2/3rds through year - your favourite 2014 games so far?

• 126 results
PimblyCharles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#101  Edited By PimblyCharles

@armaan8014: What a fantastic write up of the game! Thank you. Just bought it and am playing it for my next game. Super excited to explore the world and interact with all the NPCs; it looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully the combat is challenging too.

Guesty_01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've finished more than 20 games so far this year, but only 1 has been from 2014. Dark Souls 2.

Avatar image for colonel_pockets
Colonel_Pockets

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 46

1. Titanfall

2. Wolfenstein

3. Watch Dogs

4. MGS V: Ground Zeroes

5. Super Time Force

ElmerGlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By ElmerGlue
  1. Dark Souls II
  2. Shovel Knight
  3. South Park Stick of Truth
  4. Diablo 3: Reaper of souls
  5. Metal Gear Solid: Ground Zeroes

BabyChooChoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

#105  Edited By BabyChooChoo

In no particular order:

• Smite
  • Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD (PRAISE BE TO YEVON, MUTHAFUCKAS)
  • Super Time Force
  • DOA5 Ultimate (they're still puttin out characters so I'm still counting it as a 2014 game because fuck it)

I keep going back and forth about Project Spark. As far as world builders go, I think it has a ton of potential. However, it just feels lackluster in terms of content you can play around with.

armaan8014

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 17

@armaan8014: What a fantastic write up of the game! Thank you. Just bought it and am playing it for my next game. Super excited to explore the world and interact with all the NPCs; it looks like a lot of fun. Hopefully the combat is challenging too.

Glad you liked it :D

Hope you have a lot of fun with the game. Let me know how it goes! :)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#107  Edited By geirr

Including only games I liked enough to finish, it comes down to Last of Us Remastered, PT and several completions of Dark Souls 2 on PC.

Games like Jazzpunk, Transistor and Valiant Hearts I liked but still haven't found the time/mood to play them properly.

Zirilius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Avatar image for giantlizardking
GiantLizardKing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Uhh...Titan Fall, I guess? This has been my backlog year.

Dokaka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Dokaka

Wolfenstein was amazing. It was like eating a great steak after eating microwaved meals for years; I'd completely forgotten how fantastic first person shooters can be if they don't follow the old, out-played "modern military" trope.

By far the best experience this year for me in gaming. The story, while simple and fairly predictable, was also pretty good and actually had some emotional impact!

Tennmuerti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#111  Edited By Tennmuerti

Hmm, there is still some heavy hitters yet to come. So far the only real standout for me has been the Shadowrun Returns: Dragonfall campaign. Tho there has been some really good stuff, just nothing else that completely captured me. Wolfenstein, Dark Souls 2, South Park, Divinity, Hearthstone, Banner Saga, Broken Age, Might and Magic X.

Oh one thing: Endless Legend, is a goddamn fucking phenomenal 4X civ type game, it's still early access, supposed to come out this month. Even in it's unfinished state i've already sunk many many hours into it. The races have very very pronounced differences, making game play quite varied. It looks great. You can play out your combat and it does so using the over world map terrain. I highly recommend, as I enjoyed it more as broken and as influx as the early access stuff is even with barely functional AI much more the the full priced release of day Age of Wonders 3.

Pabba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

Unfortunately, I've only actually played a small handful of games released in 2014, and they are Transistor and the latest season of Telltale's The Walking Dead. I guess between those two I'd say Transistor is more enjoyable, but I also just replayed Suikoden, and that JRPG is fantastic, so that's my GOTY for the moment.

coaxmetal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#113  Edited By coaxmetal

Hmm....

