What is the first Fallout game you ever played?

• 96 results
matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By matatat

Poll What is the first Fallout game you ever played? (643 votes)

Fallout 28%
Fallout 2 12%
Fallout 3 53%
Fallout New Vegas 3%
Fallout: Brotherhood of Steel 1%
Fallout Tactics 1%
Fallout 4 will be my first game in the series 2%

I'm kinda curious what the stats are on this. Something tells me a lot of people were introduced to the series with Fallout 3.

I first played Fallout 2 when my cousin was playing it at his families cabin outside of Toronto. I think this was in 2000? I was entranced by it from the first moment I saw it. I have a soft spot for post apocalyptic settings where people revitalize civilization in weird ways. And the whole idea of Vaults as being social experiments was really fascinating. Ended up buying a copy of the game from WalMart not too long after in one of those weird double packs with the original Fallout which I didn't appreciate much until later in life.

• 
Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

2 was my first. Tried 3 on ps3 and didn't get much beyond the first few hours.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started with Fallout 3. I think I got it after it had been out for a little while and new nothing about what kind of game it was, only that it was pretty good. Maybe I saw a trailer of a dude walking around with a dog but in hindsight, those kind of trailers tell you nothing about the open nature of the game.

I fell for it in a major way. It was easily the most obsessed I had been with a game since Pokemon. I guess part of this was not having played or known about Oblivion or Morriwind beforehand, so the open world freedom really blew me away. I hear that the story and world building isn't as great as in prior games but I still absolutely loved it.

I did actually pick up Fallout 2 on steam to give it a shot. I knew it was a very different gameplay wise. I just haven't been able to get into it the few times I tried. Maybe I was trying to play it like an isometric Fallout 3 or something but I just found it really really difficult to not get murdered by everything.

jacksukeru

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 22

I haven't played any Fallout game. Despite hearing good things from the bombcrew, the drab setting and talk of jank pushed me away. It wasn't until Skyrim that I played one of these games. Magic and fantasy appealed more than post-apocalyptic misery, I guess.

Skyrim was pretty cool, so I guess I'm more open to something building off of that, but it's not like I'm keeping upp with Fallout 4 news or anything. Once the game comes out and people start talking about it in more concrete ways, I'll take a closer look and decide if it's for me or not.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paulmako said:

I did actually pick up Fallout 2 on steam to give it a shot. I knew it was a very different gameplay wise. I just haven't been able to get into it the few times I tried. Maybe I was trying to play it like an isometric Fallout 3 or something but I just found it really really difficult to not get murdered by everything.

Those games are pretty rough difficulty-wise the first time you play them. Almost to the point where if you haven't played one of those style of games before you'd probably have more fun following a walkthrough or something. Build matters way more than it does in Fallout 3. New Vegas I felt kinda returned a little bit to making the build matter but Fallout 3 you can just max guns and speech and breeze through the game.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By Onemanarmyy

I had the CD with Fallout 1,2 and tactics on it as a kid, but i never really understood what i was supposed to do. Once i played Fallout 3 i went back to those games.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#6  Edited By Sessh

I played every game in the series, including the spin-offs and my first one was Fallout 1. Got it as a present from a friend shortly after it came out (early 98 at the latest) and loved it pretty much from the get go.

Fallout 1+2 are among my all time favourite games and I play through them again every few years.

redyoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By redyoshi

I watched some kind of Fallout 3 preview on X-Play way back when and knew immediately that I had to play that game. I was too young when the PC games came out. I did get them free from GOG a while back when they were giving them away, but they haven't hooked me in the same way as Fallout 3 did. Maybe some day.

forkboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Picked up Fallout in maybe 2000 or 2001, as it was in one of the £10 a game/3 for £20 range that you'd see in a display thing near the till of Game/Electronic Boutique. It was good value

TwoLines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Fallout. It was the best damn game I've ever played at the time. Goddamn was it cool. The sounds, the graphics, the voice acting. Sigh.

mtfikhan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By mtfikhan

I knew of the existence of Fallout but never had a PC to play it on. I went to visit my buddy in Pittsburgh in the summer of 2010 and he said I should check it out. Couldn't sleep so decided to try it out. I spent the entire night playing it. Got up to the crazy vampire folk and immediately when I got back to my univerisity, bought it and played it for hours and hours.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 66

I played Fallout 1 for the first time in 2008 in anticipation for Fallout 3. I liked it well enough but I think a thing most people don't mention about that game is that it's absurdly short for a RPG from that era (around 15-20 hours if you take your time) Fallout 2 is much longer, but something about its lethargically paced opening and really dated attempts at humor have never really clicked for me.

Atwa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 10

Fallout Tactics, unfortunately. I got it for free with a gaming magazine, can't remember which, but it wasn't too great.

arbayer2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By arbayer2

I played Fallout 3 for the first time in probably 2009 once I really started amping up my Steam collection. I remember seeing a classmate in high school show up to game design class on launch day 2008 with a Fallout 3 Collector's Edition (metal lunchbox and everything), and not knowing a thing about the franchise I simply remarked "Huh. Don't know what this game is, but I'm intrigued, Vault Boy's art is fucking awesome."

FO3 and NV are by far the most approachable I think but in terms of lore and portrayal of a post-nuclear retrofuturistic time capsule of Cold War America I gotta hand it to Fallout and Fallout 2. I just wish I were better at playing them - Advance Wars and Paper Mario are probably the only turn-based franchises I'm halfway decent at at the moment.

If you love Fallout lore or are relatively new to the franchise, it may be obvious but just go strolling around The Vault and Nukapedia online, especially their Fallout timelines, it'll really help put the world into focus story-wise instead of just seeing 50s appliances and science-fiction stuff all over the place.

darkmoney52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yep, I started with Fallout 3. I tried to go back to the first two after hearing a lot of people compare them to New Vegas (My all time favorite game) but I really can't get into them. I'm generally less of a fan of isometric RPGs in general and Fallout 2 in particular feels truly awful to control. Ordering my character somewhere and watching him slowly trudge over there makes me feel actively uncomfortable.

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

Fallout 3 was my first time in the Fallout Universe. The original Fallout is the first one in the series that I beat though.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Fallout 3 is my first one.

officer_falcon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

First plated FO3 when it got released. Went through FO 1+2 sometime later. Then played FO:NV on release as well.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

When I was young, we used to get a regular monthly Mac focused magazine called Macaddict. This magazine was rather important in what I learned to respect and revere in gaming, playing demos of Starbound II, (a more tactics heavy 4X space game, and unrelated to the more recent Starbound game) Tomb of the Taskmaker, (Basically the Mac form of Ultima, but with more foam maces and sarcastic demons) and the original Fallout. I played that demo countless times, trying to find all the different ways I could finish it.
Jump to 2003, Interplay is starting to slowly get into dire straights with its funds. Dark Alliance didn't ship out as well as they were hoping and they need some sort of income injection quick. The re-release Fallout 1 and 2 as a bundled package again, and my brother and I find it in a bin PACKED with them at a local CompuSmart. Neither of us could believe that we not only found the long-lost relic of our gaming past, but also that we could afford it and we finally have a computer to play it (earlier that year we got our first Windows PC. Prior to that it was Mac all the time). Since then, I have replayed those games countless times and ways, and it heavily influenced how I see games, and what wonders they can do with story telling.

tl;dr: Fallout 1

hatking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's entirely possible I played one of the earlier games in passing when I was younger and just don't remember it. Assuming that's not the case, Fallout 3 was my first. Fell in love with it thoroughly. I should probably go back and investigate those earlier games, even though they are so different.

SeanFoster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SeanFoster

Fallout. In the 90s. I'm old.

Fallout 2 in my favorite to this day.

Ry_Ry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@driadon: oh man MacAddict was great back in the day.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Fallout. In the 90s. I'm old.

Fallout 2 in my favorite to this day.

"Same" - Austin Walker

Fallout made me fall in love with RPGs which was bittersweet since after Fallout 2 I realized there were no other RPGs out there even remotely comparable to Fallout in systems, setting or writing.

Those were amazing years and I don't fault the young'uns for preferring the Bethesda games but man they really don't hold a candle to what those originals were.

Well there goes my obligatory old man rant about the Fallouts.

BoccKob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't remember why I picked it up, but I had a Fallout 1 and 2 pack on CD years ago. I think I took too long trying to find the water chip, the game ended, and I didn't play it for years.

Tried reinstalling the GOG version a couple weeks ago, that dude in the second town with the scripted assassination attempt accidentally shot my NPC buddy, buddy shot back, whole town aggroed and killed us, uninstalled.

Fallout is a pretty bad game.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, there are fallout games before 3? Come on, everyone knows that's a myth

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think I loaded up the first game in anticipation for Fallout 3. I didn't get very far, but it seemed neat. Loved its style.

Svenzon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 21

Fallout 1. I found the game on a PC Gamer demo disc, played it over and over and eventually bought the game. It arrived on the first day of summer break in '98, so I didn't see the sun much that summer.

Zeik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Technically I think it was 2, but it was not until around the time 3 was coming out. I never finished it either. I got pretty close as I recall, but lost interest.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#28  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

Fallout 2 was my first as well, in 1999. Loved it and bought the first one a few days later.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm one of the new school kids who played the third one first. I feel like if I attempted to play the first two games I'd run into the same issue I have with Baldur's Gate.

