A Simple Question of Game Design

Rxanadu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

Recently, I've been asking myself how to create a game which allows people who cannot see an equally engrossing experience to what those who can see experience. I want to be able to tell a story that is as interesting to a person who can see and hear to a person who can only hear but not see. This is one of the questions I've recently come up with.

How do you tell a person a year has passed without stating precisely, "A year has passed" when the person is blind but can hear well?

I've been stumped by this question for a while now, and I wanted to ask everyone here if they had a valid answer. Please let me know if you do.

BeachThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#2  Edited By BeachThunder

4 sounds in succession, each of which indicate one of the seasons.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

You could ask blind people what sounds they associate with what season. Animal noises readily come to mind, as well as different types of wind.

Spoonman671

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Didn't Patrick do an interview recently about games for the blind? Time to check The Dumptruck.

Tarsier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

you could get the rights to use this song in the soundtrack!

Loading Video...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

We have sounds that symbolize being sent to jail.

We have sounds that symbolize falling down a long distance.

We have sounds that symbolize doors closing, cars starting, pots boiling, animals howling and guns firing.

We don't have a sound that symbolizes an entire year has passed. Besides language.

Maybe the sound of a crowd celebrating New Year's? The sound of seasons changing quickly?

Kovie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

First thing that comes to mind is a musical track or ambient noise used in the right context, and something that fades or distorts in such a way to signify time passage. A sort of somber melody that trails off and ends with silence or gentle noise might work if it were thematically appropriate, and I suppose worked in at a point where the transition makes some sense otherwise. And I immediately want to associate time passage with wind, could be drawn-out and desolate or themed with the seasons in some way. Remember what it sounds like when the seasons change in Proteus? I think it does at least a pretty good job evoking the sentiment, maybe that's a good starting point?

sudomiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loading Video...

'Auld Lang Syne' is a song long associated with New Year's celebrations.
I would recommend using a bar of it for the sound effect.
G'luck!