2015 Game of the Year (JasonR86)

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 5

Edited By JasonR86

Hey guys, so I've made a GOTY list, checked it twice (hah...) and am posting it here on the forums for those that are so inclined to read it. Keep in mind that my PC is very old and I can't play most modern games on it so that rules out a lot of games. I also don't own a Wii U or an Xbox One. So my games were limited to mobile and PS4 with one exception on the PC. Also keep in mind that I work a lot of hours and so my time dedicated to games is split between work and everything else I do. So where I am in my life has impacted what types of games I play. Also, I've played games for a long, long time and so I'm at a point now with the hobby where I tend to put a premium on novelty and uniqueness over mechanics. I'm also a sucker for atmosphere and tone, always have been, and I've always liked games, and movies and music, that try something interesting even if it doesn't always work. All that said, lets start with the my disappointments before I go into the actual list.

Disappointments of the Year:

Witcher 3

No Caption Provided

I beat all of this game on the PS4 and boy did it take a lot of effort. On the PS4 it is just such a technical mess. The framerate was rarely good for me (30 fps) and was often poor (sub 25 fps). I had audio glitches, animation glitches, scripting glitches. I didn't much care for the main story and the side stories were only occasionally intriguing enough to see through. I didn't really like any of the characters, I thought the art design was boring, and the combat was a slog. In hindsight, I'm not particularly sure why I stayed with it. I'm happy I played it just so I could have an opinion on it but I can't recommend it. Especially on consoles.

Everybody's Gone to the Rapture

No Caption Provided

I really, really like Dear Esther. The year it came out it was my #4 game of the year. I thought the presentation was phenomenal, the narrative was great and spoke to me on a personal level and it was fun to explore the environments. Everybody's Gone to the Rapture should be a perfect game for me, then, all things considered. I love atmosphere, I love new experiences and I loved the developer's past work that is most similar to this game. But this game was just boring. It's been said a million times but the movement was far too slow, even with the "run" button, and especially considering the size of the environment. Then the environment is rarely worth exploring. Unlike Dear Esther, rarely does exploring yield more narrative. But even when it does the narrative itself was mostly based around the day to day drama of characters I didn't really know, regarding topics I didn't care about, and so the drama was lost on me. Which is all a shame because the game looks great, minus the inconsistent framerate, the music is beautiful and the voice acting is really well done. It was just a boring, forgettable game that I had really high hopes for.

2015 GOTY

10: Ether One

No Caption Provided

Yes, this came out in 2014. But it was released on the PS4 in 2015. And it's my list and I'll do whatever I want with it. So Ether One is on it! Ether One, like Dear Esther and Gone Home, largely hangs its hat on the tone, atmosphere and the player's desire to explore the environment. Which is right up my alley. Though, the game does have some pretty well designed puzzles and secrets all over the place what I liked most was the atmosphere and the narrative. The game tells the story of a character exploring and repairing the mind of a client with dementia, via a computer simulation, in hopes that by repairing memories the client with dementia will recover. I won't give it away, but the story itself unfolds as more and more of this client's mind is explored eventually culminating in a fantastic conclusion.

9: MGS V

No Caption Provided

If I had more time to dedicate to it, this game would probably be higher on my list. But, honestly, I had the same amount of time when I played 40 hours of Bloodborne so maybe that's just a lame excuse. I really like MGS V. It plays really, really well and when everything goes according to plan it's really fun. Even when nothing goes to plan it's fun improvising. I just didn't spend enough time with it to fall in love with it. I think it was because, though a game like Bloodborne can be stressful to a lot of people, I've been playing From Software games since the King's Field games on the first Playstation. So I understand the flow of those games and don't feel the same anxiety other people might. But I feel that anxiety and stress with MGS V. Yes, I can improvise when things go terrible but sometimes, like after a long day of work or during my limited free time during the weekends, I just don't want to. That said, MGS V is a fantastic game.

8: Broken Age

No Caption Provided

Broken Age is pleasant. I mentioned the long work days a lots of stress earlier, right? Broken Age is one of those games where you can just wrap yourself up in it and all that stress just goes away. It looks amazing, the music and sound design is delightful and it tells a nice little story. This was my 'relax' drug of choice for a while. So that alone puts it on my list. It's also a really good adventure game which is a genre I haven't played in a long time.

