600 games in my collection and I'm playing a ROM...

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 10

#1  Edited By astrotriforce

The title really says it all. I own over 600 games for all platforms (from Virtual Boy to NES to PS3 to Xbox1 to Steam/GOG/PC) and what am I playing? 

Freakin' EarthBound. On a freakin' emulator. That's how much of an old school motherf*cker I am.  

Part of me is extremely bothered by this. Not that I really have any reason to be, I mean EarthBound is an awesome game that I could never beat on my legit SNES copy that erases save files (so I gave up and finally went the emulator route, which a friend gave me. And honestly, she gave it to me like three years ago but I was intent on playing the SNES version and beating that so I never touched it until late last year... but it's an impossibility to beat on SNES....*sigh*) so it only makes sense to play it on the PC where my save files are safe.  

I don't know what it is though, but I almost seem stuck in the last gen in many ways. I've missed out on a ton of the current-gen hits and I always find myself returning to games I love such as Metroid Prime or Resident Evil Remake, or in this case EarthBound. Even a couple months back I replayed through the Ninja Gaiden NES trilogy, Metroid 1 and Super Metroid. And I may, just may, play through Link's Awakening which I've already beaten before. And if I don't do that I really feel like returning to my unfinished Final Fantasy 8 save file that I stopped playing half a year ago. 

I feel like I SHOULD be playing something NEW (You know, like those unviolated copies of FFXIII and Halo Reach: Legendary I bought. Or even Zelda: Twilight Princess). And you know what I may still play tonight instead? Resident Evil REMAKE. Again. CURSES! 

And for anyone who thinks otherwise, I OWN the game so technically playing the ROM is legal for me. I bought Earthbound back in like 1997 at Blockbuster for $15 bucks. :P 

My collection of boxed SNES games, including EarthBound at the top (minus Mario Paint). 
My collection of boxed SNES games, including EarthBound at the top (minus Mario Paint). 

One of my prized possessions while I was still attempting to play it on SNES one final time before it deleted my game again. How did that happen? POWER OUTAGE. I kid you not. God hates me. :P
 One of my prized possessions while I was still attempting to play it on SNES one final time before it deleted my game again. How did that happen? POWER OUTAGE. I kid you not. God hates me. :P

Wooooot! Or so I thought :P
 Wooooot! Or so I thought :P

Maybe this should be my new avatar pic. Taken with DSi XL.
 Maybe this should be my new avatar pic. Taken with DSi XL.
Heartagram

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#2  Edited By Heartagram

Inb4 Cool Story bro 

I feel you. I tend to play games im comfortable with like WoW because I dont have to learn how to play it again. You know what you need to do theres no guessing its just a nice comfortable feeling playing what you like. Also you dont have to worry you may not like something if you've already played it. I tend to do the same with movies and just watch things I like rather than things I haven't seen before.

meteora

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By meteora
@Heartagram said:
" Inb4 Cool Story bro "
Cool story bro!
Example1013

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Example1013
@Heartagram said:
" Inb4 Cool Story bro 
Cool story br-dammit! 

Anyways...if they good, play em. I took out SSBM the other day. STILL a damned amazing game. Also, I actually downloaded emulated ROMs for Metroid and Pokemon Red (sorta cheated on the metroid one, I just downloaded the whole page, since I couldn't find the emulator with which to make my own little window). And I've spent years (not literally, but...y'know) playing Super Mario World, despite the fact that it came out like 20 years ago. The game's still probably the best title to ever come out on a handheld system ever, besides being one of the best games of all time in its own right.  

Yeah, I'm sayin' it. Super Mario World is Best Portable Game of All Time Fo' Eva.
iam3green

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By iam3green

good times playing emulators. you know what you should do man, you should play an emulator and then play something current. you will look at the graphics and think that they are way awesome than what they were for a person that plays them everyday. i do that from time to time. 

what i think it is, is that you just enjoy playing older games.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By astrotriforce

Thanks everyone! Oh I am comfortable but I do really wish I had that willpower, I guess, to play more modern games and have that real desire to do it. I think @iam3green: said it best, I just like older games.... 

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#7  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, it erases saves? Is it doing anything else weird? If it is, there's a good chance you bought a pirated copy. Earthbound's a dick about piracy (but not about emulators).

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#8  Edited By Yummylee

Just play with what you feel! And let the hearts, kisses and rainbows do the rest. 

