360 Vs PS3 Controller

Dport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By Dport

I've only just recently got my hands on a Xbox 360 after many years using the PS3.  What I have discovered is a big difference in comfort.   

The 360 Controller Fit very well in with my hand shape but I think a little to well.  After playing a few hours over the past couple of night i woke up this morning with a ache in my right hand (hahahaha no it's not from masterbating just to kill that comment before it happens).   It seems to  be where join in my thumb that wraps around the controller to use the buttons. The PS3 has never done anything like that. 

I was wondering if anyone else has had this or do i just have different shaped hands???? 

Avatar image for deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72
deactivated-5c7ea8553cb72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

Both controllers fit my hands fine.

Sanryd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Sanryd

I also think the 360 controller is more comfortable, and haven't had that problem, but I did notice that while playing any racing game on the PS3, my index finger would kill afterwards from holding down those weird-ass "triggers." That ever happen to you?

Dport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Dport
@tdk08 said:
" I also think the 360 controller is more comfortable, and haven't had that problem, but I did notice that while playing any racing game on the PS3, my index finger would kill afterwards from holding down those weird-ass "triggers." That ever happen to you? "
Can't say it has, but haven't played many racing games.  I think my problem is that my hands have mutated to fit the PS3
Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Mourne

The 360 controller seems to work best for all types of games, whereas the PS design has just grown a bit stale. It doesn't seem as comfortable for extended gaming sessions, and any use of the triggers on the PS3 is rubbish, especially in FPS's.

Nock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By Nock

I like the 360 better other then the dpad is jacked, but I don't care cause rarely use it. PS3 dualshock 3 is still too light, I feel like ima break it every time I pick it up, and fuck the smooshy L2 and R2.

UnlivedPhalanx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By UnlivedPhalanx

The 360 controller is far superior in not only conforming to the hand better, but in joystick placement.

Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8  Edited By Ineedaname

The keyboard and mouse wins.

RIGHT!

Vinchenzo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#9  Edited By Vinchenzo

360 is better than the PS3 controller anyday. Sony just needs to change their controller, because it's seriously outdated.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By xyzygy

What I dislike about the PS3 controller:  

- Sticks are way too loose and cheap feeling. 
- Placement of sticks is very awkward. 
- The triggers are placed terribly. 
- Way too small for my hands, I always feel like my fingers are holding the controller and never my actual hands. 

Keep in mind that if I use my PS3 controller for games on my computer than only require the use of the d-pad and face buttons, I love it. 

Things I dislike about the 360 controller: 

- A lot of residue builds up on the sides of the sticks where there is friction. (Not sure if this happens for the PS3, I don't play it that much) 
- Placement of the battery pack is annoying. Wireless controllers however are perfect 
- The Guide button is made of this odd kind of metal and you'll notice over time that the dirt from your fingers gets caught and built up on it. It starts to feel really weird when you press it, like sandpaper or something. 
- D-Pad's bulkiness leads to accidental moves in games. With age though, the d-pad gets so much better because it loosens up.

As you can see, some of the stuff I say about the 360 is trivial but they still kinda irk me. The 360 d-pad thing only applies to new controllers. They feel really good once you break them in, but still not as good as the PS3 d-pad. Then again, what 3D game uses the d-pad as a means of movement these days though?   

@Vinchenzo said:

" 360 is better than the PS3 controller anyday. Sony just needs to change their controller, because it's seriously outdated. "
Agreed. I hate that whole thing about "If it's not broken, don't fix it." Change is good.
gla55jAw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 31

#11  Edited By gla55jAw

Only 2 times have my hands hurt from playing the 360 controller. The first time was the Call of Duty 4 beta, I played probably 6 hours straight, then took a break and went back and played until my hands hurt. The second time was a terribly long all day Borderlands session.

I was a Sony fanboy basically my whole life until I got my 360. I absolutley love the 360 controller. The only bad is the d-pad. 
I still enjoy my Dualshock 3 but I had to put those trigger attachments on L2 and R2 because it just felt strange, now my fingers lay nicely on those triggers. Also they need to swap the d-pad and the left stick, I find it unusable for FPS games.

rjayb89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

#12  Edited By rjayb89

The PS3 controller is great for button mashing, the analog sticks provide a convex thumb "mount" that makes playing games like skate and Fight Night real easy to pull off moves and the triggers (I have those add-on triggers for the PS3 controllers) that make them more sensitive to your touch and a little more precise.  Even though I've made these points for the PS3 controller, I personally prefer the 360 controller which I think is great for shooters and simulation games.

Avatar image for organicalistic_
Organicalistic_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Organicalistic_

360 controller is to big, ps3 is just right

NZV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By NZV

PS3 controller feels much too small, and doesn't really do anything to fit the shape of a hand. D-Pad aside, the 360 controller is the best I've laid my fingers upon. I find myself preferring it for a lot of PC games, as even though it isn't as efficient or accurate for many genres, it's so snug in your palms. I quite like it, and don't understand how it took so many decades of awful controllers to get to this point.

