A positive thread about what you're currently playing

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech! First time I saw it I thought it was WAY too slow and wouldn't be fun, but after playing Slay the Spire and wanting something less run-based and more persistent: this was perfect. It helps that the difficulty curve was well thought out, the character designs for party members are excellent, and there's a lot to put on your wishlist as you progress in the game. Games stop being interesting to me fast if I stop wanting upgrades or can't find things to look forward to.

It's a fantastic romp I love it. Great little adventure clocking in at around 18 hours.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mr_ole_blue629: Oh wow that's hard to juggle! There's a game or two on that list that takes close to 100 hours each to complete.

DirtyBirdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I've been play Klei's new game Griftlands and I can't say enough good things about it. It's in Alpha right now so there is a lot of balancing needed but the core experience is fantastic. Klei is such a unique and creative studio. Also, their weekly art and dev streams are super fun and informative.

Hotpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm playing Witcher3, I know it’s kind of crazy that I’m just now starting this game, and I think this is fantastic

Mr_Ole_Blue629

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joedangerous: With the way I play games, all of them take about 100 hours each to complete haha.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I kinda bounced around Pillars of Eternity, Void Bastards, and Full Throttle, not really FULLY getting into any of them...

Because I needed more of that sweet, sweet Yakuza in my life. Following up last summer’s playthrough of Yakuza Zero with Yakuza Kiwami. I’m maybe 2 hours in and THRILLED that it’s more Yakuza.

I do wonder how many of these games I can play before this wears thin, though...

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotpot: Witcher 3 is PROBABLY my favorite game. Take your time with it, and don’t skip the DLC. It’s pretty stellar.

I’ve been doing this since before I can remember, going back to a Magnavox Odyssey and an Atari 2600. I’ve really loved a handful of games, but Witcher 3 is something VERY special.

TheRealTurk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hotpot

@nutter said:

@hotpot: Witcher 3 is PROBABLY my favorite game. Take your time with it, and don’t skip the DLC. It’s pretty stellar.

I’ve been doing this since before I can remember, going back to a Magnavox Odyssey and an Atari 2600. I’ve really loved a handful of games, but Witcher 3 is something VERY special.

Hearts of Stone in particular is probably the best DLC I've played. Ever. It's even better than Shadow Broker.

Heidegger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

After not really getting into Fallout: New Vegas & Fallout 4 (gave up both after the first couple of hours) I gave the series one last chance as I like the premise and am currently enjoying Fallout 3. The story build-up was much more effective in getting me interested in this world, and the wastelands look truly desolate. The graphics are a little dated now (on a 360) and the shooting is not great, but I'm feeling involved...a difficult trick to pull off in adventure-gaming.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@therealturk: And, by extension, better than Minerva’s Den. ;)

I actually loved both Hearts of Stone and Blood and Wine. I didn’t play them until last fall, and I fell of love with that game all over again.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

@therealturk said:

@hotpot

@nutter said:

Hearts of Stone in particular is probably the best DLC I've played. Ever. It's even better than Shadow Broker.

oh hell yeah, I also think Hearts of Stone is the best DLC EVER, tho admittedly, I'm no DLC expert.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

I've been playing Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and goddamn do I love 1st gen Pokemon. I thought I'd never play another Pokemon start to finish again but as a major Pokemon kid from that era, it's the perfect game for me. I love the attention to detail and the little twists and surprises. It's an absolute love letter.

The only issue is, I played REmake2 not too long ago and I really like that too so I'm clearly part of the problem...

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rock and Roll Racing for the SNES is pretty neat.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Playing FFXIV and I just got the Magitek Armor mount from FFVI, mounted up and it started playing Terra's theme from the intro. This game's alright.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#1915  Edited By FacelessVixen  Online

Less of a game and more of a monitor: the ASUS PG348Q. Still waiting for my 2080 Ti to ship, but if screwing around with a 1060 and 9900K is any indication, playing games that support 21:9 properly is going to be fucking awesome. Forza Horizon 3 was working surprisingly well with my new CPU and old GPU (due to it being more CPU bound, I guess), and seeing it in 21:9 around 60 frames at high settings was the hypest shit since getting back into PC gaming with a Celeron G1840 and a 750 Ti.

