Abby Tweets Well and Good

• 76 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Sakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Fuck yea Abby is right, ACAB

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

The argument "my family member is X, therefore there is no problem there" is always folly. I fully support the GB stance and have no problem with the tweets the team have made on their personal twitter accounts. From the point of view of an outsider to the US, the reporting in Europe and UK makes it very hard to see how anyone could support the Police as an organisation or group of organisations. Heck, I don't trust the British Police as an institution and they aren't armed (properly anyway). Genuinely hoping you all get to safely voice your protests where you can and that a proper resolution and actual change is found this time.

stantongrouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@horia: There's still games on here. This is in general discussion so I think that's fair game for topics other than games. There are literally thousands of videos about games on here, hundreds of articles and pages and pages of discussions on video games. Why just hop onto a thread you care little about to poo poo it?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#8  Edited By Humanity

Although it's a noble sentiment, neither Brad, nor Jeff nor Abby for that matter need people from the community standing up and defending, of all things, their tweets. They are all adults, they know what they are doing.

Also it is sad to say that while I always point out how great this community is compared to other places online, this whole dire situation seems to be bringing out the worst in people, or the worst people in GB. To the people above, c'mon guys give me a break. Give this site a break for that matter. If you don't like someone on the site just keep it to yourself. If you don't like the site then stop coming. No one benefits from these passive aggressive jabs at folks especially in times when several cities are on the brink of martial law.

This doesn't affect you? Thats great - have some empathy for human beings other than yourself.

@horia You've had 50 straight days of constant game streams from them and you're gonna come out with this "remember when they liked games" shit? C'mon dude.

knuckleberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@humanity: this isn't a defense of Abby so much as it is an argument for the movement she is supporting. That was just a jumping off point.

The "this is for games" and "keep politics out" people do need to just jog off if they have nothing to say on the topic.

Avatar image for fear_the_booboo
Fear_the_Booboo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Abby tends to get more shit than the others and I think we all know why, but I’m glad she’s not backing down and is very outspoken about her opinions. Abby was right and she still is. Police is obviously a tool of white-supremacy right now (it arguably always was), any « good cop » should quit if they’re not morally bankrupt. If they can’t afford to do it, well at least they should be able to have the self-reflection to understand how they’re part of the issue.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sakr: This line of thinking is why we're in this mess, and why society will never come together beyond some cataclysmic event. Not all cops are bastards, not all whites are racist, not all blacks are thugs, not all gays are flamboyant, so on and so forth. Gross generalizations and blindly backing your team...regardless of what team you back is fucking dumb. Shit ain't so black and white, it never has been. No matter what party, race, sexual orientation, whatever...you identify yourself with, there's always gonna be a group of people within ruining shit for everyone else and perpetuating the stereotypes and beliefs of others further fueling fear and hatred. The collected actions of the last week have been a terribly sad example of that. It also reminds me why I rarely visit Twitter, what a fucking shitshow of finger pointing, name calling, and not looking at things sensibly it is.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: So what's your solution? How do we stop the insane police brutality against black people and against citizens in general?

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knuckleberry said:

@humanity: this isn't a defense of Abby so much as it is an argument for the movement she is supporting. That was just a jumping off point.

The "this is for games" and "keep politics out" people do need to just jog off if they have nothing to say on the topic.

Thanks for pickin up what I was putting down. It's pretty straight forward,. Progress is progress, just make it pointed in the right direction.

What you wrote was interesting and I do enjoy seeing different experiences and points of view from people around the world - but when a thread was just recently made that criticized Abbys tweets about the very thing you're here defending, in a thread titled Abby tweets good, and you're telling me that this has nothing to do with any of that? Like I said, it's a noble sentiment, but they don't need it.

Sakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh damn, I thought the reasons were hundreds of years of racist oppression and an unaccountable militarised police force that is chock full of white supremacists, but yea, maybe you're right, maybe it's.... SEMANTICS! Damn those semantics, All Semantics Are Bastards

knuckleberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By knuckleberry

@shiftygism: The point is that the system is broken, if you're a part of it there is no way to not be a bastard because you are inherently supporting it.

I've got a much bigger problem with people trying to center other groups when we need to come together to collectively hit an issue. No one should give a shit that "not all whites are racist" right now, that's not the issue at hand.

The issue at hand is a broken and violent system of militarized racist police. It is counter-productive of you to take away from that conversation. The point of ACAB is there are no good cops because they aren't stopping the bad ones. They are complicit.

