Please Stand By - Bethesda to Announce Fallout 4 on June 3rd

#1 Edited by dafdiego777 (300 posts) -

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

It's happening! Kind of surprising that they wouldn't hold this for their press conference. Does it seem this year that we have way more pre-annoucements (in anticipation of leaks?) than usual?

I think Jeff said in a recent Bombcast that he was hoping that they would improve the fighting, especially since VATS was totally overpowered in Fallout 3. Personally, I hope to see something drastic like Mass Effect to Mass Effect 2, but given Bethesda's history with combat (Skyrim was secretly extremely mediocre in that regard) I'm not sure I have high hopes.

Update: Saw someone going through the HTML text. Looks like it references the institute, which I believe is the code name for Fallout 4, as well as post-apocalyptic MIT?. I think the rumors of it taking place in Boston look to be more likely than not at this point.

#2 Posted by Bollard (8185 posts) -

While I'm of course excited for a new Bethesda RPG, I really don't get the extreme amount of love for Fallout 3 - especially compared to the Elder Scrolls games. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are so boring and the gunplay in Fallout 3 actually managed to be worse than the combat in Oblivion.

#3 Posted by excast (1385 posts) -

Oh happy day!

There are so many different games being pushed at E3 that I guess it isn't shocking that Bethesda would want to announce the game ahead of time. Everyone was expecting it anyways and this gives them a couple of weeks of buzz before they probably show something more concrete during their press conference.

#4 Posted by viking_funeral (2881 posts) -

@bollard: Think about the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim, or even from Morrowind to Oblivion. Heck, from any Elder Scrolls game to the next.

I think people are excited about what kind of leap in gameplay and tech may be found in the next Fallout. I am.

#5 Posted by chu52 (701 posts) -
#6 Posted by brandondryrock (890 posts) -

@bollard said:

While I'm of course excited for a new Bethesda RPG, I really don't get the extreme amount of love for Fallout 3 - especially compared to the Elder Scrolls games. Post-apocalyptic wastelands are so boring and the gunplay in Fallout 3 actually managed to be worse than the combat in Oblivion.

Everyone's taste is different. I enjoyed Fallout 3 more than Skyrim. I just had more fun playing Fallout.

#7 Edited by excast (1385 posts) -

@bollard said:

Fallout 3 was the game that showed me that RPGs can be more than what I was seeing coming out of Japan with Final Fantasy, Star Ocean, etc. A game about choice, exploration, and doing so in a world that was different than the usual swords and magic fantasy that most RPGs are based around. It certainly had it's share of flaws, as did New Vegas, but the amount of freedom they give you in those games is fairly staggering. I can only imagine what they can accomplish on new hardware.

#8 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3902 posts) -

@bollard: A lot of people would say the same about fantasy rpgs of which we have a million already. And this is going to be the next Bethesda rpg to hit the next gen. People are excited to see what they can do.

#9 Posted by grtkbrandon (175 posts) -

I have goosebumps.

#10 Posted by altairre (1492 posts) -

Hold the phone, a new Fallout game? No one could have seen this one coming.

#12 Posted by madman356647 (827 posts) -

If they make the same level of improvement from Oblivion to Skyrim, I would check it out. Buuuut Fallout 3 and New Vegas didn't do it for me.

#13 Posted by altairre (1492 posts) -

They need a new engine. Seriously. Not just a slightly prettier version of Skyrim/NV but a complete overhaul. I really liked the writing in NV but from a technical perspective it sucks.

#14 Edited by Slang_N_Bang (178 posts) -

It'd be cool if they ripped off some of the newer George Miller ideas.(Specifically the whole color and vibrancy in a post apocalypse wasteland) I'd love to see more colors than grey and green.

#15 Posted by ETPC (111 posts) -

please be more like new vegas then fallout 3. please be more like new vegas then fallout 3.

