Activision Doesn't Like Female Leads, Do You?

• 91 results
Avatar image for kaosangel-DELETED
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KaosAngel
Link to the Article and whatnot 

Anyways, I want to talk about a certain powerful female lead, I know there are many but only one female lead has ever emotionally touched me as a person.  Her name is Aya Brea, and she's the star of Parasite Eve (parasite eve 2 never happened).   

No Caption Provided
That's Aya right there.  She's with the NYPD, and she's amazing.  She has depth that very few females hold, and in my opinion, Squaresoft's (notice the SOFT) best female lead in their history.  What about her makes her so special?   

She fights, and keeps fighting.  There isn't a bullshit love story in her game, nor is there some sick sexual fantasy about her.  She's on a mission to survive and to fight her sister from destroying the world.   

She fights a god damn t-rex brought back from the bones, rats with 3 heads, and a baby that's hellbent on ending the world.  She talks back, she's kind to children, and dare I say it...she is an angel (no literally, her final magic attack turns her into an angel of death).   

Parasite Eve is one of those games that just kicks so much ass, and it's mostly due to the fact that Aya is suck a kick-ass character.  I know they made a Parasite Eve 2, but I didn't like it as much.  It felt too much like Resident Evil at that point, and I much prefer the battle system to PE.   

Yes, there are loads of other females out there who are just as strong and amazing as Aya, but she's my favorite...and it proves Activision wrong.  What about you guys?  Any favorite fairly not-so-popular female leads?
Dingofighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Dingofighter

This just sounds ridiculous. Cancelling/Reforming a game because it had a female lead is just stupid.

Avatar image for video_game_king
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

User Lists: 14

#3  Edited By Video_Game_King

Have they heard of half the Resident Evil games? Metroid? Final Fantasy VI? Final Fantasy XIII? Any of those ring a bell?

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#4  Edited By Yummylee

Fuck you, man! Parasite Eve 2 happened and it was beautiful!!

thatfrood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#5  Edited By thatfrood

Mirror's Edge
Portal.

Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By Bionicicide

It matters to pubescent males whom are a healthy share of Activsion's audience.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Crap, I completely forgot about Terra, she might be Square's best...no wait, it's Aya.  Terra is up there though.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#8  Edited By Symphony
@KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Crap, I completely forgot about Terra, she might be Square's best...no wait, it's Aya.  Terra is up there though. "
Celes >>> Terra (though both are great, but Celes is my all-time fave main character)

Also, I agree with your sentiments about Aya and even that Parasite 2 was far inferior... they definitely did start going down the RE road which just wasn't the right move for Parasite Eve, imo.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Crap, I completely forgot about Terra, she might be Square's best...no wait, it's Aya.  Terra is up there though. "
Although I have yet to play Parasite Eve (hey, I still have a ton of PS1 RPGs to go), I imagine Terra still wins. How can you compete with this? Or the whole "transforming into a magical monster" thing?
eliminator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 43

#10  Edited By eliminator

I love the Fatal Frame girls.Dat ass.....ughhh dat ghost.

Yummylee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 88

User Lists: 24

#12  Edited By Yummylee

Also to actually contribute to the thread with favourite femme fatale: Hana Tsu Vashel. 

No Caption Provided

Even if she was a blatant sex appeal tactic, she was at least a really strong character that was well developed through the games.
Avatar image for manhattan_project
manhattan_project

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

They are playing to an audience they believe is more interested in male leads. So what?

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King:   
  I'll raise you a piano solo and industrial beats.  You NEED to play Parasite Eve man, it's one of Square's best.  It's only 7 hours too if you want to play it without the true ending in New Game +.   

