A question for people that beat NIER (Spoilers)

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Ok so I recently beat NIER, I know I may be about 4 years late.. I was going to make a whole thread about how it's simultaneously a revolutionary, completley unique experience and a completely awful game but decided that there were a few threads about that already so instead I have a fairly specific question for those of you that also beat it.

So lately when I've been playing these Japanese games I've been sort of feeling like a complete idiot - and I consider myself a fairly intelligent person so this bothers me to no end. When you guys beat NIER for the first time, did you get it?

I thought NIER was really fascinating and the story piqued my interest from the start. The game itself ranged from middling to downright terrible but I persevered because I was really waiting for this info dump at the end... and it never happened, for me anyway. Bewildered I quickly went to some Wikis and started reading what the fuck was actually going on. So apparently there was a terrible disease during the prologue, and the Gestalt Program separated souls from the body so that they can live on until the disease subsides and the 'Gestalts' can merge back with their bodies 'replicants.' Something went wrong and the replicant bodies began developing their own consciousness while gestalts began going feral.

There is more to all this but man, I did not get all that from the snippets of info at the end AT ALL. I got that Devola says that Shades are the remnants of humanity and that all the "people" left alive are just copies. You get those 4 documents that I read through about 10 times but it seemed very vague and I wasn't sure what a Gestalt was and I'm still not sure how the books actually accommodate this entire process.

So the my main question is, I guess, do you get all this information from subsequent playthroughs (I know there is more dialog and stuff as I started a NG+ and read through all the Kaine stuff) - OR - am I just an idiot and everyone else pieced this together just fine?

ervonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ervonymous

I went in only knowing that NIER takes place after the Drakengard E ending, that helped in parsing together the initial scene and the Gestalt reveal. It's been years but I don't think it was particularly convoluted or completely out of left field. As for the subsequent playthroughs - I usually hate prolonging games with extra content that's not available on the first go (Tales of -series secret dungeons) but here they are a key part of the overall experience and narrative. Get on that.

Glad to hear you liked it, though. The combat and fetch quests were really basic but I thought the boss fights were pretty unique and interesting.

xyzygy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By xyzygy

One thing that I found unique about Nier is that each time you beat the game, your next playthrough will have more hints and clues about the story. The final playthrough ending is the most fleshed out and basically gives you all the answers. I think that's how it worked.... or maybe each ending was from a different aspect? I think it goes from ending A to E.

Depressing game huh?

Mento

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 212

#4 Mento  Moderator

Subsequent endings help a lot. Once you've learned after the first playthrough that shades are disembodied humans, all the bosses and other major shade characters are given subtitled dialogue the next time around. It gives you a far better sense of the horrors you've been perpetrating, and the relationship between them and you.

The third and fourth endings don't add too much more to the mythology, but they pretty much wrap everything up. And how.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Humanity

@ervonymous: It's really hard to say that I "enjoyed" NIER. There were times when the game was downright awful - there were a lot of those times. Graphically it looks extremely dated, although the Shade effects managed to always be really neat looking. The sidequests were the epitome of monotony. The entire game is structured around backtracking through the same handful of areas over and over again and the combat is adequate at best - but without a reliable lock-on can become incredibly frustrating as you dash right by your enemies time and time again.

Then on the other hand the story is so engaging that I wanted to keep playing despite myself. Everything in my body was saying "wow this is not a very enjoyable experience, you can do something more constructive than sitting here, grinding your teeth as you run through the Northern Plains for the nth time." But despite all that, the highs are definitely so high. The stories are all tragic in a remarkably realistic and touching way. The characters despite a complete lack of development, are engaging. The boss fights are extremely clever. And dare I say, they take some mighty creative liberties with their camera use - for better and worse. (That Resident Evil part... oh man)

What is fascinating about NIER is that in the right hands, this could have been Game of the Year material easily. The developer had the right intentions but not enough force behind the follow-through. What is more depressing than the story itself, is that this brilliant narrative is completely shrouded behind a game that on the surface looks incredibly lazy and simplistic. Yet there are so many systems! The fishing - completely superfluous to the entire game. When I read the tutorial for riding boar and saw "hold RT or LT to drift" I could hardly believe my eyes.

This is another title on a long list of games that I really wish were re-made for next gen or received a proper sequel.

Also - thanks for the info, glad to know I'm not a COMPLETE idiot in not really "getting it" on the first playthrough.

Wemibelle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 76

User Lists: 11

@humanity: I immediately went to a wiki and filled in all the information that wasn't plainly spelled out in the game (and there is a bit) or that I had managed to miss. It certainly helped.

Petiew

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think there were a number of things revealed and expanded on only in Grimoire Nier, which was a Japanese only companion book.

The second playthrough definitely explains a lot more as well. It's been so long that I can't remember how confused I was by the plot.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@petiew said:

I think there were a number of things revealed and expanded on only in Grimoire Nier, which was a Japanese only companion book.

The second playthrough definitely explains a lot more as well. It's been so long that I can't remember how confused I was by the plot.

I kinda got the jist of it but I was definitely missing a large chunk of info which I later read up on from various Wiki's. That Grimoire Nier book I also saw and think it looks awesome. Too bad it's in Japanese - the world of Nier is very interesting.

YI_Orange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

If you haven't read everything that gets added in each playthrough you should, there's more sadness to be had(and the final ending is awesome).

When I beat it I kind of got the gist of what was going on I think, but I didn't realize until later that killing the shadow lord doomed you, your daughter, and everybody else.

And since it's a topic about Nier, I have to say two things: Boar drifting is stupid and hilarious and amazing. Booting the game up to be met with Kaine screaming at Weiss is one of my favorite parts about that game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Humanity

@yi_orange: Just saying "boar drifting" is amazing in of itself.

"Make them pay!"

Loading Video...

nasp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nasp

@humanity: you have to beat it more than once to get the full story.if you dont want to play it again ,which is fully understandable because even though i love the game you kinda play it twice in one playthrough because what they have you do.so i would recommend looking up the videos on youtube and see the differences in playthrough 2,and also see all the endings .its really worth it imo.nier isnt a perfect game but i have and will probly say for a long time that nier is one of the best storys in gaming if not the best that ive ever seen.

EthanielRain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EthanielRain

Kind of OT, but that part where the game skips forward a bit in time with eyepatched Nier fighting and that sick music kicks in...pretty amazing.

SonicFire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Yeah, playing through multiple times makes a huge difference.

That said, the game is not the most fun to play, but hell of a soundtrack IMO

Animasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 5

If you're interested in the pre Nier stuff, I would recommend reading TheDarkID's LP of it, because he does lay out all of the white chlorination syndrome stuff that's in the artbook and shit in a very well organized manner.

Steadying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You commented on my Drakengard 3 thread a few months ago asking if you should play this. Oh how far we have come. *tear*

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Humanity