#16 Posted by erbarad (51 posts) -

Just show me the next offline TES

#17 Posted by balrogsbain (122 posts) -

please don't be a fallout MMO

Avatar image for machofantastico
#18 Posted by MachoFantastico (6688 posts) -

The Witcher 3 as really put Bethesda developed RPG into perspective for me. I know its unfair to compare say that and Skyrim but the general jank around Bethesda's game is really tough to take whilst I'm more willing to except The Witcher 3's issues. Let's hope its using a brand spanking new engine, instead of that old one.

Basically, they've got a hell of a challenge in a world where The Witcher 3 exists, which for all its problems is easily one of the most captivating RPG's I've personally played. Excited to see Fallout 4 still.

#19 Edited by TwoLines (3654 posts) -

I loved New Vegas, I HATED Fallout 3. It was bland like nothing else. I don't remember a single gosh darn thing from that game. So, I'm not exactly giddy with anticipation.

EDIT: I just remembered! There was this sequence in black and white and stuff. Yeah, that was OK. If the whole game was filled with these tiny little unique moments, that would be cool. But Bethesda's not that imaginative.

#20 Posted by AngryHobo321 (70 posts) -

@fakevox: Unfortunately Obsidian may be too busy with their new IP to work on other company's games, but then again I have no idea how many employees or teams they have.

On the other hand, YAYAYAYA MOAR RADSCORPIONS! RADSCORPIONS EVERYWHERE!

#21 Posted by stryker1121 (2171 posts) -

Loved Fallout 3, so I'm all about this. The combat takes a backseat to the unprecedented world exploration and joy of discovery Bethesda brings to the table.

#23 Posted by rangers517 (368 posts) -

oh god please be this year

#24 Posted by YoThatLimp (2511 posts) -
@twolines said:

I loved New Vegas, I HATED Fallout 3. It was bland like nothing else. I don't remember a single gosh darn thing from that game. So, I'm not exactly giddy with anticipation.

Man, we are in totally different boats, I loved Fallout 3 and hated NV. I just found the world and quest line boring in NV. It is possible that the 100+ hours of Fallout 3 may have burned me out a bit.

#25 Posted by PatODay (395 posts) -

I really hope it's based in Boston.

#26 Posted by probablytuna (5010 posts) -

Just give me a damn release date! I don't need to know anything more.

#27 Posted by Brendan (9218 posts) -

I never played Fallout 3 and after The Witcher 3 I can't imagine I'll want to play another large RPG for a while, but I am very interested to see what this looks like.

#28 Posted by armaan8014 (6307 posts) -

I loved the atmosphere in FO3. But I think I've finished all my excitement reserves while waiting for the Witcher 3. It'll be a while before I'm that excited for a game again.

#29 Edited by BabyChooChoo (7093 posts) -

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 and the little I've played of New Vegas, but for some reason, the thought of Fallout 4 does nothing for me. Maybe I'll just have to see it in action or something. Who knows?

#30 Posted by Rafaelfc (2243 posts) -

Hopefully they show something other than a logo.

Being cross gen cuts a lot of my enthusiasm though.

Avatar image for rhombus_of_terror
#31 Posted by Rhombus_Of_Terror (2533 posts) -

Please be in a new engine...

#32 Posted by nophilip (687 posts) -

Very, very excited for this. I have a hard time understanding why anyone would want this game to be more like New Vegas than Fallout 3, but to each their own.

#33 Posted by conmulligan (1949 posts) -

@bollard said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I appreciate that Fallout's setting is something you don't see very in often in RPGs, but I couldn't be less interested in its particular flavour of post-apocalism. I'll still probably play this — because, y'know, Bethesda — but I'll be thinking of The Elder Scrolls VI the whole time.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
#34 Posted by Colonel_Pockets (1315 posts) -

FINALLY

#35 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@viking_funeral: You mean how Morrowind is still the best Elder Scrolls game?

I'm sure Fallout 4, 5, 6, 7 etc. will all be perfectly competent, I did only make it halfway through Fallout 3 before losing interest though.

#36 Posted by HappyCheeze (129 posts) -

I'd love to see a new fallout tactics, but only after they make Fallout 4. Also hoping this isn't an MMO.

