• 55 results
#1 Edited by Chaser324 (8578 posts) -

The embargo for Forza Horizon 2 reviews is up today (a full five days prior to the games release). Overall, the impressions seem pretty positive, especially in terms of the looks and the the open world, but a small subset seem to think the career mode can be a bit too much of a grind or don't care for the change in atmosphere and focus from the original Horizon.

Also, note that these all seem to be reviews of the Xbox One version. Still dead air on the 360 version if that happens to be the one you're interested in.

#2 Posted by Justin258 (15431 posts) -

I still need to play more of the original, but if I got this one it would be the 360 version.

#3 Posted by HeyGuys (566 posts) -

What's the atmosphere like this time? I did kind of like Horizon's super cheesy but unflinchingly un-ironic music festival-ish silliness.

#4 Posted by Humanity (18057 posts) -

Seems that GameSpots remaining editorial didn't catch up to this one yet. Now that I think about it, apart from Vanord and McShea I don't really know who writes reviews over there anymore.

#5 Posted by soulcake (2336 posts) -

@heyguys: its the South of France with some drum and bass music.

#6 Posted by Chaser324 (8578 posts) -

@humanity said:

Seems that GameSpots remaining editorial didn't catch up to this one yet. Now that I think about it, apart from Vanord and McShea I don't really know who writes reviews over there anymore.

GameSpot has gone the route of relying primarily on a stable of freelancers. Just go check out the names on recent reviews.

#7 Posted by BoOzak (2401 posts) -

Glad to see the inclusion of drivatars didnt mess this game up too much.

#8 Edited by R_Coles (114 posts) -

Nice! The demo was amazing, especially the last race against the aerial show. Definitely picking this up for X1!

#9 Posted by EuanDewar (5160 posts) -

@humanity said:

McShea was one of those unfortunately let go, I believe.

#11 Posted by notnert427 (2124 posts) -
@falconer said:

The dude that reviewed it for IGN is a god damn moron. Yes, I am hype for this game. No, I don't care that they "only" gave it a 9/10. However, when your ONLY complaint about the game is something that is a bullet point for the franchise, AND you're completely wrong about it, you can go eat a hot bowl of dicks.

(IGN review complained about fucking paint jobs in a god damn Forza game. Seriously?! Then he said you can't "turn them off", yet in the video review he was driving plain colored cars and you see the same option from Forza 5 is there to press Y for Colors when getting a new car.)

I think he's talking about the other racers' cars.

#12 Posted by Falconer (2122 posts) -

@notnert427: That's even more asinine then. How the hell can you complain about how OTHER players choose to represent themselves?

#13 Posted by EXTomar (5047 posts) -

Its a review. He can be annoyed and praise whatever he wants. I wouldn't worry about it.

#14 Posted by Veektarius (6382 posts) -

I found Gies' review difficult to credit. He talks about a lack of progression in terms of difficulty and skills, but isn't progression in Horizon all about cars?

#15 Posted by Blu3V3nom07 (4483 posts) -

@humanity said:

Actually, Tom just got a job over at IGN. Or maybe he just did a freelancing job, I don't know.

#16 Edited by notnert427 (2124 posts) -

@falconer said:

@notnert427: That's even more asinine then. How the hell can you complain about how OTHER players choose to represent themselves?

Relax, man. And the reason is because it affects your experience. Something just doesn't seem quite right about playing a game featuring the world's most beautiful cars in the world's most beautiful region, but having that potentially spoiled a bit by some tasteless assclown who painted his Ferrari 250 GTO pink and yellow and stuck a bunch of ill-chosen, poorly-placed decals on it. I happen to agree that the option to disable liveries on other cars would be a welcome inclusion, especially given that it was in Forza 5. It's not that big a deal to me, but I get why it would bother some. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if they patch it in later.

#17 Posted by JeremyKO (61 posts) -
#18 Posted by Humanity (18057 posts) -

@euandewar said:
@humanity said:

Actually, Tom just got a job over at IGN. Or maybe he just did a freelancing job, I don't know.

I thought he was one of the people that managed to slip through the cracks. Well if he's at IGN at least he can enjoy the endless platter of chicken wings that are constantly brought to Greg Millers desk throughout the day.

#19 Posted by HatKing (7428 posts) -

@heyguys said:

What's the atmosphere like this time? I did kind of like Horizon's super cheesy but unflinchingly un-ironic music festival-ish silliness.

From the demo I would say somewhere between Top Gear and Glastonbury Music Festival, instead of somewhere between American Top Gear and, like, Bonnaroo.

#20 Edited by Paliv (240 posts) -

It's kind of a bummer, it seems they took out some of the charm of the (admittedly cheesy) storyline of the first. Also, the popularity/wristband aspect of the first, which kept me interested to get just one more race in to open more up.

#21 Posted by Nasar7 (3223 posts) -

I found Gies' review difficult to credit. He talks about a lack of progression in terms of difficulty and skills, but isn't progression in Horizon all about cars?

I haven't read his review but progression in a racing game should also be about more technical (challenging) courses and more powerful/difficult to master cars. The latter you can control through the assists but I can see the lack of the former being a bummer.

#22 Posted by JasonR86 (10209 posts) -

This is the first game that has made me want to get an Xbox One because the first game was incredible.

#23 Posted by Paliv (240 posts) -

@jasonr86: I agree I'm actually seriously considering picking up an XB1 now.

#24 Posted by csl316 (14803 posts) -

Getting an Xbox One next month, guess I gotta flip a coin between this and The Crew.

#25 Posted by Chaser324 (8578 posts) -

@csl316 said:

Getting an Xbox One next month, guess I gotta flip a coin between this and The Crew.

I'd suggest waiting for reviews of The Crew rather than leaving it up to chance.