...It is a little too big for my desk and backlight bleed is a thing, though. Eh. I'll manage.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finishing out my Wii back catalog.

Muramasa: The Demon's Blade is fucking phenomenal. I played a couple hours of this game almost a decade ago on my older brother's Wii, and have been chomping at the bit to play it since I got my Wii U and started working through the shared Wii/U shared catalog of games. As usual, Vanillaware's art is incredibly good, both in motion and while still. It's also just a really well made 2D action game. I would say that my only issue with the game is that I'm just not that good at it; I struggled with a number of bosses (I fucking hated the Big Oni; probably the only boss in that game I think is outright bad), and there were certain regular enemies that gave me significant trouble throughout the whole game, regardless of how much better I was getting in general. I don't think I ever really got how to parry/deflect enemy attacks, besides projectiles, and that really hurt me in the long run. Favorite game for the Wii, bar none. Even over the two Super Mario Galaxy games.

Donkey Kong Country Returns is...very good, but also super disappointing. It's really impressive how well Retro did in replicating the fantastic level design of those old Rare SNES games, but being forced to use motion controls to perform basic functions is just killing it for me. How the hell isn't the Classic Controller compatible with this game? Having to shake the WiiMote to roll is just fucking terrible. Also, not being able to switch to Diddy is a shame. I always preferred playing as Diddy in the originals. Anyway, as much of a bummer this game has been, it has me very excited for Tropical Freeze on the Wii U. Being able to switch between characters, no motion controls...yeah that sounds like a good time.

PeezMachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I just finished Prey and now I'm doing the rouge-lite MooncrashDLC and they are both rad. If you're in the market for what i'm prepared to call a superior take on BioShock, then give it a look.

geirr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I'm very glad I stepped far outside my comfort zone and picked up SteamWorld Quest: Hand of Gilgamech.
It's such a chill and beautiful game, and I love the setting and characters.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1919  Edited By Shiftygism

I've been...uh..."exploring" retro gaming this week and I'm positive I owe my parents a shit ton of money for the crap I made them buy me as a kid. A lot of stinkers back in the day.

And some that I looked at with rose colored glasses as being the best in every aspect...weren't. Case in point the fielding in Ken Griffey Jr., sucks. That however, led me to trying out a whole host of other baseball titles, something I wouldn't have done when I was younger. I think it was EA's MLBPA baseball that I found to have the best fielding, while Griffey has the best graphics and batting, though I prefer the behind the mound view of Super Bases Loaded 1&3. Super Baseball 2020 was a nice surprise with its cool art design and budget perks, I'd love to see that get a remake or even someone use that for inspiration of a scene in a futuristic movie of some sorts.

Oh, and the Rare developed Griffey sequel was such an eyesore. Like how did anyone at Nintendo think that was a step up?

Also discovered that Haunting (GEN) game from EA, which is pretty shallow as far as gameplay is concerned, but a really great concept that I'm not entirely sure has been duplicated by any game since as a primary focus...

Loading Video...

Heidegger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Still enjoying Fallout 3. I'm not really paying too much attention to the deeper plot or RPG-elements, just like exploring, having the odd fight and doing some good deeds here and there. Easily the best Fallout game, I reckon.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I am currently playing Vampyr! it's janky in all the B-Game ways, and the combat is nothing to write home about, but the character moments are excellent. Dialogue is divided up like Mass Effect, but to access certain options you need hints about that person. You can find this through environmental cues, or from talking to other people in the area. It really feels like a world that's well-worn and lived-in, especially as you talk to different people that all know each other and slowly uncover, piece-by-piece, their stories. The last game I can remember being so enthralled with, socially, is Alpha Protocol. In a way, this game feels like another branch of Mass Effect 1; where Alpha Protocol took influence from Mass Effect to make dialogue that's truly impactful to the story, Vampyr eschews the time pressure aspect of it and makes simply talking to people an enjoyable activity, while limiting the consequence to general ambience and how you feel each person deserves to be treated. The voice acting is amazing (I am in love with the main character's voice actor tbh) and every new dialogue option is exciting to me.

SuperJoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 4

#1922  Edited By SuperJoe

I don't think I'll ever finish Yakuza 0 because all I want to do is level up my hostess club.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1923  Edited By FacelessVixen  Online

Little bits of Nier Automata to test out my new 2080 Ti.

Mother of god! 100 frames at 1440p! My 1080p setup with this game was passable with using FAR to lower the global illumination. But my current setup is fucking awesome! There really is something to frame rates over 60, and on an iffy port nonetheless! No 21:9 support, but fuckin' whatever about aspect ratios at this point!

Nier is definitely on my replay list!

DanThePostman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’m gushing over the Ys series again after picking up VIII on switch. While it’s janky on switch and prone to nasty frame drops, I forgot just how fun that world is as well as the frantic gameplay and I’m diving headfirst into the whole series again.

Eventually, I plan on streaming them to gear up for IX, but not having a fleshed out remake of V is deterring me a bit. I don’t necessarily want to pirate it for streaming purposes and having no real translation means the actual details of the game are up for interpretation, but at the same time, I feel motivated to at least play and complete it, even if details regarding plot aren’t 100% accurate.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1925  Edited By FacelessVixen  Online

The Steam version of Senran Kagura Peach Ball.

These games with these charming characters just never fail to make me smile. Just good vibes with pervy pinball.

...Also, it's fucking pinball!

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loading Video...

I've been playing Unavowed. It looked pretty fun in the quick look last year, and while I don't remember it coming up much later during GOTY talks, I figured it was worth giving it a shot.

Unavowed is pretty fun, as it turns out. I don't wanna overhype it, but it's a nicely done little gem. I think this whole secret magic community urban fantasy thing is basically just chuuni shit for people who never started watching anime, but I'm not above it by any means. I'm a big sucker for Eli specifically, the middle-aged wizard who's just wearing a suit and fedora.

What's kept it from getting more buzz is probably that it doesn't stand out too much. The writing is good enough to engage me, but it's not my favorite. The game looks good, but it's obviously built on the same framework as many of these titles, and they always get real awkward with animations. It doesn't stand out much from the crowd of other retro adventure games.

But that doesn't make it less fun, either. If you're up for a nice little paranormal detective agency story, I do recommend it.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

Finally got around to Astroneer and it's a lot of fun but a little more pointless than I initially anticipated. Actually I don't really know what I anticipate from these sort of games anymore. I used to love Minecraft and a large part of that was that apart from the resource collecting and transfusion element, it was like free form Lego building. You could sculpt anything out of these blocks and then use your alchemist lab to put in the glass windows and the doors and a lava waterfall. That is the element that always seems to be missing for me in these games. No Mans Sky and Astroneer are both similar in that you can deform the environment and research new tech.. but ultimately (and this is more true for Astroneer) you are researching new tools so that you can excavate new resources, in order to research newer tech, that will allow you to excavate just another resource. It's a loop that ultimately doesn't really lead anywhere and when you step back from it is kind of just busywork.

That said the process itself is still fun. Plugging in power supplies and managing cabling is strangely enjoyable and the entire aethetic is incredibly pleasing.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Rebel Galaxy Outlaw

I've got a few hours under my belt now and I have to say this game is a real treat. It's the Freelancer sequel I've been wanting for the past 15-16 years. If you consider it was made by a five-person team it's even more impressive.

