• 60 results
jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By jordanxjordan

GOTY is has always been a bitter-sweet time for me. I love the original content and creativity of the crew and I love reading all the random and different lists. Sadly, I'm rarely ever able to participate in any type of discussion, since I've been pretty short on extra cash for a long while now. This year is different, though. Owing to a stable job, I've been able to pick up a few new releases and play through. Recently, I've come across some extra income and want to treat myself. That's where y'all come in. What games form this year do you think are most likely to come up? I know and have played a few of the bigs ones (DOOM, Overwatch, Dark Souls III), but I'm curious as to what else the guys may discuss. In particular, indie/mobile games. What's in the running for your top games right now? DOOM is the best game I've played in a while and I'm still really looking forward to FF XV.

*EDIT: I'm on PS4*

Shivoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

I expect a lot of time is going to be given to the big FPS (definitely Titanfall 2 and Gears 4 have hit the crew right in the GotY, probably BF1 and CoD: IW too). I hope that Dishonored 2 (unreleased) also makes that list. Hitman definitely is going to get plenty of support.

Few big open world games this year, Watch_Dogs 2 (unreleased) is up in the air but Mafia III likely gets a mention, not sure if anyone will fight for it on the crew. Going to the rest of the 3rd person shooters, Uncharted 4 also hit plenty of the crew on release so almost certainly gets lots of talk.

Forza Horizon 3? Deus Ex: Mankind Divided? Alex should mention Civ VI and then let it go.

Indie then we've got The Witness up there, SuperHot and Firewatch likely get mentions. Suspect Jeff will push SuperHot up the list. Inside is going to be up there.

I would say VR but I think the defective units have made sure nothing like Rez Infinite gets a high listing. I wouldn't be shocked if Thumper still got some support as that's also new in 2D.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shivoa: I had 100% forgotten about The Witness AND SuperHot.

Savage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 86

Some other games that have a good shot of coming up in Giant Bomb's GOTY discussions:

• The Witness
  • Superhot
  • Stardew Valley
  • Darkest Dungeon
  • Hitman
  • Inside
  • Mafia III
  • Gears of War 4
  • Titanfall 2
jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It doesn't seem like there's be anything this year that isn't at least a little bit of a known quantity. No Undertale's or Her Story's.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bigsocrates

You might want to mention what platforms you have (I know you said mobile, but GB doesn't cover that many mobile games.) For example I think Forza Horizon 3 will come up in discussions, since Jeff, Dan, and Alex all loved it, but unless you have an XBONE or a truly ragin' PC it's probably not a great choice in current condition. Gears 4 is similar.

I think Firewatch will come up briefly but won't get much buzz on Giant Bomb. The Witness similarly is a widely acknowledged great game that most GBers didn't seem to adore.

The Division might get a little bit of attention, though I think Jeff's the only one who seemed to really like that, while Alex was put off by the narrative.

Uncharted 4 is an obvious choice. Doesn't seem to have had a lot of traction among the GB team though.

Battlefield 1 and Titanfall 2 both seem like late contenders, but we need to give them a bit of time.

Inside seems like the top bet among indie games. Probably too insubstantial to go anywhere though. Some people liked Virginia so maybe that has a shot at a mention, but was less popular among the crew and is equally short.

Dan will advocate strongly for Stardew Valley. Nobody else will care. Maybe someone will make a dark horse advocacy for Severed or Dragon Quest Builders.

I think it really is going to come down to Doom v Overwatch, though, and I think Doom is going to win. There's nobody who doesn't like it, and let's face it, there's a strong nostalgia draw. Hard to argue it would be the wrong choice, though.

Personally I think for me either Forza Horizon 3 or Uncharted 4 would be my top game so far. I've played a lot of really good games this year, and I think overall it's been a very strong year for me, but I can't think of any game I've loved unconditionally (other than Forza Horizon 3, but while I love that game it really is just more of the same.) I need to finish Doom, which I really like but is too intense for me. And I do still want to play Titanfall 2 and some other stuff.

