#1 Edited by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

After watching the Quick Look for 3 minutes, I immediately bought it. I love these types of games. Timing based action. I'm not sure why it clicks so well for me, but I think the game is perfect. I've seen it get some criticism, and I can understand the things being said negatively about it, but they just don't seem to affect my own experience at all.

The art and contrast are fantastic. The action is really good and I love the dynamic of health in this game, where you or the boss gains their previously lost health on the current bar if the other loses theirs. I think of this game being very similar to the Ninja Gaiden/Devil May Cry/Revengeance types. Boss patterns to learn. It's more simplistic than those, since all you need is the boss patterns. Combo's are not important and even nonexistent, but it completely works within the confines of this game. On the flipside there are so many more boss patterns to learn since they keep changing repertoire with each health bar that is lost.

The soundtrack is great too and I don't even know how to explain why I think the interlude sequences are so good. They are super slow paced which I can understand annoys people, but I really, really like it. Probably because I haven't seen a game do it like this before and that bunny man makes it sound kind of intriguing. I just press A and watch it unfold like a cutscene.

I did beat most bosses on the first try, but I don't think that's saying too much. These types of games are probably my favorite type of game and have been since I played Ninja Gaiden and DMC3 every single day, back in the day. I've probably gotten experienced enough with them that I should play these games on a higher difficulty setting from the start, though that was still locked in this game. Not that it matters, I'm having the best time with it.

It's just so good. It also helps that these games just resonate with me very strongly and it came out of nowhere for me, but even though XCOM 2 and Dark Souls III lived up to any expectation I had, I'm tempted to call this my GOTY so far. I just play this game and keep saying: 'that's so cool. THAT's SO COOL!' as I play it.

Anything in particular you think doesn't work too well in the game? And anything you really like about it?

#2 Posted by SpaceInsomniac (6354 posts) -

So I take it you don't have a PS4 with a PS Plus account then? I'm hoping that's the case, and you didn't buy the PC version when you could have picked up the PS4 version for free.

Either way, thanks for reminding me to check this out.

#3 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

I enjoy the health system a lot. Even if you get down to your last half a block you can fight your way back up by just going on defense and parrying attacks. It lets you approach most of the fight at your own pace.

#4 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1955 posts) -

I think it's really really good. For a day one ps+ game I think they've knocked it out the park.

#5 Edited by Humanity (18581 posts) -

I like the idea but ultimately did not enjoy the gameplay at length. Several systems seem to work at odds with one another, like a dash that charges and has a perceptible delay. The pacing was really off for me in that you are nearly always on the defensive, waiting to be attacked, as the bosses are invulnerable to damage except for specific windows which means a lot of the game is spent waiting. A lot of the patterns can only be learned through trial and error and it was difficult for me to counter attacks that I didn't know were coming because of the nature of the counter system. Oh, so he does three hits and then a fourth hit in the 2nd phase, ok gotcha. Oh so now in the third wave he does two quick swipes near the end, well I guess I can try this section again after getting through the first three phases all over again. The long walks between arenas aren't especially fun either. I guess you need to cram the exposition somewhere in a boss-rush game but man what a lousy way to do it.

Furi is a game that I should really like, and that I want to like, but each time I go back to it I feel frustration rather than excitement. When I played games like DmC, Bayonetta or even the new Doom I felt challenged and invigorated to push forward, to play well and overcome the odds. In the case of Furi I just felt tired and usually turned the game off after a death. Even the Souls games felt somehow less tiring despite having to actually run back to the boss than going through multiple phases in Furi simply to tackle the one you're having problems with.

A lot of people express a lot of enthusiasm for this game and are gushing with praises, so I guess it's just not for me, cause I honestly just don't see it.

#6 Posted by Sdoots (502 posts) -

I wish there was a practice mode where I could set it to repeat specific attack patterns, and let me practice against them. For example, I'm golden when it comes to the more melee based encounters. When it comes time for bullet hell? I get by on the skin of my teeth, if I'm lucky, or I die and start over. I'm not super far yet, and I know it'll only get worse. Being able to go in and set up a fighting game style training mode where the AI only does one thing over and over, in this case one of their bullet hell attacks, would be incredibly helpful.