I'm really looking forward to putting some time into it this weekend.

mikewhy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just finished revisiting the main campaign in Sleeping Dogs, now to do the DLC. I dunno, I alway really enjoyed this game, despite its flaws.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Risk of Rain 2- A wonderful, challenging roguelike that's a fantastic excuse to play with friends. I don't have a favourite survivor, as they're all fun- but I'm playing Mercenary as we speak, and loving it.

Final Fantasy 14- It was absolutely INCREDIBLE at the end of Heavensward/Post game, but now I made it to Stormblood and it's really boring again. We're talking fighting huge world ending dragons and weapons, then an hour later, killing crocodiles.

Karmosin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Disgaea 1 Complete.

Finished Disgaea 4 recently, so figured I'd go back before continuing forward to avoid too much mechanical whiplash. I'm kinda surprised how drawn in I am by the story in this one. I feel the cast gets fleshed out more than I expected.

Otherwise it's just more Disgaea goodness, but with less mechanics to be sure. I've hardly ever been so excited to see numbers go up.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I bought a Switch last week so here's a rundown of what I've been playing on it:

Mario Kart 8 Deluxe: Still Mario Kart. Still fun.

Fire Emblem Three Houses: Can't say I expected Type-0 vibes, but I welcome the changes; granted that the last Fire Emblem I played was Shadow Dragon.

Bayonetta 1: Not the first time that I've bought a game three time, but the Switch version might be the best version by virtue of the Nintendo cameos. It's pleasantly weird thinking of Bayo as a Nintendo franchise these days, but I'm glad that it's a thing and on a console that I very much like having. ...But, upskirt camera shots of Bayo in the Peach and Daisy consumes weirds me out but in a bad way; ironic coming from Mr. Senran Kagura and Ikkitousen, but T&A on a Nintendo system is just... I need an adult.

Tetris 99: Any place in the top 50 is a victory.

Astral Chain: This is why I bought a Switch, and goddamn does this game deliver as a "Best of Platinum" of a sorts; specifically taking and combining some mechanics from MadWorld, Metal Gear Rising, and Wonderful 101.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bus Simulator is pretty chill although NPCs getting jammed in doors is such a weird event. They halt in them and then lose all autonomy. Wouldn't mind a real world map but the one they've went with is very suburban and quiet. No pressure, no problems.

Dark Souls 2: Scholar of the First Sin: I fancied another run last night and playing this tired led to me getting crushed by the Pursuer half a dozen times. It's the one Souls game I feel I don't have a comfortable weapon or build for. As a result, it's still got that sense of mystery as the other games have been figured out.

jamesyfx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gotten back into Kerbal Space Program - seeing that trailer for KSP2 reminded me that.. hey. I can actually play the first game with some success! It's a lot of fun but I don't.. know.. why... Most of it is looking at a map screen setting up maneuver nodes!

I'm also playing Control on PC. Performance is way better than on day 1. I also flicked on all the ray tracing stuff to see what it looked like (on a 1080), and I had a 'wow' moment, for sure. Unplayable at 15-20 FPS at best, but still beautiful to see it rendered in front of me.

MerxWorx01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1935  Edited By MerxWorx01

I've put in several hours into Daemon X Machina and despite how much I agree with most of the reviewers regarding the gameplay being repetitive and the anime dialogue being cheesy I can't help but love the thing. It does fast paced mech combat relatively well and while my memories of playing Armor Core 1-3 aren't exactly the clearest it still does a good job of giving me the same feeling of boosting around enemies and turning enemy hardware into wreckage.

Thank God it gave me the option of putting the boost button on L3. It practically feels like how I played Armor Core 3 with a fast dual machine gun build boosting everywhere stopping only to reaquire nearby targets.

I don't think I could recommend DXM, never played the demo that people hated so I couldn't compare but it's more or less what I was looking for in a Armor Core style game.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bloodstained. It's kind of stupid.

Some of the stuff is so RIDICULOUSLY obscure, I have no idea how you'd find out about it EVER without a guide.

