Do you think that we will get a new SoulsBorne game this year?

GhostPantsu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Poll Do you think that we will get a new SoulsBorne game this year? (175 votes)

Yay 3%
Nay 66%
Next Year We Will 30%

So out curiosity I checked the Wiki page for the release dates of the last couple SoulsBorne (Stupid term for saying the Dark/Demon's Souls and Bloodborne series) games. I found out that Demon Soul's came out in 2009 and Dark Souls came out in 2011. Then after Dark Souls 2 (2014) for the next two years we got another game in the series; Bloodborne (2015) and Dark Souls 3 (2016). So for the last three years we have gotten a new SoulsBorne game. Do you think we get another one this year a Bloodborne 2 or do you think the final piece of DS3 DLCs will be the only thing SoulsBorne comes out this year. My prediction is either at E3 or a Sony Event this year a Bloodborne 2 will be announce for Q1 next year. Out of left field pick, a Ps4 Remaster of Demon's Souls announcement (Finally Pre-Alpha Blighttown will have more then 20 FPS and an actual bar that shows Poison!).

- Note: No sources just guess work on predictions.

• 
Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

The only thing I know for sure, is to not call it SoulsBorne. There's no reason the worst game in that genre needs its title tacked onto the term we've been using to describe those games. Souls games are fine.

But no, I don't think so. We'll probably get some news this year maybe or next year. There was some talk that Miyazaki would create a collaborative game with the dude from Berserk, which made a ton of sense. Unfortunately, turns out that was an error in translation and isn't happening.

Puchiko

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would rather have another Armored Core game from From Software

Brackstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Brackstone

I'm going to guess no. Nioh has the market covered for now, and Miyazaki has repeatedly talked about ending the franchise/trying something new.

At most, we might see an enhanced version of Demon's Souls for PS4 get announced at some point, but i doubt there will be any completely new games. I actually don't think a Bloodborne 2 will happen, partly because of From not being interested, and partly because I feel like it's setting is more specific and limited in scope than a Dark Souls, so it has less room for sequels.

hassun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After what Miyaxzaki said I sure goddamn hope not. At least not from From Soft.

Fredchuckdave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Fredchuckdave

No, Bloodborne 2 or a Sony IP very similar to Bloodborne will happen but it seems like they're taking a year off.

Random stupid addendum for no reason: In terms of gameplay Bloodborne is easily the best in the genre; it's not even close.

Future Souls also on the docket eventually, perhaps a Cyberpunk 2077 crossover.

thepullquotes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Surge and Nioh are this year, signs point to a new Souls not being a priority for Miyazaki.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I hope not. I'd rather see the series left on a high note.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By TobbRobb

We probably won't see another game from the GOTYBloodbornebestintheseriesfeaturingsoulsgamesalso genre. They've said as much in interviews and the like before, the game that's been hinted at more is Armored Core. Though I'd like to see a new IP personally since I'm not much for mechs.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Miyazaki has so far said that FromSoftware is working on three games, at least one of which is confirmed to be a new IP. He has also said that he's focused on making new games now, not iterations on his past games. Regarding future Dark Souls games, he said, "I'm not thinking of making any sequels or spin-offs. That applies to Bloodborne too." He has also talked about not having any interest in doing any remakes, such as the wishfully rumored Demon's Souls remake, and has said, "for me and for From Software, I don't think we'll be involved with their happening, but it could happen through another developer."

With all that in mind, I think it's doubtful that From is working on any new Demon's Souls, Dark Souls, or Bloodborne games currently. So any announcement of one, let alone release of one, from them this year appears very unlikely.

I wouldn't be surprised if From reveals one of their new IPs this year though.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If it does well for Sony, I can imagine them paying them well to make some kind of soulslike action rpg for the PS4 again. But I'm thinking next year at the earliest for that. Dark Souls 3 DLC and Nioh has got this year covered.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I can do a couple of years without one because im still trying to beat freakin demon's souls :P

Nightcrawlah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Nightcrawlah

It's my favourite series of games and I sincerely hope we don't see another one for quite some time. Dark Souls 3 wrapped up the series really well, and Bloodborne did just about everything it could do with it's setting perfectly.