7: Fallout 4

No Caption Provided

I really liked Morrowind. And then I really liked Oblivion. Then I really liked Fallout 3. Then I liked New Vegas a little less. Then I really liked Skyrim for like 40 hours but by hour 90 the love had dissipated. And now I like Fallout 4...but, guys, this design isn't quite what it used to be, is it? I mean it's good. But it's exactly the same. Well, there are differences but I don't really care about those differences. Yeah, you can build settlements but, you know, who cares. Yeah, the shooting is better but it's only gone from poor to average. Yeah VATS doesn't freeze time but, you know, whatever. I'm playing this on the PS4 and it's pretty ugly, the framerate is impacted for seemingly nonexistent reasons considering how pretty shitty the game looks, the voice acting is ok and the main story is fine. I do like this game. I do. I swear. But this is kind of it for me and Bethesda open world games if the next Elder Scrolls and Fallout are just as sloppy and just as similar as this game is to its predecessors.

6: You Must Build a Boat

No Caption Provided

I drive a lot for my job and when I get to my destinations I do a lot of waiting. And while I wait I mess around with mobile games. Like 10 Million before it, You Must Build a Boat was my go to mobile game for a long time. It's just an addicting game. It's not as novel as 10 Million was but it doesn't really need to be. It's fun, it's engaging and I played the hell out of it.

5: Talos Principle

No Caption Provided

Another 2014 game I played when it was rereleased in 2015 on the PS4. This is a great puzzle game with a really, really cool narrative. Without getting into spoiler territory I left this game questioning how I would have felt had I been Adam in the Garden of Eden and coming to the conclusion that I would have probably had been miserable. I also had deep thoughts on the nature of consciousness, humanity, and the value, or lack thereof, of free will and choice. Oh yeah, it's also a really cool puzzle game.

4: Until Dawn

No Caption Provided

This game was fun. Even when things went terribly it was a ton of fun. Yeah, the writing is really dumb and the main story has a million problems and the gameplay isn't very mechanically interesting. But whatever. This game is fun.

3: Her Story

No Caption Provided

My one PC game! I first heard about this game, probably like a lot of you, through this site and thought I'd give it a shot. So I woke up one Saturday morning, made and ate my breakfast, made a pot of coffee and sat down to try out Her Story. Six hours later I had played the ever loving shit out of this game, was wrapping my brain around the story, and going to Youtube to look up Jody Arias police interviews. The next day I watched the full, chronologically correct and uncut video of each interview on Youtube dying to see what videos I had missed and if my conclusion of the story was correct. What a great, great game.

2: Bloodborne

No Caption Provided

My favorite game on the Playstation was King's Field II. The three Souls games last generation were some of my favorite games on those consoles and Bloodborne is one of my favorite PS4 games all for the same reasons: atmosphere and the lack of hand holding. I love atmosphere and exploring in games because it allows me to feel fully wrapped up in a game's world. When a game doesn't hold the player's hand it encourages that exploration and experimentation which makes me as the player feel like a living part of that world. Just like the character, I don't know when I play these games what to expect next in the game I just have to explore and discover on my own. All of the From games I've played have excelled at this and Bloodborne is no exception. Plus, the gameplay loop of explore, grind for experience, become more technically sound with the mechanics and beat a boss is really satisfying. Bloodborne isn't as good as the other Souls games to me because of the lack of loot and the simplified level progression but it is still a ton of fun.

1: Life is Strange

No Caption Provided

Sort of like when the first season of Telltale's Walking Dead first came out, I eagerly anticipated every episode of Life is Strange. I thought the premise was awesome, the characters grew on me, the choices were surprising and, for lack of a better word, ballsy and the story stuck the landing for me at the end. But what makes this game stand out is that is has a ton of moxie. Yeah, there are some technical issues and some of the writing can be a little rough but my God is it a charming thing. Of the games I played this year, this was the game I look back at the most fondly. It was the most memorable and was the most fun I had with a game this year. So it easily takes my GOTY.