Avatar image for friendlyphoenix
#37 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (651 posts) -

I hope they hire some goddamn writers that are actually worth a shit for this. New Vegas was so far ahead of anything Bethesda's done that I have a hard time getting excited for a new BGS-made Fallout.

#38 Posted by Pabba (471 posts) -

I'm all out 4 Fallout.

#39 Posted by cloudymusic (2134 posts) -

Even though I don't really love the dirty brownness of Fallout's world, I'm still excited to see what sort of advancements Fallout 4 will bring. Hopefully we'll see some pretty significant improvements to their quest design and AI.

#40 Posted by Brackstone (945 posts) -

Man, if this thing is actually cross gen like people are thinking, that's really quite disappointing.

Hopefully it's on a new engine, but let's be honest, Bethesda's first time out with a new engine could be even messier than their typical work. At some point, it's not the engine, but the devs.

#41 Posted by Aquablak (274 posts) -

Is there any chance we can get a new Fallout this year? Please?

#42 Posted by Bollard (8185 posts) -

@bollard: Think about the leap from Oblivion to Skyrim, or even from Morrowind to Oblivion. Heck, from any Elder Scrolls game to the next.

I think people are excited about what kind of leap in gameplay and tech may be found in the next Fallout. I am.

That's a good point - I forgot it's the first Bethesda RPG on new platforms. That alone is exciting, looking at what Oblivion achieved.

@bollard said:

Yeah, I'm with you. I appreciate that Fallout's setting is something you don't see very in often in RPGs, but I couldn't be less interested in its particular flavour of post-apocalism. I'll still probably play this — because, y'know, Bethesda — but I'll be thinking of The Elder Scrolls VI the whole time.

Absolutely! And praying that the (inevitable) co-op play they add to it is implemented well enough not to upset the solo play. In fact, I wonder if they will use Fallout 4 as a test-bed for adding co-op play. It would make a lot of sense actually.

#43 Posted by ripelivejam (13228 posts) -

F4llout?

4allout?

Fourout??

#44 Edited by teaoverlord (592 posts) -

Hopefully it's actually New Vegas 2.

#45 Posted by supermonkey122 (1232 posts) -

Where are people hearing that this is cross gen?

#46 Posted by nickhead (1264 posts) -

Still pretty surprised this wasn't held for E3, but cool I guess. I enjoyed Fallout 3 and New Vegas, but could never get past the bland environments. I know everything got nuked but that didn't really enhance the experience for me.

Looking forward to what this brings to the table.

#47 Edited by GERALTITUDE (5990 posts) -

I loved the original two games, loved Fallout 3, liked New Vegas - and well, I'm sorta pumped for this game?

In the grand scheme of things, as much as I really loved Skyrim, it was mechanically another step down from Oblivion which in turn was a reduction of Morrowind.

What terrifies me about Fallout 4 is how many people have clamoring for an even more actiony, no VATS-type game. And that sounds like fucking garbage to me. But this seems to be the way we're going as an industry, in general. Mass Effect 2 all over again.

I always felt like Fallout 3 included VATS because without it there would have been barely anything Fallout about it, and I thought Bethesda felt beholden (as they should) to the lineage. Now that there are 2 post-Fallout Fallout games, I wonder if they feel the same way.

Very curious to see this, but not especially hopeful today.

#48 Edited by John1912 (2504 posts) -

Very happy to hear about a new one finally! Hope its out next year at the latest :-/. Skyrim was a HUGE step up for quality all around for Bethesda so should be pretty exciting to see what they make with a new Fallout! Really want to see the next gen graphics for it!

#49 Posted by Ghostiet (5832 posts) -

Wake me up for the Obsidian spin-off. Or at least until Bethesda announces that J.E. Sawyer and Chris Avellone are the leads on the project. Ain't touching that shit if it's 100% Bethesda.

Avatar image for friendlyphoenix
#50 Posted by FriendlyPhoenix (651 posts) -

@geraltitude: Dear god I hope that's not true. If there's one thing Bethesda's not good at it's...well it's writing, but combat is a solid second. They NEED a heavy focus on VATS.