Probably something like

1. Dark Souls 2

2. The Fall

3. Divinity Original Sin

4. Wolfenstein

5. Transistor

maybe the order isn't exactly like that. I'm probably also forgetting stuff.

e: as to what im anticipating, I'm really looking forward to Bayonetta 2, Pillars Of Eternity, and Elite: Dangerous (I have the beta but im not including it since it isn't out yet).

mechakirby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -2

#114  Edited By mechakirby

Octodad - So silly and hilarious and surprisingly really heartfelt story. Big hit with my non-gaming friends
MLB 14 The Show - Its a sports game whatever, but the RTTS mode gives me endless entertainment. This is a game I play forever
Metal Gear Solid 5: Ground Zeroes - The main mission is short but because the gameplay was so much fun, I found a lot of replayability in the other missions and trophy hunting and such
Sportsfriends - I don't have 4 DS4's yet so I haven't had a chance to play the other games, but I have 4 Move controllers and Joust was a HUGE hit this Summer in my backyard. It's the ultimate party game

Marcsman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

inFamous Second Son

Child of Light

Diablo III UEE

Destiny Beta

inFamous First Light

buemba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. The Banner Saga
  2. Abyss Odyssey
  3. Super Time Force Ultra

Not an especially memorable year for gaming so far for me.

zenmastah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Stick of Truth

2. New Order

3. Child of Light

4. Jazzpunk

5. Watch_Dogs

what i didnt like

Thief..holy shit what a complete clusterfuck.

Murdered:SS..got soooo bored after the first hour i have yet to finish it.

All on PC

Tom_omb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#118  Edited By Tom_omb

I haven't played many games released this year. The stand outs are Jazzpunk, Shovel Knight and Valiant hearts. Honorable mentions to The Wolf Among us and The Walking Dead. If Broken Age was complete I'd probably add it to that list too.

I was looking forward to South Park, but after not picking it up at release it fell of my radar. I'll keep an eye out for that one next Steam sale.

Here is what I did play:

• Valiant Hearts: The Great War
  • Shovel Knight
  • Jazzpunk
  • Broken Age Act 1
  • Octodad: Dadliest Catch
  • The Wolf Among Us
  • The Walking Dead: Season Two
  • Hearthstone: Heroes of Warcraft
  • Child of Light
  • Transistor
  • Mario Kart 8
  • Wildstar

Games releasing later this year that I'm looking forward to include Warlords of Draenor, Dragon Age: Inquisition, Far Cry 4 and Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

1. Divinity: Original Sin/Dark Souls 2 (both are just so good in there own way, that right now I really can't say which one's my actual favorite)
2. South Park: Stick of Truth
3. Super Time Force
4. Tales of Xillia 2
5. Broken Age

spankingaddict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 12

#120  Edited By spankingaddict

The wolf among us . Twd season two . Transistor . Infamous second son . Child of light / wolfenstein. . Top 5

Raven10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 5

This thread has made me realize that I've only played one game that came out this year. Child of Light. So right now that wins by default, although I can't say I would wholly recommend it. Looking at other people's lists, Wolfenstein, Divinity, Transistor and Trials Fusion all seem worth trying. Yup that pretty much covers it right now. I want to try out the new Dragon Age when it comes out and that is about the extent of my gaming desires at this point.

TobbRobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#122  Edited By TobbRobb
  • Dark Souls 2 I suppose.
  • Replaying MGR on PC was nice as well.
  • Drakengard 3 is garbage, but I'm still enjoying it well enough.
  • Diablo 3 being fixed is alright.
  • Uuuuuuuuuhm. Man I've not been especially hyped on any games this year. Still have a couple to get to though, things could change. Maybe. Probably not.
  • EDIT: Looked at a list of releases, so not from the top of my head anymore.
  • Miku Diva F on Vita was a lot of fun.
  • Goat Simulator
  • Ultra Street Fighter 4? Though honestly I was working on getting into the game even if that didn't get released
  • Yet to play Shovel Knight, Transistor, Xillia 2, Divinity and Disgaea 4. But Any of those could be a favorite for the year. Persona 4 Arena, Diva F 2, Massive Chalice and Shadows of Mordor are coming out later as well.
  • A lot of sequels and the same old thing that I know I like. But nothing new or exciting this year. I've just kind of been playing the same old stuff all year. SFIV is the best change of pace for sure, but I could have done that at any moment since 2009.
azrailx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

1. Last of Us remastered

2...∞. Stuff

Zleunamme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

The only newest game I have played this year is MGS V: Ground Zeroes. A majority of the games I have played up to now are the free ones on Playstation Plus. Borderlands 2, Remember Me, Brothers, NBA 2K14, Ico, and Sly Copper: Thieves in time. I got the Final Fantasy X & X-2 HD remastered version. Came to the realization that I have already beaten those games twice ten years ago and stopped playing. I will get back to that one. Then I bought the GotY edition of Skyrim and collectors edition of Killer is Dead on sale.

