A positive thread about what you're currently playing

#1851 Edited by Toastburner_B (472 posts) -

Godzillaon PS4.

So being the Godzilla nerd that I am, when I bought my PS4 a while back, this was one of the first games I picked up. It didn't have the best reputation, but I liked Super Godzilla back when I was a kid so I figured my bias towards the IP would let me enjoy it enough to my $20 worth out it. I played it then, bounced off it, and it sat on my self collecting dust for a while.

Fast-forward to last week when I saw the new Godzilla movie, and I saw this game on my shelf, and decided to give it another go. By no means is it a great game, and truth be told it probably struggles to be a good game, but I had fun with it for a few hours. As long as you play the "easy" path in the campaign mode it is good enough for you get joy out of smashing cities and fighting other monsters. Unfortunately, the "normal" and "hard" paths add on arbitrary things (such as time limits and the appearance of max level monsters when you have no chance to be that powerful), and exposes the weakness in the combat system (AI monsters can throw out combos that stagger or stun lock you pretty much at will, and can almost always break your own combos). Not a great game, but for a game I paid $20 bucks for a few years ago, I'm glad I finally wrung some fun out it.

...It is also going to for $100+ on Ebay right now, so I might sell it and get make a profit. That's a positive, right?

#1852 Posted by billmcneal (1266 posts) -

I last played King of Fighters XI

#1853 Posted by FacelessVixen (2664 posts) -

Less of a specific game and more about what I'm playing on: the 15" 1TB version of the Surface Book 2. Granted that I wouldn't call this a "gaming laptop" in the same vein as an Acer Predator, one Razer Blade or MSi laptop or another as I mainly bought it as a mobile workstation for graphic design, digital painting/illustration, photography and some relatively light video editing, but I think it's fair to put it though it's gaming paces with it's i7 8650U and GTX 1060.

With that preamble out of the way, I'm currently testing it with Destiny 2, initially bumping down the resolution to 1920 x 1200 since I figured that there was no way in hell that it could run at 3240 x 2160. But some interesting things happened during my test runs. The frame rate would tank pretty hard when the Book 2 was hooked up to my BenQ 1080p TN monitor, even when lowering the graphics settings and of course setting the Book 2 to use best performance. But when just playing the game on the Book 2's screen, the game would play pretty nicely; basically on par with my similarly specced desktop (i5 4690K and Strix 1060), give or take some frames and the difference in response times of TN and IPS displays. The game even ran pretty well at 3240 x 2160, which is pleasantly making me question how capable a 1060 really is with certain games.

Still, I do need to figure out how to get an external monitor working correctly (like maybe trying out a USB type-C to HDMI converter directly to a monitor, as opposed to a type-C dock to an HDMI switcher then to a monitor) since my intent is to have the Book 2 be a mobile secondary workhorse, but this is the kind of troubleshooting that tech nerds like me live for. Either way, it's a hell of an upgrade from my Surface 3 and Lenovo T410.

#1854 Edited by PKB_Noitwont (135 posts) -

The Switch version of Slay the Spire is now destroying my life.

Edit: Now it's destroying my life in another way by crashing and bricking my save after beating the act 3 boss. Cannot continue or abandon. Guess I'll wait and keep my fingers crossed that this next patch fixes it.

Edit #2: The Patch came out last night, and everything is right with the world again. My save continued right on from where my game bricked up. Devs have been constantly updating over on Reddit, cannot say enough about them. Also, if you have not, try Slay the Spire. It's real rad.

#1855 Edited by Casepb (747 posts) -

Just got Amid Evil on Steam. It finally got out of early access so I decided to give it a try. It's bringing back memories of Hexen and Heretic and I love it. I didn't know I needed a FPS like this so badly. I hear it just keeps getting crazier and better the further you progress too.

#1856 Posted by Shiftygism (1063 posts) -

That moment when you realize Kumail Nanjiani voiced a character in the second season of TWD years after originally playing it.

#1857 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2101 posts) -

No other developer in the world makes video games as wholesome as Super Mario Oddessy.

