Fallout 4 is better than Witcher 3, and here's why

• 70 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Alick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

hahaha no son

Qrowdyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#52  Edited By Qrowdyy

@ka385385: Silent majority is a bit presumptuous isn't it?

Anyways make note of how I didn't say anything on behalf of Witcher 3. Nor did I say anything disparaging about Fallout 4. I don't really feel the need to defend one or the other because I don't care if its considered the best game every made or whatever. Both games have their pros and cons. Which was the point of my post. A lot of people also feel that their favorite thing has to be a perfect thing, the best thing. Nothing's perfect. Acknowledging the flaws of game, even if its your favorite game, is something every person should be capable of doing. Doing otherwise is silly and immature.

Does it really matter that Witcher 3 won more awards than Fallout 4 if you had a better time with Fallout 4? The answer is no, it doesn't matter at all.

Edit: Added a line.

ka385385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@qrowdyy:

I would not try to represented as silent majority if not for the fact that Fallout 4 is still the most playing single player game on Steam.

Ya I agree it's actually doesn't really matter, but I think it would be great for someone to tell things differently since I heard way too many people unrealistically praise Witcher 3 and way too many people bash Fallout 4, been wanted to said this for about two years already, but only until recently I think I really need to express this, I don't post anything unless I really need to, you can check I haven't been active on this site for about 2.5 years.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 4 is the worst fallout game. It's not an RPG since you can't play a role or pick any meaningful path to customize and differentiate your character. It's the worst of Bethesda's games in the modern gaming landscape. It looks kinda crappy, it's bugged out the ass and doesn't play great. It's by no means a terrible game but I wouldn't call it great either.

The witcher 3 is a groundbreaking achievement. It's a game of breathtaking scope with some of the richest and most realized world/characters/stories in the medium. Some of the landscapes (particularly in the DLC) had me stunned. It looks incredible, plays well enough and keeps you engaged with top class storytelling.

There is no comparison to be made here. These 2 games are not even in the same league.

ka385385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl:

Well that's your opinion, I will restate again that Fallout 4 is still the most play single player on Steam and most commerical succuess game they made, it's less buggy than their previous game, and i think it looks great too, we can agree to disagree on this.

I never found anything Witcher 3 did as "groundbreaking", CDPR's first Witcher game was made with the help of Bioware, anything Witcher did was with the help of other's people's work, even it's story (Witcher's author Andrzej Sapkowski actually not a fan of the game, he always think the games kinda steal credits from his work), just because game looks a little better than other games doesn't mean it's revolutionized (Rise of The Tomb Raider looks better than Witcher 3, if any game has groundbreaking graphic it will be that kind of game, not Witcher 3), storytelling is rather subjective, because some people find it engaging, some people not, depend of which kind of Story, and medieval fantnasy is quite a turn off for lots of players, I personally didn't feel engaging during my gameplay, and the main character is just boring for me, and i heard lots of people agree, but it's all subjective. Last I will just said that nothing Witcher bring is unique one of a kind that set example for other games to follow, anything you see in the game pretty much can be found in some other games as well.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e851fc84effd
deactivated-5e851fc84effd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fallout 4 is a great game.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ka385385: The user scores for both those games tell a wildly different tale on what the communities overall opinions are for both of them. The Witcher 3 also has over 25% more user reviews than Fallout 4, so I guess more people like The Witcher 3 more? Not every game that sells well, or better than a game in the same genre, will be enjoyed by a majority of the people that bought it.

I don't know whether your worried about there never being another Fallout game due to the negativity your seeing surrounding the game, because let me tell you, that game sold 12 million copies on release so it will get another sequel. Also Not sure what your end purpose for this thread was, you certainly aren't alone in enjoying the game as there are positive reviews for it and like every Bethesda game with mod tools it has a thriving mod community, however if all you wanted to do was voice that you liked the game then giving it a positive review would have done the same thing. You seem to have answered your own dilemma here by saying "... ,but it's all subjective." so I'm just a little surprised that you can recognize that and not understand why there are people who like one game more than another when it's not the game you like.

FYI, Bioware provided the engine CDProjekt used in the making of the first Witcher game by licensing it to them. Bethesda licensed Gamebryo for Oblivion, Skyrim, Fallout 3 and Fallout 4 is made on a very modified version of Gamebryo that they call the Creation engine. This is very common in the industry and isn't something that should be held against a studio or looked down upon. Building from an existing framework is a way to quickly start building out a game and testing it instead of getting mired in upfront cost getting a usable engine up and running from scratch while the rest of the studio has nothing to use to start making the game for the first year of production. Just read up on the history of Quake to learn how this can create problems in a production pipeline if not planned out well.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

@dray2k: I am with you on the personal preference front, I wouldn't play Skyrim without mods and I sure as hell wouldn't even touch Fallout 4 without them. I just don't think we can extrapolate our opinion on that matter to the entire game's audience.

