• 79 results
ominousbedroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#51  Edited By ominousbedroom

you cannot be excited about any video games. that means you are a lowest common denominator sheep who cannot see potential flaws in a game's development or outcome. no video game, or any medium, deserves your interest. treat all things on the assumption that they are GARBAGE!! join us superior skeptics and be TRULY FREE!!!!!

this is a sar-chasm

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Remaking FFVII is like remaking Super Mario Bros. It might have been the best thing ever at the time, but it'll never be innovative again. Final Fantasy VII was amazing in 1997 because it was an immersive cinematic experience in the land of side scrolling platformers and shooters with little-to-no plot. Making it again in the age of games like The Last of Us and The Walking Dead is misled. The story telling is certainly not the caliber of either of those games, and there's not really much they can do with the story of FFVII. If they change it, everyone will hate it. If they leave it the same, everyone will hate it. I honestly think this is a huge blunder on Square's part. The zeitgeist surrounding FFVII is best left alone.

I do hope they prove me wrong.

Nasar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I love FF VII but I was of the opinion that they should not remake the game because it would never live up to people's expectations. That said, I will definitely buy and play this remake. It's not just gonna be a graphical overhaul; they are modernizing the gameplay too, at least according to Nomura. Haters gonna hate, though.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Don't apologize for being right, FFVII is a masterpiece that deserves a full scale remake, and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't hold it as the greatest JRPG of all time, it's not even my fav Final Fantasy, but as far as cultural status and nostalgia go I feel it's more deserving than the vast majority of games that are getting remasters and crap now.

aktivity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By aktivity

Never played FF7, but grew up hearing people talk about how great it was. Tried playing it last year, but it's too rough for me to get into. I'm one of those people that sees this as a chance to experience the game for myself. Besides people act as if remake's are as common as remasters, when that is not the case at all. If this doesn't fit the spirit of a remake, I don't know what does.

ViciousReiven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: What do you mean people will hate it if it doesn't change? I don't get it, that's what they want for the most part, minor deviations and expanded dialogue aside.

Poonz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess I'm a jerk too

Ungodly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm pretty sure the majority is in favor of this happening, and that what you're talking about is the ever present vocal minority. That said, I'm im the camp of, let's see what we're getting before we collectively lose our minds in either direction. We know it would cost way too much to perfectly recreat FF7, so how they go about editing down the game to fit a decent budget, is what I'm most curious about. Will Vicent and Yuffie be upgraded to the main cast, and be included in the ending? Will you be able to revive Aerith? Will I spam Knights of the Round, in every hard fight, to trivialize the difficulty? These are some of the questions I want answered before I get even remotely curious.

Also Nomura being attached has me less interested.

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Word up FF7 for life.

Avatar image for hippie_genocide
hippie_genocide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The more I think about this the more I think this shouldn't exist. FFVII is a fairly dense game with the amount of locations and things you can do and updating all that to modern AAA quality is kind of an insane endeavor. Just look at the Mt Condor rts game - it can still play simplistically but that is going to need to look like SC2 quality to fit in with the rest of the world. You could make a shitty little mini game in 1997 and not have it be totally incongruous to the rest of your game. Not so in 2015. I could see just that mini game hogging up a lot of time and resources. Now multiply that times a thousand to do everything else. I still find this project super intriguing though. It's going to be a gruesome clusterfuck of a train wreck that I won't be able to look away from.

DocHaus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 11

I've been hearing a lot of people wondering about who this game is for, and I can answer that.

Me. It's for me.

Loading Video...

CByrne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hopefully they don't mess it up for you.

Sinusoidal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sinusoidal: What do you mean people will hate it if it doesn't change? I don't get it, that's what they want for the most part, minor deviations and expanded dialogue aside.

I guarantee you there will be a large contingent of FFVII purists deriding every minor change in the game and accusing it of not being FFVII anymore.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#65  Edited By SSully

@ssully: Except there hasn't been a proper "remake" of a game that I can think of since the original REmake on Gamecube. Higher resolution ports aren't really remakes and aren't usually changing things. There's a big difference between REmake/this FF7 remake and your various HD remaster collections.

For the record this is just my general attitude for all things remakes, be it films or games. There is a difference between HD Remaster's and remakes, and I think all the HD Remasters are WAYYYY shittier then this FF7 remake, but I still am of the mind that things that were great in the past should just have their place in history and thats it.

At the end of the day though they are doing it and I just hope they do it right.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ssully said:
@jesushammer said:

@ssully: Except there hasn't been a proper "remake" of a game that I can think of since the original REmake on Gamecube. Higher resolution ports aren't really remakes and aren't usually changing things. There's a big difference between REmake/this FF7 remake and your various HD remaster collections.

For the record this is just my general attitude for all things remakes, be it films or games. There is a difference between HD Remaster's and remakes, and I think all the HD Remasters are WAYYYY shittier then this FF7 remake, but I still am of the mind that things that were great in the past should just have their place in history and thats it.

At the end of the day though they are doing it and I just hope they do it right.

So you've never bought a film on DVD or bluray you already own on VHS?

SirFork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By SirFork

I don't much care for FF7, but think it's pretty cool you guys are finally getting the remake you've been wanting for god knows how long now. People just like to shit on others excitement, because you know everything fucking sucks nowadays and they can't take enjoyment in anything etc etc.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee said:
@ssully said:
@jesushammer said:

I have, but I think that comparison falls apart considering the effort and cost difference between the two. Are you telling me it doesn't bum you out at all seeing the number of previous gen games being "Remastered" for this gen versus new games?

