A Massive Incoherent Rant on "Online Gaming".

limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

Edited By limewizard

Bah humbug to you all. I'm in a pissy mood, and I will be until... York introduces himself properly. And with pissy moods comes a really hard to find the point I'm making blog rant.
Enough references. 
I'm annoyed, fed up, and just generally burned on the whole, "online gaming" side of my collection. The only decent game I've played online for a while was TF2 - but even that has its limits. Modern Warfare 2 is just boring to sit and stare at. Honestly, I'll get one good game, and then boosh! I just rage quit. BioShock 2 is fun, but it's really, really hard to find a decent game. Halo 3 and Reach are my bag. Or... were? I was pretty good at Halo 3 when I snagged a copy. I enjoyed the pure freedom to be creative with some of the maps, (read; Fly mongoose half way across cavern and land on a team of two.) Reach was fun for the first week, - and again - but I'm just plainly fed up with the boring matches of 1 CTF on Sword Base. I have plenty of fun with L4D2, but my Xbawks is incredibly faulty, and won't read it half the time. (At least it accounts achievements, unlike Halo!) Usually, I'd go back to CoD4 or even WaW. But I'm so burnt on the whole Call of Duty franchise, there is no incentive to go back. Lost Planet 2 demo was fun, and I guess I could get into it, (guess what word is coming next,) but, that means I have to purchase the single player, and I really despised that with a passion. I bet your saying, "You play a fuck load of FPS games! Get some originality!" I would. I really would. I'm not a massive fan of Forza 3, or many racing games, I find third person online games to be a little more... meh feeling. Gears of War online never felt right. I'd go to my extensive list of Steam games, and pick out the obscurities I picked up in the sales, but my laptop is really struggling at the moment, and a game can last me about 15 minutes before it'll over heat. So that crosses that out from the possibilities of games I could play.  

Another gripe I'm having with the online gaming, is that it really shows, how bad I can be. Not only in skill, but also in behaviour. More and more recently I've found myself rage quitting, throwing controllers, shouting obscenities into microphones and the works. And I'm sure I'm not alone on this statement, but, online gaming is another world. People are just too good sometimes. It can be incredibly frustrating to know, this game of MW2 is going to end in a loss, because someone is there, pulling off 360 degree headshots from a million miles away! Or hackers! Goddamn they are rife! You'll see the arse flying into the sky, and sitting inside a roof, just raining hell. Campers are another thing I despise. How can anyone find it fun, to sit in a spawn point, and kill people at a disadvantage? How can it be fun to waste your time in the game, sitting in one spot waiting for the odd person to pass by? Sure, by all means camp if your a sniper, and you think it'll help you pick some people off. But just don't stay in the exact spot for the whole game, dying, running back, dying and rinsing and repeating. Please. I can live with the kiddies. We were all one of those at some point.  

I guess, though. I really enjoy a good story and solid single player. Both BioShock games were superb, as were the Mass Effect games. In fact, so much so, I've permanently scarred my ME1 and 2 discs with a black sharpie, (on the front of course,) so that I'll never sell them. I guess I could finish Dead Space, but chapter four is an arse.   

So, as you can tell, I'm truly burnt out from the online scene. I won't stop playing, that be daft. I enjoy the odd match of MW2, I just hate it's guts for other reasons. I enjoy the odd match of Halo, but I can't play the same match type over and over. I would enjoy BioShock 2's multiplayer, if I could find a game. I hate the fact online gaming promotes how shit you are at a game, and if you aren't willing to have the patience to rack up enough skill, you are shunned and left to the dogs of finding something else. It's quite depressing. 

If you have a suggestion as to what I should check out, please drop a comment.  

Also, to add. I have little, to no patience for MMORPGs. If you've seen Zero Punctuation, you can pretty much gather, I have the same views.

limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By limewizard

Bah humbug to you all. I'm in a pissy mood, and I will be until... York introduces himself properly. And with pissy moods comes a really hard to find the point I'm making blog rant.
Enough references. 
I'm annoyed, fed up, and just generally burned on the whole, "online gaming" side of my collection. The only decent game I've played online for a while was TF2 - but even that has its limits. Modern Warfare 2 is just boring to sit and stare at. Honestly, I'll get one good game, and then boosh! I just rage quit. BioShock 2 is fun, but it's really, really hard to find a decent game. Halo 3 and Reach are my bag. Or... were? I was pretty good at Halo 3 when I snagged a copy. I enjoyed the pure freedom to be creative with some of the maps, (read; Fly mongoose half way across cavern and land on a team of two.) Reach was fun for the first week, - and again - but I'm just plainly fed up with the boring matches of 1 CTF on Sword Base. I have plenty of fun with L4D2, but my Xbawks is incredibly faulty, and won't read it half the time. (At least it accounts achievements, unlike Halo!) Usually, I'd go back to CoD4 or even WaW. But I'm so burnt on the whole Call of Duty franchise, there is no incentive to go back. Lost Planet 2 demo was fun, and I guess I could get into it, (guess what word is coming next,) but, that means I have to purchase the single player, and I really despised that with a passion. I bet your saying, "You play a fuck load of FPS games! Get some originality!" I would. I really would. I'm not a massive fan of Forza 3, or many racing games, I find third person online games to be a little more... meh feeling. Gears of War online never felt right. I'd go to my extensive list of Steam games, and pick out the obscurities I picked up in the sales, but my laptop is really struggling at the moment, and a game can last me about 15 minutes before it'll over heat. So that crosses that out from the possibilities of games I could play.  

