A Farewell to Giant Bomb

• 61 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

BrainScratch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dirkfunk232:

You know what. You got me good there. You got me good.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

@brainscratch said:

I already know you're going to get a ton of hate for this, but I just wanted to say I appreciated how polite you were and I believe some of your points of view are absolutely acceptable and no reason for people to attack you. I definitely feel like GB as a whole has been having it's ups and downs in regards of content (with often more downs than ups) and I can see how these things start to pile up until there's no reason to stay anymore and something happens, even if mundane, that it's the last straw. I've often felt the same way about different types of content or websites I've followed.

I also think it's possible to support the cause and still disagree with the way that specific tweet was worded. There are definitely better ways to approach this situation and things don't always have to be so black and white. That tweet and it's follow up tweet later on feels to me like a very extremist way of looking of things and a divisive take on a time when we should all be united for a bigger cause. People should be free to tweet whatever they like, but maybe it would be better for the site to only show the tweets from the main GB account or just staff tweets that have any important announcements regarding to the site.

Thank you for expressing your opinions on this, there's nothing wrong with giving some constructive criticism or feedback when thing's could be better.

Stay safe!

This 100%

Yup and I couldn't agree more with OP. Thanks for writing that up. I might have resubbed for the last time and would like to expand my own thoughts on all this, but a lot of people here seem to be extrapolating disturbing assertions from a position that isn't even moderate in the slightest. No wonder the divide in the US has turned into the grand canyon.

belgo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bye crappy person

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By Efesell

I understand if you have personal feelings mixed up in these things, and that it may make it hard to accept certain attitudes because of it.

I would urge that you try your best to look at reality as it is happening before you, at what is happening now. Understand that it's been happening that way all along just maybe a little further beneath the surface.

Just ask and answer yourself as honestly as you can.. whether or not those feelings and respect are actually deserved.

ElDranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: She was angry and reactionary and said something that just isn’t true.

Her first quote “The NYPD are white supremacists and the system needs to be dismantled."

So, you are telling me that every cop in the entire NYPD is a white supremacist?

Her second statement “Any good the cops have done was in service to white people and white power. The system is racist and your uncle should quit.”

No cop in the NYPD has ever done anything that didn’t directly benefit a white person? Also untrue.

Look, I get it people are angry. You and her both sound pissed and should be but that doesn’t make what she said true.

How about something like this instead:

"The police force has a systemic issue where they target minorities that HAS to be addressed and changed. This is no longer acceptable in any way shape or form. That we even need to have this discussion is disgusting and reflects a deep failure in us. Thank you to those in the force who are trying to do the right thing and make the system fair and just for everyone. We are behind you."

It accomplishes the same goal but is more productive and makes the doubters out there stop and listen in a way that blind accusations don’t. We are on the same side on this, I just don’t feel like it is helpful to make broad generalizations that alienate people who are actually trying to do right.

RobertOrri

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#57  Edited By RobertOrri

It's almost like twitter was made for (and encourages) people to post their immediate, current thoughts and not to write nuanced essays. Huh.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth: Engaging in some truly top tier "Well Actually" shit is not that much of a balm, I must say.

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth: You don't join the KKK to try and fix it. You don't stay at the KKK after you realize what it stands for unless you're okay with it. The NYPD is a white supremacist organization and any participants therein are complicit, whether or not they themselves believe that they are white supremacists. This is semantics. You don't agree, whatever, but THAT is the fact.

ElDranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By ElDranth

@flatblack: You are right about that. I do think she should speak her truth. I am certainly not upset over what she said and decided to go ahead and extend my membership after seeing people leaving over it.

That still doesn't make what she said factual.

Guess what I am saying is she could have said the same thing in a different way and done much more for the cause. As you said though, it is her truth and she absolutely has a right to speak it.

Avatar image for genericgirlname
GenericGirlName

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By GenericGirlName

@eldranth said:

@kcin: She was angry and reactionary and said something that just isn’t true.

Her first quote “The NYPD are white supremacists and the system needs to be dismantled."

So, you are telling me that every cop in the entire NYPD is a white supremacist?

Her second statement “Any good the cops have done was in service to white people and white power. The system is racist and your uncle should quit.”

No cop in the NYPD has ever done anything that didn’t directly benefit a white person? Also untrue.

Look, I get it people are angry. You and her both sound pissed and should be but that doesn’t make what she said true.

How about something like this instead:

"The police force has a systemic issue where they target minorities that HAS to be addressed and changed. This is no longer acceptable in any way shape or form. That we even need to have this discussion is disgusting and reflects a deep failure in us. Thank you to those in the force who are trying to do the right thing and make the system fair and just for everyone. We are behind you."

It accomplishes the same goal but is more productive and makes the doubters out there stop and listen in a way that blind accusations don’t. We are on the same side on this, I just don’t feel like it is helpful to make broad generalizations that alienate people who are actually trying to do right.

Systemic attacking of minorities with the intent to disenfranchise them either politically (stop them from protesting) or economically (The costly process of detaining, arresting, and jailing them) is also White Supremacy. The police (especially in NYC, but as we can see, in all 49 other states as well) are specifically working as bad actors to perpetuate White Supremacy. The question "But how can ALL of the NYPD be white supremacists?" doesn't respect that as a cop it is your job to be a cop. To uphold white supremacy. To stop and frisk minorities or those who seem in support of them, to humiliate them, to make them stop protesting, to arrest them.