I think it's interesting that no VR game seems in contention for GOTY this year, with the possible exception of Rez, though it'd be very weird to give a new tech award to a friggin' Dreamcast game.

Edited again to add Heart & Slash, which while not GOTY material was one of my favorite indies this year, and one that I think got almost no attention. It's sort of a rogue-lite character action game with amazing music, a cool almost PS1 era look, and a ton of variety in terms of weapons. Just a really good product that is let down by a few flaws (too repetitive, too few art assets, wonky camera, can sometimes be hard to figure out where to go exactly) but is definitely worth consideration if it gets swept up into any of the end of year sales.

jordanxjordan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: went back and added my console. Duh me, thanks for reminding.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I could see a case for Picross 3D 2 (and that might be the single game I've put the most time into so far). It'll definitely be mentioned at some point during end-of-year.

Doubt any of the guys played Bravely Second but that was this year too.

DOOM and the Witness will definitely be in GBs top ten IMHO, and I think it's fairly likely that DOOM will be #1. Wouldn't be surprised to see Hitman there as well.

I wonder whether Witcher 3 DLC (Blood & Wine) will get recognized in some way. Vinny seemed to be pretty impressed with it.

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By BojackHorseman

Titanfall 2 is this years best game.

Anyway, my prediction for top ten is:

1. Doom

2. Overwatch

3. Hitman

4. Inside

5. Uncharted 4

6. Watch Dogs 2

7. Battlefield 1

8. The Witness

9. Gears of War 4

10. Stardew Valley

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Was The Division this year? Wow, it feels like it came out ages ago.

Giantstalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 2

I'd say the top game is gonna be a near-literal DEATHMATCH between the new DOOM (Brad, Jeff) and Overwatch (everybody else). Honorable mentions will be made for Titanfall 2 (Jeff's fight, once again) and maybe Battlefield 1 (Vinny? Vinny.)

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

man this has been one hell of a year

duke_of_the_bump

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Are we supposed to be predicting their top 10 or posting our own? Because my lists never resemble any of theirs. I only have 7 for this year.

1. Rhythm Heaven Megamix
2. Quadrilateral Cowboy
3. Ultimate Chicken Horse
4. Dark Souls 3
5. Don't Starve Together
6. Severed
7. Don't Mind the Trunk

There are a bunch of games from this year I'd like to play before the GOTY deliberations but I don't know if I'll be able to.

audioBusting

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 26

Stephen's Sausage Roll is pretty high on my list right now. There's also Hyper Light Drifter and Devil Daggers.

CastroCasper

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Really liked DOOM, Battlefield 1, Dark Souls 3, Hitman (liked this one a lottttt), SuperHot. Firewatch and the Witness are up there too.

an_ancient

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I did take very well to Thumper, but Alex got sidetracked with Civ6 and not sure if Jeff is spending time with it.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e6e407163fd7
deactivated-5e6e407163fd7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Titanfall 2, The Witness (haven't played it myself but Brad and Jeff seemed to love it). Superhot and Firewatch I can see getting some love on certain awards.

mems1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Jesus Christ, Division was this year?????? It feels like that game has been out a decade

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Redhotchilimist

@bojackhorseman said:

@bigsocrates: Was The Division this year? Wow, it feels like it came out ages ago.

It's been a hell of a year. There hasn't been a ton that I've personally played, but the number of "notable" games is just incredible between good versions of the usual releases, indies, and old as crap projects that finally released this year(The Witness, Overwatch and Inside, and also Last Guardian, Final Fantasy 15 and Owlboy coming up). It's the opposite of something like 2014 in terms of number of games that people talk about. Try counting them out. I did so in another post somewhere on the internet, and I remembered something like 40 games that in some way made a big positive impact.

Bojackhorseman and Savage has got it covered. It's pretty much their four star and five star reviews. Only thing I'm uncertain about is games coming out between now and new year's, and also Vinny's preferred games. He often gets a spot to put some adventure game or something he likes in.

Avatar image for jdizzlefoshizzle
jdizzlefoshizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I think rather than Doom vs Overwatch it will be Doom vs The Witness. The crew were generally favourable towards Overwatch, but only Dan seemed very vocal about sticking with it. The Witness on the other hand was adored by essentially everyone at GB. While personally I love Overwatch and kind of aggressively bounced off of the Witness, I think that The Witness is the kind of game that if it jives with you, then it REALLY jives with you. Also, with Jeff's love of Titanfall I don't know if Overwatch is even a lock for the best shooter of the year, nevermind best game. If it was GB community game of the year, than yah I think Overwatch vs Doom. But the west crew especially really dug on the Witness.

ripelivejam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ripelivejam

i was snarky about it before, but after playing a couple hours today Salt and Sanctuary is also possibly a dark horse indie fave. it really plays so well, and did a good job of translating its inspiration's mechanics toa 2d plane. i just wish it didn't crib so hard from the source material; if it was more its own thing i'd think even better of it. still pleasantly surprised (so far).

e: i know it's basically a metroidvania but its a very well constructed if unfortunately derivative one of those with terrific 2d melee mechanics.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

Stardew Valley better end up on that top 10 - that's all I want.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: I think rather than Doom vs Overwatch it will be Doom vs The Witness. The crew were generally favourable towards Overwatch, but only Dan seemed very vocal about sticking with it. The Witness on the other hand was adored by essentially everyone at GB. While personally I love Overwatch and kind of aggressively bounced off of the Witness, I think that The Witness is the kind of game that if it jives with you, then it REALLY jives with you. Also, with Jeff's love of Titanfall I don't know if Overwatch is even a lock for the best shooter of the year, nevermind best game. If it was GB community game of the year, than yah I think Overwatch vs Doom. But the west crew especially really dug on the Witness.

That is not my recollection. I think Alex played a ton of Overwatch, and Jason bought the game on all three platforms or something like that. Jeff and Dan both really liked the Witness (and Brad was into it too to some extent) but I thought Austin was the only one who actually finished the final puzzle or whatever (I haven't played it yet.) Now maybe this is just my memory playing tricks on me but that's how I recall things going.

archer88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I think Hitman is going to take it over Doom/Titanfall 2/Overwatch for the same basic reasons that Super Mario Maker won last year: a well made game that select members of the staff had an incredible and memorable experience with. Hitman kept Brad and Dan hooked like no other game this year.

alexl86

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

I think neither Overwatch nor the Witness will be found in the top four. I think Hitman (my personal #1) will be on the list, but towards the bottom. I think Titanfall can clinch a spot in the top 3 and DOOM is the biggest contender for #1 in my view. Forza, No Man's Sky and Battlefield are certainly good games, but I doubt they'll make the list. I expect to see a good mix of indie games on the list, and maybe CIV VI?

I'm hopeful for Dishonored 2 and FFXV. I think Paper Mario is in the conversation for most disappointing game.

twi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Doom is great but my game of the year has to be "Total War: Warhammer!!!"

That game has been a blast to play and it's a very friendly parenting game. As you might only have time for a turn or two a day but it still accommodates that with easy!

MezZa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

It's been an interesting year. I'm hoping that Dan fights the good fight and gets stardew valley on the list. At the moment that's my current number 1, and I recommend it if you haven't tried it yet.

afabs515

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad Jeff has some incredibly positive things to say about Titanfall 2. I thought this year was just going to be DOOM undisputed, but it seems like we might have a surprise contender. Other games I think will make the list are: Overwatch, Stardew Valley, Hitman, The Witness, Gears of War 4, and possibly Civ 6. I'm probably (definitely) forgetting a bunch, but this has been a great year for games so there are just too many to keep track of :)

DookieRope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DOOM is gonna be the Giant Bomb GOTY. I can feel it in my bones. My satanic, pentagram, shaped bones.

m3ds334

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Yeah, Doom is definitely going to be there.

void

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#32  Edited By void

Some games not mentioned yet that might be interesting: (None of them have any chance for staff GOTY lists, probably. Well, maybe Jason's.)

• Street Fighter V
  • Far Cry Primal
  • Grow Up
  • Attack on Titan
  • XCOM 2
  • Shadow Warrior 2 (not on PS4 yet)
clagnaught

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

For the indies, the big ones right now seem to be The Witness, Firewatch, and Inside. Not all three are guaranteed to make their top 10, but they will most definitely be discussed. I can see Abzu being a surprise contender in some categories, but I might be too under the radar to be a serious contender.

For more budget options, maybe give Hitman a shot. You can grab the first episode and then move on to the later ones if that is to your liking.

As for me, my current top games (specifically games I have finished) are: Overwatch, Zero Time Dilemma, Firewatch, and Superhot. The Witness and DOOM are up there, but I haven't "finished them yet", so those aren't super official yet.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

#34  Edited By pyromagnestir

@bigsocrates said:
@jdizzlefoshizzle said:

That is not my recollection. I think Alex played a ton of Overwatch, and Jason bought the game on all three platforms or something like that. Jeff and Dan both really liked the Witness (and Brad was into it too to some extent) but I thought Austin was the only one who actually finished the final puzzle or whatever (I haven't played it yet.) Now maybe this is just my memory playing tricks on me but that's how I recall things going.

Brad was also fully on board The Witness love train with Jeff and Dan, they were all super enthused about it at the time. You're right that Austin was the only one to finish the final puzzle, or at least the only who mentioned doing so, but oddly he wasn't nearly as giddy about it as the GB West crew dudes, he had a few reservations about it. The GB East crew as a whole was colder on The Witness than GB West was, it seemed like they couldn't stop raving about it on the bombcast in January/February.

But I agree it'll probably be Overwatch vs Doom, as Vinny, Jason, and Dan all seem to adore Overwatch. So if things stand as they are I think it seems we're headed for a Brad and Jeff on team DOOM vs Vinny, Dan, and Jason on team Overwatch showdown. Not sure where Alex or Drew stand on these games. Alex played a bunch of Overwatch but also seemed to really like DOOM. And Drew? No clue! But Witness will almost certainly be on the top 10.

Other games in play to make the top 10 as of right now, in my opinion (and I'd say this order is roughly from most likely to least likely):

• hitman
  • inside
  • stardew valley
  • titanfall 2
  • thumper
  • superhot
  • uncharted 4
  • mafia 3
  • darkest dungeon
  • abzu
  • gears 3
  • that new picross 3d
  • overcooked
  • obduction
  • quadrilateral cowboy
  • ultimate chicken horse (is that officially released? edit: seems it is, but I think it's more likely to be this year's multiplayer game that they played a quite a bit on live streams but doesn't make the top 10, a la Nidhogg/Samurai Gunn/Jackbox/Mount Your Friends to name a few off the top of my head)
  • dark souls

Full disclosure: I love the game of the year podcasts and think about this stuff far too much.

guanophobic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

I was about to write the same thing, great list!

Titanfall 2 is this years best game.

Anyway, my prediction for top ten is:

1. Doom

2. Overwatch

3. Hitman

4. Inside

5. Uncharted 4

6. Watch Dogs 2

7. Battlefield 1

8. The Witness

9. Gears of War 4

10. Stardew Valley

jeddy201

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates said:

@jdizzlefoshizzle said:

I feel like around the beginning of the year both Jeff and Brad were actively in love with The Witness. Also, I've seen Jeff on other sites talking about what games he's really liking this year and right after Doom he always brings up and gets really excited about The Witness.

blueskatten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By blueskatten

Hitman will definitely be a contender for GOTY together with Doom & Overwatch. Brad and Dan love that game to death and Jeff / Vinny are huge fans of it also.

Don't really know where to put XCOM 2 on the list. The first one won the whole thing, don't remember how well the staff enjoyed the sequel. Also Overcooked is fantastic and should be on the list.

Darth_Navster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Oxenfree in this thread. It came out early in the year, so it's understandable that people forgot about it, but I remember the crew being really positive about it. It's only 2 hours or so to beat, so I can see some of the GB guys play through it during their end of year GotY sprint. Personally, it's going to be high up on my list.

alex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By alex

I can tell you that Thumper, Darkest Dungeon, Firewatch, Hitman, and Uncharted 4 are all games available on PS4 that I'll probably cape for pretty hard. Overcooked and Inside are both v v good as well.

(Overwatch and Doom as well, though those seem well covered in this thread)

BojackHorseman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@alex said:

I can tell you that Thumper, Darkest Dungeon, Firewatch, Hitman, and Uncharted 4 are all games available on PS4 that I'll probably cape for pretty hard. Overcooked and Inside are both v v good as well.

(Overwatch and Doom as well, though those seem well covered in this thread)

Spoilers!

*Insert scene from Community where Britta tells Abed that real life has no spoilers.

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

Frog Fractions 2 will come out of nowhere to win it all.

bigsocrates

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shinofkod: each and every one of those games is part of Frog Fractions 2.

Reality was replaced with the simulation known as Frog Fractions 2 so seamlessly you didn't even notice. Like a frog not noticing the water slowly heating up in the pot he is sitting in (not a real thing).

L33T_HAXOR

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 26

No Man's Sky is almost definitely NOT gonna be on the list, and will probably be a lock for most disappointing game. Alex seemed to kind of like the game for what it was, but everyone else (especially Jeff) seemed actively annoyed at it.

@alexl86 said:

Forza, No Man's Sky and Battlefield are certainly good games, but I doubt they'll make the list.

bluefish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bluefish

@bojackhorseman: no way Titanfall 2 wont be on that list. I really don't see Watch Dogs 2 in the top 10 either.

I would say The Witness, Titanfall 2, Hitman, Overwatch and Doom are in/around the top 5.

That said, I don't listen to the Beastcast so I'm exclusively speaking from tastes of the GB proper team.

Hosstile17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

This is a short collection of my favorite games of this year in no real order.

• Forza Horizon 3
  • Doom
  • Titanfall 2
  • Battlefield 1
  • Destiny: Rise of Iron
  • Trackmania Turbo
  • Hitman
  • Firewatch
  • Yo-Kai Watch 2
AlexW00d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Myself? Deus Ex and Hearts of Iron 4 and Stardew valley are the 3 games I think of. I honestly can't remember what even came out this year. Divisions ok but I feel I am lacking a team to play it with. Mafia is merely ok (too much meaningless open world shit when I was hoping for a sequel to Mafia 2) I thought Doom played like shit. Just Cause 3? Still dunno why I bought that. No Man Sky was exactly what I thought it would be (awful). Xcom reboot 2 was better than Xcom reboot 1 but still suffers from the same over simplification that 2k have done to Civ.

That said I still wanna play Hitman (that's all out now right?), Dishonoured 2, Shadow Warrior 2, Forza if it ever gets playable. Probably something else?

shinofkod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

@l33t_haxor: As much as I like it, I could see Street Fighter V being a strong contender, but it or NMS for sure.

Kvel2D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#48  Edited By Kvel2D

@audiobusting: Sausage Roll is definitely the best game of the year for me. Such a shame that it will get no recognition from GB or any recognition in general. Here's hoping that it might get momentum in a couple years, like other increpare's stuff.

Avatar image for clairvoyantvibrations
ClairvoyantVibrations

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigsocrates: Brad absolutely loved The Witness. I just listened to the Podcast directly after he reviewed it (a 5 Star score, as I recall) and he's going completely nuts over it. I think it's a likely contender for sure. Jeff and Dan were both super into it as well.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#50 FinalDasa  Moderator

DOOM would be a great choice.

Paladins, an Overwatch-like, should be coming to consoles soon and for free. That's a great Overwatch alternative.