Would you like to see IO bring Freedom Fighters back by sequel and/or remaster?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you like to see IO bring Freedom Fighters back by sequel and/or remaster? (36 votes)

Yeah, I wouldn't mind seeing both. 39%
It's old enough I think a remaster would be cool, but eh, I don't really care for a sequel actually. 6%
I don't think a remaster is necessary, but I would love a sequel. 25%
I care for neither, so if it comes back or not it doesn't matter to me. 28%
Another choice not listed. 3%

Considering that IO retained the rights to Freedom Fighters alongside Hitman, I think it'd be fantastic if they brought Freedom Fighters back. By now, a remaster with their Glacier Engine would be nice, with a sequel after. I think with a few enhancements here and there, the game can still hold up perfectly fine today. Although I think Hitman is good, my favorite game of theirs is still Freedom Fighters. The New York atmosphere, the squad-based action gameplay, and phenomenal Jesper Kyd soundtrack all contribute to making it a game I still like going back to from time to time. It's a bit harder now considering I don't really care to go back to older-gen consoles, and this-gen doesn't have any back compat for that game specifically; it's also hard to find a PC copy. Although I wish I didn't have to say it (well, I don't, but I am), the story seems more timely than ever too only considering the fact it seems to be a thing in the news a lot (Russian hacking). Lastly, if anyone is curious and doesn't already know or doesn't remember, Jeff reviewed the game!

• 
mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would love a sequel but I just don't think it could live up to my expectations. An easier way to play it on a modern system would be more than enough for me.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By liquiddragon

I played through Freedom Fighters last year and had a ton of fun but I don't think it's something they'd be able to charge a lot of money for today. Ideally, they should just get it running on modern consoles/PCs and put it up on digital stores with widescreen support for $15-20.

In terms of a sequel, I hope they would keep the tone. PS2 era games all had much more of a cartoonier vibe than the gritty violence of the HD era shooters.

I always enjoyed squad shooters like FF, Rainbow 6 Vegas, Brothers in Arms? (I think I tried it once?) and even Mass Effect 2 (though it wasn't really necessary) so I'd be happy to see a new one.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Most remasters five to ten or more years older generally can't get away with going full retail price. It can, but it's usually not good. Plus, even though I find Freedom Fighters' campaign has decent replay value (I still think about it and try to play it as I mentioned), I know some people didn't, and it's a pretty short campaign so I fully agree it wouldn't be able to go for a high price. I wouldn't mind it going to Steam/GOG, but I still think a visual remaster on consoles especially would be cool with a few tweaks. Plus, my PC is no gaming PC, so I'd have some doubt.

The A.I. back then was good (it's probably still fine), but it being improved on even slightly is something I think can give it a more modern feel, or even exceeding what we see in modern games. I would also like to see, perhaps, them changing or improving on some of the building detail and architecture of the city setting to fit New York more. Something about consoles specifically is that the controls aren't up to date. The game plays in a relatively modern way, but the controls on consoles are a bit off. Just one thing though: the aiming down sights for weapons on the Xbox and PS2 is R3 click and hold as opposed to left trigger hold. Just that one fix is fine.

The GameCube, due to a lack of R3, L3 is the only console that has the aiming on the left trigger. The 360 backward compatible 'version' of Freedom Fighters has issues; I couldn't play the final stage because the game would become a huge mess full of glitches and eventually freeze on me, but with the new one going on Xbox One, maybe it'd be totally fine. I'd still be bothered by the buttons though. And yeah, the Brothers in Arms games do have squad mechanics. They're good games.

John1912

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I never got the love for that game. Tried it a couple times and could never finish it. Cant say I recall a lot of it, but remember it being kinda janky and buggy.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I’d be down for both.

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By NTM

@john1912: What version did you play? Aside from playing the 360 backward compatible version, the game isn't buggy in any way. Not from what I remember. And janky isn't really a word I'd use to describe it. The one thing I'd say can use improvement is the enemy animation deaths when they are impacted with an explosive because they are super ragdoll. I can't tell you what others loved about it, but to me, it was the atmosphere, the soundtrack, and gameplay, be it combat (with or without the squad) and even sneaking around. I think it was somewhat ahead of its time, just by several years, or just simply really well made. I say ahead of its time mainly because I don't remember a lot of well-made third-person squad shooters or games that had you aiming over the shoulder on a console or even PC; not made as well as Freedom Fighters.

ivdamke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think a remaster would be worth it. It's a very aged game and if anything I think that would turn potential new players away. A new game entirely would be cool, though it would take awhile to modernise that games formula to something people would find acceptable these days.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#8  Edited By nutter

Freedom Fighters was great and ahead of its time.

I’d love to see whatever they can throw our way.

vortextk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I don't care about Freedom Fighters, unless Drew comes back to watch Vinny play.