Honorable Mentions: Tales of Zysteria, Project Cars, Dying Light, Rocket League

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By DarthOrange

Very informative. Great commentary.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By DarthOrange
DarthOrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I still need to get around to playing Broken Age. I downloaded it but then remembered that I have never actually enjoyed the gameplay of a Double Fine game.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@darthorange:

Well, Broken Age is a straight up adventure game. So if you've liked the gameplay of point and click adventure games of the past you'll like the gameplay of Broken Age. Though the puzzles in part two got really obtuse and way less fun. Still good, but I could see part two being a stumbling block for people.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

Wait, this is 4 months old? Was there nothing else coming out in the year that you definitely wanted to play? A fine list regardless, especially with the inclusion of Bloodborne. That'll be ranking pretty high on my own list, and my GOTY also happens to be a modern 'interactive story' style of adventure game, too! Being Tales from The Borderlands.

kasaioni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Glad to see You Must Build a Boat is one someone's list. It's definitely on mine if I end up making one.

Avatar image for deactivated-630479c20dfaa
deactivated-630479c20dfaa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cool, my goty is Witcher 3 hands down, but hey different strokes.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@yummylee:

I made this blog a WIP GOTY list 4 months ago and kept updating it as I played more games. I just didn't publish it to the main forums till now. Or finalize the order or write my descriptions.

Thanks all for reading.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I closed my eyes as I scrolled past number one to type this.

Jason, I loved the Witcher 3 but barely got 20 hours in. I want to spread the greatness of that game over several years Did you really play 50 hours of a game you don't even like just to write that paragraph and spite fans?

Regardless, very informative. Decent commentary.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316:

I played 20 hours expecting it to get better. By hour 30 I couldn't not finish it despite my issues with it, right? By hour 50-something-or-another I just wanted the game to be over.

AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're such a hipster Jason.

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Everytime you see Life is Strange on someones GOTY-List, it means that some angel's just got his wings.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Any time someone doesn't love Witcher 3 someone has to try to read too much into it, huh?

Good list and descriptions as to your choices. It's a shame Talos Principle fell in the dreaded mid-December release timeframe last year so it wasn't covered by a lot of outlets during GotY stuff. I too was confused as to why it was four months old at first.

Enigma777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Dumb list

Sterling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I some how missed Ether One on PS4. Was it a PS+ game? I may have to check that out if it was. I tend to save them all to my library and then not play most of them. Same with Broken Age. Also nice to see someone else put Her Story in a top 5 position.

Sessh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

Like the list (aside from The Witcher 3 part). You've also reminded me that I still need to play the Talos Principle.

Since you said the story of Life is Strange stuck it's landing for you, I'm really curious what choice you went with? To make this only somewhat spoiler-y. Needs of the one or many?

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

JayPB08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

just a brief nit-picking heads up - there is no game named "Like Is Strange"...other than that typo, I like seeing Her Story popping up fairly high; hopefully it breaks GB's final top 10.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I have played a grand total of one game on that list but it just so happens to be Life is Strange which is also my game of the year, by far.

Milkman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

Was pretty much in a blind rage after you lead off with Witcher 3 as most disappointing and in my fury, I was able to see that you gave Life Is Strange the number 1 spot so I guess you're okay.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

@milkman said:

Was pretty much in a blind rage after you lead off with Witcher 3 as most disappointing and in my fury, I was able to see that you gave Life Is Strange the number 1 spot so I guess you're okay.

I wasn't in a blind fury but I did instantly think "man typical hipster @jasonr86 move right there" but the Life is Strange at #1 redeemed him.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: I figured making Life is Strange number 1 would be the most hipster-ish thing I could have done.

@milkman said:

I was probably expecting too much. But, I'll steal a Dan line and say that all 10 of the games on my list are objectively better than Witcher 3.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#26  Edited By Humanity

@jasonr86: I get that you're joking but actually if we look at it objectively then from a pure standpoint of awarding points for graphics, game length, value proposition etc.. the Witcher 3 would actually score higher than many of those other games.

OF course in reality it's whatever floats your boat man!

