97% of American children play video games.

PhilSebben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

MetalGearSunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By MetalGearSunny

The other 3%?

Keano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Keano

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#4  Edited By Vaxadrin

That shit's crazy.  What kind of future do you guys see, knowing that in 20 or 30 years the people who run the country will be these kids, instead of these nasty grumpy old-timers?

breton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By breton

I don't like you guys' percents.

kush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#6  Edited By kush

I don't buy that percentage at all. I doubt their study was done properly, but that's just my opinion. I believe there would be a high percentage of American gamers, but I don't think it would be that high...

MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#7  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator

That article was a very good read. I was expecting it to be all "look at all out kids wasting their lives on video games", but it actually looked at the positives, mentioning the wii and the physical activity that involves. Even when mentioning that kids were getting their hands on M rated games, it went on to say how even violent games can have benefits, e.g. halo teaching team working skills. If only the majority of mainstream media would write about games in an informative way like this.

Mardarkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Mardarkin

It's not that hard to believe, given that whole technological boom recently, giving most Western households more foodstuffs, wireless phones and tellyboxes than the WWII generation could've drooled over.

We the computer generation.  And we prefer games to reality.  Yaaay!

crunchUK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By crunchUK

woah. guess that explains XBL then :P think about it

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Arkthemaniac
MattyFTM said:
 halo teaching team working skills. 
And teabagging, all in one package!
I do think there's a lot to learn from games, even M rated ones. For instance, at the age of 5, I learned that demons were very bad thanks to Doom. Also, I learned only to say "HOLY SHIT" after killing 10 people within 5 seconds.
Pibo47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Pibo47
Kush said:
"I don't buy that percentage at all. I doubt their study was done properly, but that's just my opinion. I believe there would be a high percentage of American gamers, but I don't think it would be that high..."
i would buy a 75%, not that high. Thats insane. I know plenty of people at my highschool that dont play video games, and they're rich to.
Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Vaxadrin
Pibo47 said:
"i would buy a 75%, not that high. Thats insane. I know plenty of people at my highschool that dont play video games, and they're rich to."
But in America, the rich are the upper 1%, so the numbers kind of work out...
MattyFTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#13  Edited By MattyFTM  Moderator
Pibo47 said:
"Kush said:
"I don't buy that percentage at all. I doubt their study was done properly, but that's just my opinion. I believe there would be a high percentage of American gamers, but I don't think it would be that high..."
i would buy a 75%, not that high. Thats insane. I know plenty of people at my highschool that dont play video games, and they're rich to."
From the sound of the article, they're including people who just occasionaly play games, e.g. when they go to a friends house. Plus, how do you know these guys don't play video games. Just because they're not hardcore and don't talk about it doesn't mean they don't play them casually. Even if its just a couple of cheap casual PC game's they've got on their PC, it'll count.
elbow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By elbow
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The other 3%?"

mormon
PhilSebben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PhilSebben
MattyFTM said:
"Pibo47 said:
"Kush said:
i would buy a 75%, not that high. Thats insane. I know plenty of people at my highschool that dont play video games, and they're rich to."
From the sound of the article, they're including people who just occasionaly play games, e.g. when they go to a friends house. Plus, how do you know these guys don't play video games. Just because they're not hardcore and don't talk about it doesn't mean they don't play them casually. Even if its just a couple of cheap casual PC game's they've got on their PC, it'll count."
exactly Matty Im sure this poll consists alot of different factors into the mix that some may not count, even people who play mindless cell phone games could be considered a gamer of sorts.
Systech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Systech

So the other 3% is Amish?

pause422

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By pause422

That seems like bullshit to me....

mikevanpwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mikevanpwn
Vaxadrin said:
"That shit's crazy.  What kind of future do you guys see, knowing that in 20 or 30 years the people who run the country will be these kids, instead of these nasty grumpy old-timers?"
Yes.  The current nasty grumpy old-timers will be replaced with youthful technopoliticians. Because obviously video games will prevent any symptoms of becoming a grumpy old politician.
Clean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Clean

that doesn't surprise me at all

Bulldog19892

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By Bulldog19892
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The other 3%?"
They play with their Wiis.
Ben_H

