping they blow us away at e3

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fetchfox: you weren't a little disappointed w that trailer? I expected a bit more.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#231  Edited By Zeik

@schnarfmcgee: I'm not really sure where you're getting the "warm feel" from, other than the more varied color pallete, which is probably the best thing to come out of that trailer.

For a teaser trailer it was fine. In fact it was above par compared to what we usually get in this siutaion. We actually got some in-engine footage. Do you remember the announcement trailer for Fallout 3? It was just a bunch of pre-rendered rubble:

Loading Video...

Now if they don't show anything more than that at E3 then that will be disappointing.

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#232  Edited By schnarfmcgee

Btw on Amazon they list the release date as December 31, 2015!!! I don't know if that's an approximation, but I'm pretty damn excited

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#233  Edited By Zeik

@schnarfmcgee said:

Btw on Amazon they list the release date as December 31, 2015!!! I don't know if that's an approximation, but I'm pretty damn excited

If something is ever listed as December 31st you can be certain it's just a placeholder date. There's a bunch of rumors that it's coming out this year, but it definitely won't be New Years Eve.

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zeik: Well shit... There goes my boner. That's what I thought, but a man can dream, can't he?

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#235  Edited By John1912

@schnarfmcgee said:

@zeik: Well shit... There goes my boner. That's what I thought, but a man can dream, can't he?

2nd video below said a site was listing Oct 23rd I think? Which also was a date the bombs dropped in Fallout? ! There seems to be a fair amount of speculation it will be out this year. Honestly Id be surprised if it isnt.The graphics are "nice" right now...But if they arent shipping until late 2016 the game is going to look pretty dated. They have to plan for games to meet a certain quality expectation in a certain time frame, which really makes me think its prob ready to go this fall!

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/fallout-4-release-date-expected-to-land-in-2015/1100-6427803/

mattimus_prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people keep talking about the gamebryo engine but im pretty sure they made a new engine for skyrim called creation this is likely a version of that.

schnarfmcgee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#237  Edited By schnarfmcgee

@zeik: i can admit when I'm wrong, and after rewatching the trailer 5 or 6 more times I'm actually pretty excited about the content. At least more than I was after the first 2 times. The movements and "meh" character graphics aren't great but that's notwhat fallouts known for.

I re watched the fo3 trailer and I loved the simplicity of it. I think it left so much to the imagination. Yet when they give us a 3 minute gameplay trailer I analyze the hell out of it bc there's no prior context to understand where they are taking us. i think this game is gonna rock, I also think the fact that they didn't add any high end cinematography caused people like me (who are used to initial trailers being like that: all about hype and less about actual gameplay) to over analyze.

Anyways I hope the engine departs a little from the last games. The way that dog walked and some of the movements really looked similar to the last engine.

teaoverlord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

people keep talking about the gamebryo engine but im pretty sure they made a new engine for skyrim called creation this is likely a version of that.

Creation is based on Gamebryo.

FakeKisser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

I debated not pre-ordering this right away, but I did, because of GreenManGaming's 23% coupon. I'm sure they'll offer that again, in the future, but I'd be ticked if Bethesda did a "...And it's out next month" announcement at E3, and there were no more big discounts before launch. :)