Are We All Gonna Play Fortnite Now?

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

User Lists: 12

Edited By daavpuke

So I bought a Nintendo Switch. I think I said that already. With the help of the Giant Bomb community, I made a small list of games that I'd one day try to find an affordable copy of, though I'll admit it's a mission that's a lot harder than I thought. Nintendo things are an eternal constant. There are about a dozen titles I'm keeping an eye out for, like Selener.

While I'm waiting for the fateful day, but also because buying a Switch made me eat sleep for dinner a few times, I looked up a few free games to play. This being the current dystopian future we all wanted, I can't just play free games on a Switch. That would be too simple. Online activation requires a paid subscription and while Nintendo has a fairly priced plan, it is still paying for a service that should be free. I'm not quite going to do that yet; maybe after they beef up the selection of emulated games. Put Terranigma on there and we'll talk.

No Caption Provided

There are, luckily, a few exceptions to online taxation. A select amount of titles are so big that their critical mass escapes the Nintendo paywall. You can't be the one platform without the current tastemaker. That's like reverse money making or something; I don't know, I didn't read Freakonomics. So, thanks to TikTok making me a thought zombie, I downloaded Fall Guys, since the platform game is having a crazy resurgence. If anything, I just wanted to know what all the in-jokes on my feed were about. My verdict is: That game is okay. I both understand why it's easily playable and why people would have lost interest so quickly the first time. Again, I think the Switch control design is awful, so that doesn't help me in my games. I briefly flirted with buying some cosmetics, because Fall Guys is an exception that makes its microtransactions actually micro. Then I started grinding dailies and since those missions include team modes, I hit the Pokémon Unite wall, where solo players are always grouped with children. I don't want to go through that again, so I stopped playing. Here's a free game design tip: How about you use all that data that I know you're mining off me to make a checkbox that lets me pair with adults only? Just a thought.

No Caption Provided

On a whim, I downloaded Fortnite; that other big game. As you know, I'm a huge PUBG fan and I had been long overdue to try some battle royale action again. I cleared all of the tiny internal storage on a Switch to do so, since I also don't have an SD card yet. An hour or so later, I was dropping on what felt like a brand new game. I played Fortnite in Season 1, and yes they're doing seasons now, but this Goliath has since morphed into a whole new beast. Honestly, the game feels extremely overwhelming at first. I find the constant objective stimulation to be a bit of a dark pattern, but I managed to quickly tune it out. There are a metric ton of things to do in Fortnite; some you'll do organically and some you won't. I advise to just play normally at first and once the pinball sounds stop happening, only then hop into the quests tab, to see what else you could do.

I'm playing the game mode without building. Shooters on a controller are already bad enough to wield; I don't want to also do rotating building sequences that will give me carpal tunnel. Fortnite is so much more fun without building and I used to build all the time. Without that hassle, you free a lot of mind space to think about learning the myriad of mini game systems instead. There's Spider-Man swinging, fishing, riding sharks, weird roller coasters, vehicle modding; there are too many things to mention. I don't think I've ever learned so much about a game that I technically played before.

Beep beep, so let's ride
Beep beep, so let's ride

My favorite thing to do in this game is to just drive around. Fortnite is a vessel that lifts from other games, ever since they fucked over their business partners in PUBG. It's what made Epic billionaires. For their cars, specifically, they ate GTA's lunch surprisingly well, by adding real-time radio. Especially since I'm a solo warrior, I drop at the edge of the map and need to somehow make my way into the circle every time. To do so, I'll just hop into a vehicle, turn on a station that's full of TikTok sounds and start cruising around the map, hitting opponents with my car. It's never not fun to hit someone and watch them fly off into space. On top of that, you can attach a cow catcher to your ride and ram any structure in your path. Is your enemy running into a building, thinking they outsmarted you? Simply knock down the building with them in it! It catches people off guard almost every time. I'm telling you, this mechanism is hilarious and it's the closest I'll come to reliving the days of when vehicular combat was alive and well. That's why H1Z1's Auto Royale car mode is the second best battle royale ever made, after Radical Heights.

Ever since I started playing, I almost instantly fell into the deep end. In six days, I managed to get to level 96 on the battle pass, just endlessly looking forward to the next objective to complete. My Twitter has become a nightmare, where I just tweet about Fortnite every day. I'm bleeding followers, because of all of the Fortnite. If I win a game, I almost compulsively take a screenshot, so no one can doubt whether I actually won. I even managed to surpass several of my lifetime battle royale goals, like winning two games in a row or getting double digit kills. Granted, the Switch pool only has a few players that are impossibly good, but I'm also impossibly bad at controlling the joy-cons, so I think it balances out a bit. Hell, I'll periodically play bad enough that the game will literally make bots fall from the sky, so you can feel good about killing someone. Bots aren't quite as bad as in PUBG, but they do have big tells. All of them try to break walls if their pathing fails and they have magic aim, turning on you from hundreds of meters away, if you get in their vision range. Bots are great target practice, which I desperately need, so I'm okay with their presence.