#7 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

@humanity: I found myself enjoying more once I accepted how it wanted me to play with always being primed to being attacked. I started holding the controller in such a way that I was basically always priming a dodge while having a finger over attack and another over dodge. I sort of wish there was remapping or that they didn't put everything on the face buttons because it seemes to work a lot better if you can always be priming.

#8 Posted by McHampton (154 posts) -

@jesus_phish: I mostly used the L1 button for dodging while attacking. Also played through the entire game plus the first 2 fights on Furier before realizing that you can charge the damn dodge to go further. NO WONDER THOSE GIANT LASERS WERE SO HARD TO DODGE

#9 Posted by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@jesus_phish: I mostly used the L1 button for dodging while attacking. Also played through the entire game plus the first 2 fights on Furier before realizing that you can charge the damn dodge to go further. NO WONDER THOSE GIANT LASERS WERE SO HARD TO DODGE

Also the fact that you can cut a lot of fights super short by charging up your sword slash and hitting the boss after he emits waves or something which puts you into that cinematic hit animation and takes off a large chunk of their health.

#10 Posted by OurSin_360 (6117 posts) -

I really want this game but it's like 10bux more than id be willing to pay right now. Might have even bit at 20

#11 Edited by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

@humanity: @mchampton:Didn't realize you could dodge with L1, that'll make it much easier on my hand.

I've basically been playing by constantly charging the dodge and attack so that anytime I get a chance I dodge towards the boss then let go of square and like @humanity said, stun the boss then add tonnes of damage.

#12 Posted by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@oursin_360: I played it for free on PS4 but man when I saw what they were asking for it on Steam I was a little surprised. Thats a decent chunk of change for a bunch of boss fights, but then again depending on what you enjoy mileage may vary.

#13 Posted by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

Game's style is great, unfortunately the controls don't hold up relative to DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta.

#14 Edited by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

@spaceinsomniac: Yes, I do. But I like to play games when and where I want. When 'free' is the only draw, it might as well have no draw. PS Plus has never given me value for that reason. It always offers games that I already own or don't want to play, and if it does which has happened only twice now, I still want to play it on PC so I can play it at other places as well.

@humanity to be fair, it is a counterplay game. Similar to Revengeance. Unlike that game though, it doesn't seem to have an introduction mode. It's either hilariously easy mode (as the description made it sound) or challenging. I also understand why they did that because Revengeance allowed you to get away with attacking head on on the regular difficulties. Once you crank it up to the harder ones, you pretty much have to perfect counter everything to even do a reasonable amount of damage. Attacking head on barely does any damage at that point and on top of that they usually hard-counter such attacks. In that regard, Furi most resembles the combat system in Revengeance.

I do get it's not for everyone though. That type of combat has to kind of 'click' with the player I think and while the tutorial was more than enough for me, similar to Revengeance I don't think it's good at telling the player how they are supposed to tackle problems.

@fredchuckdave I heard the control argument before. It's so weird, I'm just not sure what people are having a problem with. It works really well for me.

#15 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1955 posts) -

I don't get the dodge criticism. You tap the X button and guy dodges immediately. I just don't see what others are. Unless some folk are a little heavy handed and can't quite do quick taps, instead holding the button for a fraction of a second?

#16 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

@frodobaggins: The dodge happens on the release, not on the press. Most people are probably more used to games where the dodge is on the button press and this game doesn't do that. So while you're right that if you just tap it, you immediately dodge but if other games you've played just dodge the second you press it down, then it could take a while to readjust to this.

#17 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1955 posts) -

@jesus_phish: yeah I get that. It took me a short while into that first boss to realise.

#18 Posted by cikame (2703 posts) -

I'll play it some day, but the structure of the game, it's content and some of the iffy animation don't quite line up with its asking price, so it's on hold for now.

#19 Posted by dudeglove (13680 posts) -

Game's style is great, unfortunately the controls don't hold up relative to DMC/Ninja Gaiden/Bayonetta.

Isn't that sort of a quirk of the game? I've been reading/asking around, and their way of input is (apparently) tap and release. In other words, parries and dodges don't seem to come out well, because you expect the dodge/parry instantly on press, but the dodge/parry only comes out quickly if you press and release quickly. I agree that it sounds antithetical to the DMC/Bayo style, but I'm looking forward to playing it all the same.

