A positive thread about what you're currently playing

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Monster Hunter World

Y'know, there really is something to just aimlessly walking around and collecting things for hours at a time.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

Holy hell, I just finished the Folding Screen Monkeys puzzle from Sekiro. Easily my favorite moment of the year. I was close to giving up and looking up the solution for the final monkey and then I noticed the paw prints on the ground. My jaw hit the floor when I slashed the air and realized he had been following me the entire time. The constant sounds of feet pitter-pattering behind me should have been the clue! Such an incredible feeling to finally figure it out.

Really hope it gets a mention in the GOTY discussions.

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

About halfway-ish through Yakuza 4. It really feels like it's pushing the envelope to where Yakuza 0 was, in terms of cutscenes and combat. If I understand correctly, this is the last game in the old engine, and then it moves on to the same engine that Yakuza 0 had. It's making me pretty excited to push through and finally get on to Yakuza 5,after which I plan to play Yakuza 0 again lmao.

It has frustrating moments and I still don't love how this series treats women or trans people, but it's been very cool to see the core writing evolve with each iteration.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Super Mario Galaxy. Holy shit.

So, I recently bought a Wii because I had never owned one. And, being 2019, I immediately modded that sucker. Long story short, I'll be buying a copy of Galaxy, because this game is absolutely brilliant and deserves my money. To put it into perspective, I never liked platformers very much. I'm shit at them, and when the Mario series went 3D, my frustration with them skyrocketed. So yeah, even the legendary Mario 64 is a game that I sort of hate. But this right here is such a masterpiece of design that I fell in love almost immediately. Every little planetoid offers something fun and unique, the controls are shockingly good given the controllers, and it still looks gorgeous today. Will I finish it? Hopefully, but again, I'm trash at the genre. Still... I see why everybody adored this game.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

#2055  Edited By liquiddragon

@the_nubster: Glad to hear you're liking Yakuza 4! Akiyama is my man!

@shagge: Nice! I love Galaxy, it's the shit. I actually have the opposite problem of being really bad at 2D Mario. I played through Mario 3 and World on the Switch this year and quite enjoyed them but got my ass handed thoroughly. My excuse is the joycons don't have a d-pad. I think it's probably just what you started with. I didn't grew up with a NES or SNES and only really started playing Mario games during the N64 era.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Started playing Death Stranding and what, you can rock the baby?! Game of the decade! lol I made the mistake of shaking the baby but swear to god that was an accident.

So far there is a lot to like about it. Tons of little odd details. Goofy shit like looking at the mirror and watching Reedus make silly faces. I never wanted a Monster energy drink in my life but maybe I'll get one tomorrow...anybody know which one's good?

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: Oh, totally. I'm terrible at 2D Mario as well, but I did at least beat 3 (with help passing off the controller between my cousins) and, err, the comically easy Mario Land, haha. Hell, I find the Kirby games challenging.

I don't feel so bad about my performance in Galaxy now, though... I've been watching the Game Grumps playthrough as I play, and Arin (who's actually good at Mario) has died more than I have so far, haha.

hansolol

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@liquiddragon: You can't go wrong with the standard green; best energy drink flavor on the market in my opinion. If you like Red Bull, there's Gronk. Not every store has it but it's the best alternate they've made.

And then they've got their Monster Juice line which I'm not a fan of. They just taste like . . . like juice.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2060  Edited By Onemanarmyy

just finished The Sexy Brutale in 2 sittings. Incredible story, cool audio-visual style & an all-around well made game. I loved how the game felt like a mixture of Bioshock, Majora's Mask, Cluedo & Luigi's Mansion, while still giving you gameplay that feels quite novel. Tequila Works also did a great job at giving you intricate bite-sized objectives in this big mansion where a ton of murders happen. This way, it's pretty clear what you're supposed to accomplish as a dozen characters all play out their own stories at the same time. The game does a pretty great job at maintaining a very upbeat partyvibe and contrasting that with the grimdark fates of the guests as you watch them in their final hours as they march towards their deaths. As you progress, slowly but surely you get a view of what goes down on an hourly basis. However, near the end there's still a whole extra layer left to the story to uncover. One that doesn't pop out of nowhere, yet is still surprising enough to blow your mind. And when you think about what it all could mean after you're done with the game, perhaps there's even a third layer to be found.