I killed one of those Narutos in this one, so I hit em with the default dance
I killed one of those Narutos in this one, so I hit em with the default dance

By some coincidence, Giant Bomb also got back into Fortnite. Considering this particular timing, I hopped in the Playdate stream and had a blast watching the crew and duders learn what I just learned: Fortnite is a fun time. I hope they do more of those streams. Several people in chat mentioned installing the game as well and I can only hope their journey is as enjoyable as mine has been. There's more than enough video game around the edges that you don't immediately feel like you're just getting beaten into the ground. That trial by fire that happens in most other games gets softened here with all the wacky side antics you can focus on instead. You will still need to be able to shoot a gun, but I've watched a fair share of end games where the last person is just crouching in a bush to win it. It will likely happen for you as well. You will get a Victory Royale that will enable you to sing that song about Tomato Town.

I'm so close to completing the battle pass that I'll probably keep going until I do. Even if I find V-bucks reprehensible, I'll buy the pass once to cap off the good times I've had. There are a few skins that don't feel like highway robbery as well, on top of some pretty well designed ones. If I had unlimited money, I'd get the Street Fighter crew that's currently in the store. Blanka in a suit goes pretty hard. Who knows, maybe I'll play enough Fortnite that I won't mind giving them more money to make Apple memes. Time will tell. I guess that means that I won't be playing a main Switch game for a while after all.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

I finally jump on something that The Kids might be into (Multiversus) and all of a sudden FORTNITE is back in the conversation?!

I'm staring to think I'll NEVER be IT or WITH IT. Almost as if they changed what IT is.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Undeadpool

@topcyclist: I think PUBG is the worst game to ever win GOTY on this site, and I think it's hilarious that people keep stumbling bass-ackwards into realizing that Grimdark Bullshit went out of style with Spawn comics. Rant away, I'm all about The New Sincerity and actually enjoying fun things rather than pretending that they're shitty to feel superior.

@daavpuke:See?? I don't even know what THAT means!

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Whelp, time to get back into Fortnite until I remember why I stopped playing in the first place. It's been a couple years and I think it had something to do with the building part of the game.

eccentrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 15

@topcyclist: I think PUBG is the worst game to ever win GOTY on this site, and I think it's hilarious that people keep stumbling bass-ackwards into realizing that Grimdark Bullshit went out of style with Spawn comics. Rant away, I'm all about The New Sincerity and actually enjoying fun things rather than pretending that they're shitty to feel superior.

If it's about what's actually enjoyable, who cares whether it's in style or not?

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@topcyclist: I was in the camp of people who couldn't wrap their heads around building/building effectively. I would see people build their towers and get the upper hand in a matter of seconds and I felt that in order to progress further I would need to be able to do that and I just fell off.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I also love PUBG and I've been wondering since a while ago should I also go and try Fortnite, even if it's just the no build mode. 🤣

SpunkyHePanda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#13  Edited By SpunkyHePanda

Zero build mode convinced me to download the game again after a few years away, and yeah, it's fun. It wasn't so much the frustration at being outdone by the good players, I just couldn't help feeling that the building felt... pointless? Aside from throwing a couple of walls up in a panic or a ramp to get somewhere out of reach, the whole idea of building up this elaborate fort seemed completely at odds with a game that forces you to move to a new location every couple of minutes. It always felt to me like a feature tacked onto a game mode it wasn't made for, because well, that's what it is. Destructible environments are dope though, and they work great in the format.

I sort of expected this mode to be packed with people good at the shooting part, but I'm regularly getting 5+ kills per match, and to be clear, I'm not very good. I dunno if the majority of players are kids on their phone while their mom buys groceries or what, but I'm not complaining.

Anyway, I unlocked an outfit for Indiana Jones today, then popped over to the item shop and found a Gangnam Style emote for sale. Weird game.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyway, I unlocked an outfit for Indiana Jones today, then popped over to the item shop and found a Gangnam Style emote for sale. Weird game.

Make sure you do the missions to unlock Sexy Indiana Jones too. It's my current favorite. Here's me taking a selfie as the sexy doc:

No Caption Provided

tartyron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I fell off PUBG fairly quickly, only got maybe 15-20 hours total and I never really had a desire to play Fortnite. I’m likely to still not play either going forward. I’ll admit that I did enjoy battle Royale for some time but the shine wore off quick due to the player population, which honestly ruins all multiplayer games for me to the point I simply don’t play anything that allows communication between players with little exceptions like Elden Ring because it disallows them from talking. The internet is a horrible mistake that will kill us all. I don’t need my hobby to remind me of that.