I've been getting into oldish games myself, aswell. PS2 era, so not quite Earthbound ;P. Been playing me the LOTR games (which as dates as they be are still some of the best movie2game adaptations you can find) and ordered me a copy of The Warriors having never played it.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By astrotriforce
@Video_Game_King said:
" Wait, it erases saves? Is it doing anything else weird? If it is, there's a good chance you bought a pirated copy. Earthbound's a dick about piracy (but not about emulators). "
There is virtually NO WAY that it is a pirated copy. I got the thing way back before the new millennium dude. I mean I suppose it could be a possibility, but it was at Blockbuster so I assume that it was a rental that they sold off (it didn't come with the strategy guide either. I was so pissed I nearly took it back :P). Also, me and my dad opened it up, I bought a brand new battery, looked online and we followed the instructions to install a new battery (not with tape but a soldering iron or whatever those things are called. I bought one just for this, never having attempted anything like it before). And it STILL erased my game.... So yeah. It has to be a cart or chip issue I guess. Who knows. Sucks though.  
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By astrotriforce
@Abyssfull said:
" Just play with what you feel! And let the hearts, kisses and rainbows do the rest.  I've been getting into oldish games myself, aswell. PS2 era, so not quite Earthbound ;P. Been playing me the LOTR games (which as dates as they be are still some of the best movie2game adaptations you can find) and ordered me a copy of The Warriors having never played it. "
Wow that's quite ironic! I too recently picked up Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers for PS2 on Goozex remembering the praise that it got back in the day when EGM reviewed it. I also had a copy of Lord of the Rings: Return of the King come to me via Goozex (a videogame and movie trading site with them as the middleman) but sent it back when the disc was so scratched it looked like it probably wouldn't play at all. I didn't test it but sent it back anyway, you never know when the ending cutscene would cut out all voice or something with so much scratching going on. 
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Video_Game_King
@astrotriforce: 

People were making illegitimate copies of the game long before 2000. That's why Nintendo released a 1.1 release of it (you don't count it as a different game, since it's usually just bug fixes): to screw over people who were copying it onto blank ROM boards or whatever.
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By astrotriforce
@Video_Game_King said:
" @astrotriforce:   People were making illegitimate copies of the game long before 2000. That's why Nintendo released a 1.1 release of it (you don't count it as a different game, since it's usually just bug fixes): to screw over people who were copying it onto blank ROM boards or whatever. "
Hmm, I did not know this. I got mine around '97 I reckon. So yeah I guess it could be a pirated copy afterall. Oh well, I got the ROM so I could care less anyway. Even still, you'd think Blockbuster would have only legit copies don't you think?
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Video_Game_King
@astrotriforce: 

I don't know how Blockbuster operates, but it's at least possible that there's some overlap between their used game market and rental stuff.

Also, what the hell is that game next to Star Fox? I cannot figure out what the hell it is.
Avatar image for christiancastillo
ChristianCastillo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Yep cartridges sometimes have the problem of not being able to sustain a save.  Happened to me once when I tried to play Pokemon Gold on my gameboy color after not playing it for like 5 years and when I go to reload a save it's not there.

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By astrotriforce
@Video_Game_King said:
" @astrotriforce:   I don't know how Blockbuster operates, but it's at least possible that there's some overlap between their used game market and rental stuff.  Also, what the hell is that game next to Star Fox? I cannot figure out what the hell it is. "

It's called Vortex, a Super FX GSU-1 chip 3D shooter:  

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vortex_(video_game)  

The game in the upper-right is Ultraman.  
greennoodles

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#16  Edited By greennoodles

Wow, just wow. I recently started Earthbound again. I never finished it despite the fact that I have started it about 10 times, but I got a couple days off here and I swear I am gonna plow through it.

buzz_clik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#17  Edited By buzz_clik

I've got a gorgeously pristine boxed copy of Mother 2 for the Super Famicom. Problem is, my Japanese is nowhere near good enough to play through it.

ch3burashka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#18  Edited By ch3burashka

I miss my SNES... I've been considering buying one off craigslist, and getting all my old games. I swear I'll do it... one of these days...

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#19  Edited By BeachThunder

Nothing wrong with playing old games. The first 2 games I've finished this year are Comix Zone and Fallout 2.

Also, zomg, you have a face.

