Thoughts on Gears of War 3?

nasher27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nasher27

So I was a big fan of the original Gears of War and Gears of War 2 back when they came out, but my 360 had red-ringed by the time Gears of War 3 came around. I will probably play Gears 4 at some point around its release (assuming its a good game), so I'm wondering what this community's thoughts on Gears of War 3 are.

Would it still hold up pretty well today? Seeing that Gears Remastered showed how poorly Gears 1 had aged, I'm wondering if this will be a concern with 3. Also, has anyone played it through the Xbox One's backwards compatibility?

Do you all think it would be worth paying the $20 they're charging for it on the store? Granted I will only be playing through the single player once. I went back and watched the trailers for the game, and man those are still some pretty good trailers, but all I really remember from the story are the giant truck things from 2, anya it's a giant worm, and that's about it.

HolyHackZack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's been years since I played it but I remember being pleasantly surprised. Combat felt more varied than the previous games. Story, while still dumb as hell, actually had some good emotional moments (stuff regarding Cole and Dom stuck with me most). Small complaint but Marcus shouting 'Dad!' repeatedly got really distracting to me. Couldn't help but think 'Does a bad ass saver of humanity still refer to his father as 'dad', and cry for him constantly?'

SMTDante89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 28

Yeah, pleasantly surprised is probably the best way I would put it too. I think it had the best story in the series so far (I can barely remember anything from 2) Game was really fun to play through co-op as well.

Darkecho117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can get a few people to play through the Gears 3 horde mode I think that's worth 20 dollars by itself. That was probably my favorite part of the game

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I prefer Gears 2 solely because I liked its Horde mode better, but Gears 3 is a hell of a game. Beast Mode is great fun too, although disappointingly brief.

FrostyRyan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily best game and story in the series

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#7  Edited By Yummylee

Gears of War 3 is fantastic on all fronts and is easily one of the best games of its generation. The original Gears of War is fantastic also and still totally holds up. All Gears games are at least good, even Judgment. Mostly.

Zippedbinders

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 14

Gears 3 is the best of the series as far as I'm concerned, it has the most varied and well developed single player mode, as well as the best horde mode options. Its also the most likeable and well written the whole cast has ever been.

I'd honestly recommend grabbing a used copy, since its only $6 or so, and there's a ton of them floating around in Gamestops and online.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

I liked it. The stuff with Dom was really great and the ending was fun too. Mostly though I enjoyed the variety in level design.

They finished the fight and thats something you just don't see that often these days.

Seinenfeld

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So as somebody who played the FUCK out of Gears 1 despite how much of a laggy mess it was and got really good at it, I still think 3 is the best one by far. Best single player, horde remained good, beast was a fun side mode, and the multiplayer was actually team-based and rifles didn't completely suck! Even as somebody who loved wall-bouncing gnasher shenanigans I felt like it was the best mp experience.

Playing the campaign co-op is still one of the most memorable gaming experiences I've ever had, so I'd highly recommend playing it that way if you're at all able to.

Oh, and it has one of the most diverse casts of a game I've played, especially when it comes to AAA stuff. What a pleasantly surprising game on so many fronts.

mercutio123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By mercutio123

It's the best one by a long way. And I love all of them. Gears 4 may be my jumping on point for the Xbox One.

Horde mode 2.0 is the best waved multiplayer in any game ever it's incredible.

kedi2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gears 3 is probably in my top 5 favorite games of last generation.

ll_Exile_ll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By ll_Exile_ll

It's the best in the series, hands down. Probably the best pure third person shooter ever made.

It takes everything that was great about the series and improves upon them, fixes most of the things that weren't great, and adds a bunch of new great things that weren't in the other games.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By The_Nubster

It's the one game in the series I personally enjoyed playing and it somehow even managed to have my then-girlfriend to go through the campaign with me of her own volition, and all she plays is Sims and mashes her way through Kingdom Hearts. So something about that game is really great, for sure.

Latinkon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Easily the best game in the original trilogy IMO. Horde is great, Beast is great, multiplayer is more than shotgun wallbouncing, and the campaign wraps up the story quite nicely. I think it's easily the best shooter of the 7th generation, and I still consider it the gold standard for third-person shooters in general.

OurSin_360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

As far as graphics and gameplay it was the best, but story wise it was mediocre and the multiplayer was pretty devisive at least with the people i know who played.

donchipotle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By donchipotle

I played a whole lot of Horde mode.

Evilsbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I just finished the backwards compatibility version on Xbox One the other night it was great I love Gears of War and its the best one by far.