A bunch of old PC game ports

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By GreggD

So, I figured I'd take a little time to show you guys some interesting ports that are either finished, or in the works.

Lucius' Dark Forces port: http://darkxl.wordpress.com/

Lucius' Daggerfall port: http://daggerxl.wordpress.com/

OpenGL port for the first two Descent games: http://www.dxx-rebirth.com/

And lastly, one of my favorite porting efforts, eduke32, the Duke Nukem 3D port: http://eduke32.com/

It should be noted that both of Lucius' port projects are still in the works, but they're worth keeping an eye on. I hope you guys get some use out of these, as I have.  

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#2  Edited By Video_Game_King

Wait, ports to what? These seem to be more like graphical upgrades. Interesting, but I'd be a bit more interested in seeing some of these games either being made freeware or at least being put on Live Arcade.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#3  Edited By eroticfishcake

Ooooh! Daggerfall port!

Ooooh! Duke Nukem port!

It's like Christmas in here. Looking good so far.

eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By eroticfishcake
@Video_Game_King: From the site;

"This website is for the project DaggerXL – A Modern Daggerfall Engine Recreation for current Operating Systems and hardware – essentially it is a remake in the spirit of a port. It will ultimately fully emulate the game of Daggerfall and then optionally enhance it by refining existing features and adding new gameplay elements that were originally intended. The game will make use of hardware acceleration providing higher resolutions, color depth, greatly improved visibility, better texture filtering, enhanced performance and more.

DaggerXL is be just an engine, you need the original game data to play. I will not distribute any Daggerfall assets or knowingly provide information on obtaining free copies of the game – other then the version provided by Bethesda themselves. This is a legal project, I do not intent to step on Bethesda’s toes or violate their copyrights."

Just thought I point that out to you and anyone else who wasn't fully sure (as was I for a minute).
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GreggD
@Video_Game_King: Basically, fishcake is right. Though, in this sense, it's a port to the XP and Vista platforms (32-64 bit). Hope that clears it up more.
Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#6  Edited By Video_Game_King
@GreggD said:
" @Video_Game_King: Basically, fishcake is right. Though, in this sense, it's a port to the XP and Vista platforms (32-64 bit). Hope that clears it up more. "
Pretty much, yea. However, from this new understanding arises a new question: will the original developers eventually catch wind of this? If so, what's gonna happen? Legal issues, or perhaps turning them into a team designed to port old engines to new systems?
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By eroticfishcake

It's still possible to play dos games on XP/Vista providing you know how to use DOSBOX/SCUMM but it's a bit of a headache for some people.

Besides. An updated port with some extras/bug fixes are obviously good things. Daggerfall is notorious for having a lot of bugs though...that could take a while.

GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By GreggD
@Video_Game_King said:
" @GreggD said:
" @Video_Game_King: Basically, fishcake is right. Though, in this sense, it's a port to the XP and Vista platforms (32-64 bit). Hope that clears it up more. "
Pretty much, yea. However, from this new understanding arises a new question: will the original developers eventually catch wind of this? If so, what's gonna happen? Legal issues, or perhaps turning them into a team designed to port old engines to new systems? "
Nah, that never happens. In fact, some developers (or publishers, rather) ambrace these projects, because it means people are still playing their games, after all this time. It also means that there is some kind of dedicated fanbase, which in certain cases (like Descent, for instance) might warrant a sequel of some kind. It's all positive, and nothing that any kind of legal action has been spawned from, to my knowledge.
GreggD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By GreggD
@eroticfishcake: Lucius is great at what he does. I've played through his beta for DarkXL several times, and I can confirm that he is on his shit. Of course, in this case, patience will prove to be the virtue, as he's doing this in his spare time, between work and family life.
eroticfishcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By eroticfishcake
@GreggD: Porting Daggerfall is quite a hurdle. You'll have to be mad or dedicated to peform such a feat alone (maybe I'm exaggerating). I'll trust your judgement though. As the Bulmer's ad reminds us "Good things come to those who wait". And I'm willing alright. Cheers for the headsup anyway, I'll be sure to look out for him.