Edit: Link's Awakening is amazing you should definitely play through it again =D

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#20  Edited By Yummylee
@BeachThunder said:
" Nothing wrong with playing old games. The first 2 games I've finished this year are Comix Zone and Fallout 2.  Also, zomg, you have a face. "
Comix Zone is so fuckin' hard for me. Never gotten further than the first level >.>
Gonmog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Gonmog

i love the psp...when i am playing older games on it :/

crusader8463

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#22  Edited By crusader8463

Sometimes you just want to play an old game. Nothing wrong with it. I know when I soft modded my original x-box I pretty much only used it to play Chrono Trigger and that was about it. I played it for a week or so, then that was it. 

Back when I got my first PC I was using dial up and spending hours downloading old nes/SNES roms and I would spend months just playing old games I always wanted to play as a kid but never could afford to, or could never find them. 

I spent something like $500 on games in the month of November, and I have started replaying older games two times now, and I still haven't even touched half of the stuff I bought. I'm new to this whole, having an actually backlog of games thing, so my mind just doesn't understand how it works and I keep forgetting I have all those games sitting over there when I go looking for a new game to play. Just p lay what you want to play, and don't feel guilty about not playing something else.

Anyway, a mod will probably be in soon to lock/delete for talking about something as EVIL as roms.    

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By astrotriforce
@BeachThunder said:

" Nothing wrong with playing old games. The first 2 games I've finished this year are Comix Zone and Fallout 2.

Also, zomg, you have a face.

Edit: Link's Awakening is amazing you should definitely play through it again =D "

Hahahahaha. No it's just an illusion! AN ILLUSION DAMMIT!  

I did buy Fallout 1 and 2 on GOG.... Oh yeah man, my brother beat it a few months back and that re-lit the fire in me to replay it. It looked JUST AS amazing as I remembered it. I've played through it a few times. The game is criminally overlooked and will be re-released soon on 3DS, so I wanna get a review of it written and posted on my site before then. Something I've always wanted to do since it's such a fantastic title. 

@CH3BURASHKA said:

" I miss my SNES... I've been considering buying one off craigslist, and getting all my old games. I swear I'll do it... one of these days... "

You should, no excuse to not have a SNES. I have both a regular and a "slim" as well as a regular NES (the old boxed guy we all know and love) and an NES2 (paid $80 for it). The NES2 is awesome, highly recommend it. Yeah y current roommate (the one who was on Meth 8 months back) had it hooked up in the leaving room and was playing through Contra, Turtles 2 and 3 and Bucky O'Hare before he went into the Church on the Street rehab program. He's back now. I should tell him to hook it up again. :D  

@buzz_clik said:

" I've got a gorgeously pristine boxed copy of Mother 2 for the Super Famicom. Problem is, my Japanese is nowhere near good enough to play through it. "

Very cool dude! As someone who frequents Starmen.net now and then, I hope to eventually have a lot of that stuff as well.
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#24  Edited By Jeust

Nice collection!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By astrotriforce
@Jeust said:
" Nice collection! "
Thanks man! 

@crusader8463 said:
" Sometimes you just want to play an old game. Nothing wrong with it. I know when I soft modded my original x-box I pretty much only used it to play Chrono Trigger and that was about it. I played it for a week or so, then that was it.  Back when I got my first PC I was using dial up and spending hours downloading old nes/SNES roms and I would spend months just playing old games I always wanted to play as a kid but never could afford to, or could never find them.  I spent something like $500 on games in the month of November, and I have started replaying older games two times now, and I still haven't even touched half of the stuff I bought. I'm new to this whole, having an actually backlog of games thing, so my mind just doesn't understand how it works and I keep forgetting I have all those games sitting over there when I go looking for a new game to play. Just p lay what you want to play, and don't feel guilty about not playing something else.  Anyway, a mod will probably be in soon to lock/delete for talking about something as EVIL as roms.     "
I hope they don't we've had some interesting discussion here. Dude the Xbox 1 had so many amazing games, I have over 20 Xbox 1 games. Oh yeah man, I spent probably over $300 on new games, more than that (over $500) if you include September (my little bros. b-day) when I bought him a ton of stuff. Too much really. I got him StarCraft 2 CE, Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions, Tekken 6 and Deathsmiles. I bought myself Halo Reach Legendary, Dead Rising 2, 3D Dot Game Heroes, a new PS3, got Mario All-Stars Limited Edition and Flingsmash to review, got at least 5 games from Goozex, and bought about 60 games off Steam and GOG together during the holiday sales. Cause I'm CRAZY. And in debt. :P
lasafrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#26  Edited By lasafrog
@astrotriforce:
So relate man. I have nearly 600 proper retail games spanning Vic-20 to Xbox 360, with a nice even spread on most systems to date. I have Mass Effect 2 completely unplayed ready to go, but instead of playing I've been YouTubing the complete playthrough of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys on the Japanese PC Engine. I imported that game years ago but never finished it due to the obvious language barrier.  So that 20 year old game is what takes my interest tonight, as the Mass Effect 2s and the Call of Duty: Black Ops are sitting on the shelf.
twhalen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By twhalen