EDIT:  The powers in Parasite Eve are all based on science too and not fantasy crap, that's why it's so amazing.  There's a lot of depth with Aya's story, and I can't talk about it due to spoilers.  >.>
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

1. The video doesn't seem to be showing up.
  2. 7 hours? I'm guessing it's less RPG and more survival horror, given that I finished RE3 in 6.
SefaRed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By SefaRed

I love games with female leads. I become so much more interested in a story when it centres on a woman, it's why I love RPG's so much or even stuff like The Sims. I think mainly because making a game with a female lead is such a departure from the norm. It's almost as if a male lead is the default choice when developers turn on their game making...thingy. To make a female lead they have to uncheck the male choice and tick the female one. I know there are many people that won't go near game with female leads, though. Maybe they are in the majority. 

When i look at marketing for most games that have a choice of gender they always choose a male character. I gues it's the safe, generic choice. They don't  run the risk of alienating anyone. 

Ah well, another reason to hate Activision.

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King: Nooo, it's a RPG trust me.  It plays like Chrono Trigger in a very small way, the story is just tightly bound cause it's a direct sequel from the novel.  The second game is more RE though, plays just like it...but I can promise you that PE1 plays nothing like RE.
munnyman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18  Edited By munnyman5

Note: like 90% of the time, when a game DOES have a female lead, she's sexier than holy hell. 

Or maybe that's just how it appears to me because I'm a nerd with low standards for what counts as attractive.

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

There was a novel? Also, if it's an RPG, why only 7 hours? Hell, even Chrono Trigger (barely) broke the 10 hour mark.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King: It was a novel first, then some people at Square loved it, and asked the writer to write a sequel in video game form.  They mention the novel a lot, but I was young back when PE came out and just recently read the book.  You don't need the novel to understand, I doubt most people who played PE at the time even knew there was a book before it. 

No dude, it's a RPG trust me.  Check out gameplay footage of it, you level up and everything.  I think I hit to level 27 my first run, but it's really hard to level with how the game works.  I'm telling you, it's a RPG.  Check out vids.
Bionicicide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bionicicide

Technology restraints has also been cited as a reason to use men (shaved heads), but not for long... as long as this hair tech isn't a resource hog.

Avatar image for wintersnowblind
WinterSnowblind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#22  Edited By WinterSnowblind
@Symphony said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Celes >>> Terra (though both are great, but Celes is my all-time fave main character)  Also, I agree with your sentiments about Aya and even that Parasite 2 was far inferior... they definitely did start going down the RE road which just wasn't the right move for Parasite Eve, imo. "
Not sure why some consider Celes to be the main character of VI.  Even the parts where you couldn't play as Terra, she was still the main focus of the story.
I'm still mad about how much they completely ruined her character in Dissidia though, that's a perfect example of how NOT to do a female character, lead or not.

Since when was Terra a helpess girl who needed an 8 year old boy to look after her?  UGH.
OmegaPirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By OmegaPirate

I LOVED Parasite Eve, and didnt even mind Parasite eve 2 to be honest - but yeah, not gonna lie i saw the image of Hana back on page one and she was a pretty awesome character (and can do a neat trick with a towel) 

Damn now i'm all excited for 3rd birthday

Undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 18

#24  Edited By Undeadpool
@Bionicicide said:

"It matters to pubescent males whom are a healthy share of Activsion's audience. "

This sums it up quite nicely. 
Anyone here like Female Shepard better than Male? (It helps that Jennifer Hale is an amazing voice actress, I know, but my question still stands). 
The problem with this is also that a female lead just becomes a honeypot far too often. Bayonetta was another fantastic example of a sexy female lead who was still a strong female. The problem with the Resident Evil series is that Jill Valentine might as well be Joe Valentine and Chris Redfield might as well be Christina. There's nothing about those characters that are especially male or female as the series is almost completely asexual (cheesecake camera angles and costumes aside).
DuhQbnSiLo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By DuhQbnSiLo

Female Sheppard > Male Sheppard

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

Not denying that it's an RPG, it's just weird to see an RPG referred to in single-digit hours.
Atary77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#27  Edited By Atary77

Not sure if it's been mentioned yet ,but I like Shanoa from Castlevania: Order of Ecclasia and the recent Harmony of Despair. She dosen't say much and armed with powerful magic and superior combat skills she's a lady that's all business. Not to mention a killer back tatoo.