Sadly there was one murder where my own solution made more sense than the one the developers wanted you to do. Spent a good 1-2 hours on testing every option apart from the way simpler (but nonsensical) option that the game chose. I also needed an extra 10 minutes to figure out that you actually need to use your pocketwatch on a clock to set it as your startpoint. The tutorial page for clocks did mention this was a possibility , but never told you how to actually do it. Another annoyance was the manner in which the map is presented to you. The map layout is done in a way where the different floors of the mansion are all put on the same paper in the menu for you to browse around. On one hand , that really helped give it that Cluedo boardgame feel that suits the vibe of the game. On the other hand, it took me a few hours before i realized i could actually see more than just the current floor i was on if i just flicked the right analog stick past the white space between floormaps. Having the default map zoomed out enough in the menu to make you realize that the floors are all visible at the same time would've solved that issue. There was also one instance of an english sentence where two names had to be switched up to make sense. (A before B so that A sees an event happen to B ... instead of A before B so that B sees an event happen to A). Oh well, a small error that isn't indicative of the overall quality of the writing. This is a story i had to see all the way through as soon as i started playing and one that i will think about for quite some time.

I managed to 100% The Sexy Brutale on my first try since the collectibles are not too crazily hidden and the menu gives you a decent list of the stuff you need to find and where & how you should get it . All in all, The Sexy Brutale should give you a good 6-12 hours of fun.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shagge: The spin attack is super powerful in the Galaxy games so as long as you get a handle on the movement and the controls, it'll be hard not to have fun with the first one. If you're up for more challenge, try the 2nd one. A lot of ppl seem to like that one better but I much prefer the 1st.

@hansolol: haha thanks! I actually quite like the taste of Red Bull, tho I haven't had it in many years. I'll try to see if I can get my hands on Gronk. Otherwise, I'll check out the standard green.

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

Finished a full Normal run in Void Bastards and thought it was fantastic. I know procedural generation is a dirty word for some gamers but this is one of the coolest narrative justifications for it I've seen in a Rogue-esque-ish-lite-like and it made for a super fun experience. Not sure if these challenge modes are worth doing when I can barely beat a level on Hard much less Very-Hard.

Been playing a bunch of A Plague Tale: Innocence. Have to be honest, the game and level design are quite dull and contrived as hell. That said I really love what this game is doing stylistically and thematically so I'm compelled to finish it. I'm just so enamored by these rag-tag young people scraping by with pluck, stealth, and SCIENCE!

Avatar image for sloppydetective
SloppyDetective

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

@liquiddragon: Loco Mango is a pretty good monster flavor imo.

I started Death Stranding today. I wasn't planning on picking this up for a while, but it was on sale for $40 at Gamestop and I needed to trade in Control before it lost all value. So here I am in chapter 2 and I love the art design of this game. The story is already too much Kojima but I have to say no one talks enough about how well Kojima employs cinematic techniques now days. So many games cut scenes are just establishing shot, medium shot, reverse shot until a conversation or scenario is over then the camera might pull out a bit before cutting back to player control. Kojima and his team actually get into some interesting blocking and staging in their scenes. Couple this with the balls out visuals and it just feels leagues ahead of how most games present themselves. I know Jeff loves to shit on movies but video games as a whole still have a lot they can learn from them.

I'm not sure how I would've felt about this game if I picked it up day one and knew next to nothing about it. After watching SuperBunnyHops really great video on it I felt like I had such a strong sense of what this game is asking of the player that I instantly got a hold of the main game play loop. The freaking menus are a confusing mess though. I'm excited to get to the next chapter where things are supposed to open up. I'm really up for a meditative chill game right now.

MoonlightMoth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

Currently trying Phoenix Point via game pass. Really enjoying it for the most part; love the Disciples of Anu and the faction system, but either I'm terrible or the game seems to get hard fast with it's bigger, tougher monsters.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

It's just as I thought two months ago. I needed more than just a weekend to enjoy the game, and I'm actually able to do that now over the next four weeks. Weapon durability still bothers me, but after playing Dying Light recently, it can be made manageable. And getting one-shotted by seemingly basic enemies is never not frustrating.

But overall, I can vouch for Breath of the Wild. It's still neither my favorite Zelda (which is still Wind Waker) or open-world exploration game, but it's still pretty good.

beforet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started playing Death Stranding and started a new save for Final Fantasy 15: Windows Edition.