#1858 Posted by adamxkuhn (39 posts) -

Green Planet has turned Surviving Mars from a game I had vaguely neutral-positive feelings for into a game I am begging people to play. It would have been easy for the developers to take the Far Cry basebuilding approach and trigger a little cutscene each time you reach a resource threshold and bring you back into a palette swapped gameworld, which would have been exactly the wrong way to handle it; instead, your terraforming efforts (which are costly and tricky to maintain) are essentially invisible for hours of real-time gameplay -- which makes the first time you see, out of the corner of your eye, a tiny stubborn patch of grass growing on the surface of Mars so much more momentous, so much more *earned*, and so much more a product of your own perseverance and dedication. It is to the credit of the developers that that feeling never fades -- that patch of grass, if attended with care, is the place where begins the long journey to the day where the domes come down, and people live under the sky again. I know it sounds grandiloquent, but it really is rather sublime.

#1860 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

Finally started Pillars of Eternity on Xbox. It’s taken some getting used to, but I’m digging it.

I guess I wish the combat was either proper turn-based OR had a more robust AI system (a la Dragon Age: Origins), but I’ve gotten used to it at this point.

Cool game. Too many little bugs, but nothing that’s been that detrimental (yet).

#1861 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

I played Life is Strange Before the Storm recently. Really dug it. It’s weird playing a game about teenage girls as a guy with kids that are nearly that age...

#1862 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2101 posts) -

@nutter: I found myself switching between each party member to micro manage their abilities and spells and enjoyed it that was. With all the different parameters you can set for when the game pauses in combat you can basically make it as turn based as you want. Great game!

#1863 Posted by Karmosin (379 posts) -

@adamxkuhn: Is the game worth getting for the base game itself? Interesting in trying it out but don't wanna buy alot of dlc if I don't know if I'll even like it.

#1864 Posted by MightyDuck (2046 posts) -

Picked up Elder Scrolls Online with the Elsweyr edition. I'm about 10 hours in and still finding my way. It hasn't quite clicked yet, but it's getting there I think.

Also ran through the adventure mode on the Crash Team Racing remake. I thought I was decent at the boosting mechanic, but then went online. Holy cow, people have that thing down to a science already!

#1865 Posted by ItsaCorey (41 posts) -

Playing so much Red Dead Online. That game is impressive in almost every way.

#1866 Posted by Rube9 (3 posts) -

Currently rocking the game pass ultimate, and playing Forza Horizon 4 and this game is hooking me way more than the previous one. I must say microsoft is on to something here because being able to play it on my pc then go downstairs and play it on the one x with the surround is a very seamless and enjoyable experience. That being said I have also been getting into wargroove thanks to the pass and that game really ramps up somewhere in the 2nd act in terms of a challenge and also enjoying that

#1867 Posted by sbarre (90 posts) -

Just picked up The Witcher 3 and Divinity Original Sin 2 in the Steam Sale.. Not sure which one to start first, but see you all in... October??

#1868 Posted by FrodoBaggins (2101 posts) -
Avatar image for thievingsince95
#1869 Posted by thievingsince95 (20 posts) -

@sbarre I just "finished" the main story of The Witcher 3 for the first time last week and I cannot recommend it highly enough. By all accounts Divinity: OS2 is also amazing but for me TW3 was a genre defining game so if it were me I'd probably play that first. Like I said, you probably can't go wrong either way though

#1870 Posted by haneybd87 (402 posts) -

I’m finally getting around to playing Rogue Legacy and I’m obsessed with it. Even though some of the levels feel like Dan Ryckert Mario Maker levels in their level of deviousness.

#1871 Posted by mezmero (3785 posts) -

Late to the party on Hitman 2 but I've been playing a lot of it lately and love it. I've mainly just been obsessing over the Miami level and just having a lot of fun with it. After having completed all "The Classics" challenges just as I max out the level mastery I'm finally ready to move on to the next stage. People weren't kidding when they said that it's improved in every way to the "first" entry in this new Hitman. I can't think of many things in this game as satisfying as calmly assembling a concealed sniper rifle from a briefcase, killing my target, putting it back in the briefcase, and calmly walking away with no one the wiser. So freaking cool.