Nintendo is especially guilty here. I suppose the SNES controller wasn't too terrible, but everything else seems like they deliberately designed the things to be awkward and uncomfortable.

LiquidPrince

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By LiquidPrince

The PS3 controller is more comfortable for me. 360 controller is too bulky.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meteora

I like the 360 controller more than the PS3 one. The only big flaw of the 360 that I don't like about is the stupid spongy d-pad. Otherwise its great.

gamer4life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#17  Edited By gamer4life

i love the 360 controller for shooters, but for any other game i prefer the dualshock

MAN_FLANNEL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By MAN_FLANNEL

I find the 360 controller a bit too small, let alone the tiny PS3 one. 

iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By iam3green

xbox 360 controller feels more comfortable. with the ps3 controller i can press R1 to fire guns faster. (my friend can shoot so fast that it sounds like a modded controller.) 

i had a xbox 360 first and once i got a ps3 my right wrist started hurting. i think it is because of the placements of the two controllers.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By EthanielRain

It's possible you developed a small case of carpal tunnel - does it hurt when do it on the PS3 controller, or when you make similar motions without using any controller?

canucks23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By canucks23

I don't have any problem with the ds3 or the 360 controller. People who think either one is crap are just to damn picky. Both are fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96
deactivated-5c5cdba6e0b96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My PS3 controller fits my hands fine and I have big hands, Sony could make it a little larger but I think it is fine the way it is.

Dport

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Dport
 @EthanielRain said:
" It's possible you developed a small case of carpal tunnel - does it hurt when do it on the PS3 controller, or when you make similar motions without using any controller? "
No seems fine on the PS3 controller.  Could be the weight of the controller.  I probably need a few weeks to get used to it.  I had an original XBOX and never had a problem with the Massive over sized controller.   

It could be the PS3 controller is the controller that did the damage and the 360 is putting my hand back into shape
Anund

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Anund

I prefer the size and weight of the 360 controller but the awkward placing of the left analog stick makes my thumb hurt. The placement of the sticks is far better on the PS3 controller. The triggers are better on the 360 one... All in all, it's a tie for me, but I use the PS3 more since it's nice and quiet and you can play online for free.

Avatar image for sathingtonwaltz
SathingtonWaltz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By SathingtonWaltz
@Ineedaname: Keyboard and mouse is the most uncomfortable way of playing anything besides RTS games.
Ineedaname

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Ineedaname
@SathingtonWaltz: My comment was a joke =(

And I'm sure it's not the most uncomfortable, you could be playing whilst stood on a land mine, that wouldn't be comfortable, you could be playing vs. a bear that gets angry when you beat it, that would be uncomfortable.
hinderk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#27  Edited By hinderk
@canucks23 said:
" I don't have any problem with the ds3 or the 360 controller. People who think either one is crap are just to damn picky. Both are fine. "
kidman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By kidman

I prefer 360 controller. DS3 has a not-so-awesome triggers (L2 and R2) and even game devs know about it since  a lot of shooters use R1 as a 'shoot dudes in the face' button, which is not something that would happen on the 360. Also like analogs joysticks better because of their placement and being 'pushed in' (sry, english isn't my native language).

haethos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By haethos

360 controller just feels so natural to me now, mostly because having triggers is great for shooters. That being said, I think the dual shock's face buttons are much better -- my 360 controller's buttons feel stiff as hell.

EVO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By EVO
@Mourne said:
" The 360 controller seems to work best for all types of games "
Except fighters and 2D games. And typing messages.
haggis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By haggis

My problem with the PS3 controller is the stick placement. I think the stick placement is what makes extended use of the triggers a bit awkward. And the weight, of course, which is a little too low. Save for the much-maligned D-pad, the Xbox 360 controller is by far the best on the market. I've heard some people complain that it's too big and heavy, especially those with smaller hands, but the kids I've seen play the console never seem to have problems with it, despite their size. Go figure.

Style-wise, yes, the PS3 controller is a bit dated. Sony played it a bit conservatively, since the Dual Shock was the most popular controller last-gen, and they didn't want to screw with it too much. Meanwhile, the original Xbox's controller was so bad that Microsoft had an incentive to experiment. Other than fixing the D-pad, I don't know what I'd change about it.

The PS3 controller isn't bad, though I think it could definitely use an update.

Bones8677

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#32  Edited By Bones8677

My biggest problem with the PS3 controller is that it's too light, small, and the awkward "triggers" I got some trigger attachments for the controller, and it feels much better as a result.
My biggest problem with the 360 controller is that it collects a lot of dirt and grime, and you have to use a Q-tip to clean out of where they tend to collect. And the D-pad is horrendous, god awful... it's really bad.

