2019 PC Build - Thoughts

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Hey Duders! Looking to get a new PC for my new Game room and had a few thoughts. Wanted to get the opinion of my fellow bombers and see if I am going overkill on a prebuilt pc or if I am saving and gaining more buying the parts individually and assembling the PC myself. First on the list is the prebuilt followed by the individual pieces I wanted to get. I chose AMD based upon price and wanting to play games and stream in the future, Also all items are being purchased at Best buy due to receiving a few good gift cards from a work contest but plan to price match as much as possible.

Thoughts and recommendations always help. I plan to play games on this box and stream from time to time. I plan to get a new monitor for this PC as well as connect this to my 4k TV in my game room.

PREBUILT LINK

CyberPowerPC - Gamer Master Desktop - AMD Ryzen 7-Series - 16GB Memory - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 - 2TB HDD + 240GB SSD - White - $1399.99

TOTAL PRICE - 1,515.49

Individual Pc's

AMD - Ryzen 7 2700X Octa-Core 3.7 GHz with Wraith Prism LED Cooler - $304.99 ($288 on amazon)

MSI - B450 TOMAHAWK (Socket AM4) USB 3.1 Gen 1 AMD Motherboard with LED Lighting - $114

CORSAIR - Vengeance RGB PRO 16GB (2PK 8GB) 3GHz PC4-24000 DDR4 DIMM Unbuffered Non-ECC Desktop Memory Kit with RGB Lighting - Black - $129

CORSAIR - RMx Series 750W ATX12V 2.4/EPS12V 2.92 80 Plus Gold Modular Power Supply - $109.99

Samsung - 860 EVO 1TB Internal SATA Solid State Drive - $154

MSI - GeForce RTX 2070 GAMING Z 8GB GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 Graphics Card - $629.99

NZXT - H500 Series ATX/Mini-ITX/MicroATX Mid-Tower Case - Matte Black - $69.99

CORSAIR - LL Series 120mm Case Cooling Fan with RGB lighting - $24.99 x's 2

TOTAL PRICE - $1,618.25

Avatar image for ralphmoustaccio
RalphMoustaccio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm... kind of leaning toward the pre-built in this case. Which is odd, because I'm usually definitely in the camp of building your own. But these two builds are so similar that it seems to me that you might as well go with the cheaper one. Unfortunately, the pre-built option doesn't indicate the exact motherboard, memory, and GPU manufacturers, but they should be pretty comparable to what you picked out. You could even take the hundred bucks you save on the pre-built and buy a larger SSD than it comes with and add that as additional storage, or buy faster memory (which, realistically won't make that much real-world difference) if you want to. Also keep in mind the need to purchase Windows, unless you have a full retail version that will allow for installation on the build-you-own. The pre-built comes with it, which is another effective savings if you do need to buy Windows. The major thing you can't control with the pre-built are the aesthetics, which seems like a weird thing to consider, but it's totally valid to want your PC to look the way you prefer, as opposed to what CyberPower decides looks good. Have you built a PC before? If so, do you have any parts you could re-use, such as the power supply, which could bring the prices closer together, and maybe push the decision more obviously toward building your own?

BakedBeans

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Looking at the specs in the comment sections

MOBO is the B450M - MSI or Gigabyte the in-store had MSI board on it

GPU was a gigabyte RTX 2070 comes with Anthem and Division 2

The memory I couldn't tell but I can always upgrade later. Same goes with the CPU heatsink I could buy a wraith prism off amazon to change out the stock cooler

I have built many PC's in the past but I felt the same way as the components were very close to one another. I could use the $100 to go to a new monitor as well. I just get weary buying prebuilt. COuld also go up to a 2080 but I dont know if thats overkill or not.

pappafost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I recommend a larger SSD, or adding a second one later. A quarter terabyte doesn't go very far with modern games after the OS. Extreme examples: Gears of War 4 PC = 130GB! Final Fantasy 15 with 4k textures = 155GB!

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

The pre-built is fine, it will work as intended.

If you go with building it yourself, then I have two simple recommendations. I would trade the Ryzen 2700X for the plain Ryzen 2700 and use that saving to put into RAM. You can overclock the 2700 to near the desired 3.7 GHz. Ryzen chips are not spectacular overclockers, so the effort to overclock you 2700X to 4.0 GHz would be better spent doing the far simple rise to 3.7 GHz or even up to 3.9 GHz with the less expensive chip.

If you go with the Tomahawk, a fine board if you like that brand, I would go with 3200mHz memory or at least 3000 MHz. Ryzen is improved by fast memory, most tester agree on this point if nothing else. And while it is more expensive (like $70 to $100 more on average) it could be money well spent. Picking RAM by price of specs on PC Part Picker is not always good enough, read over the prepared tables by the manufacturer too. Here, this is a link to the Pinniclae Ridge chipset on your that board . Warning: yes, the fastest RAM with the lowest CAS will be twices as much as the RAM you have chosen. However, the RAM you had chosen is not even on MSI's table of tested RAM...oh, it likely will work...or it might give you a headache by running at 2133 MHz.

That is about it for advice - overclock a Ryzen 2700 cpu and use the money saved to get faster RAM that is on the test table by MSI.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ee847d9468df
deactivated-5ee847d9468df

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AMD systems tend to be a pain to setup coreboot on (I'm fairly sure a lot of the newer ones aren't even compatible yet) and that new of a Nvidia graphics card will require the proprietary drivers. Beyond that, it looks solid.