24 hours on the road what handheld to buy?

thunderball65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By thunderball65

Like I said, 24 hours on the road. i will not be driving at all. what should i go and buy. a 3DS or a VITA? i had thoughts of playing diablo on my laptop, but i guess that will not work because of the DRM.

edit: i was thinking about ocarina or uncharted + another game.

edit #2 - i will have access to a charger so battery life is not a problem. i will be traveling with my in-laws...so conversation will not be a problem.

I think i am leaning more towards the VITA - i really want to play Golden Abyss - what are some good things to download from PSN?

Avatar image for deactivated-59a31562f0e29
deactivated-59a31562f0e29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

i'd say just go for a regular old DS

UitDeToekomst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By UitDeToekomst

Virtual Boy

Patman99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Patman99

3DS has a few games that could sustain a long road trip. Mario Kart, Super Mario 3D Land, and the upcoming Mario Tennis game are all games that I could easily play for a few hours each. There are also a bunch of great downloadable games that you could buy for the 3DS.

If you actually mean that you have a period of 24 hours in the car and not just a day trip, then good luck and have Batman because I've done the same thing (going across Canada) and it was super boring at times. You never truly appreciate how long 24 hours is until you have to sit still in an enclosed space for that long...

AhmadMetallic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By AhmadMetallic

To this day I do not know which handhelds are great and which aren't, or what great handheld games are out there. 

All hanhelds are to me is this: Endless Mario spinoffs/weird mindfucking games on Nintendo's handhelds, or basic versions of the Playstation's best games on SONY's handhelds. None of which sounds independent or interesting enough to pick up.

Lunar_Aura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Lunar_Aura

Neither. Spend quality time with the company you're with. I kinda regret the times I just buried my face in a handheld when I could have gotten to know my parents better or doing something more appreciative with my free time outside. But if you must choose, I'd suggest the 3DS because it has more of a fleshed out game library at the moment.

kmdrkul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By kmdrkul

Personally I could see the 3D of the 3DS making people really nauseous when they are in a moving car...

butano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#8  Edited By butano

Laptop and Torchlight or Titan Quest would be my suggestion if you want to play an ARPG on the road.

SadPatrol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SadPatrol

I say 3ds. But I personally never enjoy games when I travel.

killacam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By killacam

get a psp and some rad jrpg's! everybody wins!

FancySoapsMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#11  Edited By FancySoapsMan

Vita/PSP and any Lumines game

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#12  Edited By Justin258

@AhmadMetallic said:

To this day I do not know which handhelds are great and which aren't, or what great handheld games are out there. All hanhelds are to me is this: Endless Mario spinoffs/weird mindfucking games on Nintendo's handhelds, or basic versions of the Playstation's best games on SONY's handhelds. None of which sounds independent or interesting enough to pick up.

The PSP had some interesting games here and there on it, and the DS has a pretty good number of games on it. The Game Boy Advance, though, is almost undeniably the best handheld ever.

Personally? I recommend a 3DS with Ocarina of Time and Super Mario Land 3D, and then for the DS I would pick up the Mega Man Zero collection and a JRPG or two. If that doesn't fill 24 hours with good gaming variety, then I couldn't tell you what would. Just make sure you have a car charger or five extra, fully-charged batteries.

Or just an iPod Touch and Peggle.

Kiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#13  Edited By Kiro

Pick up a few books. No handheld will last you 24 hours without recharge. Also you are more then likely never going to touch that handheld again after the trip, don't make the same mistake I did.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By slyspider

VITA. Has persona 1 2 and 3 on store and some rad fighting games. Had a 3ds but dont use it in car, 3d will suck so hard with all the moving

Clonedzero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Clonedzero

buying a handheld just for a single roadtrip is a massive waste of money.

Danteveli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 30

#16  Edited By Danteveli

Depends what games you like. I had PSP and NDS with me on really long trip. The second one had longer battery life but I have spent much more time with Kingdom Hearts than other games I had with me.

Hizang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 15

#17  Edited By Hizang

You'll need a battery thingy anyway because the 3DS and the Vita only last 3-4 hours. I'd say 3DS though and a copy of Mario Kart + Super 3D Land.

Silver-Streak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#18  Edited By Silver-Streak

Both of the new handhelds do not really have any extensive length games on them yet. So if you get a 3DS, you'll probably be better off playing DS games(with a Castlevania or a Layton), and with the Vita, you'll be better off playing PSP games (like a Disgaea, ZHP, or Jeanne D'Arc)

In both of these cases you'll probably need a portable battery charger as their battery life isn't great.

You're likely to be better off getting an original DS/Lite, or a PSP. Both have somewhat better battery lives, and DS games look slightly junky on 3DS. While PSP games look slightly better on a Vita, not sure that it's beneficial enough to justify the price difference.

JJOR64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#19  Edited By JJOR64

I would say go with a 3DS. The 3DS has some solid games out now, plus it's backwards compatible with DS games. Sadly the 3DS's battery life isn't the best. If you want it to last a little longer, put the Brightness on 1 and Power Save mode On.

AirForcebro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AirForcebro

I would suggest looking at the backlog of PSP and DS games and seeing what interests you more. Both handhelds have a handful of good current gen games but, I haven't touched one of my handhelds in forever after i beat P3P. If you tend to like RPG's though the PSP's backlog has dozens of good ones. The Vita also has the benefit of having digital software which i find invaluable when on the move.

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Harkat
No Caption Provided

This one:

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Justin258

@Harkat said:

No Caption Provided

This one:

No. This one:

No Caption Provided
Cube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#23  Edited By Cube

Um..

Sleep.