The games people have mentioned before have cool art styles but for some reason I was not interested in playing them. I never play games on my Mac book. Not many games coming out this fall that I am excited about. I'm curious how Alien: Isolation turns out. 2014 will be the year I get to finish my backlog of games.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#125  Edited By Bones8677

None, it's been kind of a shit year thus far.

amp_1986

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really haven't played that many new games this year so I'd probably say my top 5 is:

1. South Park: The Stick of Truth
  2. The Last of Us Left Behind
  3. The Walking Dead Season 2
  4. Infamous Second Son
  5. Watch Dogs

Not a particularly impressive list given that I agreed with most of what Jeff had to say about Watch Dogs yet it's still in my top 5.

sparky_buzzsaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 42

I keep hashing out Wolf Among Us versus Walking Dead Season 2 in my head and I still can't come up with a winner. I think Wolf Among Us will end up higher on my list if just because it's a new IP. But right now, it's a tie between those two.

Most of the best games I've played aren't actually from 2014. Some are, I guess, but here's a list of the best of the rest, in no particular order:

• Rogue Legacy - Despite sinking tons of time into this game on the PC, I didn't really fall in love with it until I played it on the PS3. The controls are so much tighter when you're not using a keyboard and mouse.
  • Devil May Cry - This probably would have wound up being a contender for my GOTY if it wasn't for the eye-rolling death metal soundtrack. As it stands, the art direction is outstanding and the gameplay is really, really fun.
  • Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds - I really need to finish this sooner or later, and the fact that I haven't kind of depresses me in a funny little way. Because I should want to finish a Zelda game. I should want to see the credits roll, to explore every nook and cranny. But this feels too safe. It feels like Nintendo turtled up and shot something out that they knew would make money. It's still a great game, maybe even amazing. But it relies too heavily on its predecessors' laurels to really get away with being the best game I've played all year.
  • Bravely Default - It's a bit weird to go from ripping on a game for its nostalgic feel to praising one for it, but Bravely Default is exactly the sort of gameplay I want to see out of some experimental Square titles. It's too bad the latter half of the game is such a slog, but there's a great foundation here for something better.
  • Arkham Origins - It's more Batman. I get the complaints, and believe me, I think it's just stupid pushing out iterations that don't even bother getting rid of the very specific set pieces created by their predecessors. But it's still a remarkably fun game with a big, dumb, fun plot.
  • LEGO Marvel - I'm a giant manchild. Shaddup.
  • Tales of Graces f/Tales of Xillia 2 - Xillia 2 is a slow burn, but the main story is as solid as its predecessor and, by the end, I found myself having loads of fun with it. Graces's characters lack the charm of Xillia and its plot is just... ugh. If you could combine Grace's awesome title system with Xillia's better plot and eliminate the backtracking from both, you'd have a great game. As it stands, both are fun fillers while we wait on better entries in the series.
  • Primordia - It's a simple point-and-clicker with a lot of heart. That's good enough for me.
  • WWE Supercard/Trials Frontier - These are the best iPad games I've played this year.
  • SteamWorld Dig - If the last boss fight hadn't soured me on the endgame, this could have been something special. As it stands, it's a fun little diversion worth a few bucks to check out.
  • Banished is a remarkable achievement in that it's a very professional game developed by one person - and it manages to be one of the best city-builders in years. This will no doubt wind up high on my GOTY list, and will likely be the one game on this list I'm most likely to revisit in the coming years.
  • Special mentions go to Final Fantasy X HD, Final Fantasy Tactics on the iPad, and Final Fantasy IX for being the best "already played" games I revisited this year. After fourteen years, I finally saw the credits roll on Final Fantasy IX, a really special treat for an old lover of JRPGs. Final Fantasy X is probably the high point of the series for me on a technical level, though those mini-games have not aged well at all. And Tactics is still just as amazing as ever. I really enjoyed the hell out of the iPad version thanks to the highly adjustable camera angles.