A modest proposal. Change "game of the year" to "gameS of the year"

• 58 results
BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Disclaimer-This is only one duders opinion, and not meant to spawn a "GB must do what I say!' discussion. I'd appreciate if anyone responding (pro or con) can also abide by the "This is just a suggestion, we are not the staff, its their baby please respect who gets final call on this stuff".

That said. I won't claim to be the originator of this idea, but in short it goes something like this. "Instead of spending countless hours tearing down all the best games that came out in a given year..why not just talk about what you loved about the best games instead?"

Cut back on the end of year crunch time of staff feeling like they can't attack a game unless they have played it. Cut back on the stress and community angst. etc. You wouldn't even need to dismantle the entire thing, having one big "Best game of the year" discussion to cap it off can be fun, heated debate and salt is fun in limited doses. I just don't feel that a lot of fun categories fit the cut-throat nature of the talks. "Best Video Game world to live in" would be a great round-table topic..but not through the lens of "We need to stick a very specific definition, there has to be one right answer". A lot of interesting debates, dicussions and etc left off the table, IMO, when forced into that format.

Likewise, staff has a very large diversity in opinion, now more then ever. Its no fun to see someones favorite game, and them, cut down by the majority, especially when you enjoyed that game too. Its especially not fun content when the arguments devolve into "I'm not a fan of this studio, game genre, art style, music genre, and reject a game based purely on that".

Now, is such rejection invalid? No, not at all. But for something where the idea is to celebrate and discussion/reminisce about "The best games of X year" it really sucks when it could just as easily fit the genre of "Lets tear down all the best games of this year, even the one that ranks #1".

That's it. I get that we see a good deal of this in personal top-10's. I just feel like being able to hear everyone on staff gush about their favorite games in a given year, even if no one else like or played them, is the kind of content I am looking for in end of the year post-holiday debate.

Maybe its that in 2018, arguments and disagreements and tearing down other people's opinions brings no joy, but sharing and celebrating diversity does too me. But that's how I see it.

As I said up top. Just my opinion, I don't expect GB staff to just go "This guy knows what's up lets do everything he says" and, hopefully, neither does anyone else who might use this as a "Oh yeah I'd like to see X in Goty/GB content in general". Its just little ole me giving what I hope is constructive criticism/feedback. I'd welcome people with completely different opinions to weigh in too.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By IVDAMKE

GOTY would be such a non-factor for me if it was just a "here's what I liked, lets go home."

The best part about it being an illogical comparison between all games of that year is it makes people bat hard for what they believe. The argument is the best part, listening to them dig deep into individual moments that might have been personally special to them and using it as an anchor point for their view is where the gold is.

If no one had to make a case for their games, it'd be like listening to a super cut of all the weekly podcasts but limited to only the positive games.

To me almost every instance where you said "Its no fun" is exactly when the GOTY content is fun.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I need the knives.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 9

I personally would love a return to video Top 10s, along with one (or maybe a small handful) of podcasts where they each just talk about games they really enjoyed and sell everyone on them plus the video content they've been doing during GotY for the last couple years. The deliberation podcasts just seem to drain the energy out of all of them and take time away for more creative and fun features they could do while they are all together in the same place.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I highly suspect there is an equal, valid, amount views on both ends of this issue. I had just never shared mine in a big post iirc. After seeing the 10 year celebration splash page, I recalled my thoughts re: goty. If memory serves, they had mentioned internal discussion about changing up the format? On Twitter or ..a early podcast in 2018. Hopefully, whatever they decide, they are happy.

Avatar image for deactivated-60481185a779c
deactivated-60481185a779c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

There can only be one

bybeach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've lost track of what GB's game of the year, or even top ten, is supposed to be, if they don't really agree about it in their heart of hearts.. That is, what does Giant Bomb's 'Game of the Year' really mean, if you are speaking of Giant Bomb as a singular Entity? Minus the user base in this instance.

I'm all for their personal top tens though. Very much so.

And I do realize my position isn't going to find much traction. It's just how I personally felt after the last Game of the Year deliberations, and I still feel that way.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I would at least like them to try your idea OP. Something needs to change I think that's clear.

mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By mike

There needs to be a single winner so I can enjoy the meltdowns from people who get irrationally angry that their favorite game didn't win.

