AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By AssInAss

http://killscreendaily.com/headlines/art-game-judges-your-body/

A young woman models an elaborate dress in front of a shadowy and judgmental audience. As she contorts her body into increasingly untenable positions, the audience rewards her with their approval. If she stops, they scowl, then leave.
This isn’t a description of a fashion show. It’s the premise of the new Kinect game and art installation, A Fitting, which asks players to put themselves in physical pain to gain the admiration of others.
Creators Amanda Dittami and Blair Kuhlman, both of the Interactive Arts and Media Department at Columbia College Chicago, wanted to make a game that reflected a young woman’s painful experience of trying to feel attractive in a society that sets impossible standards for beauty. It’s a social experiment, and for Dittami, 24, a personal one.
“I think about this issue every day,” she says. “It used to be worse, but just getting dressed and putting on makeup, I think about it. That’s one of the reasons it was so important to make the game.”
Kuhlman and Dittami worked with modern dancers to create poses that become more and more difficult to hold over time. They created a distinct late-Victorian aesthetic for the game that, Dittami says, suggests a sense of “uncomfortable elegance.” The game is on display at Columbia starting today, and will travel with the Art Works for Change exhibit Off the Beaten Path: Violence, Women and Art later this year.
Dittami calls A Fitting “an endless game”, but that’s not strictly true. If players stop posing altogether, leave and return to the Kinect’s field of view, the perspective of the game changes. It shows the female protagonist for the first time, through her own eyes, as she really is.

o_0

A Fitting: Studio Exhibition

There's a Kickstarter, too (watch the video there).

That's really interesting, and will work really well with Kinect since it's better at judging body position (Dance Central) than gestures (Steel Battalion).

Very well-timed game with the buzz around female values in our industry.

Imagine trying to do the ridiculous poses you see from sexualised female characters in games, would be insane!

Prototype Video:

flasaltine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By flasaltine

Is every fucking game on kickstarter now?

NMC2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By NMC2008

@Flacracker said:

Is every fucking game on kickstarter now?

yes

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

Why not just call it Social Commentary: Social Norms Exist To Ruin You Life - The Game: Reloaded?

tourgen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By tourgen

include a copy of Kama Sutra and make sure it can recog two figures. rolling in the cash. Score the accuracy of the position and have xbox live leaderboards.

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#6  Edited By MooseyMcMan

So is the point of this that a Quick Look of this "game" would be hilarious?

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7  Edited By Animasta

@MooseyMcMan said:

in all honesty it'd probably just fail ryan over and over for being too fat considering the aim of the game

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Animasta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

in all honesty it'd probably just fail ryan over and over for being too fat considering the aim of the game

Vinny and Brad could probably not instantly fail it.

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Animasta

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Animasta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

but patrick would be the best at it

MooseyMcMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By MooseyMcMan

@Animasta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

@Animasta said:

@MooseyMcMan said:

but patrick would be the best at it

Yes! How did I forget Patrick?

AssInAss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By AssInAss

If you're good at Dance Central like Sara Lima, you'll be great at this. But you have to hold the pose for 15-20 seconds which would hurt (I guess, the point of the game).

BoG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12  Edited By BoG

I like the concept of this game. It doesn't look particulalrly... entertaining, but this utilizes the medium to address an issue in a unique way. A display at a university is probably better than a commercial release, though.

salarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By salarn

As the risk of dropping my monocle, it's an interactive art exhibit, not a game. While it has some trappings of a game, I wouldn't strictly classify it as such.

laserbolts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By laserbolts

Wow this seems extremely dumb for a game.

TheHumanDove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By TheHumanDove

I think even flakey artist types will pass on this one

JasonR86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#16  Edited By JasonR86

Better title; "Sucks to be a Woman huh?: The Game"

tunaburn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By tunaburn

game looks dumb. but that chick playing was hot

Zereta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Zereta

This seems like something I could see for like $5 or free on a potential more open XBL marketplace.

Its an interesting piece of interactive 'entertainment'. But with the way the current ecosystem works on the Xbox, it has no place here.

Edit: besides, the Kickstarter for this 'game' is not for it to be finished and released, its for the game to be showed at some exhibition. I can respect that. This thing is definitely more a showpiece of ideas than an actual game.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By RazielCuts

'So you/re fat. You already knew that but I thought I'd point it out. Y'know, just so it was obvious, sure why not. Fat isn't the perfect body image people have. Have you not seen Hollywood or Movies? Then don't you feel ashamed? No? Well damn, what am I doing here then? You SURE you don't feel bad about being fat? I can measure you again you know, just to make sure you really got it. Because you know, I didn't figure you look in the mirror at all everyday and realise these things yourself and feel super bad about it but other people pointing things out you already knew about yourself makes you feel more pro active to do something about it right? No? It actually makes you go deeper in the shell and try and forget about it? Weird' The Game.

BraveToaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#20  Edited By BraveToaster

The should change the title to "What You Twerkin' With?"