#1872 Posted by FacelessVixen (2664 posts) -

Senran Kagura Burst Re:Newal.

Yeah, it's basically another Senran beat 'em up. Despite knowing that it's a remake of some of the DS and 3DS games, not having guest characters from Ikkitousen or Dead or Alive makes this not as hype as Estival Versus or Peach Beach Splash. But the core Senran characters are still fun to go back to, so my "complaints" are far form a deal-breaker.

#1873 Posted by Pezen (2388 posts) -

Finished up the MK11 story, it was quite a ride even if I wouldn't necessarily say the actual story was all that impressive as much as it was fun. Still can't get over Raiden's face though, he got this uncanny valley Stanley Tucci-esque look to him. And I couldn't stop thinking he had an aura of an old man that smells like liverwurst and breathes too heavily with his nose. But the game looks fantastinc and plays great, I even got pretty proficient at doing combos, something I generally don't have patience for with fighting games.

Beyond that I have been casually playing some early Division 2. That game is just braindead. I mean, I can tell the enemies are smarter and there's some more systems going on in it, but the moment to moment is so rinse and repeat that it makes for a really good time waster when I have nothing else to play to just run around and shoot some dudes. That being said, a bit sad to see how outfit drops seems to have been considerably lowered than previous one. Not sure if it's because of the cosmetics store or the loot boxes you earn but I thought it was fun finding random clothes out and about but it seems a lot less likely. Still, fun times are being had to be sure.

Lastly, been trying out Dota Underlords. I agree with Jeff that the matches are a bit too long for a pick up and play type of game, but it's still pretty damn fun to sit and theorize your way to a winning combination.

#1874 Posted by BeachThunder (15165 posts) -

I'm really digging the changes in Apex's Season 2 \o/

#1875 Posted by notnert427 (2289 posts) -

@rube9 said:

Currently rocking the game pass ultimate, and playing Forza Horizon 4 and this game is hooking me way more than the previous one. I must say microsoft is on to something here because being able to play it on my pc then go downstairs and play it on the one x with the surround is a very seamless and enjoyable experience.

@mezmero said:

Late to the party on Hitman 2 but I've been playing a lot of it lately and love it. I've mainly just been obsessing over the Miami level and just having a lot of fun with it. After having completed all "The Classics" challenges just as I max out the level mastery I'm finally ready to move on to the next stage. People weren't kidding when they said that it's improved in every way to the "first" entry in this new Hitman. I can't think of many things in this game as satisfying as calmly assembling a concealed sniper rifle from a briefcase, killing my target, putting it back in the briefcase, and calmly walking away with no one the wiser. So freaking cool.

These are the two I was about to list. Amazing games, both. I feel like they're not getting enough love because they're sequels, but both games are arguably improved over two of my all-time favorites. The seasons in Horizon 4 add a ton to that game, and HITMAN 2 bringing the HITMAN 2016 game into the same package was a fantastic idea. I hope both Playground and IO get to keep making these games forever.

Avatar image for nicholas_attano
#1876 Posted by Nicholas_Attano (19 posts) -

I got good with a few Paladins champions and I do well in matches. The other guys don't try at all though lmao

#1877 Edited by nicksmi56 (850 posts) -

I went on vacation to Florida last week, so as tradition would have it, I brought along some new games to try.

Between Luigi's Mansion and Radiant Historia, I wound up getting hooked by Historia. The story is pretty dang interesting so far, the combat is intuitive and involved enough that you're always considering your options, and the time travel mechanic is implemented in a cool way. Instead of having you make difficult choices to avoid bad endings, the game winds up encouraging you to take both options and see everything that could possibly happen. Heck, some bad endings you get even clear the way for the main path forward once you bumble into them! It can be tropey at times, but it's the fun kind of tropes that endear you to the characters rather than making you groan. It's also going to take me absolutely forever to finish with almost 430 story events to see and my natural curiosity pushing me to see all of them, but I'm looking forward to enjoying the ride!

