A Farewell to Giant Bomb

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

msoven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Why would anyone even waste their time writing something like this when a glance at the twitter of every member of the Giant Bomb staff that I saw makes it abundantly clear that they would prefer it if you left?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#5  Edited By csl316

Best of luck, duder. I'm personally gravitating away from GB more and more each month (although it has nothing to do with politics). Starting to support more smaller patreons that target content I like more, as well.

Times change, people change, sites change. Honestly, the constant streaming has been hard to follow, and there's just too much to sift through to find what works best for me. You're not mandated to stay so enjoy yourself out there on the internet. And I appreciate your candid, calm demeanor on some really tough topics.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By BrainScratch

I already know you're going to get a ton of hate for this, but I just wanted to say I appreciated how polite you were and I believe some of your points of view are absolutely acceptable and no reason for people to attack you. I definitely feel like GB as a whole has been having it's ups and downs in regards of content (with often more downs than ups) and I can see how these things start to pile up until there's no reason to stay anymore and something happens, even if mundane, that it's the last straw. I've often felt the same way about different types of content or websites I've followed.

I also think it's possible to support the cause and still disagree with the way that specific tweet was worded. There are definitely better ways to approach this situation and things don't always have to be so black and white. That tweet and it's follow up tweet later on feels to me like a very extremist way of looking of things and a divisive take on a time when we should all be united for a bigger cause. People should be free to tweet whatever they like, but maybe it would be better for the site to only show the tweets from the main GB account or just staff tweets that have any important announcements regarding to the site.

Thank you for expressing your opinions on this, there's nothing wrong with giving some constructive criticism or feedback when thing's could be better.

Stay safe!

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I don't really agree with your position, but I appreciate that you are being respectful about it...

Godspeed

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By dirkfunk232

Who else was waiting for that "Finally," to come along?

Thanks for posting what you did GB, rooting people out at this point. This is why its a really good, if small in the grand scheme, step.

Also thanks for standing by Abby and her free speech. Keep speaking your mind Abby!

paulcrose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Imagine thinking this is a hill worth dying on.

CosmicBIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

cool who cares? If this is the breaking point then that says hell of a lot about you then anything lol.

vaiz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

That was a lot of effort to bury the lede of 'I don't agree with their opinions on cops. Peace.'

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

bye

sircpunk37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m not saying we all have to agree with the guy about everything, but he voiced his opinion calmly and politely. The least we can all do is respect that and respond with the same courtesy.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m not saying we all have to agree with the guy about everything, but he voiced his opinion calmly and politely. The least we can all do is respect that and respond with the same courtesy.

No Caption Provided

The first is a thread by a black man thanking Giant Bomb for vocalizing their position. The second is this thread.

I don't have any respect for this person and I'm glad they're leaving.

fugoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He can be respectful all he wants but this is really just some thinly veiled bullshit response to the recent events and how the crew has spoken up about it.

I'll echo earlier sentiments and say fuck off and thanks for wasting your time writing all of that nonsense. But hey you were "respectful" about it.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree with you on most of your points. Things are not black and white. We live with ambiguity and being able to talk about it without being threatened, called names, or otherwise shut down is conducive to healing.

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I already know you're going to get a ton of hate for this, but I just wanted to say I appreciated how polite you were and I believe some of your points of view are absolutely acceptable and no reason for people to attack you. I definitely feel like GB as a whole has been having it's ups and downs in regards of content (with often more downs than ups) and I can see how these things start to pile up until there's no reason to stay anymore and something happens, even if mundane, that it's the last straw. I've often felt the same way about different types of content or websites I've followed.

I also think it's possible to support the cause and still disagree with the way that specific tweet was worded. There are definitely better ways to approach this situation and things don't always have to be so black and white. That tweet and it's follow up tweet later on feels to me like a very extremist way of looking of things and a divisive take on a time when we should all be united for a bigger cause. People should be free to tweet whatever they like, but maybe it would be better for the site to only show the tweets from the main GB account or just staff tweets that have any important announcements regarding to the site.

Thank you for expressing your opinions on this, there's nothing wrong with giving some constructive criticism or feedback when thing's could be better.

Stay safe!

This 100%

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This 100%

Avatar image for deactivated-6321b685abb02
deactivated-6321b685abb02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know you but you expressed yourself in a cogent, respectful way and that's in dwindling supply around here lately so it seems a shame. Try not to let the hateful trolls get to you, all the best duder.

EDIT: It seems the bad shit has been removed after my posting.

DrBroel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

@sircpunk37 said:

I would agree with that sentiment if it didn't subtly re-enforce the status quo.

bta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You so easily could have just not said that last bit... sounds like good riddance, then.

Choosing to become a cop is nothing like those other things you complained about the “generalizing” of, come on. You don’t just end up as one.

