Abby Talks About the Giant Bomb Hiring Process, What She Brings to the Site, and Women in Games Media

Lionheart377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

Hey, duders! Another week, another Giant Bomb interview. This time, I had the wonderful Abby Russell on my show! We spoke about Giant Bomb, her interviews with the team, E3, being the first woman hired by Giant Bomb, and much more.

ICYMI: I've spoken with Jeff, Alex, Vinny, and Dan in the past all about games, Giant Bomb, and the industry.

Again, thanks so much for all the support! The Giant Bomb community remains amazing. Brad is up next!

ABBY PODCAST

striderno9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh shit, this is cool.

bmccann42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Great interview, very insightful and very entertaining.

Unsurprisingly Abby does great, and talks very indepth about the hiring process and interview process. She also speaks (and hints) at bringing more edited content to the site, so i am super interested to see what she puts together. I'm hoping for more stuff like Drew's E3 diaries, and the trip to Iceland with Patrick or the trip to Korea with Brad.

Corwag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Unsurprisingly Abby does great, and talks very indepth about the hiring process and interview process. She also speaks (and hints) at bringing more edited content to the site, so i am super interested to see what she puts together. I'm hoping for more stuff like Drew's E3 diaries, and the trip to Iceland with Patrick or the trip to Korea with Brad.

I mean, she has Dan at her disposal. These two could make some killer/totally bonkers edited videos.

BisonHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

#6  Edited By BisonHero

@bmccann42 said:

Yeah, Drew also liked to do that edited content, but with the way the site needs weekly video content, I'm guessing she's only going to be able to do it a few times a year. E3 is definitely a good time for it since there's usually something weird they can record and edit together. Hopefully she finds the time to work on more edited content, but I know they're pretty busy playing games to prepare for QLs, doing QLs, and doing streams.

How to Build a Beast was really good when Vinny and Alex were first getting started in NYC, but that kinda dried up after like 2 (maybe 3?) videos, and they've never really done any video content showing off their current office very much. Also I still wish Giant Bomb would occasionally do more stuff like that weird "Jeff and Dan play Mario on a roller coaster" kind of thing.

sfbaybunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Yay!!! Abby, you rule! ❤️

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

Abby is the best new hire in years. Of all the people they brought on board over the years she seems to totally get it and most importantly adapt to the style of the site while still maintaining her own vibe without forcing anything.

Both Abby and Bakalar are the reasons why I've grown to love the Beastcast so much.

EDIT: Also some real talk about getting noticed and consistency. I used to make a lot of GB art in the past, but then hardly any of it got really noticed and others got way more coverage than I did which led to me not really wanting to dedicate like 5 hours to making a really awesome poster than 10 people are going to say is great and then it will die in obscurity. I suppose if you remain consistent for a really long time it certainly helps, but spending a lot of time on things and getting time and time again little to no recognition for it can be extremely debilitating to the creative process.

Lionheart377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@striderno9: Thanks, buddy! Love talking to the GB folks.

Lionheart377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bmccann42: One of the main things I wanted to talk about most was tighter, edited content, so I was happy she brought it up.

bhizzy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

This was really fun to listen to @lionheart377, so thank you!

Abby is the bomb dot com and her "mhm"s are the best in the business.

Lionheart377

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bhizzy: Thanks! She should probably trademark her now famous "mhm."

Avatar image for alwaysbebombing
alwaysbebombing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers