11 year old college grad says Video Games are "a waste of time"

TenPoundDildo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#101  Edited By TenPoundDildo

I don't want to help humanity, well just half and it takes a lot of batteries when i do.

AutomaticSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

#102  Edited By AutomaticSnake

I never knew having fun was a waste of time... what  a dumb little kid.

FlipperDesert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#103  Edited By FlipperDesert
@TheFreeMan said:
" Uh-huh.How does learning martial arts benefit humanity?I find it hard to believe that a child apparently so intelligent didn't see that strange quality in his statement. "
Batman.

It's amazing this kid can't see a still developing medium potentially being as valid as films or music, but he may well think those are a waste of time too. The more I think about it actually, I think of this smug kid I used to know who put grades before enjoying himself and then claimed that made him a better person when he got big marks.

Seriously, fuck that kid.
Manatassi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#104  Edited By Manatassi

The interesting fact is that anyone would put any stock in the opinion of an 11 year old. Despite having clear academic abilities that are extremely impressive he is still an 11 year old. I have an 11 year old child myself and can testify that at 11 children are not capable of rationalization at particularly complex level. They normally simply parrot things that they have been told and have problems with understanding grey areas and reasonings behind moral choices. Its the norm at this stage of development and should be this way, hell most of us don't grasp these skills until we are well into adulthood properly.

The fact of the matter is that anything can be considered a waste of time if benefiting Humanity is your quantification of something that is not. I have a limited time on this planet and I choose to spend a portion of my time in appreciation of interactive entertainment. Why? Because I enjoy it.

Is this a waste of my time? Well I find that I enjoy myself and feel happy when I am doing so. Wouldn't enjoying myself be considered a useful application of my time? 

Exactly why should I dedicate my entire life only to Benefiting Humanity? If we all subscribed to this policy then we no longer have use for Painting, Music and any other kind of artistic endeavor. As how can looking at a Painting be considered time spent Benefiting Humanity? How can listening to a song be considered Benefiting Humanity? How can sitting watching the most beautiful play that was ever written be considered Benefiting Humanity?

That time you spent looking at that painting could have been spent on attempting to cure cancer! 

That time you spent watching that play could have been spent building homes for the homeless!

Thus without people to appreciate the arts we have no need to create them. 

Now what this child is really doing is expressing an idea of which forms of Artistic expression have value. Not that Video Games are a waste of time but that he (or most likely his parents) believe that they are without artistic merit. 

I happen to believe that  he (his parents) are completely wrong and that spending your life engaged in enjoying any activity is fully with merit and in-fact the very reason we should be on this planet in the first place. Yes those of us who can should spend time doing things that help others enjoy life, as we help others we help ourselves and create a world where if we need help we have the right to ask for and expect to receive.

It is an immature thought to expect that all activities should have more than the simple consequence of making someone feel happy. 

But then do we really expect to get more than an underdeveloped childlike view of the world from...  well, a child?

Find your own values in life and spend time doing the things you enjoy, if that is starting forum threads on the opinions of children then I guess you have interests that lie in different areas to my own. 

Possibly because I get to hear 11 year old opinions on a constant basis, try taking a long car trip with the kids in the back.  :D

DCFGS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#105  Edited By DCFGS3

Well, he can tell that to the hundreds of paraplegics and other disabled persons keeping themselves sane by playing Second life, also to the numerous psychological and anthropological studies carried out in Second Life. Also gaming is the driving force behind many forms of technology (Virtual reality and Human-to-Technology Interfacing). He should probably also mention that to the soldiers who are overcoming PTSD by using (ironically) a reconstruction in virtual format of Iraq to gradually overcome PTSD and normalise their reactions to day to day living.

Also, eat shit kid.

MrPerfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By MrPerfect

The parents probably raised him not to like video games that much.

NukeGoBoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By NukeGoBoom

I am not gonna take advice from a kid that couldnt even figure out how to be a kid.

If this kid wants to revolutionise the world in his life then sure.But inventing things improves comfort in life.So you have more chances to enjoy it.And this kid just doesnt want to enjoy life.

zungerman090

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By zungerman090

Community college, liberal arts, 11 years old… What is next? 29 years of virginity and living at home with your parents, that is what next

freakin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By freakin

dollars to donuts, I could beat up this kid and I have no martial arts training.   And yes it would be one of the proudest moments of my life to beat up a little kid.