This past Sunday was my birthday, and I just didn't feel like playing Historia for some reason, so I busted out my Switch and jumped into Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon. At first, I thought it was pretty fun but I wasn't really jiving with the canon route and its multiple characters, especially since I'm totally out of practice with Castlevania. However, once I restarted, took the non-canon route of murdering my potential allies to get new abilities (the first time in my life I've gone out of my way to take the evil route in a video game), and realized that quitting to the menu before a death could stick would preserve my 'no checkpoints' way of usually playing through these, I started getting really into it! I'm three levels in, mostly because only being able to die once makes the game a lot harder, but I'm super excited to jump back into it the next time I need to play something more demanding.

#1878 Posted by Shiftygism (1063 posts) -

Playing through Tell Tales' Walking Dead series, mannnnnnnnnnnnnnnn that Michonne mini-series had some style. The end credits song for the first episode ("Wolf" - First Aid Kit) has been on loop in my head since I first heard it.

#1879 Posted by revel (141 posts) -

I just played through the entirety of Quake 2 RTX. I built a new PC with a 2080ti. installed Steam and it said Quake 2 RTX is free and I had time So i downloaded and played. A bit of background. I'm a massive Quake 1 fan and still play it to this day. TBH Quake 2 was always an odd shift for me. I do not like how slow the weapons switch and the slow rockets and move to more techno art or whatever. I had beaten the game back in ~1998 or 1999 and played some DM matches people put on but really I didn't play it much then or since (may be once in mid 2000's or later?)

It was awesome to play through again and realize what people love about the game. There is so much to it. The biggest problems are the RTX game do not have the beginning and end cinematics and also no music. But otherwise its all there and really pretty and cool. There are some crazy Easter Eggs I didn't know existed like a picture of Carmack and his Ferrari! and also a crazy credits room. I never saw these back in the day.

A fun thing is after I beat the game I played with some graphics settings and you can actually murder the thing down to 15fps by setting the detail really high and set bounce lighting to high! If you crank everything up it is sorta hardly playable on 1 2080ti / 9960x.

I really hope somebody takes Quake 1 Dark Places and does an RTX + upgrade version of that!

#1880 Edited by FrodoBaggins (2101 posts) -

Apex Season 2 is fantastic. So much new content it's unreal. GOTY

#1881 Posted by haneybd87 (402 posts) -

I started playing Hades. This game is amazing. The combat is really fun and varied, the controls are super tight, the rogue-lite progression is really well done, the art style looks really cool, and the story conceit for why you’re making these repeated runs is absolutely top notch, the best of any rogue-like/lite.

#1882 Edited by yourbrain (46 posts) -

Not new games but I'm replaying Stardew Valley for like, the 10th time and started a new playthrough of Yakuza 0. Some depressing stuff happening in my life right now, and Stardew Valley is always a balm for the soul. And the crazy...everything in Yakuza 0 is an excellent distraction. And since since I'm really good at the combat at this point I feel invincible, which is just the encouragement I need right now. :]

Also Cat Quest, a goofy, easy rpg-lite. And finally getting around to Read Only Memories: 2064 (which has been in my Steam library for years) for a little bit of thinking. Gaming is good.

#1883 Posted by Heidegger (94 posts) -

Cool thread. After a 2-year break I'm back on gaming: enjoying Pro Career on Fifa 18 (where you only control one footballer and play in a more involving camera view) while together with her indoors free-roaming GTA V and Assassin's Creed Origins Discovery Tour. Both games have done an excellent job in creating their respective cities, hats off!

About an hour ago I whacked on Shenmue for the first time and was impressed with the baddie-introduction. Have it on japanese with subs, nicely immersive feel so far. Will play it a while to see if it bites.

#1884 Edited by casselld (18 posts) -

It's nice to see a thread that's just focused on this, but with positivity!

I've been getting way back into Final Fantasy XIV recently. I played for a whole summer back in 2015, and have pretty much dropped it since then. But a friend decided to play it, and I got into it to reconnect with him. We've played pretty much every night for the last two month, and I'm finally about to hit the new expansion. It's the best MMO experience I've ever personally had.