Mourne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mourne
@EVO said:

" @Mourne said:

" The 360 controller seems to work best for all types of games "
Except fighters and 2D games. And typing messages. "
Not for me, at least. The PS3 controller is too light, too flimsy, and too small for my hands (not to mention that the triggers are awkwardly placed and, unlike the triggers on virtually every other controller I've played, do not feel natural at all).

I used to play SF4 on the PS3 but after playing the 360 version, the D-pad worked out better for me and I never bothered going back. It is hard to grasp at first simply because of how the D-pad on the 360 is made, but it actually allows for faster execution (at least in my case). It's easier to charge moves with it as well, but neither's D-pad is really as effective as it should be. The last time I felt like I was getting the most for my money on a console controller for a fighting game was the Dreamcast.

By the way, how can it really be better for 2D games? Wouldn't that just come down to comfort since you're mostly only pressing a button and a direction? If so, then I have to go with the 360 controller yet again.

As for typing messages, yeah, I guess the Dual-Shock design works well there. Then again, I have never really had trouble with it while typing out a quick reply or whatnot on the 360 (the PS3 gave me little reason to send a message in the first place due to the smaller userbase/enthusiasm of it; that is, aside from all the voice chat on there sounding like a recording of the Apollo landing). But I guess, on the 360, there is cross-game voice chat, so most people likely don't have to bother with messages. Point stands, though--if you plan to spend most of your time texting while playing online games (not that I can blame them due to the lackluster library that's built up for the PS3 as far as online multiplayer is concerned), the PS3 is for you.
Willy105

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Willy105

The 360 is the best controller, if not the only reason being the only one out of the two that doesn't require you to do finger yoga.

No Caption Provided

AlwaysAngry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By AlwaysAngry

Again... 

Blue nicks - "The 360 controller is too bulky." 

Green nicks - "The PS3 controller is too small." 

/tread.

ProfessorEss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#36  Edited By ProfessorEss

They're both fine controllers tho I do feel the Playstation controller is in desperate need of some design updates - mainly to those triggers.
I'm kinda surprised it didn't get a little more updated than it did when the PS3 launched.

Ghostiet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Ghostiet

I prefer the Dual Shock. The triggers are good enough, feels good in my hands, the D-Pad is much better. The 360 one seems a bit too bulky, the battery cache on its back doesn't help. It feels like something's missing.

Though my favorite ever would be the Logitech Rumblepad. Precise D-Pad and its big enough.

MrJiggerski

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#38  Edited By MrJiggerski

Dual shock is too small. But on the other hand, the xbox controller seems to be just a little too small too (yeah, I've got big hands).

nyuckelhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nyuckelhead

I dont have any complaint about the 360 controller other than the d pad, and my only one for the ps3 is placement of the analog sticks.

so it's obvious I play fighting games on the PS3 and shooters on the 360. oh wow they are perfect for different things lol !!

The Game Cube controller is my all time favorite though.

mattbosten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By mattbosten

Don't have a problem with either controller but generally find the 360's design to be a little more ergonomic, fitting more naturally into my hands.

kalmis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 115

User Lists: 6

#41  Edited By kalmis
@AlwaysAngry said:
" Again...   Blue nicks - "The 360 controller is too bulky."   Green nicks - "The PS3 controller is too small."  /tread. "
Was just thinking about the same :)
Jasonofindy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Jasonofindy

I find it mind-boggling that sony has never updated the Dual shock.  It was a mid-cycle revision to the Playstation controller which built in rumble and tacked on analog sticks at the bottom of the existing controller when they saw how nintendo's N64 analog stick could be used in 3D games.   

As a hasty revision to an existing controller, it was a good design.  However, it was mind-boggling when the PS2 launched with essentially the same form factor.  Then again, the competitors' controllers at the time weren't much to brag about.  The Dreamcast's awkward single stick brick, the Xbox's infamous Duke with tiny white and black buttons inset in the most awkward of locations, and the Gamecube's odd asymmetrical button design.  (both the odd face buttons and the strange lack of a button on the left side corresponding to the Z button on the right)  

Now yet another generation has come and is hopefully starting to wind down.  While others have continued to refine their controllers, Sony has never updated their form factor to reflect the fact that gamers are now, on average, adults with adult sized hands.   I prefer the size, stick placement, triggers, and stick shape of the 360 controller.  As others have noted the D-pad sucks, but I have never really been fond of the empty center design of Sony's d-pad either.   

My ultimate console controller would be the 360 controller but with Nintendo's SNES D-pad, Sony's face button design, and Sony's bluetooth connectivity.

Iceman2913

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Iceman2913

I prefer the ps3 controller