Abby doesn't have games press experience and that's OK

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NTA_Luciana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I've seen some people questioning how Abby will fit in here due to her lack of games press experience. She has a background in improv, hanging out in one Pat Baer's circle. I would argue that this background is FAR more beneficial to the GB audience than encyclopedic game knowledge. In fact, after the PAX West 2016 panel, I specifically said to Vinny that rather than established games media, it would make more sense to hire out of UCB.

... Hold on.

Pat Baer's from UCB. And Abby...

Wait a minute...

... Oh no.....

(oh yes)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b85a38d6c493
deactivated-5b85a38d6c493

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

She can still have a great knowledge of games without having been in the industry so to speak. And I believe she does, at least just from looking at her twitter some.

slyspider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By slyspider

Yeah, I tried to find some stuff from her, but reading her twitter she seems to be solid. I'm fucking hyped

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't think she needs you or any one to defend her all the same.

paulmako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I imagine you mean well but something about this thread title seems... patronising?

SquirrelGOD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Haven't really seen anyone question her being hired, but keep in mind that she was hired to be a producer. So, while she'll probably pop up a lot, most of her work will likely be behind the scenes.

...Then again, this IS Giant Bomb, so titles probably mean nothing. So, look forward to a full playthrough of Tales of Vesperia with Dan and Abby done entirely while skydiving!

lasse_momme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, are you telling me that people really needed to be told this? Jesus christ, this fucking community sometimes, I swear..

matoya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Wait, are you telling me that people really needed to be told this? Jesus christ, this fucking community sometimes, I swear..

Have you used this website before?

Inresurrection

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm hyped about the new hires. Ben seems like such a rad dude - the first Bombcast with him was a breath of fresh air in terms of energy. Abby also seems rad. Giant Bomb continues to rule.

rjaylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By rjaylee

Hah. "Games press". As if this is even a remotely relevant qualification for Giant Bomb.

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

uh. what? i think you mean well, but this is kinda stacking the deck for an unfruitful discussion.

she was hired from an enormous applicant pool by the very people who run this website. that should be enough for patrons of the bomb, full stop.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#12 chaser324  Moderator

I'm sure you meant well, but I can't see this being a productive discussion. Trust that the staff and their hiring process did the job of finding a good fit for the position. Her name wasn't drawn out of a hat at random.