With Death Stranding I can already kind of see what a lot of people are talking about. I'm in chapter 2 and I'm kind of just focusing on the main plot until I get to chapter 3 which I hear is where things really pick up. But I think I like the basic movement and delivery aspect of that game, and the building stuff I've heard about sounds very promising. I have not had to actually fight anything so far, which sounds like hell. The story and writing seem really rough already but honestly it's going to take a heroic effort to make a story more disappointing that MGS5 (which was otherwise my favorite in the franchise but they ruined Ocelot and I will never forgive for that).

I played FF15 when it launched and liked it well enough. After I finished it I heard about how Square was gonna go and patch in the story and plot that the original game was missing because holy shit, that game just did not seem to think that story critical events or characterization should happen on screen. I decided that if I were going to see that stuff it would be after they were done, and with all of the remaining DLC for this game being cancelled I think I can conclude that they are done.

And I'm doing all of this to kind of fill in time before the Kingdom Hearts 3 DLC releases at the end of January.

Skoot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2067  Edited By Skoot

Having fun mindlessly playing Assassin's Creed Syndicate. The grappling hook/zipline thing was a good addition. They should have carried that over into the newer games!

They could have made it less industrial for the time settings in the newer games that take place in Egypt and Rome. Like a spear on a rope or something.

niko_of_death

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2068  Edited By niko_of_death

Dragon Quest XI strikes an incredible balance between series/genre tradition and modernization. Playing it (or rather replaying it, although I'm farther now in the Switch version than I ever was in the PC version) alongside DQII and VII really makes me appreciate this. Whereas Final Fantasy's attempts to stray from genre norms miss more often than hit for me (XII being the main exception), DQXI has perhaps the perfect middle ground between traditional and modern (for the series, that is, as I feel tradition is a very important part of the franchise). The overworld is far more detailed and lively, but still distinctly feels like a JRPG overworld. The skill tree is impactful enough to not feel superfluous, while also simple enough to feel like an addition to the progression system, rather than an overhaul of it. Hell, even something as small as including the XP needed to level up in the attributes but keeping the Divination option in churches for the sake of tradition is really nice.

I do wish Party Talk was more dynamic like it was in earlier games though; In DQVII most of the time when I think "I wonder what Maribel thinks about that conversation" she has a party talk line about it, whereas when I'm really curious what Hendrik has to say about a side conversation it's still just the general plot/area party talk. I do understand that it's an immense amount of work (the pictures of DQVII's script are scary), but it's disappointing nonetheless (and probably the only "major" disappointment I have with the game).

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Star Wars Battlefront II 2017.

I think I'm over my multiplayer anxiety. No heart palpitations. No legit rage when the kill-death ratio is 1-to-20. Just havin' fun with some Star Wars shit.

*in the voice of Rich Evans* AT-ST's! AT-ST's!

BrunoTheThird

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2070  Edited By BrunoTheThird  Online

@facelessvixen: I think one of the best, most satisfying things in life is staring a profoundly crippling anxiety in the face and saying, "Oh, just fuck off." Doing the scary thing to spite the anxiety works more often than it doesn't, for me.

I'm super glad you're in that head-space with it now, however you approached it. You might say you're no longer...defeatable. Have a great time!

devise22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Finally got around to getting and starting The Outer Worlds. I really dig it thus far, only just got the two companions and am off the starting tutorial planet area. Absolutely one of those games, the combat is a bit more enjoyable than I thought it would be going in. Especially going full handgun/longgun. I'll also say Shoemaker was right that to get the most value out of the games systems throwing it on hard helps. At that point the perks and much more of the stuff seems to matter. Pretty good dialogue/events thus far. The world has me, convinced I'm going to end up being the villain of the story regardless of how I play though. Mostly because change in general seems to be awful in this universe, even though they live awful already. Adds some moral grey to the big consequence decisions, especially when characters directly try to talk to you out of doing something even if you know it's right etc.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2072  Edited By doctordonkey

Enjoying Blasphemous quite a bit. The pixel art is fucking stunning, it's dark and disturbing in all the right ways. Atmosphere is on point too, a lot of twisted religious imagery and cryptic speech, although sometimes the dialogue gets a little too Dark Soulsy, maybe a bit too on the nose in spots. The combat isn't as tight as Hollow Knight, but the hits have a great weight to them and the controls are responsive.