Karl_Boss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#24  Edited By Karl_Boss

Neo Geo Pocket Color

Harkat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Harkat

@believer258 said:

@Harkat said:

No Caption Provided

This one:

No. This one:

No Caption Provided

You want war? OK. Get this one:

No Caption Provided
sonicrift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By sonicrift

The 3DS has pretty great battery life when you turn wireless off. If you're not going to be on the internet, and you're not concerned with streetpassing (I have never streetpassed in a car) then it's a pretty solid choice. You can also turn the 3D off if it bothers you, but I use it almost every morning on the subway with the 3D on.

But as others have mentioned, if this is mostly just for this one trip, go for a DS Lite! They have great battery life, and there are still enough exceptional games on store shelves.

Avatar image for mordeaniischaos
MordeaniisChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27  Edited By MordeaniisChaos

Will you have access to a charger? Cause if not, Gameboy Advance. It's the only way it'll stay for any meaningful amount of time.

@Clonedzero said:

buying a handheld just for a single roadtrip is a massive waste of money.

I'm sure it'll never be used again.

Ujio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 9

#28  Edited By Ujio

@thunderball65 said:

Like I said, 24 hours on the road. i will not be driving at all. what should i go and buy. a 3DS or a VITA? i had thoughts of playing diablo on my laptop, but i guess that will not work because of the DRM.

edit: i was thinking about ocarina or uncharted + another game.

Or you could use that time to actually interact with the other human beings in the car with you, unless you can't stand them. But if you can't stand them why are you going on a road trip together with them?

nick_verissimo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By nick_verissimo

The batteries on both are pretty atrocious, so truthfully I'd say get a DS if you absolutely have to play something or get some books dude!

Pazy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Pazy

@Harkat said:

@believer258 said:

@Harkat said:

No Caption Provided

This one:

No. This one:

No Caption Provided

You want war? OK. Get this one:

No Caption Provided
Turbo Express
Turbo Express

TV on the go, bitch! 1990 Style!

Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#31  Edited By Dalai

Go with the Virtual Boy. It's technically portable.

thunderball65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#32  Edited By thunderball65

i posted my update #2 on the original post.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 75

#33  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

If the Vita and the 3DS are your only options, I don't know. I guess the 3DS has the bigger library (it is DS compatible isn't it?).

I'd probably go for a Game Boy Advance SP (the original GBA was fucking terrible, you can't see shit on the screen even in the best of lightning conditions, and when traveling I think lightning conditions are out of your control) or a DS Lite which is also GBA compatible (I don't think it handles older GB cartridges though), as they have massive libraries of games.

tithin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By tithin

@fisk0 said:

If the Vita and the 3DS are your only options, I don't know. I guess the 3DS has the bigger library (it is DS compatible isn't it?).

It's DS compatible yeah, but the Vita is also compatible with the PSP games (provided you buy them on the PSN). I'd personally go with the Vita, it has Disgaea 3 after all.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By RazielCuts

A book, I've heard they're pretty popular.

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@tithin said:

@fisk0 said:

It's DS compatible yeah, but the Vita is also compatible with the PSP games (provided you buy them on the PSN). I'd personally go with the Vita, it has Disgaea 3 after all.

Isn't the selection of PSP games on PSN kinda small? If the ones you want are on it, then certainly, go for the Vita, but they haven't rolled out PS1 and PS2 classics support for it yet, if I'm not mistaken, so other than the current selection of Vita games and the PSP releases that are available on PSN (some of which you need a PS3 to get to your Vita, as even though they run on the system can't be downloaded directly to it) there aren't a lot of games for it yet, while the 3DS has support for a potentially pretty damn big library of games, provided you can find physical copies of them.

tithin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By tithin

@fisk0 said:

@tithin said:

@fisk0 said:

Isn't the selection of PSP games on PSN kinda small? If the ones you want are on it, then certainly, go for the Vita, but they haven't rolled out PS1 and PS2 classics support for it yet, if I'm not mistaken, so other than the current selection of Vita games and the PSP releases that are available on PSN (some of which you need a PS3 to get to your Vita, as even though they run on the system can't be downloaded directly to it) there aren't a lot of games for it yet, while the 3DS has support for a potentially pretty damn big library of games, provided you can find physical copies of them.

The PSP selection is decent but incomplete (see: here). PS1 emulation isn't rolled out for the vita yet but is due "any day now" (some have shown up on the vita store but aren't downloadable yet) while there's no real movement on PS2 support. Heck, the ps3 has nominal ps2 emulated support but not many games out for it yet.

As for requiring a PS3 to download some of those games, that's false, providing that you have a PSN account (creatable on a vita) and access to a wireless node, you can download any retail PSV game, and any downloadable PSP game.

edit; I am apparently mistaken, some PSP games do require download via a PS3

fisk0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By fisk0  Moderator

@tithin said:

As for requiring a PS3 to download some of those games, that's false, providing that you have a PSN account (creatable on a vita) and access to a wireless node, you can download any retail PSV game, and any downloadable PSP game.

I suppose they've fixed that issue then, I haven't release kept up with how it's been going for the Vita since the weeks after launch, but I remember IGN and a couple of other sites mentioning that some PSP game(s) couldn't be downloaded directly to the Vita, only giving an error about not being compatible, but if the Vita was connected to a PS3 with the game on it, it could be copied to the Vita and played without problems. I can't remember which game(s) were affected.

tithin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By tithin

@fisk0: My apologies, you were correct regarding that, I was under the impression that it'd been fixed but as of February hadn't been. No real word on which ones are affected, but I do know that incompatible via straight transfer games do not show up on the vita store.