A video history of Rab "Robert" Florence.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Akyho
No Caption Provided

(Pre note, while It will be a VIDEO history with YouTube clips. I will limit the amount embedded, to save everyone's flash memory. Instead they will be linked within the text so feel free to click away! Also I figured I should have made this a blog......after I finished it...oh well!)

With the sudden surge of Rab's name being talked around a lot by people who have been following the Rab Florance, Eurogamer and Lauren Wainwright incident.

A lot of people go "Who the hell is Rab?" well...Rab is very relevant to games in my opinion, you are more than likely to know of his work one way or another and with the recent tweets by Rab he will be back in the air of a video game review show!

Robert Florencerobertflorence

Agtheo It's just got me in the mood to do another games show. So that's a positive thing.

Tonight I pretty much assembled the team for a successor to Consolevania. That's 2013 sorted.

New gaming show? No joke. No joke when Kenny's on board. "paul_carmo: robertflorence you shouldn't joke about that kind of thing."

(Updated Tweets)

I have no idea how to properly respond to last week's madness other than to make another videogame show, with all the freedom that provides.

I should be clear that the videogame show we're planning for 2013 isn't a review show. It's a satirical comedy thing.

No Caption Provided

Lets start....somewhere. Rab "Robert" Florence (Rab being Scottish for Robert) Is a Glaswegian (Man from the city of Glasgow Scotland) presenter, comedian, actor, TV writer and freelances game writer. He has alot under his belt.

He had been writing for the Scottish sketch comedy show Chewin the Fat for the BBC before 2004, which is a much loved comedy series here in Scotland. So this guy knows comedy and yet he also knows about video games. So with his fellow friend and aspiring actor Ryan Macloed they made their own web,comedy sketch,video game,review show Consolevania.

This was before Youtube and the hundreds of hobby game reviewers such as JontronAngry Joe(there is better examples I know) and the likes, just about the same time as Angry Video Game nerd (Simply going by the Wiki) however I assume the distribution was much the same. You find the website one way or another and you download the file. It was the Dark ages for internet video content. Bandwidth was expensive to just "STREAM" hell downloading was a strain for a lot of peoples ISP.

So It was a case of word of mouth for such true content as this.

Now when the only Video Games shows you were getting on Scottish/British TV was such things as CYBERNET WHICH RAN FOR OVER 10 YEARS! God it was horrible..... and the good shows like Bits and a few others were always under the microscope and constrains of the TV channel.

Such an uncandid commentary is welcomed... with such things as "Fuck off Batman!" its funny and true, as if he is talking to you like a friend, not like a child which CYBERNET does.

And if you want a true experience of CYBERNET Lego Batman review and VS Consolvania's Lego Batman reviewClick them!

One thing that people more then likely know of Rabs work is this.

That spoof of Halo 3 that went viral. Rab and Ryan just planted it on the nets and just left it. It was not tied at all to them until they wanted to tie in for the upcoming Consolevania SEASON 4!

The last review of Consolevania was Fallout 3Which did not even have ANY game footage and I think its great. And then for a one off we got in the midst of EA hate what would happen if a company took over a review show with its big monies only known as "C" with Limmy! playing as Zack an upcoming Scottish Comedian now with his own Comeday Sketch serise (You see a pattern on the only comedy Scotland has it SKETCH! usually)

Now lets actually talk about "C" right there in 2008...is the exact comment Rab was talking about with PR and reviewers being too close. I urge you to watch "C"

BBC (British Broadcasting Corporation) VideoGaiden! as they didn't want to sell over the name Consolevania.

As you see Rab and Ryan was excited to have Video Games BACK ON THE BBC!.....only on BBC 2 Scotland (Not England or Wales...or Northern Ireland.) and for ten minutes.....IT WAS A START!

English fans of Consolvania were frothing at the mouth and was one of the first TV shows to be upload on the offical site of BBC and be watched online. Something that is everyday for a lot of people and especially with the BBCi player.

People demanded and we got Videogaiden season 2 and it was on for 25 minutes! Hurrah's were had since it was available in England as well...I think..I am not English and it had a third season and it ended....it couldn't last sadly.

After all this I was surprised to load up on the Xbox dashboard one of the new video streaming features and who comes up? RAB! with the Indipendint Charles Show!

It eventually came to American Xbox's and was met with "What the fuck did I just watch!?" that is a very valid response.

As shown Rab has never been an offical games journalist, he has wrote columns for websites however he hasn't sat down and had a desk in one of these places. He his a guy on the ground, if anything he is a TV person. As demonstrated with the brilliant comedy series starring him and Iain Connell Bournistourn

He is a writer for the upcoming (STILL WAITING!!!) IT Crowd Series 5 which a lot of people love Graham Linehams IT Crowd for great reason.

And Today Rab is...........going to be managing a wrestling match....in a church..... with the Tall one from Chewin the fat and Victor from Still Game Greg Hemphill!

So Rab ticking along!

And considering I am certain Rab is going to make this new series online or on TV. It will be magical.

If that is not going to hit the same strides as Consolevania did. Then is even two guys in Glasgow following in the foot steps of Consolevania known as Bitsocket, they are heavily inspired by Rab and Ryan's Consolevania...and also Scottish..in Glasgow....so the same footsteps realy.