When I first played back in 2015, I skipped most of the cutscenes and ignored the story, much to my detriment. The writing in the game and the world that they've made is really great, and it only gets better as you step into expansions. While a lot of the content is very, very dry for the first 40 hours, it's mostly been on the upswing since then (aside from a few boring quest lines here and there, and most of the non-dungeon content in the ARR post-game).

However, despite some slow going here and there, I've been continually interested in it due to its amazing dungeon/raid design, great story, and amazing soundtrack. So excited to see what happens in the plot once I'm out of Stormblood!

#1885 Edited by ShaggE (9300 posts) -

Just started Detroit: Become Human, and man, I didn't realize how ready I was for a new David Cage banger. There's just something about these games that do it for me (even when Supermassive ate Quantic Dreams' lunch and did it better). I can't wait for things to start popping off and getting weird in the way that only these games can. We've already got some strange line deliveries and a hilariously rough "back of the bus" allegory, so I expect to be Matrix-fighting an evil internet in six hours or so. :D

#1886 Posted by liquiddragon (3526 posts) -

I'm playing Prince of Persia 2008 atm and I'm actually really enjoying it. I'm surprised by how satisfying the platforming is. It's very animation heavy and the timing windows are ridiculously generous so on paper it sounds terrible but they find ways to make it engaging beyond the flashy-ness of it. It's like if Uncharted or Assassin's Creed games actually cared about their platforming. It's very casual friendly but because they put most of their focus on the moving and jumping around instead of other gameplay mechanics, they managed to make it a lot more than just a means of travel.

I'm also kinda in love with it's music. It sounds familiar but it's very stirring. Idk if it's the right word but I keep wanting to call it iconic. It's really beautiful.

#1887 Posted by casselld (18 posts) -

@liquiddragon: I went back to PoP a few years ago and was really surprised by how much I liked it. I never finished it all the way through again, but I adore the visual style of that game. There's a fluidity to it that I don't think many other games have captured.

Sadly, I was playing the GoG version on PC, and it had some issues with my machine and frequently crashing to desktop. I should look at it again!

#1888 Posted by liquiddragon (3526 posts) -

@casselld: uplay has it on sale for $3.40 atm if you really do want to give it another look.

#1889 Posted by FacelessVixen (2664 posts) -

15 hours of Bloodstained Ritual of the Night, and I can confidently say that it's my favorite metroidvania.

Symphony of The Night's soundtrack is still the best, though.

#1891 Edited by Damptoe (46 posts) -

Shadowbringers is the best single player Final Fantasy game in two decades. The sequence of story, gameplay and music towards the end is incredible and everything leading up to it was already amazing. Plot lines that have been running for 6 years were wrapped up in the most satisfying way.

#1892 Posted by Mr_Ole_Blue629 (20 posts) -

Since working full time and juggling with being newly married there's not a whole lot of time for games but luckily during the weekends I am awake a few hours before my wife is so that's devoted to trying to beat whatever game I ma playing. Recently beat Persona 5 and had a blast playing it. Loved the music so much that I have the soundtrack on my phone so I listen to it wherever I am. The social link structure is better and the small stories for most of them are great. With the royal edition coming out that might be enough to get myself a ps4 maybe.

Currently I am juggling between Dragon Quest XI, MSGV, The Witcher 3 and Octopath Traveler. All fantastic games and if I feel bored of one then I can switch to another game for a few weeks.

