Adam Sessler Departing Rev3 Games and Games Media Entirely

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 15

#1  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

In somewhat shocking and unexpected news, Adam Sessler just posted on Twitter and Tumblr that he is departing Rev3 Games and leaving behind his 16 years of covering video games to take on other endeavors.

Adam has been a big force in video games ever since his early days on TechTV, and he really paved the way for a lot of the methods we associate with modern media coverage of video games.

It's a huge hit to the industry to lose a pro like Adam, but best of luck to him in whatever he does next. Early indications are that he may be going the route of N'Gai Croal and doing consulting on video games.

Wolfgame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I thought you were trolling, but this does seem to be the case. I grew up watching Adam on Tech TV, I never really followed him too close on G4 and even less so on Rev 3. I always wished him the very best though and I hope he finds happiness/success in any and all future ventures.

jiggajoe14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By jiggajoe14

Well I certainly did not see this coming. Wish him the best (& maybe a little less stress).

Aetheldod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

The bad thing is that maybe he was the only gaming journalist that tried to critizise games beyond the usual "its sexist or cool or whatever" , he wasnt there yet but it was a first step. Hope some one fills that gap.

Samaritan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well this is nuts. Adam seemed really well embedded over at Rev3; that seemed like a long-term gig for him.

abendlaender

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

According to his Twitter profile he is the "President of TheoryHead, Inc. A consultancy for entertainment and media." but I don't know if this is new or serious. Good luck to him.

ottoman673

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wasn't it Sessler who had that huge twitter melodramatic explosion just before the PS4 launched?

Not particularly surprised, but i'll miss him, no less.

jay_ray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#8  Edited By jay_ray

Sounds like he's going to work with a game studio given the statement

KillEm_Dafoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By KillEm_Dafoe

Shit, man....I've always really liked the guy, even when I didn't agree with him. He was definitely one of the most important voices in the field. I hope to still see him pop up from time to time.

bigjeffrey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He'll probably go work for microsoft

FinalDasa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 16

#12 FinalDasa  Moderator

Wow. If anything he deserves a break.

Hope he doesn't stay away from the industry for too long. He's a great critical voice and in everything I've seen him in always an intelligent viewpoint.

musubi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 17

Wow, a big loss for the game industry. While in recent years I've disagreed with a large majority of his reviews/opinions on games he is by far one of the most well spoken guys to ever step in front of a TV camera and review games. I gotta say the few episodes of the bombcast he was on are among my favorites. He is a good dude. I can't say this was entirely unexpected if his meltdown prior to the PS4 launch was any indication he seems tired and needing of a change of scenery. I have to imagine though that 16 years dedicated to one profession means you have a large passion for it. I suspect he will be back but i think he just needs a break he might just be burnt out. Either way thanks, Adam.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@abendlaender said:

According to his Twitter profile he is the "President of TheoryHead, Inc. A consultancy for entertainment and media." but I don't know if this is new or serious. Good luck to him.

I think that's legit. There is a California business registration for a TheoryHead, Inc. with one Adam Sessler on file as president. However, it appears to be a nearly four year old company listing, so I really don't know what to make of it.

Maybe he's taking a page out of the N'Gai Croal playbook and is going to do consulting on video games.

Hailinel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 28

@ottoman673: Yeah, that was him.

That episode aside, I don't have that much exposure to Sessler's work aside from some of his videos and such. He always rubbed me the wrong way. I won't miss his contributions, personally.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

That's really weird. Hopefully they do more stuff with Tara Long being adorable and Anthony Carboni cracking wise because Rev3 just lost their main hook. Former GB intern Nick really oughta not be getting a push for more camera time, he's good as a chat moderator guy but that's about it. I don't always agree with Adam but it's been really interesting watching him navigate having a little more power at Rev3, especially with recent stuff like the inFamous Second Son review and Arkham Knight screenshot reveal where he was essentially taking the publishers to task for their review disclosure agreements in an attempt to be completely transparent with the audience. I also thought Address the Sess was oddly engaging and have always wondered why Jeff, with his love of call-in shows and general radio madness, hasn't ever tried something similar.

FLStyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 17

I wasn't particularly fond of Adam Sessler but good luck to him.

Please don't become a full time fighting game commentator, your attempt at EVO 2010 was embarrassing for all involved.

"A FLURRY OF PUNCHES!"

nightriff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 7

Didn't really care for him all to much but I have come to respect him to a degree. The Bombcast he did about E3 Mysteries was fucking hilarious.

Avatar image for deactivated-6050ef4074a17
deactivated-6050ef4074a17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sessler has desperately needed a break from games media, if the last couple years have been any indication. He's just been kind of a mess. I hope this helps him collect his thoughts and that this all goes well for him.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Considering the shape that video game journalism is now it's the best thing he could have done. Watching Adam over the years he seemed to have lost interest in the industry and just seemed to be bored of it, that's how he came across over time as a viewer. I think he'd fit nicely in somewhere like CNET, mostly because the press around electronics isn't shit.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Bane122

@nodima: Nick was an intern?

And yeah, first Max and now Adam... Rev3 has lost a lot of its draw for me recently.

spraynardtatum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope he comes back...If he wants to.

Illuminosopher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Illuminosopher

never cared much for his opinions on games.

Nodima

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25  Edited By Nodima

@bane122 He participated in the Pac-Man and maybe also the Mortal Kombat scrub leagues. He was also Ryan's No. 2 whipping boy after Kessler.