And yeah, I do agree that modding is a great thing to know the game. I make mods for XCOM 2 and it is very eye-opening and a ton of fun to actually be able to do some basic programming.

Lanechanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Apples are better than oranges!

soulcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By soulcake

i played a 100 hours of Fallout 4 and i remember nothing from the game except that far harbor dlc and the Currie stuff. The best thing about fallout 4 the shooting part of it isn't even made by them ( the doom team had to step in for that one) I almost remember every minute of the Witcher 3 it's the best open world out there and it has the best side quest ever made.

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ka385385: I'm not sure what you're doing here. Are you trying to convince me that Fallout 4 is great and the Witcher 3 is not? You seem to want to draw a line between subjective and objective but everything is subjective. It's all opinion. People play Bethesda games because of mods not because of the bad job Bethesda did bringing that world to life.

If you enjoy the game that's fine but you can enjoy it while not pitting it against another game you know is more liked by critics and a lot of people. Also if you want to play a good Fallout game maybe try out New Vegas? It succeededs where 4 fails miserably. It has a great story with memorable characters and a lot of role playing options. It is by far the best 3D Fallout game.

If you want more analysis of the game you can check this out: https://youtu.be/A34poZ6paGs

sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 45

1. Fallout combat is not good and never has been. VATS is simply a crutch for the game being a crappy FPS.

2. The Glassdoor reviews are overstated, currently. There are almost 600 people working for CDPR currently and we're framing the entire company over 30 mixed reviews when we don't even know if those are disguntled employees who have been let go or anything.

3. Fallout 4 is a buggy mess and not in an enjoyable way.

4. You shouldn't rely on mods being there to fix your game and fill in the gaps.

5. F4 is also more of the same. the same combat, the same world, the same problems, etc.

6. The writing is bad and the story isn't anything great.

7. The graphics suck. Graphics aren't everything but they are a big deal...and they suck in F4.

8. Fallout 4's big innovation? A half assed "build an outpost" mode that had as much forethought and effort put into it as a presidential administration has ethics.

All of this is opinion but I put over 100 hours into Witcher 3 without batting an eye. Fallout 4 got about 20 from me before I said, "yup, can't do this anymore."

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#63  Edited By Tennmuerti

@soulcake said:

i played a 100 hours of Fallout 4 and i remember nothing from the game except that far harbor dlc and the Currie stuff. The best thing about fallout 4 the shooting part of it isn't even made by them ( the doom team had to step in for that one) I almost remember every minute of the Witcher 3 it's the best open world out there and it has the best side quest ever made.

I remember seeing the cool Brotherhood zeppelins sail by in a cutscene, then going to those hyper militant kill all androids lovable guys and gals, walking in on their head genocide honcho giving a" kill em all!" speech while standing in the middle of their get together with my super obvious android companion and no one giving even a remote fuck about him, then or anytime after. That moment kinda crystallized a lot of the games design approach.

onarum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64  Edited By onarum

Lasagna is better than gnocchi, and here's why! :

I like lasagna more.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

@ka385385: The problem is that a hamburger generally doesn't have ham in it, though I have been told it is served that way in Mexico

ka385385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By ka385385

@goboard:

Witcher 3 does have more user review than Fallout 4, but i don't think that's the best way to compare two games. not that it can't be consider, but recently because of Creation Club people been bombing the game with negative reviews to lash out on Bethesda, I don't think it's the best way to let Bethesda acknowledge community's disappointment. but there aren't much more effectively way do it so I will leave it to that.

And no i'm worry about the next Fallout game i'm sure it will be made, it's just that not many people actually spoke up for Fallout 4 positively, i did knew lots of other people who think Fallout 4 is better than Witcher 3 too, but they mostly just replying in comment section and not in a more formal blog post or article, while some Witcher fan did make video or blog post praise Witcher 3 and bashed Fallout 4, I just want people share the same opinion as mine know they are not alone in this, it's all subjective sure but it's always good to know there are people agree with you.

@pyrodactyl said:

If you enjoy the game that's fine but you can enjoy it while not pitting it against another game you know is more liked by critics and a lot of people. Also if you want to play a good Fallout game maybe try out New Vegas? It succeededs where 4 fails miserably. It has a great story with memorable characters and a lot of role playing options. It is by far the best 3D Fallout game.

You didn't read my post right? I did said that NEW VEGAS was my favorite game of ALL TIME, especially it's companions, they are all better wrote than characters in Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 combined, where the later two RPG gave you over-desired companions and followers (hot girls like Triss or Piper, they are great but kinda too good to be real), New Vegas gave us some normal wasteland standard character that you feel like you can meet in your real life (The way Lily talk to you like one of her long gone grandchildren, it's surprised me that I actually feel attach to a female nightkin), and the story about Father in Cave still haunt me to this very day, Life is like a boxing match ,it's not about how hard you can pull your punch ,but how many punch you can take, I can tell you that this is not only a good game, but a game that make me a better person.