And if that's still not enough Consolevania @NoMuiscFound found that Ryan has just released his own new show in the same vain as Cosolevania. ChuckieDregs!

This is probably not going to play for people outside of the UK however it is a musical piece using Computers and Consoles with Rab Florence as the Executive Producer.

And for the people who cant play that here is the Consolevania story with Brian Blessed.

And for those wondering why the mentioning of Kenny in the new series is no joke!

Hope people enjoy this.

Edit: I screwed up the "C" link...it was Limmy's Americanism sketch. FIXED now!

Edit: 2, Added an extra tweet of Rab saying his upcoming Show will be Comedy Satire on Video games.

crisping

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By crisping

Thanks for writing this up, brought back memories of downloading Consolevania on my crappy connection for five hours or so an episode way back when. My favourite thing they did was start calling out developers for fights in car parks.

I'm wondering if Ryan will be part of the new thing, seeing as this appeared a few weeks ago:

Also all the full episodes of consolevania are available on iTunes and at http://www.blip.tv/consolevania if anyone cares.

ShaggE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By ShaggE

Well, shit... I had no idea "Rab" was a valid version of my name. Sounds so much better than the others... I'm not going to adopt it, because holy shit, that'd be douchey, but now I wish I was Scottish so I could.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Akyho

@NoMuiscFound said:

Thanks for writing this up, brought back memories of downloading Consolevania on my crappy connection for five hours or so an episode way back when. My favourite thing they did was start calling out developers for fights in car parks.

I'm wondering if Ryan will be part of the new thing, seeing as this appeared a few weeks ago:

Also all the full episodes of consolevania are available on iTunes and at http://www.blip.tv/consolevania if anyone cares.

RYAN!! RYAN!!! Its Ryan! RYAN!! Seriously I cant stop shouting out RYAN!!...RYAN!!!!!!!!! Its fucking RYAN! WERE HAS HE BEEN!!?

I was even researching him for this little post and COULDN'T FIND ANYTHING!!! couldnt figure which Twitter was his, found out he did a VO for The Sun on the radio.

RYAN!!! RYAN!!!

Chuckie Dregs is certianly a classic Consoelvania subbbed and waiting for more. Cant beleave it...RYAN!!!! Thank for finding that...RYAN!! He cant here me.....

@ShaggE said:

Well, shit... I had no idea "Rab" was a valid version of my name. Sounds so much better than the others... I'm not going to adopt it, because holy shit, that'd be douchey, but now I wish I was Scottish so I could.

You could easily just go to your friend and family flick your hair (Do it even if you none) back and go "Ive come to an executive decision...call me Rab from now on."

Well its goes like this. Robert your shorten Rob, Scottish tend to say Rabert, even tho written its Robert, So Rob is turned to Rab and thus Robbie is turned into Rabbie.

So we have the poet Rabbie Burns and drunk Glasgewgian character of the Comedy show of the same name Rab C Nesbitt

fattony12000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By fattony12000
No Caption Provided
doobie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By doobie
HiHarryArcher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By HiHarryArcher

Follow the man on twitter. He's the only reason twitter needs to qualify itself.

MikeGosot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MikeGosot

Aaaaaand he likes boardgames! Hell fucking yeah! He writes "Cardboard Children" for RPS.

oraknabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By oraknabo

I mostly know Robert for his occasional contributions to RockPaperShotgun, but outside of games, I would recommend Burnistoun to anyone who likes good sketch comedy. The accents can be a little difficult to parse for Americans, but they are usually worth it. Last time I looked, Youtube had pretty much every sketch worth watching.

Kittiah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By Kittiah

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I feel like all of you guys should know that today BBC Scotland aired the first episode of VideoGaiden season 4 (though tonally this is much closer to Consolevania)

So glad to see the boys back together again, now wrap whatever the ocular equivalent of lug-holes are around this:

Loading Video...

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit,I forgot about this thread I did and didn't know when the new VideoGaiden stuff was happening just they made a wee promo of it, thanks for pointing it out going to have a watch of that or in my native tongue "Gonnae huv tae hae a swatch ae at."

amafi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@kittiah said:

Sorry to resurrect such an old thread, but I feel like all of you guys should know that today BBC Scotland aired the first episode of VideoGaiden season 4 (though tonally this is much closer to Consolevania)

So glad to see the boys back together again, now wrap whatever the ocular equivalent of lug-holes are around this:

Loading Video...

Awesome. Missed those guys.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ryan's having some fun with the edits. Thin Rab looks unhealthy.

Akyho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Akyho

@shindig: Thin Rab came about well one part healthy stuff but one part doing Scottish Wrestling to take on Greg Hemphill of Still Game fame.

Loading Video...

Of Course this is the man who went on national television to talk about the recent Manhunt ban to say "Bummed in the Gob."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=my2NVhUjekA

pickassoreborn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 6

Just watched the new VideoGaiden and really enjoyed it. Both Rab and Ryan are getting closer to 40 and it feels like there's more reflection in this new show. Sometimes the guys can get pretty deep with this stuff and I'm glad to see it back. Brings to mind this excellent RPS article Rab wrote about gaming and how it helps us forget about that bloody raven...