I'd like to see Miyazaki and From use the experience they've gained from the series and apply it to completely new projects.

Also: Sci-fi Souls is the worst idea ever.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@zevvion: Thank you for fighting the good fight.

A new bloodsouls games is not on my radar :)

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

I can see people being happy with a Demon's Souls remaster but otherwise, they need to give it a rest.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: You heathen. I hope you open a chest.

I can do a couple of years without one because im still trying to beat freakin demon's souls :P

Is it your first attempt at a Souls game? If so, I could see why you could use a few years.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yup my first souls game and im stuck at the boss after the famous bridge.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By TobbRobb

@samanthak: Did you go there immediately after the first level? It's pretty doable that way, but a neat thing with Demon's is that you can do the levels in any order, so if you get stuck on something you can go explore somewhere else and come back later. It's pretty common to do the game in a really messed up all over the place order.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@tobbrobb: I went there first and died like 6 million times and then beat the bridge finally then i found out there was no checkpoint before the boss :P

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Yup my first souls game and im stuck at the boss after the famous bridge.

You can and probably should try a different path in a Souls game when you get stuck. The games don't tell you when you're not 'supposed' to be doing something just let. They let you try and fail. It helps watching someone else play it also. Once you get the core mechanics and philosophy of that game down though... it'll be hard to play every single one and still want more.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I suck pretty hard at it but it's all about learning things i guess :)

Avatar image for themanwithnoplan
TheManWithNoPlan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

#21  Edited By TheManWithNoPlan

I don't really think we'll see another souls/bourne game anytime soon. We'll hopefully see something new (announced) from Miyazaki in the next year or so though.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: The nice thing about those games is that you eventually can tune the difficulty to how much of a challenge you want. If i can't beat a boss that kills me in 1-2 hits, i go elsewhere and come back once i can take 2 hits without dying. If one pathway gets too hard, you start a new pathway and find that it's probably easier. You gain more levels , healing items and armor, and suddenly you can beat the roadblock that you faced at the start. Some people like to beat bosses without getting hit, others rather get hit 5 times and still be able to beat them. Souls games do a good job to cater to both people IMO. But no matter how leveled you are, there will always be that threat of dying. I think that's pretty well done by those games.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I see but don't enemies and bosses scale with your level and stats?

pyrodactyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: I see but don't enemies and bosses scale with your level and stats?

no they don't

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pyrodactyl: Ok cool good to know.

btw sorry for my newbie questions.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: Is there anything in particular that makes it hard for you? It's relatively difficult for everyone, especially their very first Souls game. But once you know the core of that game it actually becomes pretty easy. You can even never level up and still wreck everyone. It's all a matter of timing and memorizing attack patterns.

SamanthaK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: Well sometimes i have a hard time reading their patterns, maybe im just bad at it though.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

sci fi souls, space ninjas and shit

cornfed40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@samanthak: It took me a long time to realize that. Hell, I even beat bloodborne, started to play Dark Souls 2 and thought to myself "wow, after all that, I STILL suck." Its still do-able, and if you're enjoying it its worth beating your head against that wall haha

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think looking at the last three years and jumping to the conclusion that they're going to put one of those games out every year makes much sense. Games take time to make. Yes, they released 3 games in a 3 year stretch, but you can't just ignore the three years prior to that stretch where they didn't put out anything.

Since Dark souls came out in 2011, they've made 3 games. I'd wager it's unlikely they'll have another one finishing development in the very near future. My guess is their upcoming projects are all in the early-mid stage of development. Maybe we'll see another stretch where projects get wrapped up in successive years, but I wouldn't expect that to start until at least 2018.

ZolRoyce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not. I'd rather see the series left on a high note.

I'm with you. I love the series, and wouldn't turn my nose up at a new one. But it feels like it ran its course for now. Wouldn't mind seeing it go to bed for a good many years. And then maybe one day it could come back when the devs are invigorated and have a nice fresh outlook on it all. For now it just feels final though. It's a good place for it.