As a black person who has been stopped by the NYPD in threatening situations for being black while a teen, in the city I had lived in my whole life, by cops of many colors: The NYPD is a white supremacist organization. As is the rest of the police system in the united states. When cops put on their uniforms they. Are Cops. And All Cops Are Bastards. We need to change what cops are fundamentally. This will not happen through reform, which the police's Union and leaders will not support for many reasoning including money (massive budget) and power (military surplus gear). This can only happen by dismantling the system they function in.

DT9k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah yeah you're a regular Martin Luther. "Quitting" a website in protest while people are getting gassed for actually protesting is infantile. You don't work here, you dork. There's nothing to quit. You're standing on a McDonald's table attempting some sort of "no true Scotsman" shit instead of just leaving.

ElDranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I don’t disagree with that but if you are trying to get through to people now a days, going over the top and absolutist is the quickest way to shut down any real progress.

Again, I agree with her sentiment, I disagree with her statement.

frustratedlnc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: No, you're right. Every single NYPD officer is a nazi that should be exterminated. Thank you for your nuanced take on the situation.

MisterReese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66  Edited By MisterReese

respectfully and civility, OP, this was a bad and corny post

cops are attacking peaceful protesters... if you don't like that people are mad about it, keep it to yourself

ElDranth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kcin: I see what you are saying if you are looking at it from that point of view then I am probably not going to change your mind nor am I sure I should but let me just say this.

The KKK is a group formed entirely to do nothing but promote white supremacy. It is the reason for its existence. The NYPD is a public, government run organization that has become overrun with elements that allow the kind of shitty, disgusting behavior and actions we have been seeing for years now.

To me, one is fixable, one is not. One we want to eliminate, the other we want to purge.

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The number of people saying good riddance and insulting to poster who respectfully said his peace and agrees with and supported Blackout Tuesday and Brads post is alarming and disappointing. I imagine I will get some similar sentiment for this post.

Those glad GB has "rooted people out" are missing the point that these people and their opinions still exist and now so many are piling on to say good riddance you are losing a chance to find any discourse with people, many may have common ground with your concerns. Is Giant Bomb a gaming site only for those with your views and only people who agree 100% with you? I am NOT saying keep politics out of GB, just that if you want to talk politics you have to be prepared to have people with somewhat different views discuss theirs too. Not many are engaging thoughtfully with the post which is sad. He isn't shouting white lives matter or blue lives matter.

He SAID: "I want major reform with the police forces in the US too. I support demilitarization of police, better and mandatory training (including on identifying bias), reform of corrupt unions, harsher accountability for officers that use force, and always-on body cameras, just to name a few things. I think all four officers involved in Mr Floyd's death belong in prison. Hell, I don't think police officers should even carry firearms.Systemic racism and subconscious biases are problems that need to be fixed now with real, actionable reform, but the comments I saw in the tweets are not the way. Generalizing people, whether it be based on race, religion, gender, or politics, will accomplish nothing" and most of the posters say good riddance bootlicker...?

Update: Seems some of the worst comments have been removed by mods (thank you for that mods) although some "good riddance" and "only my view is right and humane" and some implying he attacked Abbys right to free speech (when he explicitly did not, just stated his disagreement) still remains...

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth: Do you believe that there was some sense of nobility to the formation of the NYPD or other police institutions?

They have only ever existed to protect very specific things, and you only get a couple guesses at what those are.

Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Crazy_Tinker

@crazy_tinker said:
@brainscratch said:

I already know you're going to get a ton of hate for this, but I just wanted to say I appreciated how polite you were and I believe some of your points of view are absolutely acceptable and no reason for people to attack you. I definitely feel like GB as a whole has been having it's ups and downs in regards of content (with often more downs than ups) and I can see how these things start to pile up until there's no reason to stay anymore and something happens, even if mundane, that it's the last straw. I've often felt the same way about different types of content or websites I've followed.

I also think it's possible to support the cause and still disagree with the way that specific tweet was worded. There are definitely better ways to approach this situation and things don't always have to be so black and white. That tweet and it's follow up tweet later on feels to me like a very extremist way of looking of things and a divisive take on a time when we should all be united for a bigger cause. People should be free to tweet whatever they like, but maybe it would be better for the site to only show the tweets from the main GB account or just staff tweets that have any important announcements regarding to the site.

Thank you for expressing your opinions on this, there's nothing wrong with giving some constructive criticism or feedback when thing's could be better.

Stay safe!

This 100%

Yup and I couldn't agree more with OP. Thanks for writing that up. I might have resubbed for the last time and would like to expand my own thoughts on all this, but a lot of people here seem to be extrapolating disturbing assertions from a position that isn't even moderate in the slightest. No wonder the divide in the US has turned into the grand canyon.

Exactly

kcin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71  Edited By kcin
Crazy_Tinker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@eldranth said:

@efesell: I don’t disagree with that but if you are trying to get through to people now a days, going over the top and absolutist is the quickest way to shut down any real progress.

Again, I agree with her sentiment, I disagree with her statement.

Well said

rorie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#74 rorie  Staff