#20 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

@dudeglove: It works for this game. It's much more about being defensive and only striking out when it's safe to do so. The game punishes you, though not severely, for trying to attack when you don't have an opening.

Parry happens when you press it, but you have to parry on the animation and not on the flash/ping.

Dodging works on the release, it lets you charge it up which is required for dodging some bigger projectile attacks. But you can be charging your dodge, charging a power attack and parrying all at the same time.

#21 Posted by ripelivejam (13103 posts) -

yeah i really want it for steam but cant beat free w/ps plus on ps4. pretty sure down the line when it drops in price a bit i will.

have a feeling i would have gotten it on steam otherwise, but it probably wouldnt have been hyped like this if it werent for ps plus.

#22 Edited by Fredchuckdave (10824 posts) -

@dudeglove: I'd say wait for the Steam Winter Sale for 50% off or what have you, assuming you can't play it on PS+. It's worth a go for free of course, better than most PS+ games (though Dead Star is still better this year, Helldivers is immensely better). The DMC comparisons are ill founded in general, it's basically a bullet hell game when you get down to it, the only facet of the controls that works particularly well is the parry but unless you just frame every one it's not going to be particularly rewarding. The dodge button is stiff and you don't recover immediately after a dodge so if you dodge from one thing into another you have no real way to avoid it. Charging the dodge is mostly not very important because you can dodge just about everything with the shortest distance, but said distance is often overly precise and having no invincibility at the end of the dodge makes the lack of recovery non functional. Bosses have way too much health so much so that pretty much every one feels like a slog even if you beat it on the first try, something cool like this is never going to happen in the game, even if you did have a really good phase it'd just be like "oh right still 7 more health bars to go":

Loading Video...

Sure if you played the game enough then you could probably play well every phase but even in the best case scenario you're still taking 4-5 minutes on certain bosses and that's just super super long for this kind of game. The best fight in any character action game is Vergil 3 in DMC3, that fight takes like a minute and 15 seconds. NGS bosses tend to take 20-30 seconds on average, Bayonetta fights are a bit longer but even in the case of Jubileus the game throws a shitload of interesting mechanics at you instead of just having a boring/samey looking set of patterns to follow throughout.

The game is tedious pattern recognition, if that's your thing then you'll like it, if not then you won't. It isn't adaptive skill or exponential success based on your competence as you find in other CA games or something like the Souls franchise (barely worth comparison). I would respect the game creators more if they reset the entire game upon you dying once on any boss instead of just resetting you to the boss you were on, because you'd probably get better at the game quicker and it would be a nice throwback, but instead it's just if you get stuck on a boss you're going to slog through it for 20-30 minutes (each attempt taking 10, the last phase often being the most bullet hellish). In the unlikely event that you get stuck on nothing the game is probably a little more enjoyable, but that's a rare, fortunate case and not necessarily something to be proud of.

I'm not the biggest Dark Souls 3 fan out there but when this game outperforms it on GoTY lists that's going to be pretty sad.

#23 Edited by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

@jesus_phish said:

@frodobaggins: The dodge happens on the release, not on the press. Most people are probably more used to games where the dodge is on the button press and this game doesn't do that. So while you're right that if you just tap it, you immediately dodge but if other games you've played just dodge the second you press it down, then it could take a while to readjust to this.

This final sentence, and this final sentence only. The game controls perfectly. If you wished for a different control scheme, sure. But it doesn't have poor control because you're using it wrong. I dodge instantly in this game.

I am somewhat of an elitist truthfully when it comes to these types of games though, so this just might be me being an ass.

@fredchuckdave I think you're being overly dismissive on this game's systems. Of course I'm a Dark Souls veteran, so part of that has to do with this, but I didn't need adapting to anything in DSIII at all. Not necessarily a bad thing, but DSIII is just more Dark Souls. Fresh world, fresh bosses, but you know the logic. Were you ever guessing at the timing of something in DSIII for more than 5 seconds? I bet not. It was all 'Ah, so he does that at this point, okay got it' for me.