Being a cop is something you choose, don't you dare equate it with race, gender, or sexuality. it's disgusting of you to do so.

zinkn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sakr: This line of thinking is why we're in this mess, and why society will never come together beyond some cataclysmic event. Not all cops are bastards, not all whites are racist, not all blacks are thugs, not all gays are flamboyant, so on and so forth. Gross generalizations and blindly backing your team...regardless of what team you back is fucking dumb. Shit ain't so black and white, it never has been. No matter what party, race, sexual orientation, whatever...you identify yourself with, there's always gonna be a group of people within ruining shit for everyone else and perpetuating the stereotypes and beliefs of others further fueling fear and hatred. The collected actions of the last week have been a terribly sad example of that. It also reminds me why I rarely visit Twitter, what a fucking shitshow of finger pointing, name calling, and not looking at things sensibly it is.

100% this.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

navster15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I saw that other thread, and frankly I’m appalled. Not by the user who brought it up, not even the chuds hiding behind an apolitical stance. No, I’m appalled that Rorie decided to prioritize white fragility over an opportunity to take a firm stance right now. That is not allyship, that is not creating a welcoming community to racialized folks. It sucks and has long been a problem with the moderation on this site. I’m frankly sick of it.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knuckleberry: I will gladly equate it to that because I'm not a narrowminded individual that only views the world in black and white, that thinks the actions of a few are representative of the whole, that none are making a difference serving their community, some dying for it. "ACAB" has no point beyond causing more division in this country and is just as ignorant as every other group painted with broad strokes. This mindset that everyone is capable or in a position to make a real honest to god change isn't realistic, and certain comments that the police shouldn't exist is absurd.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ACAB. Fuck all police.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ACAB. Asinine Comments Are Bountiful

Sakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damn, love to equate an underrepesented, marginalised, oppressed ethnicity/race with a group of people who decided that carrying a gun would be cool, and 40 percent of whom abuse someone in their family, galaxy brains out here.

knuckleberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Equating being a cop, to being of a certain race, gender, or sexuality is being open-minded?

This mindset that everyone is capable or in a position to make a real honest to god change isn't realistic

You can remove yourself from the situation and cease complicity.

certain comments that the police shouldn't exist is absurd.

Most progressive pushes aren't actually asking for 0 police, what is demanded is accountability, for police to be held to a higher standard, and for their huge budgets to be slashed because that's what is shown to lead to greater militarization and in turn greater violence and abuse.

https://www.lamag.com/citythinkblog/peoples-budget-la-city-budget-lapd/

The peoples budget here in LA for example is calling for the enormous police budget to be decimated and reallocated to services that face our huge problems with housing, and for new services for people in crisis and community safety.

I have a feeling i'm probably wasting my time on someone who'd rather be angry about a slogan bcause it's just to mean to the thin-skinned cops and their admirers.

For anyone reading please remember to donate to BLM and/or Actblue

here's a spreadsheet with some more specific donation funds if you care to support a specific local fund more directly
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1p7QxOvtvRfHUoMWib8coGHSS8szENXzSjIZKpvp-gtA/edit#gid=0

lKennedyl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All cops are bastards and all Gamers are cops.

BonelessSpirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Incredibly amusing how fake outraged some people get about ACAB, so I'm going to keep typing it. Some real pearl clutching going on here.

ACAB. Cops are worse than shit.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By shiftygism

@knuckleberry:

"Most progressive pushes aren't actually asking for 0 police"

No, but a certain tweet conveyed such a desire.

"Equating being a cop, to being of a certain race, gender, or sexuality is being open-minded?"

The point I was making is that they are as grossly misrepresented by the actions of some just as any other group, be it race, sexual orientation, political party, religion, whatever fueling hatred and stereotypes...and with this line of thinking it makes it extremely difficult to get anything meaningful accomplished in any situation.

Also, I'm not angry.

I'm annoyed...by both sides.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

knuckleberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By knuckleberry

@shiftygism: Dismantling a system doesn't mean you leave the void empty, you replace it with something better.

The only thing that makes it difficult to get anything meaningful accomplished is when people detract from the actual problem and want to argue about semantic bullshit and "the right way to protest".

You should be angry, angry at a system that has consistently failed to protect black americans and instead killed and oppressed them.

Your annoyance at "both sides" (sound pretty black and white and dog whistly) is of no importance. step back think about how to actually work against the problem or please just be quiet and stop wasting peoples time. This will be my last reply to you. I've said what i can in this context.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@horia said:

remember when this site used to be about video games

This site is firmly about video games. Sometimes though holes get punched in the walls we put up to ignore how much the world fuckin' sucks for certain people.

I used to be frustrated at 'ACAB', felt short sighted and unfair to paint with broad brushes. These days I find myself a little ashamed about that, and while no doubt those good people trying to do good exist out there they are aiding a Lie. A lie that they exist to protect and serve anything and not to Enforce. If you remain a part of that organization and let these things happen the way that we're seeing right now then it doesn't matter how many good cops tryin' their best are out there.

Fuck em'.