#1893 Posted by Relkin (1214 posts) -

Been chugging along through my Wii backlog:

• No More Heroes: I had a good time, but farming cash in between boss fights got to be a chore real fast.
  • Super Mario Galaxy 2: Phenomenal, like the first. Got all 242 stars; had a fucking ball with this one.
  • Kirby's Epic Yarn: Feels like the epitome of what Kirby was original billed as: the entry level platformer. Ridiculously cute.
  • The Last Story: I think it's definitely the most interesting one of Mistwalker's three big games (TLS, Blue Dragon, Lost Odyssey), but it's also the most flawed of the three. It's...not a looker, for sure. It's technical performance is also fair at best, and awful at worst. The last several boss fights all played at like 15 fps. The story is also not particularly good. The first third or so of the game moves at a good clip, but it kind of fails to do anything interesting with the characters or the main plot and starts to drag. The combat is kind of the saving grace of the game. It starts off as this exceedingly simplistic action-RPG, but as they start to introduce more abilities, the combat becomes more about managing the entire battlefield, which it does fairly well.
#1894 Posted by stantongrouse (236 posts) -

Picked up Rayman Legends on the Switch in the current sale, having previously bought it on 360 and PC, partly to make playing it a bit more accessible for my partner who tends to want to use the Switch for everything now we have one. Man, that's a really, really good game. After a couple of hours I felt a pang of guilt I'd not considered it more for a recent top ten games thread on here - so thought I'd pop it in here for an honourable mention.

#1895 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

Haven’t played games in a week or so, but I fired-up What Remains of Edith Finch. Nice, short, sweet game. I’m not in love with it, but it was interesting. I’m glad I played it.

#1896 Edited by Humanity (18938 posts) -

@nutter said:

Haven’t played games in a week or so, but I fired-up What Remains of Edith Finch. Nice, short, sweet game. I’m not in love with it, but it was interesting. I’m glad I played it.

I always thought Gone Home was awfully overrated and as such kind of steered clear of Edith Finch for a while. Boy what a mistake because they are nothing alike! I really loved Edith Finch for that fantastical world they build. In retrospect, playing Outer Wilds (also published by Annapurna) really reminded me of it in the way it's such a lovingly bespoke experience. All the rooms, all the side stories, so unique.

While I didn't necessarily cry like Jeff B at the end I did get weirdly emotional. This story of a tragic family while having no relation to my own life experiences did manage to somehow get to me on an emotional level.

EDIT: As for myself, now that game releases have slowed to a typical crawl during the summer season - a phenomenon that continues to completely astound me from year to year - I've fallen into a massive Horizon 4 hole. I'm not a huge racing guy but the structure of the game makes it so.. err.. playable. The speed cameras, the zones, the events and the ever changing weekly seasons with their own special rewards and events keep me coming back for more. I've even dabbled with playing on manual transmission here and there.

It's gotten to the point where I'm actively looking for other games because it feels like I'm spending too much time on Horizon while I could be experiencing other video games.

#1897 Posted by nutter (2287 posts) -

@humanity: I was the opposite. I loved Gone Home and was more lukewarm on Edith Finch. I think I related more to Gone Home and enjoyed unearthing its story more.

Edith Finch did better things with the medium, though. The kite, the tub, the cannery all mixed cool game design into the story.

#1898 Posted by Heidegger (94 posts) -

Beholding PS4's Shadow of the Colossus on our 3x2m projector screen is pretty damn special. I can recommend anyone with a bare white wall to give up their TV and replace it with a home-cinema projector, makes gaming (and movies too, of course) into an epic event.

#1899 Posted by mezmero (3785 posts) -

Have to say I'm really loving the addition of challenges for Apex Legends Season 2. It's given me an excuse to experiment more with characters I wouldn't have before. According to my stats I have 0 damage as Bloodhound in season 1 which should tell you how little I use the character. However because I've picked him/her to complete challenges I've been unexpectedly wracking up wins with the character this season and might have to main him/her going forward. Turns out they're ultimate is extremely useful if you're somewhat vision impaired when it comes to open areas and while I could give or take the sonar wave it's actual usefulness has been making nearby enemies panic on top of simply revealing them. In the past several weeks I've platinum'd the game which should indicate my enthusiasm for it.

#1900 Posted by MrCaseyJones (153 posts) -

Dreams Early Access on PS4. I've been making about one thing a week (be it a game or animation). I hope more GB people can join and make/play stuff earlier than the final 1.0 release, which could be winter or early next year. But the tools are all there so in my mind it's done, and people are creating some amazing things already. Check out my stuff if you want, I have the same username there as here!