User Lists: 4

Why

RobertForster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I don’t know where you are going with this, but I agree.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By imhungry

Lol

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Why?

Does she play any JRPGs at all?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

Jeff should take up tap dancing.

Get on it Jeff, dance for us.

imhungry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@efesell said:

Why?

This isn't intended as a hit on Abby at all (people should like what they like!), but another playthrough by someone who seemingly dislikes JRPGs even more than 2008 Jeff and Vinny sounds like the most unappealing video series conceivable.

Shindig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No more Persona 4. For the love of God. It's been done.

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By BladeOfCreation

Abby playing some older games she hasn't experienced before is some of my favorite content on the site. Abby doesn't play JRPGs, though, and I don't think she'd enjoy this game.

Also, as other have said, it's been done.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BisonHero

@imhungry said:
@efesell said:

Why?

This isn't intended as a hit on Abby at all (people should like what they like!), but another playthrough by someone who seemingly dislikes JRPGs even more than 2008 Jeff and Vinny sounds like the most unappealing video series conceivable.

Why indeed. Japanese media aimed at teen boys (a majority of manga, anime, and video games enjoyed by the West) is still pretty prone to frequently sexualizing and/or infantilizing women characters, even if the creator claims he is doing it "just so the fans have good cosplay" or whatever. I know, I know, it's not all anime and video games, but it's an extremely common trope in a lot of mainstream anime and games, and Abby has made it clear that she has a very low threshold for tolerating this. While this behaviour is at a minimum in Persona 4, there are still some teen anime tropes (beach episode, etc.) that I would guess Abby has no personal fondness for and would still feel are pandering to the audience a bit (she's not wrong).

Who can say if gameplay would do anything for her, but I don't think she has talked about liking JRPG grinding very much, which is still a lot of Persona.

Also, I wish people would just look at the state of Giant Bomb today. Yes, they sometimes play an entire game front to back (usually as a premium feature). Have they done this with a game that is more than 15-20 hours? Very, very rarely in the past 5 years. The idea that they would do some sort of 60-100 hour video series of Persona 4 in 2020 is just not something that they're realistically going to have take up scheduled recording time for months and months.

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By FinalDasa  Moderator

She can play whatever she likes and pleases.

Avatar image for colourful_hippie
colourful_hippie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By colourful_hippie

Abby doesn't even like the genre.

@humanity said:

Jeff should take up tap dancing.

Get on it Jeff, dance for us.

Extra premium stream for this please.

north6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#16  Edited By north6

Not only will this not happen, I'd put 2 to 1 odds on the problematic original run episodes being taken off the site in the next 6 months, but thanks for the good laugh OP.

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

There can be entertainment value in someone playing a game they hate. A good example is Jeff's experience with Garfield, but for the most part, I think it's better for any editor of GB to actually like the game they stream. Otherwise, you'd be presented with a lot of grimacing and eye rolling.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By htr10

Maybe Vinny should try “playing” Persona 4? Y’know what I’m saying? I mean, could you really call what he did a decade ago “playing” Persona 4? Bufu on the boss that absorbs ice, c’mon, what even was that?

...Please, for the love of God, understand that I’m being sarcastic. Vinny did a great job and the Persona 4 Endurance Run was a formative experience in my adult life. I’ve watched it start to finish 5 times. I told my wife to play it non-stop bedside for me if I ever ended up in a coma. Why did I even risk making a joke here? What was I thinking?

Avatar image for bladeofcreation
BladeOfCreation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What gets me about this is that it's not even someone being excited about a remaster or remake of a game. It's not someone saying, hey, I love this game and if you missed it, you ought to give it a try now. This thread is essentially someone saying they want a remake of a *playthrough* of a video game.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone should make an gif of Idris Elba yelling "Reset the warclock!" in Pacific Rim except it says "Endurance Run" instead.

FacelessVixen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

No.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What gets me about this is that it's not even someone being excited about a remaster or remake of a game. It's not someone saying, hey, I love this game and if you missed it, you ought to give it a try now. This thread is essentially someone saying they want a remake of a *playthrough* of a video game.

It blows my mind that there seem to be a handful of users that have clearly been here for years, and still have the mistaken impression that GB is a Persona fansite, as if the staff is obligated to give huge amounts of coverage to any Persona game that is released or rereleased.