Gabriel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#28  Edited By Gabriel

If it makes sense, playing a persona game as a female would probably be all right, but the games Like Gears and COD are probably best with male leads.

fwylo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#29  Edited By fwylo

I don't like females in general nevermind female leads.

Ace829

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Ace829
@WinterSnowblind said:
" @Symphony said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Celes >>> Terra (though both are great, but Celes is my all-time fave main character)  Also, I agree with your sentiments about Aya and even that Parasite 2 was far inferior... they definitely did start going down the RE road which just wasn't the right move for Parasite Eve, imo. "
Not sure why some consider Celes to be the main character of VI.  Even the parts where you couldn't play as Terra, she was still the main focus of the story. I'm still mad about how much they completely ruined her character in Dissidia though, that's a perfect example of how NOT to do a female character, lead or not.  Since when was Terra a helpess girl who needed an 8 year old boy to look after her?  UGH. "
I do like the redesign she recieved in Dissidia, but I do agree that her portrayal was not very flattering.
ShadowSkill11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By ShadowSkill11

They are just trying to be realistic. Women are not natural leaders compared to non-emo men. They are too emotional, indecisive, and skip logical thinking to favor "intuition". They can never be as strong or as fast as a man either.... just like the WNBA and every sport ever made. Women are much better suited for support roles in service to men. The man is the sword and the woman can be a sheath.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e49e9175da37
deactivated-5e49e9175da37

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like female leads in video games, because most video games are about power fantasies for players, and that means you get to watch a good looking female character lay waste to fools.  And I can admit an unnatrual fixation on hard women who can kick ass... the rougher the better.

Even when they make the female character the helpless distressed damsel, I can accept it as long as it makes sense.  Most people hated how Hope Estheim acted like a little mopey brat kid... the fact that he is a 14 year old kid lets me accept that.  If he were an adult, it would be out of character to act childish.  When the supposedly tough chick character is rendered helpless by being grabbed on the upper arm, then I start to get frustrated.

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#33  Edited By NathHaw
@Video_Game_King said:
" @KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Although I have yet to play Parasite Eve (hey, I still have a ton of PS1 RPGs to go), I imagine Terra still wins. How can you compete with this? Or the whole "transforming into a magical monster" thing? "
YOU ALWAYS PLAY THAT!   ...and I always like it.
Symphony

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#34  Edited By Symphony
@WinterSnowblind said:

" @Symphony said:

" @KaosAngel said:
" @Video_Game_King said:
" Final Fantasy VI?  "
Not sure why some consider Celes to be the main character of VI.  Even the parts where you couldn't play as Terra, she was still the main focus of the story. I'm still mad about how much they completely ruined her character in Dissidia though, that's a perfect example of how NOT to do a female character, lead or not.  Since when was Terra a helpess girl who needed an 8 year old boy to look after her?  UGH. "
Because she IS the main character in the world of ruin. You control her from that point forward (yes, you can swap her out of the team, but that's beside the point as the same can be said for Terra), the story revolves around her coming to terms with herself, with loss, and then setting out finding the others. Yes ,Terra plays a main role, but from the World of Ruin on, Celes is the focal character -- much of the story from that point on focuses on her search for Locke and eventually finding him and the two of them reuniting as he finally lets go of his past.
Jazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 37

#35  Edited By Jazz

I love decent female protagonists. 
I haven't played the longest journey in ages, but she was cool..Jade from Beyond Good and Evil was great, and Lara Croft sold shit loads of in her time, girls from Fear Effect.... I'm desperately waiting for the 3rd Birthday and the old Parasite Eve games to be released on psn. Kerrigan anyone?
So once again, Fuck activision and it's attempt to manipulate the markets

Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Video_Game_King
@Bloviator: 

Wait, I do? I realize that I play FF6, but not that often.
trophyhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#37  Edited By trophyhunter

I do

NathHaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#38  Edited By NathHaw
@Video_Game_King: I'm exaggerating a bit, but I see you play Terra and Kefka's themes from time to time.  Terra's Theme is probably my favorite music from a Final Fantasy game. 
gamer_152

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 71

User Lists: 6

#39  Edited By gamer_152  Moderator

This is ridiculous, female leads can be just as good as male leads and having primarily played male leads throughout the years I'm interested in seeing more games with female leads.