I'm just up to the "get the true ending" stuff. How the FUCK am I meant to FIND that armor that lets you walk on spikes? Use invert on a random screen. Then, the fact you have to cut a moon that's a part of a background with a SPECIFIC sword to unlock the true ending area?

Fuck me

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1937  Edited By FacelessVixen  Online

Mario Kart 8 and Tetris 99 are helping me get over my [competitive] multiplayer anxiety. I kinda feel up to going back to my PC for a Battlefield-esque shooter, but I'm having a lot of fun with my Switch at the moment.

@sombre: ...Have you played Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, bruv?

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Playing through Claire's story in the RE2 remake (already played Leon). Still really good. The B-Playthrough changes things up in some smart ways-- it's still the same game, but the change up some of the scares in smart ways.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So Sekiro, then. I get where the difficulty complaints come from but it's definitely something I want to master. What I'm getting so far is how Tenchu it is. So far, the environments do look to have stealth in mind and I do hope that keeps up. Getting a stealth blow in to cut a battle in half is satisfying and guys with firearms are a real threat.

Batman Arkham Knight is ... well, it's better when you're not behind the wheel. They've enhanced the gadgets in some ways and the detective stuff is nice, although not as prevalent as in Origins. Multi-fear takedowns are a great addition that allows you to take on groups from the shadows.

The Batmobile is awful, though. You know what's better than fighting all these tanks? Being so agile you could just glide past them. Remember in Arkham City when Batman had a grappling hook to take down walls? Batman doesn't. Apparently his explosive gel isn't strong enough to take down weak wooden walls. It took down weak CONCRETE walls in Asylum.

The story goes in some decent directions and I'd like to finish it up but .... y'know, tanks. I'd put Origins above this. It flows better.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Mario Kart 8 and Tetris 99 are helping me get over my [competitive] multiplayer anxiety. I kinda feel up to going back to my PC for a Battlefield-esque shooter, but I'm having a lot of fun with my Switch at the moment.

I don't remember SOTN being so obscure in 98 or whenever I played it, but I had a LOT more time back then so maybe I just...stumbled upon it?

I guess my problem with BS is how obscure it is, in 2019, without a guide. The whole "True ending" requisite is absolutely insane

Pooch516

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shindig said:

The story goes in some decent directions and I'd like to finish it up but .... y'know, tanks. I'd put Origins above this. It flows better.

I agree- I never quite got the hate Origins got- yes it was more of the same of what City had, but it felt like an expansion pack on top of City. Arkham Knight really felt like checking a bunch of "Best Of" missions off of a list, with the Batmobile thrown in way too often.

MonkeyKing1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 18

Solidly into Yakuza 6, a bit late to the party, but I am loving it like I love all Yakuza games.

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

#1943  Edited By mezmero

Playing Divinity: Original Sin 2 recently and I'm starting to really dig it. I never played the first game and so I'm sort of flailing haphazardly when it comes to building characters. I started as The Red Prince as a Conjuror because a) it's a class I typically play in RPGs and b) I thought the "cavorting with demons" in his Origin meant as much but I guess canonically he's suppose to be the Fighter of the group. Made Sebille a Knight, Lohse a Cleric, and the rest are their canonical classes. I believe I only have two major fights left in Fort Joy but I only just found out that I could have removed my Source collar a while ago. I think just the fact that I've made so much progress in the area while still collared makes me realize just how great of a game this is.

Also been playing Into The Breach again despite having gotten all the achievements long ago. Been systematically working on 4 island victories on Hard and only have 3 squads left to accomplish that (not including custom and random). Turns out this game is still fantasti-rastic.

KingBonesaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I’ve been having a hard time enjoying most games lately. Picked up NBA 2K20 since I usually pour a ton of time into the franchise each year but probably won’t get too into it until the regular season starts. The game seems to get released earlier each year which doesn’t make a ton of sense to me because devs need all the time they can get to “finish” the game and the games now almost always launch fairly broken. The core gameplay seems fantastic but with the amount of patches the game is getting (that are also fairly large) it’s hard to form an opinion on certain aspects of the gameplay because minor things are already adjusted.