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#110  Edited By WilliamRLBaker

Wait a minute! hes a child prodigy but he only went to community college? not good enough to get into harvard or yale then?

WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By WilliamRLBaker
@PeasForFees said:
"
@JeffGoldblum said:
"
@PeasForFees said:
"
@Sincillian said:
" Well to somewhat disprove that shitheads statement..

1. From playing videogames I have learned how to talk fluently
  2. Have way better hand eye coordination 
  3. I've learned many different types of guns
  4. I've also learned how to protect myself in the event a zombie apocolypse happens
  5. My thoughts are complicated
  6. and I've learned....
  7. duh boobs teh big. Thanks Video Games. 
Seriously though I've gotten way smarter from playing different games.

"
1. Were your parents mute, to not be able to teach you to speak?2. Fair enough, sports are better for that though, doen't not make you smarter.3. A bit sad that you would class that as intelligence4. The Onion video was great for that, (" My son has learnt from playing fallout 3 that its easier to kill a zombie with a grenade than a machine gun.")5. What?6. Not a point7. Correction, you mean JapaneseYou seem to have learnt more common sense that intelligent things "
He was kidding, dumb shit. By the way learned is the proper past tense of learn not learnt. "
No I was correct, If it is proper English

Learnt vs Learned

These are alternative forms of the past tense and past participle of the verb learn. Learnt is more common in British English, and learned in American English. There are a number of verbs of this type (burn, dream, kneel, lean, leap, spell, spill, spoil etc.). They are all irregular verbs, and this is a part of their irregularity. Who's the "Dumb Shit" now "

actually your worng, since this is america and we use learned not learnt.
Bigandtasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#112  Edited By Bigandtasty

They are a waste of time, but a lot of things are - he probably just doesn't understand what he's saying yet. 

I would die if I had pushy parents like that.
ahoodedfigure

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 64

#113  Edited By ahoodedfigure

It would help if I knew why you were bringing it to our attention.

I think it's great if he's able to keep up his workload, but I'm pretty sure he doesn't slaughter his own meat or grow his own food.  So there's still a bunch of people around him who work hard to help him and other people like him stay alive while they do their work.

Also, I've heard other people knock gaming as niche entertainment, but really, there are benefits.  One gains emotional well being through the sense of accomplishment, their mind expands by exploring new worlds, their reflexes get a bit of a workout, their expression (greatly increases (ha!)) through construction kits, their brains grow through the puzzles.  It depends on the game, but entertainment has never just been about wasting time.

If he has no use for it, that's great, and he's right about it not pushing humanity forward in any broad-spectrum way, but it does help individuals, which I still think is significant.  It sounds like the kid's plate is full anyway, so I don't blame him for not even picking up a controller. 

Also, since the kid's 11, he's barely outside of the black-and-white thinking curve humans go through as they develop.  As he develops more nuanced degrees of thought, as most of us do when we grow, he might change his mind.  If he doesn't, it doesn't really bother me a whole lot! :)  I just hope the kid doesn't have a burnout.  A lot of the fully realized geniuses of our time get too much stuff piled on them, and they wind up buckling under the pressure or having it wreck other aspects of development. 

If anything, your post makes me feel sorry for the kid.

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#114  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

He thinks he's being so clever saying that, but really, he is stating the obvious. Yeah video games are a waste of time, but so is everything in life. Really, life is just wasting time before death. Life is a waste of time.

ChildMLester

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ChildMLester

looks like this little kid needs to come over to my house for a spanking

Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#116  Edited By Willy105

I admire that kid, and I agree. Games are not helping humanity, and neither is TV, music, radio.....

floodiastus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#117  Edited By floodiastus

So, is martial arts helping humanity?

Also, a waste of time is a wierd thing to say. Like there is meaning to anything in life more than just living.... that 11 year old needs some acid.
sweep

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 14

#118  Edited By sweep  Moderator

SOMEONE, SOMEWHERE, SAYS SOMETHING I DON'T AGREE WITH!!

Call the ghostbusters.
OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119  Edited By OhdK
@chrissedoff: and you're not rationalizing not graduating college at age 11
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By crunchUK

pfft i'd rather spend my childhood playing goldeneye than going to college any day

dvorak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By dvorak

And nobody will give him serious consideration of employment, or admission to actual university, until he's at least 15-16. I think if anything this is only a testament to the quality of our state-run schools and colleges, that an 11 year old kid can get a degree. That kid must have some messed up parents for letting him throw his childhood away for a waste of time like this.