But i don't think just because New Vegas was so good mean that Fallout 4 is necessarily bad, Fallout 4 still good on it's own way, Bethesda was never good with storytelling, like really in end credits there's actually no writer (thanks for Shoddycast pointed that out), if you know a little bit of game design, you should know it's always the story follow it's gameplay and not the other way around, so my guess is that they just let the programmers and game designers wrote it's story instead of hiring real writer. But i think they might fix that in the future, as you may know Chris Avellone one of the original writer of Fallout franchise has left Obsidian years ago, and Bethesda hire him to wrote for one of their game Prey which release this year, maybe they will bring him back on the next Fallout game.

@sammo21:

1. Actually most of people even some of those who hate Fallout 4 do agree that the new gunplay combat was massive improvement than the previously Fallout, and it's quite enjoyable.

2. I believe you didn't watch the video i post? Many if not most of the developers left after each Witcher games was finished, include most recently Witcher 3 and some them are key member like lead graphic programmer Adam Cichocki and senior engine programmer Tomasz Jonarski who all left recently, more importantly YongYea was actually contact by former developers and provide even more information about it, just watch the videos if you really care, or if you want to mindless believe that the studio as "shiny example of game making", your choice.

3. It's far less buggy for me and I enjoy it even without mods, it does feel like something is missing when not mod it, but it's still very enjoyable.

4. Maybe, but how many games out there can be mod they way Fallout and Elder Scroll is? I can only name one that is Half Life 2 and it's source engine spawns like Left 4 Dead 2 and Garry's Mod, but even those are far cry from what Fallout and Elder Scroll achieved.

5. Would you rather Fallout 4 took place in Valenwood?

6. It's not as good as New Vegas but certainly deeper than Fallout 3, not the best but not bad either, you sure have seen worse, mostly probably from Japanese game.

7. I think it looks great, same as above, did i saw better before? Maybe. But does it mean it's bad? No.

8. I take it you don't like settlement but for many of us it's one of best thing in Fallout 4, a little bit overwhelming at first but once you put your heart into it, it became very engaging, it's not for everyone though i will give you that.

I have over 175 hours in Fallout 4 before i even really start modding it and 500 now that I modded it, but i can hardly play Witcher 3 after about 16 hours, have to keep try to find Ciri who i hardly know and doing lots of uninteresting side quest that doesn't feel like I need to get involve, not to mention those very long dialog which i really want to skip but i just force myself to listen the whole things through in case i miss anything.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#68  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I still don't understand why The Witcher is a major part of this thread. Why not compare it to New Vegas? If that's still your favorite game, i assume that Fallout 4 was at least somewhat disappointing right? Otherwise Fallout 4 would be the new favorite?

Like i see a lot of Witcher hate happening here (the community, the way it was developed, too many hot chicks, too gory, too much nudity, less interesting environment, batman voice, constant use of gGeralt which is probably some form of mockery?) but not sure why that suddenly makes Fallout 4 a great game.

of course Fallout has a big player base. I can also tell you that the next Elder Scrolls game will sell more than Wolfenstein 3. Why is that even worth mentioning? 'Better' game is not some sort of popularity contest, especially when it's about 2 totally different things. Feels a bit like the age-old battlefield vs Cod or Lol vs dota discussions but even less appropriate.

A better way to convince people that Fallout 4 is worth checking out is by writing a post about what makes the game amazing to you and educate people on what they're missing out on. Not by trying to trash another popular game and try to convert people to switch over to the more 'popular' game. That's never going to work when both games have been covered well enough to roughly know what they entail. It just comes across as a fanboy going on a vendetta.

Goboard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ka385385: The purpose of pointing you towards the reviews was so you would see that even with it's mixed review status on Steam that there are many people who view the game positively, as you do, letting you know that you aren't alone in that opinion thereby fulfilling the purpose you seek with this thread.

Part of the reason I think your getting so many incredulous responses to this thread is because of the title, which takes a declarative stance that doesn't imply your going to present things from the perspective of your opinion. The bulk of your initial post is your opinion and personal experiences and the brief stats section that follows ignores old truisms about quality over quantity that you then go on to agree with but only with respect towards the favor of the game that you already favor. How you present the thread from start to finish is whiplash inducing and doesn't help your purpose at all. Using instances of harassment and the state of crunch and labor in the games industry as an argumentative tool for your point is a really disgusting thing to do.

If your goal was to share in your enjoyment of Fallout 4 and let people know you like the game a lot then you could have easily created an appreciation thread and talked about all the same things you did without also bringing up The Witcher 3. Instead you now have a thread that seems intentionally divisive for no actual purpose to result in a discussion.

John_Wiswell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Glad you enjoyed a game, duder.

sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#71 sweep  Moderator

Comparing these two games is kind of silly in the first place.

Pretty much.

My dude, it's cool if you like one game more than the other, but this need to compare two dramatically different things and hold them to an arbitrary set of standards, then announce one is better than the other; that's basically trolling.

You're allowed to like two games. Not everything needs to be a competition.