I'm playing after the December patch, which supposedly fixed a ton of the problems people had with the platforming, which is pretty key in a Metroidvania. I haven't finished it yet, but I'd say you could add this to the ever growing pantheon of quality Kickstarter funded Metroidvanias.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got 100% in Hitman (2016) before jumping into Hitman 2, on my first comparison mission in Sapienza I noticed the new rag doll physics as a woman I punched immediately shot up to the ceiling. This should be entertaining...

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Finally playing Control, and damn! Other than some unfortunate texture loading issues that I can't seem to fix and a bit of jank with traversal, I love everything about this so far. It's challenging and fun, the destruction physics are very cool (as are the various visual effects, many of which I've never seen any game do before), and Remedy's taste for Twin Peaks weirdness and unexpected humor complements their "Not SCP but totally SCP wink wink" setting beautifully.

Also, (not a spoiler, it happens very early on), I fought an angry Soviet floppy disk with telekinetic powers. Game of the damn year.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Man's Sky

I played my fill of it when it released, and only now got back into it over my holiday break. This game is in a very different place than it was at launch. The list of updates is impressive.

We've had a group of two to four most of the time, and it's been a lot of fun. We've been just dinkin' around or doing missions, and even became neighbors when we built our bases near each other. I found a nice planet with a portal on the beach, and now we've all got waterfront homes near the portal.

There's a lot to do in this game. There's enough that I've resorted to making myself a to-do list. A little base renovation here, some fleet management there, tracking down drop pods and secure facilities, a mission or two, salvaging data to unlock blueprints... and the list goes on.

If you've never played before or haven't played in awhile check it out.

pewpewphil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been playing Age Of Wonders : Planetfall, best way to describe it is Xcom and Civ had a Sci-fi baby. This is my first Age of wonders game, and also my first Paradox interactive published game. I've been playing Firaxis games (Civ and Xcom) ever since 2000, and there hasn't been another 4X game (other than Total War: Warhammer) which has kept my attention until now. This game has won some game awards and from that I purchased it since it was on sale.

Putting about 11 hours into it, I enjoy the combat phase, controlling small but powerful armies in an xcom style battle. There are also heroes which have some many skills they are borderline a DnD character. The depth to this game is great, and I look forward to playing tons more hours into it. I've gotten used to the AA quality of the game but for a $40 US ($56 Can) the game is really punching above its weight here.

Ginormous76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

CoD: MW 2019 - Shipment 24/7 is the most online multiplayer fun I have had in years

A Plague Tale: Innocence - Having fun surviving

Pokemon Shield: We're going to need a bigger pokeball.

yourbrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Got Judgment for Christmas and I am currently at about 28 hours in on chapter 6. Love it for the most part, though I am a bit sad about the lack of karaoke. Have to agree with Alex - the Yakuza/Judgment world is the video game equivalent of comfort food for me. :]

Also Baba is You in short bursts, and I am indeed an idiot and a genius.

Kind Words - in my experience (around 2 hours worth according to Steam, got it around Christmas) still defying the odds by being 100% wholesome and 99.5% earnest. Not much to it, but for a quick burst of goodwill it works.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

PSN is doing their yearly recap stats again!

LINK!

34 games across 1,044 hrs of 252 days with my longest play session being 10hrs.

Top 3 games...

1. Fire Pro Wrestling World - 369hrs
  2. WWE 2K19 - 159hrs
  3. Assassin's Creed: Origins - 122hrs

Don't know how much of that is inflated by dozing off while playing.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know how many times they've done this, but heads up, they're cycling through the Hitman 2 Elusive Targets again starting tomorrow with Sean Bean.

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I played through Watch Dogs 2 and it was a real pleasant surprise. I really enjoy contemporary settings in open world games but they don't seem to come by that frequently these days. I know WD2 had decent word of mouth but after the tepid response of the first one, I didn't go into it with much expectations.

I was really happy to find out it's an open world stealth game where the player doesn't have to get their hands dirty. There is some decent level design and the upper tier upgrades are meaningful collectibles that encourage exploration of the beautiful city. I've never been to San Fran so didn't know what to expect from the locale but Ubi, as always, did a great job with that part of the game.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2082  Edited By Shiftygism

@liquiddragon: I didn't care for the missions much, but multiplayer and just messing around in that world was great fun. Seriously, I don't think there's an open world game that can hold a candle to the hijinks you can get away with in WD2...

Loading Video...