Sakr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Sunnydunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@knuckleberry:

"Most progressive pushes aren't actually asking for 0 police"

No, but a certain tweet conveyed such a desire.

"Equating being a cop, to being of a certain race, gender, or sexuality is being open-minded?"

The point I was making is that they are as grossly misrepresented by the actions of some just as any other group, be it race, sexual orientation, political party, religion, whatever fueling hatred and stereotypes...and with this line of thinking it makes it extremely difficult to get anything meaningful accomplished in any situation.

Also, I'm not angry.

I'm annoyed...by both sides.

Ahh yes "both sides": the white supremacist institutions of social control for big capital and those who are brutalized by them in an attempt to hold them to account. Sorry some of us wanting to stop being murdered & live normal lives annoys you as much as they (might) do!

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: I too used to think that it's dangerous to deal with absolutes and as you said paint with a broad brush, and while I still think it's not as easy to just say everyone is bad and everyone that isn't is bad because they're complicit, because that situation is incredibly complicated - the current events makes it really hard to say anything remotely positive about police officers. It is straight up terrifying to see just how many "bad apples" there are.. to the point where it's more like a bad tree with maybe a few good apples on it, but they still come from the same tree.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By shiftygism

@knuckleberry said:

@shiftygism: Dismantling a system doesn't mean you leave the void empty, you replace it with something better.

Yeah, no shit.

The only thing that makes it difficult to get anything meaningful accomplished is when people detract from the actual problem and want to argue about semantic bullshit and "the right way to protest".

It's not semantic bullshit, there's reasons why we're where we are, and until you truly identify where the breakdown lies, and not just pointing fingers assuming a part is the whole, then you're part of the problem (it goes both ways, bud), but we can't do that. We're too divided and the media plays folks for fools. Also, focus sure as hell should be placed on the right way to protest after the horseshit that's went down in the last week and the innocents that have had their lives and businesses ripped apart by certain jackasses that took this opportunity to act like fools, painting the cause in a negative light.

You should be angry, angry at a system that has consistently failed to protect black americans and instead killed and oppressed them.

I'm well past the point of anger. The current and foreseeable lack of communication and unwillingness to look at the big picture and causes of the mess we're entrenched in, has me left me with no realistic outlook of hope. We're too divided, and rooted in our prejudices.

Your annoyance at "both sides" (sound pretty black and white and dog whistly) is of no importance.

And anyone fueling the division isn't helping the situation.

step back think about how to actually work against the problem or please just be quiet and stop wasting peoples time.

You're the one choosing to engage here, Knuck.

This will be my last reply to you. I've said what i can in this context.

As have I.

Sunnydunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

You're the one ignoring the "big picture" if you think that 'communication' with a boot on your neck is going to accomplish anything.

Sunnydunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

And if video after video after video after video of cops gassing and beating peaceful protesters (in your opinion, the 'right way to protest') doesn't convince you nothing will. Cops escalate conflict.

TheChris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 8

There are LGBT people who perpetuate the stereotypes about LGBT people? Cause I could have sworn that it was non LGBT people who do that.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@shiftygism: Which one of those is gas and rubber bullets.

conmulligan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By conmulligan

If instances of police brutality and corruption is just because of a few bad apples, then how do you explain the disgraceful behaviour of police union leaders? These people will excuse practically unlimited use of force no matter the consequences, smear victims of police violence, fight any kind of reform tooth and nail and are usually re-elected in a landslide by the officers they represent.

shiftygism

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@efesell: Depending on the situation, a little of both. In the case of the Trump photo op, just one.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By htr10

Well, I’m just glad a bunch of White men showed up to validate that Abby is right. You totally get it.

Avatar image for deactivated-61f8244d70470
deactivated-61f8244d70470

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

“All cops are bad, but not all cops are necessarily bad people.” is probably a better way of wording it. But people are understandably upset and outraged right now over this shit show. Not really the time to grill anyone right now over wording.

Efesell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@htr10 said:

Well, I’m just glad a bunch of White men showed up to validate that Abby is right. You totally get it.

'Oh look another nasty topic' you say before replacing it with needlessly trying to devolve the topic.

htr10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By htr10

@efesell:

Honestly, your response is fair. My post was nasty. I have a big problem with this “white men are here to validate what women and non-white people said” culture. If people don’t see it by now, they’re not going to see it, so I’m not going to hijack this thread. Have a nice day.

tgjessie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ACAB

clintlandon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Thank you for posting this. It’s speaks to a lot of truths I see. It’s painful how many truly horrible people I’ve known become cops because their worst impulses are fostered there. It’s painful to see my partner’s brother in law assume if a black man knows him it’s because he arrested him. It’s painful to hear his son say he wants to be a cop but that they down have enough free reign anymore to “control the animals.”

Hurricrane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Now if only she would stop idolizing class traitors like Ellen.

ACAB goes without saying.