Current State of Fallout 76 from those who are playing it

Avatar image for deactivated-6357e03f55494
deactivated-6357e03f55494

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

So we're almost 6 months after the, rather negative, launch of Fallout 76.

I never picked it up, and haven't really been keeping up with what Bethesda has been doing to it, but I've seen it on rather steep sale numerous times and have always been curious.

Anyone currently still playing it? How are you enjoying it, what have they added to expand what there is to do or address people's complaints early on? Finally, how is this game solo? I have some friends I could convince to get it but there's no guarantee they'll stick with it.

I did play the beta, and one of my major disappointments was the lack of story interaction. It had a very vanilla WoW feel to it which, obviously as Blizzard has changed the way they do questing, isn't ideal.

I'm all ears!

BoOzak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I bought some friends a copy for christmas (as it was on sale) as a sort of a joke, we all love fallout but this isnt what we wanted out of the franchise or Bethesda in general. (like many people) We've been playing it off and on since, usually when theres a drought of other things to play. It's a mess, after numerous patches and fixes it's still buggy, the missions arent fun, there isnt much in the way of new weapons or enemies, much of it feels recycled from Fallout 4. The one good thing I can say about it is that West Virginia can be quite good looking and fun to explore at times but it's not worth the hassle of all the survival bullshit that the game demands you deal with. It's not like I have a low tolerance for that either, I didnt mind Metal Gear Survive, hell that game was polished by comparison.

Anyway, I would say wait until it's heavily discounted or free (if you're on xbox I could see it coming to game pass) I bought the game for £20 and I still feel conned. (granted the information was out there on what the game was, I just had to see it myself) I havent played the game solo but I wouldnt recommend it. (although at least you wouldnt feel the guilt of convincing people to play this trash)

Avatar image for shivermetimbers
shivermetimbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

I like the idea of an open world online shooter, but I really would strongly recommend against playing this. There needs to be more character to the world, more sense of awe, or at the very least a good story or progression of some kind. All of that is pretty much non existent. The game is really stuck between a survival game, a loot shooter and an MMO. It does none well.

Avatar image for deactivated-64162a4f80e83
deactivated-64162a4f80e83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

A duder kindly gifted me it on the unofficial fb page. I played it last month, enemies still cant even run/animate properly

Acura_Max

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I haven't played it myself, but I have heard the fallout 76 community was not happy that Bethesda went back on it's promise to offer cosmetic microtransactions only.

ka385385

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I haven't played it myself, but I have heard the fallout 76 community was not happy that Bethesda went back on it's promise to offer cosmetic microtransactions only.

Well actually....

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5d1d502761653
deactivated-5d1d502761653

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivermetimbers said:

The game is really stuck between a survival game, a loot shooter and an MMO. It does none well.

This - the engine shows that it was at no point built to support real time action combat, as comparable shooters do. Beyond that the games design simply never really knows if it wants to be a survival or looter shooter and fails basically at both.

pweidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#8  Edited By pweidman

While the repair kits are not cosmetic, they are just for lazy fucks who don't wanna farm supplies. The old way of repairing was not changed. Also combat is pretty good(especially shooting); at least as good as FO4. And you can perk card the survival aspects and the combat to tailor to your preference, and all that stuff works really well. The game's fun solo, and even better with a few friends. I've had many good experiences with randoms helping out, and I really like that organic stuff, especially so in the super chaotic nuke zones. Griefing has been no problem for me whatsoever in PvE(they are beta testing PvP servers now), although I'm sure stupid shit happens because of a few pukes who have nothing better to do....but it's rare, just check with the community. I like the way you discover the story bits; and it's far more cohesive and interesting than the lame stories of Fo3 and 4.

The engine isn't strong enough to support the world at 100% as intended, but things work as designed most of the time. The things that don't are mostly missing prompts, unrecognized items, funky slow world loads, and other buggy small stuff. It's much better than at launch and the servers are much more stable.

I've played the game off and on since it launched and I can't agree with most of the comments itt. Ask people who still play and they'll tell you the game can be a real blast, and it is still janky, but more stable than ever, and it has a lot of new content. The quality and depth of the new stuff is mediocre at best though imo. End game still needs to be overhauled and redesigned with more legs and depth.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I bought it day one for $60. I thought, "It's Bethesda, they're one of the best studios right?" Wow, was I wrong. My hangup is not the standard "it's not single player Fallout 5". I was always fine with me to see what they did with an online multiplayer game. My problem with it, is that I feel they launched it VERY undercooked, and still charged full price for it. It's not just buggy, but content-incomplete and feature-incomplete. It needed another year in the oven. They didn't launch Fallout 76 so much as try to GET AWAY with Fallout 76!

It has the worse type of repeatable MMO daily quests. The game encourages collecting things for crafting, while also punishing you with a small item cap. They apparently have to limit the number of items on each server for weird game engine reasons.

Perhaps they can turn it around if they keep adding content for another six months, but they have really tarnished their reputation with me. All excitement for future Bethesda releases is gone. I learned my lesson to never pre-order anything ever, even from reputable studios. Just pump the brakes on the hype train, and take the cautious-optimism approach.