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I am 100% in the snark camp. I am also 100% in the excitement camp. I am pretty sure this is gonna be a clusterfuck but I REALLY want to see how it goes. And hey, maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised!

The only jerks are the ones being sour pusses.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

@ssully said:
@yummylee said:
@ssully said:
@jesushammer said:

I have, but I think that comparison falls apart considering the effort and cost difference between the two. Are you telling me it doesn't bum you out at all seeing the number of previous gen games being "Remastered" for this gen versus new games?

The cost difference is definitely a factor, but it's still largely the same concept. And as someone who doesn't have access to a decent gaming PC, I've actually enjoyed being able to play so many games at a higher framerate & resolution than the norm on consoles. Though even had I access to a gaming PC, I'd still be willing to buy all the first-party remasters, such as Gears of War, the Uncharted games, and so on. That's also not counting the remasters that are actually adding in some rather significant new content, such as DMC4's Special Edition.

indieslaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, I don't know, I'm just excited to play through it again, see what a good translation does for the game.

I should say, in addition to being the jerk they are making this game for, I am also a Tool fan, and I think Terminator 2 is the best in the series. Also, I hate wrestling, and will only wear a Lynyrd Skynyrd shirt ironically (see also: my profile pic for a tye-dye'd Skynyrd-y slice of America).

GERALTITUDE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Nearly 8 million views on YouTube so far...

I'd say that, at the least, you're not the only jerk interested in the game :P

@ssully: does no part of you feel this opinion is a little selfish? If I didn't play a game last gen, I'm getting a chance to play it this gen. Who are you to rob me of that experience? Especially when the cost to make a remaster (FFVII is not a remaster, that's a remake) does not stop other games from being made. The opposite is true. Because remasters are low budget and made by tertiary teams and porthouses they can help fund the development of new games.

I didn't play Tomb Raider on PS3. Playing it on PS4 was awesome. How that does that hurt you?

sirkibble2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:

I am with Brad in that it's just a bummer that resources are going into this instead of something new. Same goes for all the HD remakes.

I agree with Brad but something new probably isn't going to help Square's financials. I'm sure he knows this too, which is why this does make this a bummer. At least they're publishing other new stuff. I'm excited for the new Star Ocean, personally.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm all for it, as long as they aren't too slavish about it. If they can keep everything good but address the shitty gameplay / random encounters that'd be great. I realise that approach wouldn't please everyone, but I only care about them pleasing me.

Budwyzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ssully said:
@thepanzini said:
@ssully said:

I am with Brad in that it's just a bummer that resources are going into this instead of something new. Same goes for all the HD remakes.

FF11, FF13, FF13-2, FF13-3 and Verses 13 SE new stuff has been steller. Haven't had a proper console AAA turn based JRPG since Lost Odyssey, how are they wasting resources? FF7 remake will outsell every game SE put out last gen.

Did you mean hasn't been stellar? I haven't seen someone use the word stellar with FF13 in a few years.

Also I never said they are wasting resources, I said it's a bummer that this is where they are putting their resources. This is good business decision for them because it will make them money, and it will make the fans happy. I said it's a bummer because we are in a time now where nostalgia has more power then originality.

I don't think your last statement is true. There's more original content being released these days than there ever was before. We're still getting new things, just not from the same publishers that gave us the old things that we loved at the time.

subyman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really liked FF7 when I was younger. I'm interested in what they do. People that didn't like the game, there are plenty of games to go around for everyone.

SSully

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@budwyzer: You are 100% correct in that we are getting plenty of new things. Smaller games have never been better. I just feel big AAA games are stagnant. Smaller games are fantastic, but there is something special about a big, unique, big budget game. It was so easy to hop on board last gen because there were so many new and crazy IP's. Be it Gears, Assassians Creed, Uncharted, or anything else. There was a ton of new big games doing new things, and this Gen we just have a lot of those same franchises.

I feel like some newer IP's are slowly squeaking out, but it's no where near the rate that last gen was. Once again I think this is because how risky and expensive newer games are.

@geraltitude: No one is robbing you of anything. The game still exists on multiple platforms, and it is still good on those platforms. Also it doesn't hurt me. You are making this oddly personal and I am not sure why. It's a bummer to me because it's a bad trend. Publisher's are pushing out these remakes to basically buy time/money until they can put out a proper sequel of that same franchise. If these remakes were being used to fund completely new projects, I wouldn't be so down on it. But the Gear's anniversary game is being put out to push the new Gears game. The Uncharted Collection is leading the push for Uncharted 4. In Capcom's case remakes seem to be their whole new business model.

I am happy that you and other people are getting to try slightly better versions of older games, but it's really fucking boring.

Zefpunk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You are never a jerk for enjoying something you like that doesn't hurt anyone else in the least bit.

knoxt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apparently, it's for me too, and I didn't even know it. I may have even scoffed at the idea once or twice in the last five years, but whoa man, I was wrong, and it's my favorite 2020 release so far without question.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Yeah this dude was totally vindicated. I loved original FF7 and had no interest in the remake, but yea, I'm 11 hours in and it has been truly brilliant