I'm not trying to say Furi has some masterful complex systems, it is obviously a rather simple game, but it is deep. Furi has far more pattern recognition and counterplay than DSIII did for me. That is, I was busy figuring the bosses in Furi out a ton more than any DSIII boss. Again, that's not a knock against DSIII, rather a reason why I think so highly of Furi. I just think the way those bosses are structured is super good and fun.

#24 Edited by Immortal_Guy (203 posts) -

I liked everything about the game except the checkpoint system. For those who haven't played, you have 3 health bars and the boss has about 6 - each time you knock of one of the boss's, you get one of yours back and progress to the next stage of the fight. Each time the boss knocks off one of yours, you reset to the start of that stage. If you lose all three, you die.

It felt too forgiving in a lot of circumstances - I could play really badly, barely scrape through each "stage" after multiple deaths, and still beat the boss first try because I happened to make my mistakes in the right places. On the other hand, there were a few bosses where I'd sail through the main fight first time, doing really well, and then get killed 3 times quickly in the final "bullet hell hold-out" section that each boss seemed to have - cue about 10 minutes of tedious replaying to have another shot at it. I can see what they were going for with the "push-pull" healthbar system - it gives you time to learn the boss's patterns on your first attempt, and also makes outright faliure have a consequence - but it just ened up feeling really uneven.

Also, having beaten the main game without too much trouble, the "true" final boss is a circle of bullet hell I feel I will never be prepared for...

#25 Posted by Shindig (4835 posts) -

I'll give it a shot but I'm wary of the boss length. I'm not sure how tackling a boss like a test of endurance will hold my attention.

#26 Edited by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@zevvion: it's a lot more limiting than Revengeance was but then again I thought that game was pretty heavily flawed as well. I just think if you're going to build around the concept of counter attacking then it better feel really good, and for me Furi just never felt all that great. Challenging surely, but not in the way I typically enjoy like Bayonetta or DmC, but those are tough comparisons.

#27 Posted by TheBlue (1034 posts) -

I do like this game, but it wears on me very quickly. Each phase is just way too long, especially since you spend the majority of the time waiting for the boss to attack you because they dodge any attempt to attack or are invincible otherwise. A lot of people complain about Dark Souls' checkpoint system forcing you to traverse the same areas over and over if you die and while I don't feel that way about Dark Souls, I definitely feel that here. Whether it be dying to the forced bullet hell or being knocked off a cliff after a dodge goes in the opposite direction that I wanted, having to redo phases or entire bosses makes me go, "Man, come on, I already did this. I learned the pattern and did the thing."

The controls seem passable to me at least. Some erroneous dodge directions and parries I definitely hit are my only complaints. That being said, I do find myself continuously coming back to it and it is satisfying when you absolutely trounce a boss. Also, trying different things like aggressively attacking to force certain bosses out of attack animations (I'm looking at you one hit KO sniper lady) is a fun way to figure out how to speed up fights.

#28 Posted by xxizzypop (666 posts) -

@immortal_guy: The final bullet hell forms are honestly the only reason why I'm having much trouble with this game. I'm on boss... 7? And chasing her all about the area, hoping that it'll trigger the arena in a relatively short period while having no major issues with her save for this bogus pattern at the end that is IMMEDIATELY FOLLOWED BY MORE DUELING.

I was enjoying it mostly up until this point, where it felt forgiving but challenging. Now it just feels fuck-all frustrating and the difficulty can't even be adjusted unless you're dead.

#29 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

@humanity: Well yeah, but it's also not trying to imitate DMC or Bayonetta at all though. It's like saying you think Burnout is just not as good of a racing game as Forza is. Both cars, but not at all the same core gameplay.

#30 Posted by dudeglove (13680 posts) -

@fredchuckdave: it's a side matter but the third encounter with Vergil in DMC3 sure as hell did not take me a minute and 15 seconds.

But anyway, I already purchased it (yay Russian steam prices). Even with the amaze-balls OST it's still less than 25 bucks elsewhere. Toxic Avenger's music is grrrrrrreat, and so is Danger's track 6:24 (which I think is the first boss). I've not played it through yet, just watched some stuff, but they seem to be doing the thing of tying the musical phrases to sequences of the fights, which if you'll recall is an extremely Bayonetta and Revengeance thing to do (though arguably those two had a harder task, whereas Furi's seems more "scripted" and makes it easier to make the transition between song phases). It just goes to show that if Capcom or Platinum can't/won't make a CA game, someone else will (or at least try to).