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bisonhero: Jeff has that Persona tattoo he’s just not talking about it you know how secretive the industry folk are.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: Damn, bro, I forgot. It's pretty wild that Jeff and Vinny decided to get matching tattoos after the ER. Vinny's half says "BU", Jeff's half says "FU." True fans.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I get the feeling she wouldn't like it, not even the story or the characters, i could be wrong but i'm starting to get used to Abby not liking the best games of all time :P.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By htr10

@bisonhero:

Jeff’s tattoo that says “F U” has nothing to do with Persona.

csl316

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#27  Edited By csl316

I know every form of entertainment is falling back on remakes. Giant Bomb doesn't need to get into the remake game with its own content.

Ryan3370

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering no one on the beastcast was excited for the PC release, the chances of that seem like zero. To quote Alex, "Why now?"

mellotronrules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this sounds ill-advised. i don't speak for her obviously- but it really doesn't seem like her cup of tea.

doctordonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#30  Edited By doctordonkey

There isn't even a playthrough of the superior sequel on the site, why do another playthrough of 4? Not to sound overly serious and harsh like some earlier posters, but Persona had its time on this site, leave it be.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#31  Edited By Undeadpool

I still love Persona 4, and "The Golden" fixes a LOT of the problems that original had, but ya know what it doesn't fix?

The dialog. And not JUST the parts you think I'm talking about, I'm talking about the stuff in which characters slobber fawningly all over the main character, who has apparently achieved Greatest Human Ever To Exist-status by virtue of being pleasantly bland.

Again: I love the series, still love 4...but that particular trope hasn't aged along with me.

I'd actually love to watch her play 5 more, while it's not perfect: the characters feel more fleshed out and real. Especially the protag. That having been said: I'd kinda rather watch Jeff and Vinny play it through. Do it as a sort of "then and now" look back and actually get some critical thought about it. It ain't gonna happen, but I'd rather watch that.

Abby's already got Clue Crew and the horror game playthroughs (both of which I absolutely adore), tossing a 100+ hour JRPG ("Golden" adds an entire season's-worth of content plus a whole other S.Link) she might not even like onto her plate seems like piling on.

Justin258

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 8

I'm pretty sure that people were saying the same sorts of things when Persona 5 came out and, if I'm not mistaken, Abby ultimately didn't want to play any of it. At least not that I remember.

Anyway, pushing someone to get into something like Persona is a quick way to push them away from it. That game doesn't start getting special for quite some time, and that game's first five or ten hours or so kinda drag a bit.

yyninja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 91

No we don't, Persona 4 has already gotten it's due. I'm good with a Quick Look on the PC version but anything more is overkill. If they were to play through a Persona game it would be Persona 5 Royal.

LyndBako

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what a bizarre thread

berfunkle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

One or all of the editors should commit to playing through Persona 6.

How's that for allowing this thread to go completely off the rails?

damodar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abby's already doing a 100+ hour video series about building a harem.

icoangel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe X should Y

ThomasCro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Alex should learn to play the bass so he can do bass streams

djredbat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Never going to happen considering when Abby was asked if she was going to play Persona 5 her response was I'm not playian some 100 hour anime bullshit game. There is a better chance of Jeff and Vinny doing a P5 Royal Endurance Run together.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What if Abby watched and talked over the P4 Endurance Run with Jeff and Vinny? Giant Bomb could then sell new merch with a logo of the bomb crawling up its own butt.

monkeyking1969

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Abby should play what gives her joy. But with that said, there are so many games that none of the GB staff have played it seems less engaging to have her play such well worn territory.

Giant_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Giant_Gamer

I really don't like it when people demand of someone to play a game he/she won't even like!!

Because they'll hate it even more and won't be able to come up of good things to say about it.

However, watching someone play a hard and punishing game is always great to see specially if they start getting good at it.

asylumrunner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Counterpoint: if Abby was to play a JRPG, she should play Tokyo Mirage Sessions or The World Ends With You, because those seem more her vibe

Rejizzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Terrible idea.

Abby should record an audio commentary of watching Vinny and Jeff play through Persona 4. Now THAT'S content.

Onemanarmyy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

50 cent should play Blood on the sand.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onemanarmyy: Surely someone on some gaming site has pitched this idea to 50 Cent during a press event. Also I wonder if he’s still like super jazzed that he has 2 Xbox games out there in the world, or if he barely remembers they exist.

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

@onemanarmyy: Surely someone on some gaming site has pitched this idea to 50 Cent during a press event. Also I wonder if he’s still like super jazzed that he has 2 Xbox games out there in the world, or if he barely remembers they exist.

I'll bet he'd have a laugh while autographing a copy if you passed it to him.

It's not like he's Ric Flair having absolutely NO memory of being in C&C Red Alert 3, after all.