Avatar image for thatonedudenick
#26 Posted by ThatOneDudeNick (1558 posts) -

The game looks awesome. I've pretty much ignored it up until this point (because I don't have an XB1). I just watched a few of the videos and it looks beautiful. Definitely looking to pick this up if I decide to get an XB1 this fall.

#27 Posted by xyzygy (10595 posts) -

Yup, that's it. I'm getting an Xbox One.

#28 Posted by notnert427 (2124 posts) -

It's good to hear that this is a system seller for some. The demo was/is incredible, and it does seem to be that caliber of game. The reviews are coming out strong, with even the more negative reviews still being on the high end and seeming a bit nitpicky. I love my X1, and love that it's getting Horizon 2, GTAV, and the Master Chief Collection this Fall to make it even better.

#29 Edited by Bollard (8060 posts) -
@chaser324 said:

@csl316 said:

I'd suggest waiting for reviews of The Crew rather than leaving it up to chance.

Not to be too harsh on The Crew, but I don't even think it will be a close competition. Definitely get Horizon.

Can't justify an Xbox One on this game alone sadly (well, this and the Master Chief Collection).

#30 Edited by Corevi (6796 posts) -

@bollard: D4 and Scalebound look pretty rad if you like weird Japanese games. Sunset Overdrive might be good.

#31 Posted by Bollard (8060 posts) -

@corruptedevil: I have no interest in D4 or Sunset Overdrive, but Scalebound is another one that got my attention. Monster Hunter where you ride dragons? Will be a wait-and-see for me. Plus I just bought a PS4 and GTX 980, so I think I'm good on hardware for a while.

#33 Edited by adoggz (2081 posts) -

anyone know if there will be some sort of cross gen deal, like buy it for the 360 get in on the bone for 10 bucks or something? Hopefully the 360 version is worth getting.

#34 Edited by bigjeffrey (5282 posts) -

preloaded and ready, great reception all around . Also no gb car club ?

#35 Posted by Humanity (18057 posts) -

@bollard: I dunno, I played the Crew beta and there is something strangely addictive about it. The way your car "levels" and it's all very smooth and non-intrusive to actual gameplay gives the experience a lot of momentum - you just keep going. I had a ton of fun in it anyway.

#36 Posted by FrostyRyan (2791 posts) -

Should I get this? I've never cared for racing games in my life outside of silly stuff like Burnout and Mario Kart...

Considering that, would this be for me? I hear it's ridiculous good fun.

#37 Edited by inevpatoria (7340 posts) -

Can't get behind a lot of the criticisms in the Polygon review, especially when, in respect to those criticisms, a majority of the reviews have cited exactly the opposite. But it's nice to see Horizon getting a warm reception everywhere in spite of that.

This is my most anticipated game of the year. Can't wait to finally sit down with it in full.

#38 Posted by Chaser324 (8578 posts) -
#39 Edited by Humanity (18057 posts) -

Check out Brad in this Forze Horizon 2 video that GameSpot posted on their site!

I instantly recognized the pro driver bradx0r banging away at the competition!

BRAD RACING FOR HIS LIFE

#40 Posted by officer_falcon (526 posts) -

@frostyryan:

There's a demo out now. At least for the Xbox One, unsure if the 360 has a demo as well. You may as well just check that out if you're curious.

#41 Edited by Chaser324 (8578 posts) -

@officer_falcon: There's no demo on the 360. No info about that version at all, actually. Sumo Digital is a very capable racing game developer though, so I'm curious to see how that version turns out. It's apparently going to be a pretty different game - inspired by similar concepts but built independently with a different map, events, etc.

#42 Posted by Corevi (6796 posts) -

@chaser324: Forza Horizon: Rogue and Forze Horizon: Unity.

#43 Edited by notnert427 (2124 posts) -

@humanity: Haha, nice catch. Go virtual Brad!

As for The Crew, while I must admit it's looking surprisingly good, based on the Horizon 2 demo, it's very likely to fall well short. And given that Horizon 2 is here Tuesday and The Crew is out November 11th at the earliest (assuming Ubi doesn't push it back), it's a pretty obvious choice (for me at least) to not wait the extra month and a half to probably learn that I shouldn't have waited. I'll probably be making the choice between The Crew and Project CARS in 2015 if I'm bored of Horizon 2 by then. After the dearth of summer titles, I'm more than ready to jump into what looks like a damn good racer.

#44 Posted by brandondryrock (887 posts) -

Looks awesome. Any word on a PC version of this game? Seems to be a trend for (some) Xbox One exclusives now.

#45 Edited by HatKing (7428 posts) -

Looks good. Can't wait for this game to rescue me from the abusive relationship called Destiny.

#46 Posted by dagas (3654 posts) -

Not played Forza since Forza 3 but I got interested in this but I would need to know if the 360 version is the same except for graphics or if it is lacking in some other way too.

#48 Posted by TheHT (15685 posts) -

@bollard: @corruptedevil: There's also Quantum Break, but that'll probably (hopefully) come to PC at some point.

#49 Posted by mbradley1992 (590 posts) -

This. Polygon seems more and more like they aren't going to be satisfied with anything that ever comes out for the rest of time. What kind of progression do you really expect in a racing game besides new cars and upgrades? "This level 12 skill gives +2 attributes to braking!".

I'm stoked for the game. Reviews won't change that. I played the demo and it felt like all the good parts from Forza Horizon with shiny new graphics. So I'm down.

#50 Posted by sf2733 (52 posts) -

Argh, they need to release a 360 demo. I loved the first horizon but one game is not enough to justify buying a console for me and I've already got a PS4. XBONE still needs a couple more games to make it worth it to me. Damn first world problems.