#31 Posted by SensibleParty (70 posts) -

I've only just started playing but I'm seriously loving this game. I was struggling with the parries for a moment but once I figured out to parry after the flash instead of trying to time it with the animation landing my success rate improved a lot. I think a lot of this game is figuring out the rules, like what projectiles you can shoot/parry, when you can get a charged slash in etc. I don't recommend it if you consider yourself the impatient type as there's definitely some some repetition when you screw up, and you really need to get back into that calm, zen like state as soon as possible. I'd recommend it to people who like fighting and character action games (and shmups?)

Also, the music is killer. I really want to check out the sound track but I'm gonna wait until I've cleared everything. To anyone that's finished it, how long did it take you?

#32 Posted by FrodoBaggins (1955 posts) -
#33 Posted by DystopiaX (5802 posts) -

@sensibleparty:14 hours and change at the end of the game- they show you your time to clear, hits taken, and KOs after the credits roll.

#34 Posted by Humanity (18581 posts) -

@zevvion: Yah I'm saying that I like racing games but for me personally Burnout is an overall more satisfying gameplay experience than doing what I would call "dry laps" in Forza. Similarly I like third person combat games with parries and dodging, elements common to both Furi and titles such as DmC, but I simply do not enjoy the way those systems are implemented in Furi.

Not sure how this game is received overall though. Usually I feel like I'm very much an outlier for this title since most people come into these threads to literally sing the highest praises about it. You mentioning that it is your GOTY had me reeling there for a second because this year had some really stellar games. Apart from the combat which to me is a bit clunky I don't think the graphics and presentation is particularly "amazing" either. It's stylish sure but when the camera gets close up it doesn't look all that hot and some of the animations look a bit janky and stiff. It's weird because I really loved the way Killer is Dead looked and this employs a similar style. But hey, I don't want to harp on it too much, awesome that you found something that brings you that much fun - I had a few of those titles this year already as well and it's an awesome feeling to just be grinning ear to ear when playing a game.

#35 Posted by Jesus_Phish (3766 posts) -

It'd be nice if they could patch it so every time during a cut-scene the protagonists cloak and hair didn't start at 90 degree angle and drop down from there.

#36 Edited by Shindig (4835 posts) -

Gave the tutorial boss a shot. I hate this. Parrying is simple enough but deciding which set of attacks are coming and how to combat it requires a ton of trial and error. And the dash definitely has a delay which I'm not keen on. I want responsiveness from this, rather than deliberate controls. Plus it seems like the combat system is rock, paper, scissors. Bosses have specific attacks and you must tackle them in a specific way.

I don't get on with that. I don't like to micromanage to that degree. I'm not smart enough to do that.

#37 Posted by Marco724 (156 posts) -

I just beat the sniper boss which I think is maybe 7 or 8? And yea this game is really cool. I can see why some people have criticism about the games systems but I haven't had a problem getting used to any of them. So far beat all the bosses on the first try, but it's gotten really close on a few. Being down to your last chunk of health and battling back to win is fun as hell.

#38 Posted by csl316 (14946 posts) -

I like the combat design, but I wish it felt a little tighter. When a fight's going for 10 minutes, taking a big hit due to a clunky feel is beyond frustrating. Might just be me, but the dodging doesn't feel pixel perfect.

Everything else is top notch for a downloadable game, though.

#39 Posted by Zevvion (5965 posts) -

@marco724 said:

I just beat the sniper boss which I think is maybe 7 or 8? And yea this game is really cool. I can see why some people have criticism about the games systems but I haven't had a problem getting used to any of them. So far beat all the bosses on the first try, but it's gotten really close on a few. Being down to your last chunk of health and battling back to win is fun as hell.

Ugh, she is shitty. I didn't like that you had to track her down for the first three phases. Sometimes she dodged everything you throw at her and runs, and you have to catch her all over again. I didn't think that was very fun. But she's super fun compared to the epilogue boss. Ugh, that was bordering on garbage.

Other than that, all very fun bosses. I really, really, really like this game.