A question regarding Giantbomb(.com) and its twitter integration.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Do_The_Manta_Ray

In as concise of a manner possible, I'd like to ask if there is an option to "tune out" certain posts from the twitter feed on the main page. I'm mainly asking because from time to time, there are important announcements made regarding the site, or the upcoming schedule, on twitter rather than the main site, for.. "Reasons".

With the many, many messages made on the twitter feed, I'd like to find a way to sort them based on who's submitting the messages.

On the off-chance that there is some hot app a user has come up with, or a tumblr with the important announcements, etc. please do inform me of this. It'd be appreciated.

Quid_Pro_Bono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

@do_the_manta_ray: There’s nothing I know of. I’d say the best option is to ignore the Twitter plugin on the site and just check the main site account on Twitter every once in a while.

No need to be coy about your reasoning. It’s just drawing more attention to it. Say you want to just see the official site announcements and leave it at that.

stordoff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

User Lists: 4

@do_the_manta_ray: Honestly, dancing around your reasoning so much comes across as passive aggressive.

AFAIK, there isn't an official way to do this, but if you are running uBlock Origin you can add a custom filter that will do it. Right-click anywhere on the page, and choose "Block Element". Then, replace the filter text (it'll be in the box that appears in the lower right) with:

##.promo-twitter-feed > .editorial > li:if(.twitter-author:has-text(TwitterIDToHide))

replacing "TwitterIDToHide" with the Twitter account you aren't interested in (use Preview first to make sure it's working OK).

Only downside is that is just hides them, and doesn't pull more results, but if you needed that you'd probably be better just checking directly on Twitter.

Dray2k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it should be made possible to switch between the official GB account and the Staff?

The_Nubster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

The Twitter integration has always been weird to me because it seems like there are 3 options.

1) People already follow them on Twitter, so it's useless.

2) People don't use Twitter, so they don't care.

3) People don't use Twitter, but they care very very much and they have opinions about it.

It either needs a lot more customization and support, or it needs to be disabled completely. Additionally, any big announcements being done need to be done on the main site, not on social media.

Quantris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Quantris

The twitter integration is weird because often those posts don't make sense out of context. And also it can get flooded by one person or another when they are doing a bunch of tweeting.

I think it could work better if they considered filtering it by a hashtag or something (so that the staff could decide which tweets get "featured") and/or made it something like "most recent tweet by each staff member"

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

This is far more thought than I have ever given that small section of the front page. Which is to say, I don't think that anything like what you're asking for is available.

Avatar image for do_the_manta_ray
Do_The_Manta_Ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@quid_pro_bono: @stordoff: I've been watching too much M.A.S.H lately, and tried to be flippant about it in as light-hearted of a way as possible. In retrospect, I think you're right that I should have been more forthcoming about my problem, as striking such a fine tone in an internet post can be difficult, especially when there genuinely are people with pitch-forks hiding behind the bushes.

Imma' edit my main post to better reflect this.

forteexe21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Important announcement tweets dont happen often enough for something dedicated for it to be worth it.

Avatar image for redhotchilimist
Redhotchilimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

I'd also like an option to opt out of that stuff when the site redesign is out. It varies how much of that feed is fun and how much of it is unbearable, but it's weird to have everyone's out of context HOT TAKES right on the front page anyway. If you want that feed you can just follow people on twitter in the first place.

Captain_Insano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

I use Twitter and follow pretty much most of the GB crew that way. I have honestly, never looked at the Twitter feed on the front page of the website

ALavaPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I wish that the twitter things were NOT on the main page. I remember the old argument that hey just don't follow them on twitter if you don't want to see it... but it is on the main site. As I just scroll down to see some vids they are all just right there. This twitter stuff IS site content when it is so RIGHT there. At some point my eyes do scan the page and I do see it.

I will start by saying Alex is one of my favorite people on GB. I also so far am liking Ben on here too overall, and so on. However the last thing I want to do is scroll through the site and see Alex's next hateful politics rant [and these can get really disturbingly hateful... which bums me out cause Alex is such a cool dude in a lot of ways], or Ben on something similar. Sometimes Brad [who also I really DO like a lot] will occasionally have some of these and so on. This sort of stuff just shouldn't be on the site. It isn't even wise to, why alienate large portions of your customers like this?

If it wasn't on the main page of the site I would put it on me, in the "hey then just don't follow them on twitter". I did that but now when I come here I still see this stuff :/

It doesn't mean I don't like the guys but I don't want to hear a thing about their politics at all related to the site if it can be avoided. This is one of the reasons I will be honest I didn't listen to the podcasts for a while, because too much political/social stuff was injected in it for a long time. I think it is better now though :). Still great podcasts but I just don't want to hear it on a website about having fun with video games. I don't play video games to hear about this stuff I use it to escape from that stuff.

It is a bummer cause I really used to love following them on twitter but I really don't need to be lectured about politics by them just because I scrolled through the main page of their website.