MiasmaFett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By MiasmaFett

Would love to see the kids parents i bet that they control every aspect of his life

pisk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#123  Edited By pisk

We'll get this duder on our side with project Natal.

subject2change

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#124  Edited By subject2change

Because they are? Doesn't mean they aren't fun or a way to kill the time. Plenty of people waste time with many various hobbies, so who cares. Kid is 11 with no social experience in their life. He can cure cancer, and i'll prepare for the zombie apocalypse.

Callumrides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Callumrides

as i say each to there own opinion but its not gonna stop me playing games

oDawg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By oDawg

Save humanity? Community college? Sounds like he'll be saving the world over in Iraq in no time!!! lol.

Snipzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By Snipzor

Below is the total contribution amount for the charity of Child's Play, a charity in which people donate money but also games and consoles to be allocated to children's hospitals around the world. Nuff' said.

No Caption Provided
Donate, DO IT NOW!

Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#128  Edited By Icemael

"Time you enjoy wasting is not wasted"

cc23574

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By cc23574

I learned more from playing games than I learned from school. Heck, it even teached me how to speak english!

chrissedoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By chrissedoff
@OhdK said:
" @chrissedoff: and you're not rationalizing not graduating college at age 11 "
absolutely not. would you want to graduate college at age 11? even if you had the opportunity to do it?
angelkanarias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By angelkanarias

11 year old fool. so we shouldn't go bowling either, it doesn't help humanity. and any form of entertainment should be substituded by hard work.

Zarile3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Zarile3
@francesthemule:

hahaha...that made me laugh...now all my co workers are staring at me.
Pantalooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By Pantalooney

I bet this kid also think a girlfriend is a waste of time  and everything else other than education.

luce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#134  Edited By luce
@Pantalooney said:
" I bet this kid also think a girlfriend is a waste of time  and everything else other than education. "
girls=babies=helping humanity..how is that a waste of time?

also, most forms of entertainment builds character which this kid seriously lacks

luckily he has the rest of his life to realize that
Avatar image for dragoonkain1687
DragoonKain1687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By DragoonKain1687
@Video_Game_King said:
"
@Al3xand3r said:
" Not taking advice from a  kid who doesn't know how to be a kid. How does karate and scuba diving help humanity again? "
You can fight aquaninjas, duh! "
Or defend from a future attack from Dolphins
torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By torus
@DarkGamerOO7: And the guy in that show is supposed to be from Caltech, not East LA community college.
keyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By keyhunter

What a suprise! An overachieving chinese kid with no life. I'll bet he badly practices playing the piano with the windows open so I can hear it when I'm outside, and takes part in a bunch of stupid clubs, and takes business courses. The jokes on him.

torus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By torus

He's not Chinese; with a name like Moshe, he's probably Jewish. Similar parental philosophies though.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#140  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

Fair enough, the child is entitled to his own opinion.

TheJollyRajah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#141  Edited By TheJollyRajah

The kid may have graduated college but that doesn't mean his brain is fully developed and capable of making logical opinions.

I believe that almost any kid can pass college if their parents shoved books up his ass 24/7. 
OhdK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By OhdK
@chrissedoff: who says i didn't? :D
crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#143  Edited By crunchUK

@WilliamRLBaker said:
actually your worng, since this is america and we use learned not learnt. "
It's the internet not america actually so you fail....

Speaking of internet, 143 posts on what you think of some 11 year old thinks about your hobby. LOL!
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#144  Edited By MKHavoc

Why does anyone even care?  There are lots of people that share his opinion.  There are also lots of things out there that don't help humanity in anyway.  I don't see that as a good reason to call anything a waste of time.  I wonder what this kid does for fun.

Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Systech
@MKHavoc said:
"I wonder what this kid does for fun. "
Play video games.
Icemael

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 20

#146  Edited By Icemael
@MKHavoc said:
"I wonder what this kid does for fun. "
Having fun is a waste of time, so this kid doesn't do it.
Eurobum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Keyser_Soze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By Keyser_Soze

The kid will realise that true wisdom comes from keeping your mouth shut.

Jimbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#149  Edited By Jimbo
The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time.  He'll learn to appreciate that when he's 17 and totally burnt out having a nervous breakdown.
SmugDarkLoser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By SmugDarkLoser