TheHT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

I enjoyed most of what I saw of him. I think it's great to see someone who been doing something for 16 years decide they're going to try something else. He seemed like a cool guy, if not one who had a bit of a thing when it came to dealing with stress. I hope he finds what he's looking for.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a46aa62043d1
deactivated-5a46aa62043d1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll miss the old Sessler, but he really had his up his ass for the past couple of years.

ragnar_mike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

That sounds like his personal company for various laws and tax purposes. I suspect it might even just be him and his wife. A lot of independent contractors do that, pro wrestlers and big money freelancers in particular.

Anyway, I hope he finds something awesome to do. I ran into him once during the holidays at a Ralph's and everybody was busy so it was really just a "Hey Adam, I'm a big fan! Bye!" kind of thing, but he's always seemed like the right sort of folk. I'm always holding out hope he gets the bug again and would be interested in joining the GB crew. We have some big shoes to fill, both on the personality and the infrastructure side, and people like Adam would certainly help.

I look forward to the Ken Levine, Adam Sessler, and Shawn Elliot project announcement at E3 2016.

Slag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

He didn't seem particularly happy after he left TV, can't blame him.

That being said it would have been nice for him to a good bye episode of "address the sess" or something. He had a loyal following of fans and I'm sure they would have appreciated a chance to say good bye to him.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By RazielCuts

And thus I unsub from Rev3Games.

Oldirtybearon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

So is he taking the N'Gai Croal route? Video game "consultants" are typically the mock reviewers Jeff talked about that one time. You know, do the same thing you've been doing just for better pay. Can't say I blame him if that's the case.

@soapy86 said:

I'll miss the old Sessler, but he really had his up his ass for the past couple of years.

That too.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@razielcuts said:

Same, and it was the only Youtube channel I've ever subscribed to. Max was alright, but he left. Tara is good too, but I don't care much for anyone else in their current stable of on-air personalities.

Adam Sessler was THE reason I followed Rev3 Games. No point to continue following it going forward.

stackboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 3

Wow, I wonder what Rev3 games will look like without him.

Avatar image for deactivated-60dda8699e35a
deactivated-60dda8699e35a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I never followed this guy, but best of luck to him.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@stackboy said:

Wow, I wonder what Rev3 games will look like without him.

Like it did before

Humanity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 16

#36  Edited By Humanity

I watched Adam back on X-Play before they tacked Morgan Webb onto that show and she eventually became it. Nothing against Webb, but I did enjoy how weird Sessler was back then and the entire show was so low production and awkward that it became very endearing to me. I didn't really follow him onto G4 as TV execs were getting their hooks way too deep into that entire production. When he went from TV to YouTube I thought it was a weird step down for him, and he didn't seem that happy with it but what do I know maybe it was a blast for him. Can't say I would agree with the sentiment that it's a "huge hit" to the industry as Sessler has been winding down and slipping into the background for a while now - but he is an honest, intelligent and knowledgeable guy that has been in the biz for a while and that is certainly something you don't see so much these days.

AMyggen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm not really surprised that he's going in to the consulting business, seems like it'll fit him well with his degree, past work etc.

I never really followed his work, but always liked what I saw when I watched some random Rev3 video, when he was on the Bombcast between jobs a couple of years ago. I'm a lot more bummed about Jeff Green going into the consulting business to be honest.

Best of luck to him.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@razielcuts said:

Same, and it was the only Youtube channel I've ever subscribed to. Tara and Max are alright, but Adam Sessler is the reason I followed it.

Yeah, those guys were okay and had good chemistry but more in a presenter kind've way, like when they did the news at Destructoid. I didn't really gleam much critical thinking from them though. Rather than Sess, I may not've always agreed with all of his opinions but at least they were thoughtful and well reasoned.

pr1mus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#39  Edited By pr1mus

He seemed really annoyed at a lot of things gaming related in the last year so it's not surprising that he'd be seeking to do something else.

Now he has to appear on the bombcast like he did after leaving G4.

chaser324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By chaser324  Moderator

@razielcuts: Yeah. I agree. My point primarily was that Tara is basically the only remaining person that I like, and that's not enough for me to continue subscribing.

Cheetoman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't like this. Probably will stop watching rev3 since he is the only thing I liked about it. I loved x-play as a kid which is why I kept up with rev3. I wish he posted this yesterday and it was all a joke.

pyromagnestir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 23

I like the occasions when he's showed up on the bombcast. It'd be a shame if we've seen the last of him.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@chaser324: So who's going to leave the gaming press next?

Find out next week on "The Game Review Price is Right!"

Loading Video...

Pontron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

He gave the most intelligent, and articulate reviews. Kind of one of my go to guys for "Should I get this game?" A legend in games media for sure, I just wish he wasn't on G4 for a lot of his career as that show was pretty much ass.

RazielCuts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the occasions when he's showed up on the bombcast. It'd be a shame if we've seen the last of him.

I wonder if @patrickklepek could get him on an ep of Bombin' In The A.M. sometime soon, those guys go back from the G4 'Feedback' days.

Onomatopoeia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Onomatopoeia

@pontron said:

I just wish he wasn't on G4 for a lot of his career as that show was pretty much ass.

G4 was Adam at his best, then it all went awry.

Pontron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@onomatopoeia: I liked Sessler on it of course, but I just hated G4 in general I guess.

Castiel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#48  Edited By Castiel

Well there goes my interest in Rev3. He was the only reason that I followed that channel, but with him leaving I don't see myself following their channel anymore. I guess I'm not too surprised, Adam has sounded a bit more frustrated lately about how some of the stuff in the industry is covered, and I can't really say I blame him in that regard.

Bane122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nodima: I'm going to have to go rewatch that now. I never realized he was here at one point.

ArbitraryWater

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 66

He's said some dumb stuff on the twitters over the past year, but the guy is about on the level of Jeff in terms of how long he's been doing this thing and how long he's been in front of the camera. I think getting away from traditional games media might be a good thing for him, he didn't seem very settled after he left TV.