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Please do keep your comments here civil.

sircpunk37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@drbroel: How so? If I’m missing something obvious here, that’s my bad.

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone remembers 9/11 and where they were when it happened. It was 9/11. The sacrifices made that day doesn’t excuse the police’s history of oppression and recent violence against black people.

ape_dosmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@frustratedlnc said:

Things are not black and white. We live with ambiguity and being able to talk about it without being threatened, called names, or otherwise shut down is conducive to healing.

I couldn't agree more with this. Well said.

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I didn't know you but you expressed yourself in a cogent, respectful way and that's in dwindling supply around here lately so it seems a shame. Try not to let the hateful trolls get to you, all the best duder.

100% again

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By dirkfunk232

White people should be challenged right now. You can see it by their reactions to free speech here on GB. This is all good. Thanks Abby.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By dirkfunk232

@robertforster: apologies misread your post. Edited. I'm with you. Well said! 19 years ago now.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"everything is not black and white" is a bullshit sentiment that doesn't serve to "encourage an ongoing dialogue" or "bridge the gaps between us" or any other kumbaya nonsense. It shuts down conclusions made by others and maintains the status quo by allowing the speaker to look thoughtful because they haven't reached any of their own.

Everyone saying that the police state is fundamentally founded on and designed to enact brutality on minorities and poor people has reached the only logical, humane conclusion. Feel free to use your own brain to come to your own. Anyone who has come to no conclusion at this point, asserting that things are not black and white, is choosing not to think because it's inconvenient for them.

strack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By strack

Wow, some of these responses are lacking any nuance what so ever.

Look, Abby can say what she wants but anyone who would like to sit here and argue that what she said is true is being dishonest or reactionary. We need more good people becoming cops to get in there and fight to change things on the inside as well as pressure from the outside. We need the good ones that are there to help weed out the trash. Saying that basically everyone who stays in the force is racist and only there to help white people is just blatantly false.

I get it she is pissed. A lot of us are but while anger can be an amazing driving force, it still requires calm guidance to accomplish anything useful.

dexterslu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone has a right to express their opinion -- it is their god-given liberty as an American and I would defend to the end their privilege to do so. However, I have the right to my opinion too, and Giant Bomb is not entitled to my time or money, thus I am speaking with my feet.

Except Abby? Got it. See ya duder.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Everyone, seriously, got take a walk and cool off. If you can’t take a walk, do some deep breathing. Nothing good has been accomplished these last 2 days with these threads.

dirkfunk232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By dirkfunk232

@htr10: if people can't stand free speech of the GB staff and standing up for equality, them leaving is not bad at all. Abby has been hated by some since she's been here and this is nothing new. Proud of her.

Been walking in the streets with my brothers and sisters the last few days and some of us CANT BREATHE.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 45

#42  Edited By Slag

Actions speak louder than words @soego. You have nice words about caring about racial injustice and actions proving you will defend Police.

You also chose to drop this verbal grenade in the forums instead of privately communicating it to staff whilst abandoning the thread and all responsibility for what you left behind immediately.

With that in mind, it's hard for me to believe you mean what you say about reform.

I don't know you, all I can know is what've you've shown us in your brief interactions here. All I can say is I hope you act on what've you said about racial injustice. If you mean it, at least put your money where your mouth is.

I figure you've got at least $60 to spare now. I hope you give it to BLM

EDIT: or Minnesota Freedom Fund
https://minnesotafreedomfund.org/

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

If you can watch all the footage that's come out from the last few days and not understand someone's anger when they say fuck the police, then see ya

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

Peace, duder. You’ll always have a place here if you decide to come back.

strack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@flatblack: Anyone who isn’t angry has something wrong with them. That doesn’t mean what she said was true though. I think that is the issue people are having.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth said:

Wow, some of these responses are lacking any nuance what so ever.

Look, Abby can say what she wants but anyone who would like to sit here and argue that what she said is true is being dishonest or reactionary. We need more good people becoming cops to get in there and fight to change things on the inside as well as pressure from the outside. We need the good ones that are there to help weed out the trash. Saying that basically everyone who stays in the force is racist and only there to help white people is just blatantly false.

I get it she is pissed. A lot of us are but while anger can be an amazing driving force, it still requires calm guidance to accomplish anything useful.

Feel free to crack a book on this subject before asserting this kind of delusional bullshit is probable, let alone possible. Or you could just go watch more cop shows, up to you

flatblack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth: So? It's not Abby's responsibility to speak to everyone's individual truth

confusedowl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I respect the Giantbomb staff even more for not staying silent and it reinforces why I love this site and its community. Nobody should be silent about whats going on right now.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 2

This reminds me I need to write an essay to the Heinz community telling them why I will instead be using Hunt's brand ketchup from here on out.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"I don't like these protests that are going on but I will definitely make a thread announcing my own personal protest. Mine is more valid, somehow."