JJWeatherman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 16

#10  Edited By JJWeatherman

So, I know Jeff has said this many times, but the whole idea behind the GotY deliberation podcasts is to be transparent toward the GB community. They do it to show how they've come to their decision as a site on a list of ten games, and the arguments for why they're ranked as they are.

I can totally understand if this isn't what some people really want out of content, though. That stance is perfectly valid, and anecdotally it seems that less and less people are really on board for these kinds of deliberations. That said, it's achieving the goal it's meant to achieve. Now it's up to the staff to decide if their original intent of transparency still holds the same level of importance with their audience. To me, it does. I'm interested to hear the process. That doesn't mean I wouldn't also welcome some of the emphasis of GotY placed elsewhere, with more positive, celebratory tones.

As it is, the deliberation podcasts are pretty much the thing when it comes to GotY. That's the way it's kinda always been here, but that doesn't mean it couldn't change. I think there's plenty of room to strike a better balance with GotY content. I have confidence that they'll figure that out.

Regardless of what changes or doesn't, here's to ten more years of silly video game rankings.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#11  Edited By Onemanarmyy

Honestly, I enjoy the entertainment spectacle of the whole thing. Alliances form and get broken up. Nonsensical justifications are made to put one game higher than another. People get heated, people get defeated, people dance in joy. There's just a lot of emotion happening in those things. There's nothing quite like it. I might be a bad person, but i like it when people go to battle for a thing with the idea that they can straight up be defeated :D .

I also feel like the categorical lens of these awards is potentially more interesting and indepth than people just saying why they like a few games a lot. When there are no stakes, people will hardly push back or question the reasons for liking a game. Why would they push back against a monologue that contains all the reasons that the game was special to that person? Surely they put all the things that they felt were important in that speech already. I just fear that it would be quite lifeless if they did it that way.

When people have to win or lose something, suddenly there's a reason to dig a bit further. Uncover new viewpoints in which a game was really cool, while also offering a different perspective when some of these things were not as cool or fun to another person. Perhaps even uncovering what the underlaying reasons & assumptions are for those differences in opinion.

I think it's cool that we can talk about Brad defending destiny against the haters. Or Ori forever being that game with the amazing music that no one likes because it's orchestral instead of synths-based. I always look forward to adding moments like that to my GOTY memories. Frankly, if everyone had a prepared presentation of the quality that Austin delivered on Invisible Ink (another one of those heated classics) , i can see a shake up being quite cool, but i just don't think that it's a natural fit for the GB crew. They're so used to discussing live of the cuff, that it just wouldn't work out as you would want it to be. Them being able to discuss , be insightful, funny & improvise off the cuff is one of their forte's; It would be a shame to limit that.

That said, i do feel like they need to know upfront what the awards actually mean. Best worldbuilding & best story were quite messy. Honestly, last year most narrative categories were somewhat dissapointing to me. If you want to have 4 or 5 narrative categories, it's probably because you want to zoom in on these different aspects of storytelling. Instead, most people kept putting their favorite stories in each of these categories without any extended reasoning why the game also fits that PARTICULAR category. Often it was put on the line with a 'well.. we've already talked about this game before...` kind of statement. Or the same argument over and over for multiple awards. You can definitly make the argument that the best story is the one told by the most believable characters in the best realized world, but at that point you probably don't need 5 narrative categories.

Either define the awards very clearly so they actually stand for something, or create a few awards that have hardly any overlap. It's supposed to be somewhat entertaining, so try to steer away from situations where the leading argument is repeated multiple times. Highlight different aspects of the games you love!

PS. I also feel like it could get quite redundant to just reading everyone's top 10. If the reasons for liking a game are not in the text already, you probably won't find them in the podcast neither. They could expand a bit on the text perhaps, but honestly i think GB is at it's best when discussions suddenly pop up, and there's a good amount of back & forth instead of them preparing extensive statements. The intention to still have that back & forth might still be there with your preposed change, but i just don't think people would really care as much to share their opinions. Especially if they know they get to gush about their favorite games at a later point already. I quite enjoy the metagame of the lists slowly revealing which games are on course to end up high. People talking about crewmembers that can potentially get a game to rise up in the rankings , and then being surprised by that game ending up low. At the end, naturally, the actual list deviates from the ranked average of all the personal lists. That stuff is entertaining .

hans_maulwurf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Seeing how a lot of the positive arguments - especially last year - didn't seem to go much further than "it's a really good game, it's very fun and I enjoyed it a lot", I'd much rather see them tear down other games, since those arguments are usually better elaborated and generally more entertaining to listen to. It'd also probably become a pretty lifeless affair without the drama.

Hyuzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

I've been thinking recently how they could probably cut down on the total time it takes to record GOTY if they allowed up to 5 games in a category instead of always having 3. Not every category should necessarily have 5 games/items if people didn't feel strongly about something, a la modern Oscar Best Picture nominations. Especially as the number of staff involved has increased it feels like most categories run into the situation where we go around the table and everyone picks their favourites out of like a group of 5 or 6 to try and get a final 3. To me anyway there's a difference in trying to get a group of 4 or 5 to pick 3 games than getting 8 or 9 people to agree on 3.

This isn't a perfect solution, and it may shift more of the conversation towards "I don't think this game deserves any recognition in this category" but in the conversations they have I prefer them talking about which games in their pick of 3 deserves to win than trying to convince people why their game doesn't deserve an honorable mention. And that feels like it would save them time. We don't need to break 30 hours of GOTY this year.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This idea makes total sense, but competitions kind of lose some excitement when everyone's a winner.
Personally, due to the ever decreasing number of games being released they don't really compete for attention anymore, we might see 1 great entry for each genre in a year, to call them all the best Games of the Year is a little flat.

avantegardener

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I'm very much enjoy 'the struggle' of GOTY, and there can only be one attitude. But I would say that great games do get there propers and are celebrated in the other categories, and ultimately it is a celebration of the years best and brightest.

Early shoutout for most overlooked gem of this year to Cultist Simulator. That game consumed 60 hours of my life non stop, and no one on staff has had a look at it, for shame.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's what the personal lists are for.

The only thing I want to change is for best world to never happen.

Sahalarious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Sorry, nice idea, but it would ruin the entire sentiment of the process. Some people need to develop some more vocabulary for these "so good, very fun, i just needed to say my piece" but it creates the most impassioned arguments for games you're likely to hear, and helps me at the end of the year find games I didnt know I needed to play (Dream Daddy) or solidify that i still think that Neir is mediocre when i cna't relate to Alex's angry poems of love for it in the debate.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ba16609964d9
deactivated-5ba16609964d9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 20

When I heard A Modest Proposal I assumed you wanted the Giant Bomb staff to eat Irish video games.

veektarius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

Game of the year is a feature that serves only one purpose - to make the staff argue at length over a fundamentally meaningless decision. Making the decision easier does not help with that purpose.

Moderp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Moderp

I like your idea and agree with it. I just don’t think it would make for good content.

One thing I could see being awesome is having them support discussion with video centric content within West’s actual studio , kinda like how they used to do their individual-gotys at their old studio

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

Giant Bomb is my favourite video game website of all-time, and I have agreed with GB's choice for GOTY exactly once in ten years (Skyrim, 2011). Most years the game they chose was one I didn't play (Uncharted 2, Mario Maker, PUBG) or actively didn't like/was very indifferent to (GTAIV, Shadow of Mordor - not a bad game, but GOTY? Nah). The result of GOTY has never mattered that much to me. Sometimes, there have been hills I've been willing to die on - Hotline Miami winning best music over Journey hurt me badly at the time - but I'm very much past the point of caring much about it. If I cared about GB GOTY as much as maybe I used to, I would have hated it this past year as I don't care about PUBG and thought Horizon Zero Dawn was the best game, and that didn't stand a chance.

I think it's become more contentious because of the expansion of the staff, as it was a perfect format for the four of them in a room hashing it out but sounded like it was too much this past year with 8-9 voices in the room. But if this thread is anything to go by, it seems like this is a solution in search of a problem. And as others have said, there are very easy ways to find the games that the staff thought were the best of the year - the top ten lists, or even just looking at the year's reviews and noting the highest scores. If you want GOTY to be more of a celebration of great games, then it seems like the Holiday Specialtaculars sort of fill that niche, not that I've watched much of them to say for sure.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By nutter

When working with large groups on something like this, it will get chaotic and not great to listen to.

I really hope they keep the old format, but cut down on the number of voices. I’m not saying cut this one person or these twenty people. They just need less bodies, in my opinion.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Giant Bomb is my favourite video game website of all-time, and I have agreed with GB's choice for GOTY exactly once in ten years (Skyrim, 2011). Most years the game they chose was one I didn't play (Uncharted 2, Mario Maker, PUBG) or actively didn't like/was very indifferent to (GTAIV, Shadow of Mordor - not a bad game, but GOTY? Nah). The result of GOTY has never mattered that much to me. Sometimes, there have been hills I've been willing to die on - Hotline Miami winning best music over Journey hurt me badly at the time - but I'm very much past the point of caring much about it. If I cared about GB GOTY as much as maybe I used to, I would have hated it this past year as I don't care about PUBG and thought Horizon Zero Dawn was the best game, and that didn't stand a chance.

I think it's become more contentious because of the expansion of the staff, as it was a perfect format for the four of them in a room hashing it out but sounded like it was too much this past year with 8-9 voices in the room. But if this thread is anything to go by, it seems like this is a solution in search of a problem. And as others have said, there are very easy ways to find the games that the staff thought were the best of the year - the top ten lists, or even just looking at the year's reviews and noting the highest scores. If you want GOTY to be more of a celebration of great games, then it seems like the Holiday Specialtaculars sort of fill that niche, not that I've watched much of them to say for sure.

Your not wrong with the "solution in search of a problem" that counter-points I've generated end up turning my initial premise into. I think I was specifically trying to not call for very specific, very clear examples of "This was bad, do this instead" in my attempt for this to be invitation for what its become, "I have an opinion about this, what's yours?" Which is great.

That said I guess I'll address the points a lot of people bring up in the thread via your pretty good summary of all of them!

So, on the top-ten lists serving the purpose I call for. Yes, but not in audio/visual form. Text is nice, but GB has for me become primarily a place I come to watch/listen to content, not read it. I'd like to hear/watch people talk about their favorite games of a given year, not just read them.

But isn't that what the holiday specials are? Yes, and I love those, more of that I say! Essentially that's the point I didn't wanna open the topic with. That's purely personal preference for "I like it when they do these kind of videos." I would love for them to spend most/all the time they yell at each other in a room instead having good natured conversations and BSing about why This game world would suck to live in. Why this hero is really the biggest dick of the year, Why this game is so worth emotionally investing too. Hey lets listen to a bunch of great music and enjoy it, not have half the cast shit on it..etc etc.

But isn't that just what we already get on the Beast/Bombcast each week? YES! Exactly! I love that stuff, I want more of it. I want, when they get to the point of spoiling all the games and talking at length about them, the format I am used to hearing them discuss the games when they are the it topic of the moment. They don't do nearly enough spoiler-casts for my tastes. The number of games they play-through fully, and thus spend a good chunk of time talking about/providing that GB personality surrounding discussions about is highly random in frequency/content.

However...see how this is just me rambling about my preferences for "What I wish staff would do to make me happy"? That, to me, isn't productive, at least as a topic starter. I am sorry I wasn't able too, perhaps, provide a stronger argument for what I like and why it might have value..I'm just not sure I'm capable of writing that without it coming off as preachy or rude.

Clearly, there is a strong sense that the whole point of Goty is the stuff about it that actively draws me away from it, or indeed the angst/anger/community and staff turmoil it causes being the draw in the first place. That's hard/impossible for me to wrap my head around fully..but only cause I am personally driven away by content that goes too far in that direction..not because its intrinsically bad.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

BradBrains

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mike said:

There needs to be a single winner so I can enjoy the meltdowns from people who get irrationally angry that their favorite game didn't win.

Mike makes a great point here. Nothing better than people who take games too seriously.

Plus the insane discussion in regards to the final 3 places is so pointless and fun to listen to in podcast form

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just make Witcher 3 GOTY every year so people shut up.

Also petiton to have it be Game$.

gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#29 gamer_152  Moderator

I respect this opinion but I think it's kind of apples and oranges. I think you get the most constructive criticism from just discussing what games did well and what they did poorly in every given year; attempting to then rank the games on top of that doesn't really get you anywhere in a critical sense because no one's opinion is any more or less right than any other person's opinion when all the opinions are based on personal taste. As ever, there's no such thing as an objectively good video game and so attempting objective ranking is kind of a fool's errand. I don't really follow the GoTY discussions, and this is a big reason why; it's a huge timesink for a discussion that doesn't ultimately prove anything.