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Hearing so many good things about Life is Strange is just making me more antsy and excited to play through the whole thing when the physical release comes out early next year.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

Hooray! Another Life is Strange fan! It's definitely not a perfect game, but I loved every minute of it. I also agree with your Witcher 3 pick for disappointment of the year. I'm still looking to try Just Cause 3 and Rainbow Six Siege before I finish my list, but I hope to have mine up soon. Cool stuff!

P.S. Oh and I have to play Until Dawn. I wish I didn't have to dust off, and take out my PS4 for this though. Oh well.

LawGamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So you have Witcher 3 as a big disappointment because of its technical performance, but then you have Fallout 4 at number 7?

You take that back! You take that back right now!

All hyperbole aside, I all honesty I think that because I didn't suffer a single technical hiccup on over 100 hours of playing Witcher 3 beyond the occasional framerate dip to maybe 25 fps or so in some of the swamps. Fallout 4 on the other hand has been nothing but a disaster on my end with a half-dozen hard crashes, single-digit framerates in the middle of Boston and random teleports that kill my character.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#30  Edited By Giantstalker

Yeah, as someone who got Witcher 3 on PC it seems like we were playing entirely different games there. Sucks that experiencing such a great title was sabotaged by the technical issues of a bad console port!

I can associate with Fallout 4 though, game's broke as hell for me even on PC

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: Don't overhype yourself on Life is Strange. Lists like these raise expectations too high.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lawgamer said:

So you have Witcher 3 as a big disappointment because of its technical performance, but then you have Fallout 4 at number 7?

You take that back! You take that back right now!

Hah, well I've actually not had any problems with Fallout 4 minus an inconsistent framerate. Which it is better overall then Witcher 3 but Witcher looks way better than Fallout 4. But the issues I had with Witcher were beyond just the framerate. Characters often didn't animate, Geralt would get stuck in geometry and I would have to restart, sound would cut out, I couldn't get out of conversations, characters would lose their pathing, etc, etc, etc. It bothered me so much with Witcher 3 because not only was it janky I also wasn't having fun. Like I said, I don't know why I stayed with it.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@csl316 said:

@huntad: Don't overhype yourself on Life is Strange. Lists like these raise expectations too high.

Yeah. I really like it but I bet a lot of that came from it being such a pleasant surprise along with all the things I listed above. It's not a game that everyone will like.

Cav829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

Because it's Game of the Year. :o

@csl316 said:

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cav829 said:

Because it's Game of the Year. :o

@csl316 said:

Well, according to this guy. But he's been saying that for months, since like the announcement trailer.

The first episode is cool, I can tell you that much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@jasonr86: nice list man!

re: Talos Principle- I'm glad you included that because i feel December release tend to get short shrift nearly every year in the big name lists. I wish places like GB would let those games have eligibility for the next year to compensate for the realities of producing their GotY stuff.

re: Broken Age- did you play it all one if go, or did do you do it in parts as the halves released? Just curious, since that games seems to be incredibly divisive.

For me at least I felt the way I played it (episodically) definitely dramatically impacted how I felt about the entire experience.

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slag:

Thanks dude! I played Broken Age all at once. The biggest change I noticed between the two parts is that the puzzles in part two were really obtuse and not always that fun. But I'm not beyond looking up puzzle solutions so that issue didn't really bother me all that much.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

@jasonr86: Ah ok, That was the better way to do it. Yeah totally with you, some of the puzzles in Act 2 were old school in perhaps a not so good way.

As I'm sure you surmised, I played Act 1 well before Act 2 was out .What I found for myself anyway, was that the cliffhanger ending of Act 1 was so effective (probably unintentionally so) that it created in my mind some pretty high (and probably unfair) expectations for Act 2. When it turned out that it was mostly revisiting the same areas and a story that kind of handwaved away a few key narrative components of Act 1, it made a little hard to not feel a bit let down.

But man we don't get many Adventure games of that production value level anymore, so it was definitely nice to have a decent one to play.

huntad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

@csl316: I think I will maintain my current opinion on Life is Strange, but your comment was given the appropriate weight and consideration needed.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@huntad: Go for it, I'm just here to give Jason a hard time. This is a good list and he's previously supported his stance well on that game.