This past summer I spent almost all my free time replaying games. I have a gazillion games I haven't gotten to (I will install Fallout 3 someday) but the rate at which I catch up on all the new releases is very slow considering how much I'm lured by the games I've already played but want to take for another spin. I almost have a liturgical calendar of replays, as I find myself playing games such as Thief II and Quake at least once every year. 

As this year there are quite a few new releases I really want to play, I'll probably actually get to those. As for my backlog, well, I'll have it for a good three to five years, and it will just keep growing, of course. At least I'll always have something to do!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By astrotriforce
@lasafrog said:
" @astrotriforce: So relate man. I have nearly 600 proper retail games spanning Vic-20 to Xbox 360, with a nice even spread on most systems to date. I have Mass Effect 2 completely unplayed ready to go, but instead of playing I've been YouTubing the complete playthrough of Ys IV: Dawn of Ys on the Japanese PC Engine. I imported that game years ago but never finished it due to the obvious language barrier.  So that 20 year old game is what takes my interest tonight, as the Mass Effect 2s and the Call of Duty: Black Ops are sitting on the shelf. "
Wow man that is AWESOME! Good luck to you with that playthrough! :D Oh yeah man, my backlog of modern games starts in like 06 or 08 and goes from there. It's quite sad cause I really feel like I'm missing out, from Bioshock to all of the Call of Dutys to Ninja Gaiden 2 to Oblivion. Much less Mass Effect anything. *sigh* 
Jeust

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 15

#29  Edited By Jeust
@astrotriforce: Still why do you play the rom for Resident Evil Remake? Is the Gamecube not working? 

What do you like about RE Remake?
astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By astrotriforce
@Jeust said:
" @astrotriforce: Still why do you play the rom for Resident Evil Remake? Is the Gamecube not working?   What do you like about RE Remake? "
WHAT?! No dude I have the GameCube games legit. I am 100% against piracy, I think it kills the industry and I despise it when people load up games illegally; the ONE exception I've made in my life is EarthBound, since my legit copy won't keep saves.  

What do I like about Resident Evil Remake? It is one of my favorite games of all time, top 5 easily and probably the game I've replayed the most. What makes the game is the spellbindingly gorgeous graphics. Even in this high-def era the detail is unparalleled. If only it was HD it would still be untouched even now IMHO. I love the old-school RE gameplay (slow-paced, true survival horror. Conserving ammo and herbs, item management, slow-opening door sequences, hoping against hope that aiming that shotgun up will give you a headshot so a Crimson Head doesn't awaken and tear you to shreds). I love virtually every aspect of the game from the realism of having to light the bodies up and burn them (taking up two item spaces for both the lighter and kerosene container if you're Jill), the pacing, the locations, the rewritten script, the differing scenes depending on what path you take, the multiple endings, iconic characters and eerie music.  

I still have not tackled the extra modes even though I've beaten the game like a million-and-one times. I'm gonna tackle Real Survival (where Item Boxes AREN'T linked) soon. The only complaint is that the voice acting still leaves something to be desired and is still corny in feel with pretty bad dialog (the actual voice ACTING is alright). But I mean come on, I'm an old-schooler RE fan from the original RE '96 era so that doesn't bother me, it was WORSE in the original game (RE2 doesn't hold up as well in that department either, I played through it not too long back. And wrote a Resident Evil 2 review and Resident Evil Remake review). In short, Remake is a PHENOMENAL game. It's the scariest in the series IMHO. I also highly recommend RE: Zero, both games are spectacular. I mean I love 4 and 5, but I hope they go back to their roots with RE6. 
FunExplosions

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By FunExplosions

Ow! Man, paper towels must hurt. You better switch to some aloe vera tissues or you're gonna develop a rash!

astrotriforce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By astrotriforce
@FunExplosions said:
" Ow! Man, paper towels must hurt. You better switch to some aloe vera tissues or you're gonna develop a rash! "
Paper towels are the bomb! You never know when there's gonna be a spill or a wiping down of consoles or a cleaning of a desk. I always keep paper towels around when i can afford it. In addition to small towels.