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Ben_H
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The other 3%?"
Amish.
tekmojo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By tekmojo

yea but how many have ever beaten a gran turismo game

Arkthemaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#24  Edited By Arkthemaniac
sheisty_shogun said:
"It doesn't bother me unless the kids aren't doing anything productive or getting any exercise. Sadly, I think video games go hand in hand with obesity in a lot of cases.  There are a ton of fat kids out there. Nothing in excess people, nothing in excess."
Except, of course, poontang.
Dalai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25  Edited By Dalai

Let's give credit to Captain Obvious for conducting this survey.

Absurd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Absurd
Kush said:
Same, I mean 99% of boys?
yorro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#27  Edited By yorro

If you guys should consider cell phone games, then 99% is right.

Rowr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Rowr
pause422 said:
"That seems like bullshit to me...."
I agree, those numbers dont sound remotely realistic.

Im going to assume the question in the study was.

"Have you ever played a video game."

Even then there doesnt seem to be enough of  a percentage accounted for, for kids who dont have access to games.

OGCartman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#29  Edited By OGCartman

Lol not suprising

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Vaxadrin
mikevanpwn said:
"Yes.  The current nasty grumpy old-timers will be replaced with youthful technopoliticians. Because obviously video games will prevent any symptoms of becoming a grumpy old politician."
I think there'll be more wars because they'll be so wowed with the realistic ragdolls & particle engines when foreigners get shot & bombed.
atejas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By atejas
Vaxadrin said:
"mikevanpwn said:
"Yes.  The current nasty grumpy old-timers will be replaced with youthful technopoliticians. Because obviously video games will prevent any symptoms of becoming a grumpy old politician."
I think there'll be more wars because they'll be so wowed with the realistic ragdolls & particle engines when foreigners get shot & bombed."
Not to mention the exponential increase in unethical and potentially lethal experiments because of the off-chance that a portal will be opened to an alien dimension.
wefwefasdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#32  Edited By wefwefasdf

It doesn't necessarily state that those 97% are avid gamers though. They could have played a game once at an arcade. Personally, the article does look very well written to me either.

Vaxadrin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Vaxadrin
atejas said:
"Not to mention the exponential increase in unethical and potentially lethal experiments because of the off-chance that a portal will be opened to an alien dimension."
If that leads to confusing & arousing sex with blue tentacle head ladies, I'm ok with that.
PhilSebben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By PhilSebben

Funny Jeff mentions this poll in the most recent podcast

MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By MKHavoc

If these numbers are real, then this is really good for the future of the games industry.

Aurelito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Aurelito
Metal_Gear_Sunny said:
"The other 3%?"
They are expended into other 100%.:p
Icil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Icil
Vaxadrin said:
"atejas said:
"Not to mention the exponential increase in unethical and potentially lethal experiments because of the off-chance that a portal will be opened to an alien dimension."
If that leads to confusing & arousing sex with blue tentacle head ladies, I'm ok with that."
Am I the only one who considered fucking the religious girl? (just considered -- in the end I chose the alien)
ironhide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By ironhide

America has more than 3% of people that can't afford a video game system so that's bullshit. The study says 97% of kids play games. The question asked was probably; "Have you ever played a video game?" and the moment the kid says yes he is a video gamer in the eyes of the survey. That's like asking people over 21 if they had ever had a drink and then saying 97% of Adults drink alcohol. It's a stupid study and it's inaccurate.

PhilSebben

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PhilSebben
Ironhide said:
"America has more than 3% of people that can't afford a video game system so that's bullshit. The study says 97% of kids play games. The question asked was probably; "Have you ever played a video game?" and the moment the kid says yes he is a video gamer in the eyes of the survey. That's like asking people over 21 if they had ever had a drink and then saying 97% of Adults drink alcohol. It's a stupid study and it's inaccurate."
if you listened to the latest bombcast, Jeff would disagree with you. and do not call it a stupid & inaccurate study if you didn't even read the article!