I would take a DemonsssssSouls HDified version though. Just so I could have it off the PS3 and on the PS4.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The success of Dark Souls has allowed them to take time to take risks.

@samanthak Keep at it. My first run of a souls game (and souls... clones) are always garbage.

Ezekiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Ezekiel

I loved Demon's Souls and Dark Souls, but I'm sick of the formula now and frustrated with how crummy RPGs are and how much time you waste in endless inventories of trash loot. If they wanna make another dense interconnected open-world game, that's cool, but please don't let it be another Souls.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

hope not, try something new please, plenty of souls like games out there too for those who cant get enough.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like to see a new series of the same style from the same team, yes. Maybe make it sci-fi based.

Give us another title to tack onto "soulsborne," in other words

kblosnack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope not, the series needs a much deserved rest

burncoat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zevvion: I disagree with it being the worst, but I absolutely hate people use Souklsborne to describe the series after one game deviated. I feel like I'm taking crazy pills. It's like calling the Megaman series "MegaNo.9" because the creator made another one of those. It's like if there was another entry in the "System Shock" series called "Jupiter Jolt" and suddenly the it's now known as the "ShockJolt" series. You can't label the whole series of games after just one entry. Bloodborne is a Souls-like, Demon's Souls is not a Bloodborne-like. Even the faster-paced action and charge attacks in Dark Souls 3 doesn't make it a Bloodborne-like.

I want a new Souls-like game and I'd love for it to be sci-fi based instead of fantasy gothic. Something depressingly vast and unknowable like the BLAME! Megastructure would make a great setting. The feelings of joy I get whenever I uncover a new piece of fanart around a "What if Dark Souls was Sci-Fi" are amazing.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Armored Souls. I'd pay to see a mech praise the sun and splash Sunny D on it's face.

RonGalaxy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@zevvion: I disagree. Bloodborne is actually the best in the "series".

nnickers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nnickers

I'll join the chorus championing Bloodborne as the best in the series. Not only is the art and setting some of the best in games, but they somehow took one of the best combat systems in games and made it not just better, but significantly better.

If they put out a solid PC port of Bloodborne that would let me play at 60fps, I'd probably never want for another game from the series.

Zevvion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Zevvion

@samanthak: I doubt it. Everyone sucks. Just keep at it and try to get better and you'll get there.

@rongalaxy said:

@zevvion: I disagree. Bloodborne is actually the best in the "series".

I can understand certain arguments why people like it the best, but it's enough of a deviation from the core of a Souls game that I think it's valid to not include part of that title when describing Souls games, simply because it dilutes the description. On top of that, even if it was similar, it would still be redundant to tack it onto it.

@nnickers: I would say it's easily the worst. As soon as you start that game and have any Souls experience, you immediately mastered the combat which is a huge bummer. It is by leaps and bounds the easiest game in the series, which isn't necessarily a bad thing per se on its own, but coupled with the other issues it was for me. It's on the short side, also not necessarily bad, but coupled with the fact that it isn't very repayable it becomes a problem. It somehow has even worse PvP than Dark Souls did in terms of both connection and playouts (instantaneous near-full heals of which you are carrying upwards of 30; a single match can last half an hour) has terrible healing mechanics across the board (way too many healing items considering they work near-instantaneously, if you were to ever run out you have to grind for them) and not just discourages but removes any alternative playstyle from the game.

I should have died a lot more than I did. My first run was still under 10 deaths if I recall correctly. I never had a double death (missing the blood stain). I rarely did not beat a boss first-try. Some of them took 16 of my blood vials which is about three times as much healing as any other Souls game allows you to do, so I felt bad and it still let me pass.

In short, it's not challenging, it's short, it doesn't support build variety and replayability and it has incredibly boring and poor PvP. Having a rather unique setting is not nearly enough to water down the rest. Not to mention beyond its setting, the game doesn't look that good at all. DSIII looks a lot better and it has pretty much all those shortcomings flipped.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I remember them saying they were working on new IP with new/ different gameplay from the souls games.