On the Switch it’s been a wide array of great games that I haven’t put enough time into. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a blast and I really want to play more but I’ve been having trouble with actually wanting to sit down for a few hours and just lose myself in a game. Same goes for Fire Emblem and Bloodstained. Really looking forward to playing Dragon Quest XI again next weekend (hopefully) because I was having a blast with that game on PS4 before putting it down for whatever reason.

I’ve been enjoying messing around with the 8bitdo M30 controller (pretty sure Jeff has played with one on stream), especially in Smash Bros. of all games since I can map the SEGA style d-pad to the left analogue stick and I just find it really comfortable to use. Hori’s D-pad Joy-Con is excellent for me during my occasional Mario Maker adventures and pairing the Zelda themed one with the neon blue Joy-Con (to mimic Link’s clothes in BotW) is pretty cool looking if I do say so myself.

Been messing around with my Everdrive for Gameboy, really neat device that and its fun to play those old games again without worrying about dead batteries in the cartridges. Still mostly play Tetris and Kirby’s Pinball on it (yes I’m the guy who when they announced Tetris 99 decided to play original Tetris on gameboy instead of getting bodied online on Switch). I’m really happy my Gameboy pocket still works after all these years.

I’m not quite sure what big releases I’ll be getting this fall, part of me just wants to play more Assassin’s Creed Odyssey because it’s fun and I got it for fairly cheap around E3 time after previously skipping it last fall. With no new AC game this year maybe I should just play Odyssey because it feels weird when a franchise I’ve finished nearly every game in doesn’t have one coming in 2019. I’ve been thinking about Maybe finally playing Destiny 2 but since I don’t really do multiplayer stuff I’m not sure how much I’d get out of it. Destiny 1 was fun but I don’t think I ever got the last expansion.

Games are cool, neat to see that there are games that everybody enjoys out there.

Sombre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I’ve been having a hard time enjoying most games lately. Picked up NBA 2K20 since I usually pour a ton of time into the franchise each year but probably won’t get too into it until the regular season starts. The game seems to get released earlier each year which doesn’t make a ton of sense to me because devs need all the time they can get to “finish” the game and the games now almost always launch fairly broken. The core gameplay seems fantastic but with the amount of patches the game is getting (that are also fairly large) it’s hard to form an opinion on certain aspects of the gameplay because minor things are already adjusted.

On the Switch it’s been a wide array of great games that I haven’t put enough time into. Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 is a blast and I really want to play more but I’ve been having trouble with actually wanting to sit down for a few hours and just lose myself in a game. Same goes for Fire Emblem and Bloodstained. Really looking forward to playing Dragon Quest XI again next weekend (hopefully) because I was having a blast with that game on PS4 before putting it down for whatever reason.

I’ve been enjoying messing around with the 8bitdo M30 controller (pretty sure Jeff has played with one on stream), especially in Smash Bros. of all games since I can map the SEGA style d-pad to the left analogue stick and I just find it really comfortable to use. Hori’s D-pad Joy-Con is excellent for me during my occasional Mario Maker adventures and pairing the Zelda themed one with the neon blue Joy-Con (to mimic Link’s clothes in BotW) is pretty cool looking if I do say so myself.

Been messing around with my Everdrive for Gameboy, really neat device that and its fun to play those old games again without worrying about dead batteries in the cartridges. Still mostly play Tetris and Kirby’s Pinball on it (yes I’m the guy who when they announced Tetris 99 decided to play original Tetris on gameboy instead of getting bodied online on Switch). I’m really happy my Gameboy pocket still works after all these years.

I’m not quite sure what big releases I’ll be getting this fall, part of me just wants to play more Assassin’s Creed Odyssey because it’s fun and I got it for fairly cheap around E3 time after previously skipping it last fall. With no new AC game this year maybe I should just play Odyssey because it feels weird when a franchise I’ve finished nearly every game in doesn’t have one coming in 2019. I’ve been thinking about Maybe finally playing Destiny 2 but since I don’t really do multiplayer stuff I’m not sure how much I’d get out of it. Destiny 1 was fun but I don’t think I ever got the last expansion.

