A positive thread about what you're currently playing

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 9

#2101  Edited By nutter

@sloppydetective: Yeah, it’s not quite a gondola...more of a horizontal elevator...if there’s a name for those. I think you hit a button and wait for this platform to come your way. I want to say it brought you to some object toward the end of the game, maybe right before the maze. MAYBE it’s right before you get the walkman, or right afterwards...

EDIT: Looks like it’s while following Ahti’s visions:

https://www.ign.com/wikis/control/Finnish_Tango_Walkthrough

There’s a screenshot of the control panel and another of the gondola/lift/platform in that link at the bottom of the page.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This thread has been too quiet!

I played through Leon A and Claire B in the Resident Evil 2 remake. This game is fucking great!

I play more for story, mood, etc. these days, so I played the game on Assisted for my first playthrough. Yeah, it was too easy and I had way too much ammo and healing gear, but I had fun just going through the game world.

For playthrough B I tried Normal, but quickly realized that I fucked-up by letting Mr. X loose on me WAY too early. Mr. X’s presence itself was MOSTLY fine. The problem was that I could spend 20-30 mins sitting in hiding, only to have him appear everywhere I was trying to go.

It was annoying from the perspective of not having a ton of time to play games, so I restarted and avoided the Stars Office hallway until I had done everything else possible. This made the experience much better.

The extra modes are totally okay, I guess. I’d rather have more story than they gave me, but I played the Mayor’s daughter and the gun shop owner’s missions, and they were alright.

I’m kinda bummed out that the stories of Leon A and Claire B don’t make sense when put together. It feels like if they just did different things with a few puzzles and a couple of key bosses, their stories could have co-existed as canon of some sort. As it is, the story doesn’t really work due to inconsistencies that the developers surely were aware of, but just sort of said “fuck it” about...

I had a ton of fun and will probably Claire A / Leon B on normal at some point.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not a ton to say about Wolfenstein Youngblood yet, but the opening few hours are really cool! It’s co-op Wolfenstein!

There will clearly be too few cutscenes and character moments, and Soph and Jess are alt-history Beavis and Butthead, but the combat is a lot of fun.

Exploration is cool, with the caveat that finding collectables in Wolfenstein games is always a pain in the ass.

Leveling and customizing is fun.

It’s early, so I’m sure everything is about to get more bland and settle into a million side quests, but I’m really enjoying it so far and will continue to play until that enjoyment stops.

Bummed out I didn’t find time for either of these games in 2019. Happy to be enjoying them now, though!

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I really only have time on the weekends to play for extended periods of time, but I've been entrenched in God of War (2018) lately. I'm not deep into the game—probably on only the sixth or seventh main story mission—but I've really enjoyed it to this point. There is something pleasurable about being distracted by the game's side missions (much to Kratos's obvious disdain) because they're all hand-crafted, bespoke experiences. It's the rare game that strikes the balance of being somewhat linear while also offering this expansive, reactive, detail-ridden world.

Casepb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I've been enjoying some Wolcen and The Division 2. I'm actually surprised I like The Division 2 because I wasn't a big fan of the first. They really made shotguns a lot better, and the new map just feels more interesting I guess. I'm pretty curious to get a signature weapon as well.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

No Man's Sky

I started a new save over my Christmas break and 225-ish hours later I've done everything I wanted to do. I've got a base at the centers of the Euclid and Eissentam galaxies, an Activated Indium mine producing 100M-ish units per day, the ships and freighter I'm happy with, and I completed all the storylines.

I just realized I didn't do anything with the guilds except what was required for the story. Hmm, maybe I'll dive back in and do some of that.

I've got a list of things I'd like to see fixed or improved, but if you consider where the game started it's in a really good place. And there's another update coming soon (?) that has to do with some kind of egg? Sure, I'm down for more.

Ryse: Son of Rome

If you feel like using relatively simple gameplay mechanics to hack your way through hordes of barbarians this is the game for you. It's all-around decent, and a good way to kill an afternoon if you have Game Pass.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bane: I really dig Ryse. I’d suggest playing on the hardest difficulty abailable to make the combat less mind-numbing, but I still think it’s a cool game.

Relkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2108  Edited By Relkin

Finished Yakuza 0 recently, and I adore that game. Having never played a game in the franchise before, I don't really know what's coming with the later games, but I haven't been this excited about a series in quite some time. I loved both characters storylines: Kiryu fighting against the family, and Majima's struggling with the situation with his target. The heroes, the villains, it really was a great cast overall, with maybe Shibusawa being the weak link in the bunch, but I think that's mainly because they took too long to develop him.

Also played through the remastered Uncharted trilogy, and those games are just as good as they're made out to be. Not really a ton to say about those apart from that the performances were great, and that they were all fun romps. I greatly look forward to playing 4 and the Lost Legacy sometime in the future.

While I also look forward to digging into the Yakuza franchise, I think that series's longevity is both exciting in that I have so much more to enjoy in that universe, and intimidating as hell. Kiwami, Kiwami 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, Judgement, and now 7 sometime soon? That's quite a bit. I think I'll space them out over the next few years.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 14

Final Fantasy 15

Since it was on Game Pass it was a really low barrier to entry. I’m really digging it! It’s pretty fun and I like a lot of the trappings around it.

I even watched that Kingsglaive movie and it does add a whole lot of backstory and character motivation.

Hairyreddog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I started playing Fallout 4 again. I beat it when it came out but for some reason it just felt soul-less. I love Bethesda RPG's. Played through Morrowind, Oblivion, Fallout 3, Skyrim... but Fallout 4 just felt tired. Anyway, I'm at the end game now and I must admit the gameplay is vastly improved over Fallout 3/NV. I enjoy the crafting and base building... But the story and environment is lacking. I really hope Starfield and ES6 is a supreme return to form.

JoeDangerous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2111  Edited By JoeDangerous

@nutter: Hey me too! We're in a similar boat. Enjoying the customization and gunplay. We killed one of those big brother robots and accidentally wandered into one of the main raids I guess! Boy those shotguns and throwing knives seem powerful.

nutter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@joedangerous: Played that first bit solo. Have a friend that I might hook-up with to keep going.

Not sure what all the fuss was about this one...good stuff.

Pezen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Been enjoying Death Stranding quite a bit, probably less for it’s story (so much exposition and repetition) and more for general exploration and problem solving. Made an early mission into a personal puzzle. Made a long trek over really steep terrain, building ropes and ladders as bridges. Built a watchtower high up on a rock just wide enough for it. Once I got to my destination I realized I had made the trek twice as complicated as it needed to be.. but I had such a good time doing it that it was still worth it.

Going strong on Modern Warfare’s season 2, Ghost is my BFF so having him now is like being robbed by nostalgia because how can I not buy the season pass? But still, having a blast

ghost_cat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've never played the first Resident Evil until last night. That is a way better game than I expected, and the soundtrack is pretty killer!

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I finally downloaded Yakuza Kiwami after having it in my Playstation Plus library since whenever it came out. I'd been sludging through post-game deliveries in Death Stranding for my stress-free podcast game du jour (with Apex and Dead Cells on the side) when I realized I just didn't have the patience for the BT fields post-story and was ruining even the things I really liked about the game in the process.

That game was the definition of rough around the edges, from a totally incoherent plot to a shoddy at best gameplay loop, and yet I was completely enveloped in it. I collected my first debt February 11th and walked 1km hand-in-hand with Haruka on February 18th with 40 hours played. I yanked myself away before I dove too deep into the post-game content after reminding myself I found the gambling incomprehensible and the fighting completely whatever, but I also immediately fired up Yakuza Zero and with the wheels of the plot finally getting in motion about 2-3 hours in I'm really blown away by the difference in polish. Not just the cutscenes but the fighting engine, world detail, dialogue, just everything is like a Kiwami take on Kiwami.

I have the Yakuza disease Alex caught two years ago, and apparently the only cure is more Yakuza! It's a funky experience playing a game so full of dialogue that I'm also typically listening to something else while playing, but it's also kind of nice to have a game that's telling me a story and I can fully take in that story while also making progress on all the other things I want to make progress on because the spoken dialogue is essentially white noise for me.

If I comfortably purchase a 1080p or 4K television with a PS5 this winter, it'll be because I wound up getting the remastered collection of 3, 4 and 5 after this, which if I finish will likely have led to a Yakuza 6 discount on PSN by that point because why wouldn't it, followed by Judgement just to top it off. There's something about the bland beat-em-up and totally bonkers main plot / side quest combination that absolutely tickles me right now. I've seen all the warnings that fatigue will set in hard and I worry about that for sure, but right now I'm all in for the forseeable future.

Morrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#2116  Edited By Morrow

The Ultimate Upgrade made me play Warriors Orochi 4 again. It can be repetitive and a grind if you're going for all the trophies, but I really like the characters.

I used to write little scenes and dialogue snippets about them, that were probably way out of character, but it was a nice addition to playing the game and somehow gave it more life.

I wish Koei would bother to give the game English voices, it would be a lot more immersive for me because I would actually understand what characters are saying during the battle. That was a nice little addition in the Sengoku Basara game. It made me feel more connected with the characters.

Shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2117  Edited By Shiftygism

I bought the Spider-Man dlc awhile back, and I dived in this morning after platting the game a year ago. I'm positive I've forgotten the in and outs of combat.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Titanfall 2 is still every bit as fantastic as it was when it came out. The fluidity in movement is still unmatched and the game is pretty balanced (barring SMG's on PC).

Still a damn shame this thing got sandwiched between big releases and didn't sell nearly as much as it deserved too, and it was mostly EA's fault flubbing the marketing and sending it out to die.

EmmaRo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just as of late began playing The Witcher 3 and what quickly struck me was the score. It's not something I truly saw or recall about W2 yet the music in W3 is emotional and moving, now and again frequenting even. It truly sets the state of mind and gives the experience a tone I kinda expected, yet especially needed.

Bane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@emmaro said:

Just as of late began playing The Witcher 3 and what quickly struck me was the score. It's not something I truly saw or recall about W2 yet the music in W3 is emotional and moving, now and again frequenting even. It truly sets the state of mind and gives the experience a tone I kinda expected, yet especially needed.

The Witcher series soundtracks are in my top three alongside Elder Scrolls and Mass Effect.

Your comment about Witcher 2 made me go and look at the Best Of: The Witcher playlist I made for myself to see how many tracks come from each game.

14 from The Witcher
14 from Witcher 2
47 from Witcher 3 and the expansions

The tracks from Witcher 2 have the most plays!

liquiddragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 16

@bane: I think that's a spam bot. It's like a fucked up ver. of what I wrote in the OP.

inevpatoria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I've never played the first Resident Evil until last night. That is a way better game than I expected, and the soundtrack is pretty killer!

I don't know the specific version of Resident Evil you're playing, but every time someone uses "first Resident Evil" and "soundtrack" in the same sentence, I think of this:

Loading Video...

mezmero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 25

#2123  Edited By mezmero

Played a full Iron Man run on Commander (Hard) in XCOM2+War of the Chosen. Yup, still an all time favorite game of mine. I even got the achievement for beating the final mission with conventional gear only. It got pretty hairy near the end but I pulled it off. If I wasn't using that basic gear it would have been a cake walk since my soldiers were so damn powerful. Started a new run on Legendary and have no qualms about scumming my way through for a few more achievos.

Played a few hours of Tales of Vesperia: Definitive Edition. Mmmmm that's some good anime-ass anime. I'm not quite sure how to phrase this but there's a weird charm to how mediocre it is? Like it came out of a JRPG-making factory yet at the highest quality you could imagine? Repede is a pretty cool dude.

DarkeyeHails

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

I just beat the Link's Awakening remake. That's a neat game. There's kinda no story to it besides the central premise, which I was spoiled on like 30 years ago, but it was so charming I was still moved by the ending. Following the owl telling you where to go maybe isn't super compelling, but there are so many odd and unusual little quirks to it, like all the Mario enemies, the perspective shifts and the prominent jumping that it doesn't feel like any other Zelda.

I also really like the look of it. The tilt shift in the overworld can get a little annoying to me. It looks nice and all, but sometimes I'd like to see more than three meters in front of me. Overall though, I think the way they translated this Game Boy game into something modern while still retaining so much of the original's design is kinda amazing.

@mezmero Tales of Vesperia is the king of anime-ass generic JRPGs. I feel like they've tried a bunch of different systems and stories, but for that one they just went "Alright, we're gonne do this as basic as we can, but we're gonna make it solid". I enjoyed it a whole lot back on 360.

@darkeyehails said:

@shiftygism: Enjoy Screwball!

No Caption Provided