Another gripe I'm having with the online gaming, is that it really shows, how bad I can be. Not only in skill, but also in behaviour. More and more recently I've found myself rage quitting, throwing controllers, shouting obscenities into microphones and the works. And I'm sure I'm not alone on this statement, but, online gaming is another world. People are just too good sometimes. It can be incredibly frustrating to know, this game of MW2 is going to end in a loss, because someone is there, pulling off 360 degree headshots from a million miles away! Or hackers! Goddamn they are rife! You'll see the arse flying into the sky, and sitting inside a roof, just raining hell. Campers are another thing I despise. How can anyone find it fun, to sit in a spawn point, and kill people at a disadvantage? How can it be fun to waste your time in the game, sitting in one spot waiting for the odd person to pass by? Sure, by all means camp if your a sniper, and you think it'll help you pick some people off. But just don't stay in the exact spot for the whole game, dying, running back, dying and rinsing and repeating. Please. I can live with the kiddies. We were all one of those at some point.  

I guess, though. I really enjoy a good story and solid single player. Both BioShock games were superb, as were the Mass Effect games. In fact, so much so, I've permanently scarred my ME1 and 2 discs with a black sharpie, (on the front of course,) so that I'll never sell them. I guess I could finish Dead Space, but chapter four is an arse.   

So, as you can tell, I'm truly burnt out from the online scene. I won't stop playing, that be daft. I enjoy the odd match of MW2, I just hate it's guts for other reasons. I enjoy the odd match of Halo, but I can't play the same match type over and over. I would enjoy BioShock 2's multiplayer, if I could find a game. I hate the fact online gaming promotes how shit you are at a game, and if you aren't willing to have the patience to rack up enough skill, you are shunned and left to the dogs of finding something else. It's quite depressing. 

If you have a suggestion as to what I should check out, please drop a comment.  

Also, to add. I have little, to no patience for MMORPGs. If you've seen Zero Punctuation, you can pretty much gather, I have the same views.

Christabel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Christabel

Maybe... you could take a break from gaming altogether? 

Or is that just crazy.

Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#3  Edited By Brians
@limewizard:  Avoid online gaming I do and am much better for it. Single Player is where it's at.
limewizard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By limewizard
@Christabel: Madness! My god. Gaming is literally my only hobby. I'm not a very healthy person. But who cares? 

@Briguile: I do try. But, when I finish a campaign, I really see no need to go back. Achievements aren't a big draw either. So I just go back to getting frustrated till the next game comes along.
Brians

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5  Edited By Brians
@limewizard:  I don't know maybe try something new that you didn't think you'd like. I am playing Guild Wars which while being online is not exactly an mmo, all you have to do is buy a copy of the game, no monthly fees, can play their long campaigns solo or with friends. It sounds like you need to do less xbox gaming and a little more pc gaming in my opinion. I know you said no to MMO's but Guild Wars is like Borderlands where it's kind of online. Find some pc games you like my final take.
MikkaQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By MikkaQ

I'm sorry to say this blog made me want to try Halo again for the first time in like 2 years. It is kinda different than the MW2, BCBF2 style of shooter. Sure it feels old and dated, but the physics, and vehicle action was pretty crazy. 

And why not try other games that aren't FPS, Racing or Third Person games, that are easier to jump in? Like fighting games, or whatever. Though you say you don't like how it's hard when people are too strong, why not try co-op oriented games like Borderlands?

Famov

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Famov

Online games can be fun, but the best multiplayer gaming will always be 4+ people in the same room together. I do both, because the latter is much more difficult to find time for.
Genjai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Genjai
@limewizard: Well griped.  I tend to agree with you regarding online gaming throwing you to the wolves. I tend to shy away from online gaming for that reason. If I ever play online, it will only be for a day or two at a time, until I get my fill and move on to something else. 

I like story, and I like progression. Sure, many online systems now have progression built in, but it's usually so repetitive. I've always liked RPG's for that reason - I can progress at my own pace and move the story to a more interesting area if I get bored. I would enjoy some competition with people, but the handful of people who have mastered each game ruin it for me.
Metroid545

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Metroid545
@Christabel: YOU CRAZY