But I’m glad more people are finding something they like, regardless of what that something is.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tartyron: I think, unlike PUBG, Fortnite is a lot better solo. Or at least I don't think the group stuff ads as much. That said, I always play without voice on. Every BR has a ping system now, so talking is optional.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eccentrix: A lot more people than you'd think. I'm a pop culture junkie, it's incredible to watch the ebbs and flows of what people insist on taking far, far too seriously.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I sort of expected this mode to be packed with people good at the shooting part, but I'm regularly getting 5+ kills per match, and to be clear, I'm not very good. I dunno if the majority of players are kids on their phone while their mom buys groceries or what, but I'm not complaining.

Oh look a sweaty FPS bully. 🤣 just kidding. is fornite totally crossplay on PC versus mobiles? that's not really fair if it is, is it?

@eccentrix: A lot more people than you'd think. I'm a pop culture junkie, it's incredible to watch the ebbs and flows of what people insist on taking far, far too seriously.

I also am an observer of pop culture on the internet and IRL, and I must say, it's hard to play catch up. 😐

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Undeadpool

@armoredmachine: It's been weird as someone who lived through the bad old days of grimdark bullshit in comics seeing videogames, and then comic book MOVIES, fall ass-backwards into the exact same traps.

And it's been wonderful watching what's pushed through and come out the other side by embracing the opposite.

Y2Ken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 28

I don't personally care for Fortnite - I'm not especially a fan of BRs as-is and, as (I believe) Austin put it, the "peak" gameplay of Fortnite isn't something that appeals to me to work towards (that is to say, I don't think I'd personally find it satisfying to be really good at Fortnite, because the particular nuances of gameplay just aren't to my tastes).

That said, I absolutely respect the hangout sandbox that Fortnite has become. It's funny having to explain to more "hardcore" players that probably a majority of the people going into a match don't really care if they win; they're there to hang out, shoot the shit, and show off their cosmetics. If they happen to pull a Victory Royale out the bag, that's a nice bonus on top.

daiphyer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Actually, after watching the QL and realizing there is a no build mode now, I downloaded it to play with my brothers. It'd been a while since we played anything together, and this was a reason good as any to hang out and play video games together again. It is actually very enjoyable. They've been playing it for years so they are way better than I am, but I can still hold my own, being the eldest brother and all.

ArmoredMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@y2ken said:

I don't personally care for Fortnite - I'm not especially a fan of BRs as-is and, as (I believe) Austin put it, the "peak" gameplay of Fortnite isn't something that appeals to me to work towards (that is to say, I don't think I'd personally find it satisfying to be really good at Fortnite, because the particular nuances of gameplay just aren't to my tastes).

That said, I absolutely respect the hangout sandbox that Fortnite has become. It's funny having to explain to more "hardcore" players that probably a majority of the people going into a match don't really care if they win; they're there to hang out, shoot the shit, and show off their cosmetics. If they happen to pull a Victory Royale out the bag, that's a nice bonus on top.

though I'm a fan of BR's I have to agree that fortnite really is a casual "hang out " place for some people now, and like you said, if they win, then that's just a bonus. Somehow the Fortnite culture evolved that way, and it's not necessarily a bad thing. 🙂

@daiphyer said:

Actually, after watching the QL and realizing there is a no build mode now, I downloaded it to play with my brothers. It'd been a while since we played anything together, and this was a reason good as any to hang out and play video games together again. It is actually very enjoyable. They've been playing it for years so they are way better than I am, but I can still hold my own, being the eldest brother and all.

Now that's a fine example of having fun and not really trying to be a stressed out "sweaty" player. 😉

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

When they let me play as Wallace Shawn beating down Bobcat Goldthwait, I'm on board.

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daavpuke: I just unlocked Indy last night and yeah, my next goal is getting the Sexy Doc. But having to remember shoot a revolver at things is gonna be a pain.😅

Broshmosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like games where I join a queue, only to be placed in a lobby to wait for a few more minutes, only to wait another minute before the gameplay actually starts after the waiting room closes, before running around aimlessly and dying because I am worse than 99% of the people playing, then having to repeat the waiting in full.

So no, I won't be playing Fortnite.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: Well now you can just KAMEHAMEHA!

If any of you still need convincing:

If you also try your hand at the (very extensive) quest line, you'll be able to ride in on Shenron at the end of the event. One of those quests include watching a bit of Dragon Ball Super in Fortnite

No Caption Provided

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daavpuke: I took off work today for this. My kids are gonna hate me for playing so much without them.

daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chamurai: haha well I, for one, admire that kind of dedication!

chamurai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@daavpuke: I needed a day off and this was a good enough excuse to take it. 👍