Posted by KnockingNick (254 posts) -

When playing one of your favorite titles, have you ever wondered to yourself, "How many times have I died in this game?" Yes, it's a little bit morbid, but you can't deny that it's interesting (especially in an era of games where stats are more prominent than ever.) The idea of keeping track of how many times I have kicked the bucket in a game is something that first popped into my head when I played Dark Souls II back in 2014. It's a punishing game for masochistic gamers, so it only makes since to be curious about these things, right?

So let's just get to it. I have decided to record exactly how many times I die in every game to come out in 2019. Well...maybe not every 2019 game, I do have some rules. I'm only counting games that have a main story campaign, and I'm also only taking into account my first playthrough of a game (I'm not crazy enough to record every time I die in multiplayer, that's just silly.) I'm predicting a whole lot of death to come, especially with some of the games coming out this year, and I couldn't be more excited! Let's start with Resident Evil 2. Oh man, what can I even say about this game? The original version of this game on PlayStation is in my top 3 favorite games of all time, and this beautifully macabre remake does not disappoint one bit. Seeing the Raccoon City Police Department in the distance in all of its remade glory gave me goosebumps, and stepping into the main lobby put a smile on my face; I felt like I was back at home. The way that they play with your expectations is genius in my opinion, and they genuinely made Resident Evil scary again (Mr. X is one intimidating dude.) Unsurprisingly, my first death in the game was from a licker. My mistake was trying to run from one; these guys are much faster than they were in the original game, and they are much more aggressive. After that though, it was relatively smooth sailing until I got into the sewers, where I got eaten way too many times by a huge crocodile. This was a huge surprise to me, considering I had never ONCE gotten killed by the crocodile in the original. And then after all of THAT, it was once again smooth sailing...until the big fight with William Birkin at the end. I died to him about 3 or 4 times, but eventually finished him off. I can't even begin to say how much I love this game, and I'm super excited to eventually jump into Claire's B Scenario. If you still for some reason have not played this game, go out and buy a copy RIGHT NOW . Seriously, you owe it to yourself.

This is the look of a man who has died exactly THIRTEEN times. Where is that damn first aid spray...?
This is the look of a man who has died exactly THIRTEEN times. Where is that damn first aid spray...?

#1 Posted by TobbRobb (6558 posts) -

@knockingnick: Dark Souls 2 actually tells you how many times you've died if you look at a monument in Majula in offline mode. I don't remember my number for the first run, but I wanna say it was like 140 or something.

It's fun reading where people get their deaths. Croc and the last fight weren't much of an issue for me, but I died like 7 times to the second Birkin fight. 3 times I somehow killed myself with the crane like a moron. And that's on an otherwise really safe run with maybe only 3-4 other deaths total.... Mostly to Lickers, they be mean yo.

#2 Posted by KnockingNick (254 posts) -

@tobbrobb: The lickers are really no joke in this game. They're by far the toughest enemy in the game, in my humble opinion.