Lemoncookie01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Lemoncookie01
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By KaosAngel
@Symphony: I think i get what you're saying.  It's like saying Harvey Dent was the protagonist and not Batman in The Dark Knight.   But it's still Terra's story, she's the catalyst of the entire plot, and the story wouldn't be there without her.  The rest of the cast are just there, and their struggles are different from the struggle that pushes the story. 

Maybe, I'm just a sucker for Terra and her green hair.  :P

@Video_Game_King: I think it's due to the target audience for PE was towards adults.  I don't think adults would want to play a epic 40+ hour game back then, and the plot is so tight that that I couldn't see them stretching it out without boring the plot up.
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

Wait, adults don't like long games? I thought it was kids who don't like long games.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King: This was back in 1996-1997 with the Japanese adult gamers.  :P
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

Weren't they huge on RPGs back in the 90s (and now), though? It's not like they were selling this to a pre-FF7 world.
KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By KaosAngel
@Video_Game_King: PE didn't sell that well in Japan, the book came out there first and it was made clear the game was a sequel to the novel.  The book was made for adults, and it's a pretty hard read (or at least the English was).  PE wasn't for everyone, even to this day the M rating is really strong compared to M rated games now.   

The plot would be boring as shit for kids, and I know I skipped most the plot until I played it again a second time as an adult.  I think that's why PE2 plays just like a Resident Evil game, and dropped the style of plot the book and original game had (they needed to fit to the mainstream).  Give it a shot man, it would be interesting playing PE for the first time as a mature adult rather than a 12 year old kid who only bought it cause the Square logo was on it. 

Also read the book before or after you play it, the game pretty much takes place right after the book...and explains a lot of the science and reasoning behind everything.   

PLAY PARASITE EVE! 

EDIT:  Yes I know the game sold a solid 1 million units in Japan but that is low for a Square game in Japan during the 90s.  Considering the game was hyped to no end with FF7 by it's side.   

PLAY PARASITE EVE!  YOU LEARN SCIENCE OF CELLS!
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Video_Game_King
@KaosAngel: 

Again, I need to play some other PS1 RPGs first. I still haven't even touched Xenogears.
aleryn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#47  Edited By aleryn

Yeah there oughta be more of them, but if they don't sell, I can see where Activision is coming from.  They're a business first, that publisher in particular.

Oh and cool you liked Parasite Eve so much, OP.  Shame I never tried it.

@Video_Game_King

said:

" @KaosAngel:   There was a novel? Also, if it's an RPG, why only 7 hours? Hell, even Chrono Trigger (barely) broke the 10 hour mark. 

Again, I need to play some other PS1 RPGs first. I still haven't even touched Xenogears.
Ten Hours?  Damn man, you're either one efficient power gamer, or never blink!  
And yeah give Xenogears a shot.  If you can read between the lines of occasional translation strangeness, it has one of the most in depth and quality stories I've seen in a JRPG.  Excellent battle system and difficulty too.  Just remember that if you do try it, the first 10 or 15 hours of the game is MEH.  Once you get out of a certain desert town, it opens way up.  Oh and lastly, the soundtrack is lovely.  Same guy that did 'Trigger.
JellyFish_Gsus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By JellyFish_Gsus

Cant go wrong with some tomb raider

ryanwho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By ryanwho

That explains why Kerrigan got turned into a damn princess. 

KaosAngel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By KaosAngel
@ryanwho said:
" That explains why Kerrigan got turned into a damn princess.  "
Oh god, does this mean Kerrigan can't be the protagonist in the Zerg Expansion?!