Farmville goes to a farm upstate where it can roam with other Facebook games

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#1 FinalDasa  Moderator

Eleven years after it was launched, Farmville is coming to an end. I know, you've spent hours raising your crops, corraling your pigs, and creating a video series around the game that was never concluded.

If you're blissfully unaware of Farmville, please allow me to ruin that for you. Farmville was a 'social media' game back when Facebook was a different kind of evil in our lives. It coincided with the sudden rise of social media and showed what these new platforms were capable of. Digital farming.

The crux of the experience was the required social network hooks that would fill up notifications and feeds with requests for seeds.

So what's causing this cash cow to head to the slaughterhouse? Flash. At the end of the year pretty much everyone is finally quitting Flash cold turkey, including Facebook. Zynga, the publisher of Farmville, won't be updating the game to avoid this fate and so Farmville bites the dust.

Farmville still exists, there are several sequels out there, and if you're still dedicated to your original plot of land then don't worry. Farmville is accepting payments up until November, because why not?

CptBedlam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

# TeamButtbarn

superslidetail

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I use to play the hell out of that game like 10 years ago...mafia wars too.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

2020 has been on such an incredibly hot win streak that it was bound for something bad to happen eventually.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This is a bad day for agriculture.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6  Edited By Relkin

End of an...era? I guess? You know, I had forgotten this existed until I saw this thread.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

What's the Vernn diagram of people who spammed Farmville requests and people who went on to use Facebook to spread conspiracy theories?

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This really puts a wrinkle in my plans for a Cobra Kai-esque show featuring Steve and Kessler renewing their Farmville rivalry 30 years later

martyns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I liked Farmville for a hot minute. That era of social media games can definitely stay dead, but Farmville and one of those crime empire games definitely drove me to join a few friendly groups on Facebook or elsewhere and that part I kinda miss more than the games themselves.