About Nvidia Control Panel Settings...

Tempa777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Should i always turn on Vsync and Tripple Buffering for any Game for the Control Panel?

After trying to figure out why Citra was skipping frames and lagging so much, i enabled those above mentioned settings (Citra had only vsync on) and now it runs buttery smooth.

Should i just enable them for any Game (Steam or Emulator)?

Also from my experience, turning Low Latency mode to Ultra makes things quite more responsive. I wonder why this is turned off as a defualt. I just discovered it now.

I play on a 60hz/1080p TV.

cikame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By cikame

If you play all your games with a controller absolutely, the main situations where you wouldn't want to use v-sync is for games that benefit from unlocked frame rates and when using a mouse, for example in Counter Strike where you want the most precision mouse aim possible, the higher your frame rate the less input latency there is, or RTS's, since v-sync is intentionally delaying what is shown on the screen in order to sync mouse input lag increases dramatically (some RTS's separate the mouse cursor from the render and are immune to this issue).

You mentioned emulation but it's worth noting many emulators use custom video plugins that don't obey Nvidia overrides, however pretty much all console games are frame rate locked so it's not something you need to worry about.

Low latency mode can have drawbacks, if you've got system resources to spare no problem but the mode utilises your CPU to promote and discard frames in a manner that promotes responsiveness, from what i understand, so using it in a game that is demanding a lot from your CPU might actually create more input lag or a stuttery image as frames are discarded, similarly if a game isn't pushing your hardware you might not see a benefit, just a higher CPU cost, Overwatch players report that it actually creates input lag so use it on a case by case basis or if you're trying to resolve an input lag issue.

I use v-sync for pretty much every game except where noted above, i only have a 60hz monitor so i only use higher frame rates for competitive shooters.

Edit: I didn't know what Citra was when i posted, i guess in this case it is obeying control panel settings, many people have more luck using Nvidia's v-sync options compared to those built into games, or in this case an emulator.

doomocrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 4

If you have a high refresh gsync monitor, you should be using the frame rate limiter, set to 3 under your display's max refresh; many games will cause the display controller to drop adaptive sync if the framerate is exceeded, which an older game or an eSports title will do. Now I suppose if you're actually competing for money you might not want to under 165hz, but literally everyone else in that boat should.

If you've got really good cooling in your case, turning off power management can add performance. But you're drawing more power, which means more heat and wear and tear.

In the modern driver regular low latency mode usually presents no issues; the new setting above that replicates the old setting people had trouble with.

If you have a TN panel, you should probably change texture optimization to performance; you're not seeing the colors it compresses anyway.

None of these performance tips will do as much for you as dusting out your video card's heatsink if you haven't done that in a while.

apewins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

No, turn them off in the control panel and then set them on a game-by-game basis (V-sync will likely be on by default in most games). You probably have games that you can run effortlessly at full settings, and games where you need to make some compromises, so it doesn't make sense to have them always on.