Now, I think the staff are largely in on the joke; Jeff has said before that part of the humour of GotY is that they're taking something seriously that doesn't matter all that much. I see it quite like Ranking of Fighters: the implication that there is some science there is funny because it only highlights that there isn't and it's all a bit silly. Still, that doesn't bring GotY around for me personally; that joke doesn't support several hours of podcast discussion on a yearly basis for me, especially not when there are all sorts of nerdy arguments that run on arbitrary rules happening across the internet all the time. Still, I understand that for many of the people who do like it, it's the heated debate and high energy, regardless of if its connected to anything critically solid, that provides the entertainment. That is to say, while I'd enjoy GotY more if it were the kind of thing you're talking about, the current GotY and your proposed idea are two fundamentally different ideas with fundamentally different goals.

I also see that in your post you're talking about it being no fun to see your favourite games being torn down, and while I can empathise, I think us being secure in our tastes means being able to see other people express different tastes and not be bothered by that. Again, one of those opinions isn't "correct" or "wrong", they can both coexist happily. I also don't think we should ever shy away from mentioning game's flaws when doing so helps us better find games we'd like to play and helps us understand how we relate to games, among other things. If we were really to follow that idea to its logical endpoint, there'd be no reviews on this site at all.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bradbrains: The concept of 12 Angry Men to decide which video game was the best in a year is amazing. It’s serious and dumb, and wounds are opened with a wink.

It’s something special and amazing.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#31  Edited By Captain_Insano

@mike said:

Mike makes a great point here. Nothing better than people who take games too seriously.

Plus the insane discussion in regards to the final 3 places is so pointless and fun to listen to in podcast form

How will I know it's the New Year if I don't read tweets or comments abusing Abby for getting a game she likes onto the Top 10, or everyone saying how GB has "lost their way" because they picked a game like PUBG as number 1?

NTM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By NTM

Hmm, yeah. I mean, I don't really care how they do it, but I know I personally wouldn't be able to do it myself. Top ten is hard and if it were me, I'd rather just say 'here are my favorite games, because I hate choosing absolute favorites' even when it is sometimes easy to choose a favorite. I don't often listen to their super long discussions for what's best, I just wait to read about it, and more often than not, I tend to prefer each individual's top ten list rather than the sites in general. To me, the individual list is more important because it speaks to the person's interest, not the groups in which may not speak for everyone (or, it does, but it doesn't... you know what I mean, right?)

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

I understand where this wish is coming from as it can get a little "brutal" but that's what I crave for the holidays.
It's a Giantbomb tradition that I wouldn't want to lose. I think.

IVDAMKE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ripelivejam: I enjoy this grudge you've held for 3 years now.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 58

I've found certain parts of Game of the Year deliberations kinda un-listenable for a while, but I think that has to do with not wanting to spend 20+ hours listening to a bunch of people in a room engage in circular, repetitive arguments about games I didn't play at this point in my life. In 2011, I was all over that Skyrim vs Saints Row throwdown, and it's not like there's a significant difference between then and now, aside from the number of people in the room increasing the hour count and the amount of horse-trading going on. I've just gotten older and don't have as much time or perseverance to want to see the sausage get made.

I certainly wouldn't mind a shake-up in format. Something more positive sounds nice in theory, maybe something that doesn't seem to exhaust them to death and create a weird black hole of content during early December. However, I also think the general pointlessness of debating which video game came out during the Earth's 365 1/4 day rotation around the sun is a feature, not a bug, and I wouldn't be surprised if there are just as many people who would be disappointed if they messed with the format.

chrispaul92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I stopped enjoying the game of the year podcasts a while ago and just stopped listening. I really do love all the upset forum posts that go up during the following months, though.

sicamore

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By sicamore

the only change i want is for them to do the deliberations live. them knowing the winners and talking around them before the break and then waiting til christmas is awkward. release the usual group streams, edited specials, and top 10s starting december 25 instead of lumping it all in with the very long podcast deliberations.

BladedEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here is a counter question/point then I might like to raise. Would people be in favor of a reduction, but not removal, of the contentious stuff I find issue with? If, say, 25-50% of the vitriolic stuff we get from GotY became what I suggested in my OP..would that be too much?

If they found a balance where they kept the biggest controversial topics and arguments intacted, but devoted some portion of time spent producing the pod-casts as they exist now instead producing more video content ala the hitman stuff? Perhaps the staff letting those of us who would like to watch/listen to their personal top-tens and not just read them get to do so? Perhaps pulling some categories out of the rules the rest follow, so as to allow for interesting round-table discussions. I.e. "Best World" is an interesting topic to spit-ball and explore if everyone can bring their own definition to the table and no one is competing for "There can be only one". etc etc.

As it sure sounds like the other running theme in responses besides "I enjoy the salt, more salt!" is "I stopped listening ages ago." Perhaps 'some' change, without the drastic levels of suggestion I initially proposed might be more agreeable? Its typically only one of two big things the majority of the salt is over. Its typically one major Staff member's actions that gets people up in arms. Its typically the final category that can generate the most heat...and even I wouldn't want to see changed much/at all.

Just curious. Since people seem to reject my proposal (kindly though thanks all), what 'would' you be willing to see them experiment with changing, if the stuff everyone seems to be in consensus they want to remain intacted (the argument, the salt, the tradition) if that remained a solid 50-75% of what remains, whatever changes they might try aside?

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Compromises? No, too easy.

Lv4Monk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The issue is when they try to merge multiple separate opinions into one that doesn't actually exist. How anyone can say Metacritic is a meaningless jumble of incomparably subjective numbers and then promote the "Giant Bomb Fight Club" is a mystery.

rccola

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

game5 of the year

Avatar image for theoriginalatlas
Atlas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 19

@bladededge: Y'know, I think there's a valid point there. Do they need to go to war over so many different categories and then also have to come up with a top ten and just one GOTY? If you just had the categories, then that'd be like showing off the best games of the year without having a single winner, and there'd still be plenty of contentious debate - if not more so, because people will be more up for fighting over the categories rather than saving energy for the top ten. Or you just have the GOTY top ten, and that discussion is where the strengths of each contending game are highlighted, and people have a chance to talk about a game for its great music, or its lore or storytelling, or its action set pieces, etc. Maybe we don't need Brad going to war over Minerva's Den winning best DLC and them all going to war over Saints Row the Third versus Skyrim (I think both of these discussions were 2011).

I know that most awards shows and features have awards for separate categories and an ultimate winner, but choosing to focus on one rather than both would dramatically reduce the length of the GOTY deliberations and remove some of the contention without completely diluting the experience. Again, a lot of people in this thread seem to think nothing much needs to be done, but if they were going to think about changing up the format, this would be an interesting point of discussion.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only thing I would actually like is if they were better about falling into the same arguments and then things drag out. That's probably hard to avoid when you have a ton of people AND are trapped in a room for many hours.

So I guess really I still don't want a nicer GOTY I want sharper knives and cleaner cuts.

WheresDerrick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'd like a couple new categories.

GBeast's Top and Worst games of the year and GWest's Top and Worst games of the year.

Keep the Best Game of the Year overall, too.

wollywoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like having one GOTY. I mean, yes, it's a silly arbitrary thing. But that's why it's fun.

However, I don't need dozens of hours of footage of deliberation. Just do ten minutes of discussion on each award and then put it to a vote. Done. Everybody looked so exhausted after the last GOTY I felt bad for them.

Teddie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Teddie

I just wish they'd cut down on the time put into deliberation podcasts and feed that back into the content that comes out during that time. Since they've changed the video content during GOTY to twists on their regular features, it doesn't really make sense to hold that stuff back until the Xmas break when they're just creating another void in site content when they do the deliberations a month beforehand. The negatives of GOTY production are starting to outweigh the positives for me.

They could probably stand to bring in someone who isn't normally in the deliberations to moderate circular discussion at this point, too. The odd Minerva's Den here and there is fine, but it felt like it was happening pretty consistently last year, enough that I lost interest overall before the 3rd day was done.

tricky69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

They just need a better moderator. That's where Ryan was perfect on these discussions (and is sorely missed). Once the discussions started to get drawn out and everyone was just repeating themselves, he'd step in, get everyone back on track, get a decision made and then it was straight onto the next topic.

The_Greg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By The_Greg

I really like the current format. It allows plenty of games to get recognition, and makes me want to play all them them, as well as forcing a debate at the end of every segment.

Sometimes it causes a bit of tension and heat, but that passion is really interesting to listen to.

I have a suggestion for a category - 'Mini game that deserves it's own spin-off'.

hermes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

There needs to be better organized. Once arguments get repetitive and nobody moves an inch for hours on end, it stops being a debate, or even a discussion or an argument and turns into a battle of endurance and stubbornness about "who gets tired first?" for far too long.