Avatar image for deactivated-601df795ee52f
deactivated-601df795ee52f

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3. Hated it at first, gave it another chance, realized I was playing it wrong the first time, then became one of my favorite games of all time. And New Vegas was even better than that.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started with Fallout 3 on 360 was my first taste of the franchise followed by New Vegas. Transitioned to PC gaming at the end of the previous console gen and tried Fallout 1 and it really wasn't my cup of tea; got out of the opening cave and to the first town and gave up. Should probably give it a fairer go some time in the future but honestly just think it's not for me.

matatat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I feel bad for the person who answered with Brotherhood of Steel.

That game was just buggy and awful.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#34  Edited By BeachThunder

This is pretty much exactly what I expected from the poll. I first played Fallout 1 in 2010, and I loved it. Since then, I've played 2, Tactics, and 3; I'd still say that the original is the best.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout, not until way later then it was released, but it was still my first, I had to stop after a little while because I had NO idea what I was doing and there wasn't exactly any tutorial (I grew up in the era where even a basic tutorial was usually in a game) so not having one was annoying and aggravating and I went "I HATE THIS!"
But after a few more years (still before Fallout 3 though) I had gotten an itch to re-try it and this time it went smoothly and it has been my favorite ever since.

sungahymn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By sungahymn

Fallout 3 was my first, and my favorite. Must have spent HUNDREDS of hours into that game, not counting the countless save-reloads I did.

New Vegas was good, too. I tried F2, but it wasn't my thing.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

Fallout 3. I bought the GOTY edition with all the DLC in 2010. I also bought Oblivion at the same time and played it more. My brother played TONS of Fallout 3.

Dave_Tacitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Fallout. I thought I'd lost the discs for the original games a few years ago (pre-GOG) so picked up the Fallout 1, 2 & Tactics bundle. Then I moved house and a box of old games went missing so I eventually picked them up again on GOG.

A few weeks ago I was hunting around in my loft and found them all, including the first ones I'd bought.

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout! I was a little to young to understand exactly what was going on, but I have always loved the post-apocalypse. I just pre-ordered Fallout 4 for my PS4 and I'm hella excited

Hamborgini

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3 was the first and last Fallout game I will play. I really did not care for it.

Ryuku_Ryosake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I tried out Fallout 2 in the hype leading up to Fallout 3. I didn't finish it but I enjoyed it and it gave me a general feel for the series. Since then I have only finished Fallout 3 and New Vegas. I have gone back and played Fallout and got close to the end.

Fallout 3 is my favorite but I do see how it is very much the outlier of the series. Fallout 3 has the Road Warrior/Fury Road apocalypse compared to the rest of the series' original Mad Max apocalypse. In Fallout 3 you only have very small very localized pockets of weird and zany societies like the Republic of Dave but otherwise it is an actual wasteland. In the rest of the Fallout series, the apocalypse is mainly just the complete collapse of federal government and the economy. It's more the wild west than complete societal collapse. You still have governmental type bodies from city to up about the state level.

stonyman65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Played Fallout 2 first in 2001. My friend was telling me about New Reno and the Enclave and I was super interested. It was the first time I had played a game like that and had no idea what I was doing so it was rough in the beginning, but once I made it to The Den I was hooked. To this day Fallout 2 is still my favorite game in the franchise.

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout 3, took me 2 tries to get into it. First effort up to the first town (bomb town-my name, needs to pop back up in a Mad Max game next to bullet town and gas town), and I just was not feeling it.

I started fresh again a few months later, and my attitude slammed over to the other extreme. That feeling of crossing the wasteland at night...

betaband

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Fallout and Fallout 2 are to this day my favourite games. I even love Fallout Tactics.

Moonshadow101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

3 -> 1 -> 2 -> NV.

Enjoyed 1 and 2 well enough, but wasn't overly impressed by them. Currently playing Wasteland 2 though. (Or I would be, if they'd get the damn patch out.)

ichthy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really, REALLY, hope Fallout 4 grabs me. I want to like these games so badly, but I haven't gotten further than two hours into any of them.

Driadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@skullpanda1: It had some pretty awesome stuff. Indie was booming on old Macs.

Avatar image for bicycle_repairman
Bicycle_Repairman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would like to vote: None.

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Played New Vegas came out for a few hours then picked up 3 GOTY and put a solid 100 hours into it before going back to NV.

mbannick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darkmoney52 said:

Yep, I started with Fallout 3. I tried to go back to the first two after hearing a lot of people compare them to New Vegas (My all time favorite game) but I really can't get into them. I'm generally less of a fan of isometric RPGs in general and Fallout 2 in particular feels truly awful to control. Ordering my character somewhere and watching him slowly trudge over there makes me feel actively uncomfortable.

Fallout 2 has an extremely tough opening but it will get way better after that. Also, you can make your character run by double clicking.