Games are cool, neat to see that there are games that everybody enjoys out there.

I played up to the first proper mission (bandits) in Fire Emblem. I'm dying to play it, but I can't bring myself to sit down and commit. I know I'll like it though

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sombre said:

@facelessvixen said:

I don't remember SOTN being so obscure in 98 or whenever I played it, but I had a LOT more time back then so maybe I just...stumbled upon it?

I guess my problem with BS is how obscure it is, in 2019, without a guide. The whole "True ending" requisite is absolutely insane

In that case, I'm willing to meet somewhere in the middle.

Since your memory of Symphony isn't as clear as mine, I can see how frustrating Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night (as opposed to Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon for the sake of clarity) since neither game holds your hand and guides you though it's story beats with objective markers and whatnot like most modern big-budget games seem to do these days. And, as disheartening as it is, I guess there are those people who just haven't made the connection between Castlevania and Bloodstained and have essentially gone into either one or the other and not be aware of what to expect.

But, I will say that the "obscurity" in Ritual of the Night is exaggerated since it's essentially a remix of ideas from Symphony of the Night and some of the other GBA and DS Castlevania games. Without getting into specific details about certain items for those like me who'd rather figure things out on their own, the games encourage exploration and experimentation. The things that got you around the map in Symphony also apply to Ritual, and getting to the true endings in both games share a similar process. I can't say that I needed a guide for Ritual since Symphony and Order of Ecclesia taught me what to look for so I'm a bit more aware of certain cues.

So, I dunno duder. I don't want my counter point to just be "git gud", but I will say that there are cases where it's less about the game and what it's intending to do, and more about the one playing it and what their expectations are, which really comes down to picking a battle between "Why is the game like this" and "Is there something that I'm not understanding or appreciating?"

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 24

I've been milking the hell out of act 2 in Divinity: Original Sin 2. I have to concede to the people around the internet who have trying to hammer this point home because this is one of the greatest RPGs I have ever played. The mechanics are obviously extremely praiseworthy for the amount of depth they offer but I'm kind of shocked that even the narrative side has started to get it's hooks in me. At first blush this fantasy universe appears to be pretty stock standard for the most part but there are starting to be some revelations about the world that are making me question some of the decisions I've made and will make. Not only am I intrigued about what the end game is going to look like from what I've learned but having picked the party members that I did are already making me genuinely consider playing the game over again to see how certain side stories fit in at the points I've been through. The Red Prince is still my primary and of all the origin characters I was not expecting him to have intercourse be such an intrinsic part of his story.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#1948  Edited By inevpatoria

For some reason I decided to give Star Wars Battlefront II a legitimate shake recently.

I don't love the shooting in the Battlefront games, particularly in player-versus-player combat situations where players can easily bob and weave away from the swimmy aiming reticle. But DICE recently launched the game's new cooperative mode - basically just the game's default advancing control points gametype with team of players versus AI opponents - and, turns out, it's a stakes-free way to run around, employ light strategy, and shoot enemies who run in dumbfounded straight lines.

I probably won't stick with it for very long. Already I'm playing a maximum of three matches before getting bored. But each play session I find myself thinking this is the sort of pace I wanted for the DICE Battlefront games from the beginning. Just a playground where I can live out brainless Star Wars combat fantasies.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Killer7.
Never played it before, i'm aware there are people who really don't like the game, and i'm only a couple hours in so maybe it'll go bad, but i'm really enjoying it at the moment.

FrodoBaggins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Apex Legends gets better and better. Respawn have knocked this battle royal out the park on their first try. Amazing. GoTY.

@mezmero: I love the divinity games but alas it goes downhill after act 2. Act 3 was bearable but act 4 I just couldn't push through.